BIRADS 2- Surgery consult

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

BIRADS 2- Surgery consult

I had my first mammo done at age 40.  It revealed with a second mammo and US a simple cyst.  I didnt have one done last year but recently had another one done and got a call back for spot compression and US.  After the US the radiologist came in a spoke to me and told me that there is another simple cyst and nothing to worry about and apologized for having me come back again because he didnt know that I had cysts previously.  I had went to a clinic and got a voucher to pay for the recent mammos.  They sent a report to both my attending gyn/ob and also to the ob/gyn at the clinic.  I received a call this morning from the clinic telling me that he wants me to see a surgeon.  I called my regular ob/gyn office and they pulled my report from the chart and told me that my dr had signed off on it and that they usually dont recommend a surgery consult unless its a BIRAD 4 score, mine is a 2.  I told the nurse what the radiologist said and she can not see a reason why they would want me to see a surgeon.  She told me that surgeons dont normally do aspiration unless its large and painful, which mine is not.  Mine is 10x6x8 mm.  I am lost and confused.  The nurse told me to not schedule a mammo next time within the week prior to or during my period.  Both times I had it done it was within days before my period started.  She also stated that this dr wanting me to see a surgeon is very busy with his own practice plus working for this clinic.  What should I do.  I am in no pain.  Thank you!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms are present? I understand your confusion regarding the result of your imaging tests. Birads 2 usually suggests benign findings such as calcified fibroadenomas, or fat-containing lesions such as oil cysts or lipomas. which have characteristically benign appearances, and may be labeled with confidence. To clear any doubt, it is best that you discuss the result with your doctor and have direct clinical examination done for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.
Hi there and welcome.  I certainly understand the fear of having an abnormal mammo which a birad score of anything reprsents.  I had a bi rad 5 and had to have a biopsy.  

I'd actually call a breast surgeon's office and explain the situation.  Let them tell you if they feel it is necessary to see you or not.  I've had a cyst asperated in the doctor's office and that would not be why a surgeon would want to see you.  Instead, they may want to check the area.  They can do needle biopsies which are done in office and aren't surgical.  I've had this done.  But I would certainly consult with a surgeon's office explaining the situation and asking THEM if they think it is necessary to see you.  

And I'd schedule another mammo for as soon as you can have it covered financially.  

lots of luck