BLOOD CLOTS DURING PERIOD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 201-314 comments:
hey, really never thought people had so many problems with their period as mine was always fairly regular, though quite heavy lasting 5-7days. started when i was just turned 11 so pretty early and im 20 now.
i was 3 months pregnant but i got ill and complications meant i was forced to have an abortion. i began taking the pill after I had the termination but got an infection in my womb due to the surgery being incomplete and the placenta being left inside of me and blocking my cervix ( sorry for the gory detail) that has made me really sore, swollen and constantly heavy bleeding for a month. the doctors gave me antibiotics and said to just watch for clots cos that could be a sign that something is really wrong. my problem is that im now on my pill free week and so am bleeding heavier due to my problems mixed with a period. but im worried cos i passed a clot yesterday and dont know if this is a sign of something serious or just part of my period. though i have never passed a clot in a period before and i have really bad cramps, so i am kind of freaking out. especially cos my moron of a boyfriend that got me pregnant walked out on me 6 days after the termination, cos he's really nice like that, so i dont really have anyone i can talk to about it... advice please!
My period has always been quite normal. I had a baby 15 months ago, and ever since I had him I have been having really heavy periods. They started to get better, but now they are just gettin worse.  Half the time it is late by almost 4 weeks, and then when I get it, its so bad i can barely get up the energy to do anything.  I have clots and when i urinate the whole toilet is just red.  The symptoms that I have are migraine, shakiness, nausea, and tiredness.  Its terrible. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
so... i need to know what this is i have been spotting for a month now and it has had blood clots in it i am sexually active but i havent did it in months. i am on birth control and im scared something is seriously wrong. im only 16 years old and im scared too tell my mom. can any one help me if so please email me at ***@****.
thanks very much. answers will be greatly appriciated.:)
I am 50 and have had pretty normal periods up till now. I have had my period this time for 8 days. Heavy period with allot of clots. Is this normal for a person of my age?
okay so i had my period for like 3 weeks when i was on birth control but then my mom made me stop it cause she thought it was messing up my period but now during my regular period with out Bc im having really big blood clots & they really hurt - btw im only 16 years old .
I went to my doctor, and after a routine blood test, she commented that I'm really low in my iron. Then she asked me how my periods were. In the last year it had went from a light 5 days to heavy duty, large clots extending to 10 days or more. She said that was were the iron was going (make you run down feeling along with problems) she also has me scheduled for an ultrasound on my ovries... my suggestion, if you have any concerns, see the doctor, get a blood test to make sure you have no defienticies..
It's been a week now that u have been passing huge clots. There is no flow just clots. I can't cough sneeze laugh or anything or I will have a mess. I wear tampon and pad but the clots are so huge the still fill up everything. I went one day no clots. So I went back to work and sneezed while talking with my boss and some clients and a grapefruit sized clot passed through my pad and down my leg out of my pants and at me feet. I was mordified. I am not sexually active but have been under stress with the lost of my
mother in December. Any advice as to how to stop this. I can't go out in public like this!!!
Good grief: get yourself to a doctor.  You may have uterine polyps or fibroids.

