BIRTH CONTROL and SMOKING

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

BIRTH CONTROL and SMOKING

i went to my doctor and he strongly suggested that i get on birth control to induce a monthly period (because i am extremely irregular)..and, obviously, to avoid pregnancy...seeing how i am 19. he prescribed YAZ (drospirenone & ethinyl estradiol) for me. i was wondering if anyone has taken this specific kind of birth control and how their experience was with it?

also, in general, i've heard that smoking while on birth control can be dangerous and put you at risk of blood clots and heart attacks/strokes. im only 19...could i still be at risk?!

also, is it dangerous to smoke marijuana while on birth control???

thank you!
Hey...I was on yasmin birth control for almost 2 years, and smoked as well during that time...no problems in that field, smoking can make anything worse but over a long period of time, not instantly.If you're over 35 it gets a bit tricky, but at 19 you shouldn't worry about it.I seriously have no idea, chemically speaking, if marihuana effects the pill, I would imagine not, otherwise we would have heard of it, wouldn't we?!?!good luck x
It's better not to smoke in general, but it really doesn't put you at much higher risk at all. The biggest risks from smoking and birth control are for women over 35. And to answer your other question, smoking pot is no different in this case from smoking cigarettes - the risks are the same.
It's never a good idea to smoke while on BCP's, but is not absolutely contraindicated until your 30's.  You do assume some risks of blood clots and stroke by continuing to smoke while taking BCP's.  The chances are slim, but do exist.
I am 42, and had a blood clot (Deep Thrombosis) when I was 24. I was a smoker and on the pill. I had tests done after my recovery to make sure this was not caused by something hereditary (SP?). There was nothing. The only thing they could contribute it to was the smoking and the pill. I quit smoking after the blood clot and started again within a year. I have attempted to quit many times after that especially during my 3rd and last pregnancy. But, finally stopped 3 years ago this December.  Smoking is so hard to stop. If you are 19, you may be able to stop without the difficulty of waiting till your in your 40's to stop. There is no telling how much damage my body has taken because of this. It is not worth the risk. Wow I am lecturing. I have 3 daughters. ages 23,19 and 10. So I guess I am talking on motherly terms. I went to my OB/GYN when I first felt the pain. I thought it was my ovary. He found nothing.He never suspected a blood clot because I was so young. I ended up in the emergency room within a few days and stayed there for 2 weeks. They were never able to dissolve the blood clot. It still blocks the flow of blood to my leg. I will always have to be careful of getting another. I apologize if this was to wordy.
D
I have been looking for the same answer to the question. Is it ok to smoke marijuana while taking the pill when you are 35 years or older. I read on the web site for Ortho Tricyclin (which i have been on since i was 13, i am 35 since Sept.) It said Cigarettes and does not say smoking in general. That makes me think that smoking pot while taking the pill and over 35 are ok. I sure hope so!
I have been wondering the same thing... I am 19 and on LoEstrin and I was wondering the side effect of me smoking while I am on birthcontrol. The main thing that I have been worried about is blood clots. Is it possible at this young of an age to develope a blood clot because of smoking on birth control???
My doctor just put me on Levora .15/30, and i smoke a few cigarettes a day. I am also 19. Will this harm me?