hi im 13 i have a very heavy period i got my period when i was just 12 and its always been very heavy with blood clots its very painful is this normal because i dont have a clue ?
I have always had regular periods but for the last 9 months non stop i have had to wear a pad everyday, as i dont know when im going to be on one day to the next,my periods are very heavy irregular and i have clots he size of a satsuma,i have been the doctors and am due to go for a scan,my appointment came through and i have to have two,one which is the normal scan and the other a transvaginal scan this is going to take 40 mins to do,but my doctor reckons that i might need an hysterectomy by the sounds of it....it really makes me depressed and irritable with my close family,i would give everything up to not be like this i am never without a pad on and it is making me so sore......?
I'm 43 and my periods has always been heavy from day one. Lately,it's been getting worse I mean the clots are terrible and very painful as they pass. I want to just jump out a window at times. So what am I to do
hi my name is destyne i started my period when i was only 9 years and they started as jus the regular bleeding for 5-7 days until about two months ago i am now 14 and my period has been goin for three months ill stop for about two days and then its back on again and i have golf ball size blood clots in my period and i know its not regular so can anyone tell me what i need to do ?
I'm passing clots now but they look real brown started off as a period then went to clots I'm very scared need help..
i startedmy perion when i was 11 i am now 26 i have a very non ordinary period it comes when it wants and leave when it wants i have gone over 1 year with out haveing one befor and them i bleed for weeks and as of now almost 2 months it is light then heavy i went the the emergency room once befor because i was in so much pain at the er i passed a blood clot as big as a softball the nurse asked was i pregnate i said no they tested it and said it was just a clot now i am haveing the same problem again my flow is extremely heavy with larg clots i have been to several docs and all they can tell ne is to take birthcontrol but if i do that then i will never get pregnat so i do not take the irth control anyone have any advice for me?
hi, i am 16 years old and i have a had a very regular period for the past few years. i am sexually active and even though we do not use a condom all the time, i make sure he doesnt *** inside of me ever. on friday though(a few days before my period was supposed to start), i had some spotting after i went to te bathroom, and i could get it out by using toilet paper, meaning it wouldnt have come out by itself. i read about implantation bleeding and precum, which scared me into thinking i was pregnant.on saturday morning i took two clearblue pregnancy tests and they both came off negative. i talked to someone from planed parenthood on the phone and they told me that those pregnancy tests could not be accurate because my period wasnt supposed to start for a few days. then on sunday i got my period heavier and i needed more tampons(but most of the blood was clotted) i had breasts sore and cramps as well. its monday now, and i started on birth control today, but im still not positive that im not pregnant because soreness and cramps could also be part of early pregnancy( i read about women who kept tir period all through their pregnancies). could i still use a pregnancy test if its the first week im on the pill? would it still give me the right answer? or would it say i wasnt pregnant even if i was?
i get my period it seems like when my uterus feels like it. i started out a little abnormal cuz i would have my period every 40 days then i went for a year having a period once every 3 months no birth control. now im having it every othet month and i also have blood clots the size of a paper clip but a little wider and i get them for 2 to 3 days along with a heavy flow. i never had a baby or been pregnant.
i am 16 years old and i was late coming on my pariod, and when i did come on there was hardly no blood but there were loads of blood clots, i am getting really scared and dont know what to do.
if anyone could help, i would be very thankful (:
thankyou xx
I have very irregular periods. i have been wondering if im pregnant but urine tests have been wrong but i started a new pill and then started clotting really large clots and extremely heavy bleeding i dont know whats happening
I have had my period since I was 10, now I'm 26. I have always had a more heavy flow from 5-8 day with a predictable heavy to light pattern, and always at the same time every month. The only time I ever skiped was when I was pregnant and I am sexually active now with a newer birth control method for me called VCF. Now this month I spotted for the first four days and had a heavy last 4 days with dark clots the size of a quarter. I have clots before, but not this big. Is this should I be worried?
I have had heavy periods since I was 11 years old and I am now 23. Birth control never helped with this. But every time I menstruate I have clots, in fact I doubt I've ever had a period without at least a few clots! I've had ultrasounds for PCOS and a laparoscopy to check for fibroids, endometriosis etc and everything was fine. Some people are just genuinely unlucky and have unexplained heavy periods! I have five sisters and all of them have had clots with periods even though they don't suffer from heavy periods like I do. I really wouldn't worry too much about it, it's very common. However if it is a real problem for you or you're freaked out then you might just be better off mentioning it to your doctor, for your own peace of mind if nothing else!
ive been on my period for 2 weeks now and itss starting to get heavy and im passing really big clots.
I am 24 years old and I just wanted to know why does it hurt when the blood clot is coming out
If you have heavy painful periods every month like I used to have RUN don't walk to a health food or supplement store and pick up OONA 2. It is a natural supplement that contains ginger and cramp bark. I have had extremely heavy and painful periods for years and have tried everything under the sun and have practically overdosed on ibuprofen every month, by taking 4 pills every 3 hours for a week or more during my period. This last period I took about 4 OONA 2 pills with only two ibuprofen about every 4 hours or so and was amazed with the results. My period was virtually pain free and was much shorter too. I also took the OONA 2 a few days before my period began and it helped with the pre-period back pain also. I can't recommend these enough.
I am 21. I have had irregular periods since I've started. At first I had painful periods where I would get sick when it came on...I went to the doctor for them because they had started lasting 3 weeks out of a month! I was really scared because I was like I am really losing a lot of blood. Now I get no signs of a period....It come and goes as it please I might go 2 months on and of everyday skip a month or two and come back on or it might bleed for a whole month. I had the ultra sound down and one doctor said it was nothing. Has anyone dealt with this?
Every month that i get my period i have heavy bleeding. I gone to see soe doctors and they tell me every thing is fine i know there is something wrong. It just so happen today i felt a little unconfterble cause i'm on period right now i was sitting down watching the TV. I felt something comeing out i went to the restroom and i saw a big blood cloth on my pad i got scard it was the size of a baseball. I need some help is this normal like the doctor say? HELP
I am 28 years old and for as long as I can remember I've had an AWFUL period.Its never the same length in time and when I was younger it was damn near crippling. Lately I've been passing these clots and Im getting REALLY worried. Im terrified of going to the doctors and being probed and stared at for being a freak of nature. I am a woman and I am sexually active whenever Im not losing blood...but if I have stop having sex to get rid of this TORTURE..Im willing to think about it! LOL NO but seriously I need help. Im sluggish and tired all the time Im a black woman and I look really pale half the time. I just want to start living a normal life for once.Im getting married soon. I'd hate to have to put off sex months at a time just because Im on the rag for months at a time. Plus, it seems I will never get pregnant we've been trying FOREVER. I just want to have a baby and soon..Whats wrong with me?
Good grief!  get yourself to a doctor asap!  You could have uterine polyps or fibroids.  You definitely sound like you have anaemia from the heavy loss of blood.  And, you could have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).  

All of these affect fertility and all of these are treatable!!!
I am in the medical field that is normal but larger the clots get the lower your hemiglobin along with extended periodd. On top of a d&c you need a hysteroscopy.this is visual look at your inner uterus.

D&C's are a blind procedure. Ask for an interuterine morcellator. It gets all of your polyp ot fibroid causing your clots and bleeding.
i am only 14 and have only just started my period. i know they say its irregular but i dont know if this is normal. the 1st time lasted 6days and was very light but the 2nd time lasted 11 days and one of those days i coughed and ALOT came out, it went through my pad and all over my thighs, i was so embarassed. surely it shouldnt be this irregular!?
someone help?
When I read your message I could relate to it 100%. Have you had this checked out? I have exactly the same problem that they have told me is PCOS. This morning I had heavy clotting, while on the toilet I passed out. Its so so tiring and scary when this happens. A few years ago I had one run down my leg when I stepped off a bus in the summer..very humiliating. Would love to hear what the doctor said to you.
Hello, I flicked on to this site worring about my quater size clot, then I read your post (fresnoborn), I hope everything went well at the doc, plez keep us updated, your story will surely help alot of women. I pray the best for you,. Heres my tale, Im a single mama with 4 kids, im 34yr, this is my first big blood Oi clot, quarter size, my periods have always been heavy since I first started at 11yr. It last 7 days.,
I had my daughter July 23rd of 09' and ever since then my periods have been beyond irregular and extremly heavy!! About two weeks ago I had just got of my period that lasted 48 days straight! I was passing dark red blood clots, blood would gush out very severly everytime I would stand after sitting or sleeping. In the toilet the water was all blood & at the bottom of the toilet, it was like caviar looking. Just piled at the very bottom. And now its doing it again & im only twenty. The have always checked my CVC & I was never anemic, not even close. My number was 14.5 lastime they checked. What should I do??
Holy Crap been there done that. Hate to scare ya pally but You ever think about sickle cell..? honestly thats my diagnosis...what they have claimed was up with me :P hope ur a bit better off.
i started my periods when i was 10 years old, i am now 18. & ever since i remember they have always been irregular, but as i got older they have become worse. sometimes i wouldn't have a period for up to 6months, then i would constantly bleed for 2months, with blood clots up to the size of my palm! when i am having a long period one day it would be heavy and the next very light, sometimes it would even stop for a couple of days.. i have been to the doctors and they just put me on the pill & iron tablets, but it didn't work and the pill was making me feel sick and tired! it seems like no one else has this kind of problem with such irregularity, someone must know what's going on?  
i want some info please.i had a short menstrual a week and a half ago.i do have a fibroid and went to er thinking it burst because the pain i got.i have been having like stains of dark brown and black menstrual and at times red.er dr said it was old menstrual ,but i am getting nervous because its been 3 days already.please some one help me.i dont want to do a hysterectomy.
What complication did you have that warranted a mandatory abortion at 3 months?
In January '11 I started the new year with my period.  I'm 29, have one child, and I'm a type II diabetic. The second day of my period I had to leave work because it was like a faucet in my pants. I went to urgent care and was prescribed heavy doses of birth control pills which helped to slow down the bleeding but after 2 days I had to stop taking the pills because I was getting shortness of breath. The bleeding came back.

I was then referred to see the gyn (w/in the same med. office) after 2 weeks of bleeding. He gave me more birth control pills and progesterone without giving me an exam. I asked if he could at least check me for fibroids, or if I could get an ultrasound, to which he replied, "You don't have fibroids."

"How do you know?" I asked.

"Because if you had fibroids, your periods would have been getting progressively long and heavy, but this is your first time, so you don't have to worry."

"But is this normal?" I asked. "I've never had a period this long, and with so many clots, and passing clots during the day. This is normal?"

The whole time the doctor is nodding and saying, "Yes, yes, that's normal."

I went to women's clinic a week later (still bleeding). The nurse gave me a pap smear and checked my cervix. I was told to continue the progesterone and bcp.

My period finally ended mid february. Stopped for a week, started again for a few days.

And now today, I just started my period again. I'm so scared I'm going to have another "January" again. The blood is bright red and feels watery.

If I start to pass clots again I'm going to go nuts. I need to find a better, thorough gyn, but there's so many bad ones out there and I seem to keep finding them all :/
Hiya, Im 22yrs old. last year i had my period HEAVY for a continuous 5months had a ultrasound and docs sent me away saying it was polycystic ovarian syndrome and that there was nothing they were concerned about ... then it stopped, for a month.. it then started again (i was a fool in thinking it was my body back to its normal cycle)  on new years day i found myself screaming from acute pains in my lower back and stomach... bleeding HEAVILY and the pain was coming in waves. (i had done a test a week earlier to see if i was pregnant- it was negative) then went to the toilet and bleedout.... then massive clumps of what looked like muscle and tissue "fell" out.... raced to the hospital... was asked if i was pregnant around 8 times... seems one no wasnt good enough.. then was watched in observation and given pain meds told that i had passed a clot and sent home.... oh and if i was still bleeding in a week to come back.. feb rolls around.. i get my period for 2days then it dissapeares... i go to gynocologist (after 7 different referals to see the public one at the hospital- which all got turned down even tho 3 of the referals were from the hospitals own emergency dept) who charges me $220 to tell me that my body is out of sync and that i have a option to take no drugs and see what happens or to take the monofeme pill for 6 months then go see him again... i told him i am on high blood pressure medication...and that im pretty sure your not supposed to take the pill whilst on high blood pressure pills.. he semi shrugs it off and tells me it should be ok... i have spoken to 3 different nurses/pharmacists and they all say DO NOT take the pill with high blood pressure meds... i have rung and emails the gyno asking what to do to no response.... just wondering if anyone else has ever been in this position before?????

i have given up and stopped taking ALL drugs now... hah im rather confused!

any feed back would be good???
I'm fourteen I got my period for the first time it ended after 9 days, I even got blood clots the first time I would get the worst huge pain that would send me to my knees and then get a massive blood clot. A week and a half later I got my period again I couldn't even get out of bed ANd my period Is Supeeeeer Heavy!!!
I started my period on Monday, march 28 I have been bleeding very very heavy. I started clotting yesterday but not big clots. When I went to the bathroom this morning at 7:20 I put on a tampon and pad. By time I got to work at 8:00 my tampon was full of blood and my pad was soaked with blood. I used the bathroom and I had a blood clot the size of my fist come out. Now two weeks ago I had light pink spotting that lasted a couple of hours could I be miscarrying? Yes I am sexually active and we have been trying.
I am 35 years old and am seeming to have the same problem a lot of you have had or are having. I woke up last night to go to the bathroom, and blood was streaming down both my legs. It scared me to death. Never had anything happen to me like this before when Im on my period. I also get really huge blood clots toward the end of my period. Pain more severe than when I had my children. Does anyone have ant idea what could be going on
Go see a doctor.  You could have fibroids or uterine polyps.  Both are very treatable.  
Hi im 19 years old & i started my period at the age of 16. I usually have my period every other month! I know its weird. My periods last from 1 week to a whole month and their always very heavy. I usually change my pad atleast 10 or more times a month. There are times i have to insert a medium amount of toilet paper in there to save my pads!! Its crazy! Im very sexually active but only when i have the time (off my period) I would like to go to a doctor but im afraid to tell my mother. I really need help. I have extream blood clots every morning like around 4-6am. with bad cramps! my blood clots are the size of 3-6 inches long & 2 inches wide. The longest blood clot was the size of my whole palm. Looking like a giant ball of jello. There are times that i have those after i had sex and i orgasm. When i orgasm and im "cuming" all my juice comes out in a jello like substance. i really need help! please anyone!
hey i am 14. this is really freaking me out because i have the same thing, but my clots arent THAT massive. theyre just like the size of half my thumb, and they are long and squishy. at first i didnt know what the hell it was and i was too scared to tell anyone so i googled it. ive had my periods of about two years now, and theyre not regular yet. when these clots come out, i could actually FEEL it and it makes me sooooo grossed out that it makes me feel sick AS. all i want to know is: ARE THESE CLOTS EVER GONNA STOP? i am really scared that i might experience the same problems as some people where they get them the size of GRAPEFRUITS. :S i never actually knew it was possible.
but just so you know: i am absolutely not sexually active

and thank you all for sharing your stories. its made me feel soooooooooo much better now that i know that i am not the only one with these weird mushy stuff during periods.
hi there. im gona start off by saying before i had my first son i had normal regular periods and afterwards still the same and ever since i had my second son who is almost 2 now i have had just horrible periods, long, extremely heavy, irregular, painful, all symptoms, they just suck the only thing normal about them was how painful and heavy and what color they were when i would have a period. now just in the past couple of months they have started changing but they were still long,heavy and painful, i would just have an upset stomach and sore boobs and this month i have a lighter period upset stomach sore boobs hot flashes no cramps no blood clots no appetite and the color is more brown than anything i think it was just pinkish red for the first day or two but it wont go away its been 5 days and more less spotting than actually bleeding and turned to start brown after the first day or two and i have had a c-section with both of my boys i am married and me and my husband are intimate at least 1 time a week, i also had for like a whole month this weird moving butterfly feeling in my lower abdomen last month and i have taken pregnancy tests and all negative. i have no idea whats going on with my body but im confused at how different my period is this month someone please help me....
hey ppl i saw my period at a late age at 17 1/2yrs old. and i always knew my period to be heavy. then i had my son and it was that way then my daughter. since then i have had an abortion and then all of a sudden i have this exra heavy prolonged cycle which just drives me insane, it is so irregular and sometimes lasts up to two weeks there are days that i have to change a napkin every 1/2 hr and the clots are so big, that am scared that i maybe slowly dying. i just dont know what to do.
Well I have had regular periods ever since I started back in elementary. When I got older the bleeding became more heavy, the cramping became more painful. However things did change I met my boyfriend and yes we became sexually active. So on May 6 or 7th I had my period, but towards the end of the month I had these weird cravings, there was pain in my lower back and my abdominal area. My stomach looked like it was getting bigger, my breast is tender, my stomach area was warmer then the rest of my body and I have been constipated a little. Now its May 9th and I'm shopping with my mother in-law, when there was a pain in my lower back. I went to the restroom to see if I started my period, but there was no blood in my pee only when I wiped. So I am guessing that I am not pregnant because I started my period, but this period is not like the others I hardly have cramps and when I do I would eat something then it would go away, but my lower back still hurts. Most of the time when I get my period I don't like to go anywhere or do anything, but this one is different It feels like I'm not even bleeding. Please help me because I don't know what to do.....
I read your comment...and it makes sense except im a 20pedicure year old woman with no children. Every month I have numerous blood clots...and now i'm worried. And don't have health insurance.
Any advice for a poor insuranceless girl?
20 year old woman *
hi i am 18 years old and i  have had really bad periods since i was 15 and the make me black out and i think i bleed to much or its the pain of it that makes me black out im only on for 5 days every month but i have little blood clots and im not sure if thats normal or not ? can u help ?
Hi, I am concerned about what my Dr. said to me last week when i explained the following to her.
                I told her that my last period started the 9th of March and ended the 14th of March, and It was a normal period. When April came, no period as with the same for May. I took a pregnancy test every week and it always came back Negative.On June 21st i woke up and felt really strange. when i got on the bus to go to work i started feelingI nautious, dizzy, and, really lightheaded to the point i had to get off the bus. i got back on the bus and by the time i got to work i was throwing up. I was throwing up so much that i thought i had peed myself. I was soooo wrong. I started bleeding so bad that my boss had to go and get me new clothes and pads. I called my md and she said that i probably have a virus, i should be ok. With that being said, three days later on the 24th of June i felt the same way and Bleeding the same just now with large and small clots.I called and i was told if i was still bleeding on Monday to come in. Well ok, it is the 25th of June and I feel like ****, i have a severe headache and now for some reason i have large painful hemorrhoids. Where they came from i don't understand. I have had 3 children and i never got hemorrhoids. I am going through a combination of 1 tampon and pad every 1-2 hours. This is rediculous.  

Please, I really need a truthful explination about this situation. Could I really have ibeen  pregnant even with all the tests being negative?

Clotting is normal. In fact, you need to have some clotting to stop bleeding.
Usually, though, the clots are very small. If you are having quite big ones it just means that you have quite a lot of blood at the period.
You should make sure you don't get anaemic by eating plenty of iron-rich foods or taking iron supplements.
Clots don't mean there is anything wrong with you.

hope this helps you
hi i have had my period since june 23 2011 and its not july 10th 2011. the first week was normal but now i have blood clots. i run to the toilet every 15 mins just so that i dont get it in my pad. i have to wake up from sleeping every hour just to go use bathroom. i have huge head aches and pain. i went to the E.R and they said nothings wrong its just a really heavy period and that my iron is low. Ive been drinking a lot of Gatorade and water and milk but it just don't seem to go away.. i haven't even been out of the house to do n e thing for a week now and it *****. i went to walmart last night and had to use the bathroom 2 times.. does n e one know what to do to stop it please email me at ***@**** please
Hey everybody I'm 22 years old I have been having sex for two years and seven months I have never been to a gyno because everytime I've tried they want me to pay the bill immediately and it's hard to pay it all at once! Anywho, this month I started my period the first and I'm still going strong about a week ago I started passing larger then normal clot like their usually bout a quarter in size and now their long fleshy clots about six inches in size. I'd like to be checked out but I have the money issue and the bill problem! What should I do I'd like to be checked before October because I'm moving to Mexico with my fience! What should I do and how???
im worried about my mum she is 45 and she is on her period and she is loosing big blood clots is that normal and she is in a lot of pain when it happens please help
i'm a mother of a vibrantly healthy 5yr old boy. Before i had my son...i was havn regular menstal periods. of course i had plenty of painful cramps. on the exact date of may 23, 2011, i recieved my first dose of the depo shot. (dont want anymore kid...for reeeal) and i have beeen on my cycle since and currently still on it. its making me tired, drained, exughsted, and more. i just want to know will my prolonged cycle stop soon. is my tiredness and other symptoms contributed to the shot. im also a type2 diabetic so it makes my blood glucose rise severely. what shud i do.
I am 15 years old, my birthday is in October.
I have had my period since my grade 8 year, which was back in 2008, It started of really good, it wasn't heavy, and it had no blood clots. Until May of 2009, when I started getting really heavy periods, with really big clots, and it felt like everytime I would stand up blood would just flow out, and I would always be going to the bathroom to just wipe away blood clots, and just blood. It was really horrible, It got to the point where I couldn't sneeze, and everytime I would walk I would have to squeeze my legs together. It's August 7th 2011 today, and I think I have gotten my period since June of 2009. My mom trys to tell me that this is normal, and I know for a fact that this is not normal at all. I did a lot of research one day and I came back with this Mennorhagia, I'm not sure what it is, or why i think I have it, but I am pretty sure it's what I have.

I really don't want to have to go to a doctor, but is there anything I can buy from the average drug store, that would maybe help this annoyance.

Thank you!
i too had my period always on time up til 3 yrs ago almost my now husband and i found out we were expecting and turns out do to complications our pregnancy was terminated. After that i did not get my period for that remainder of the year. I know get my period for one or 2 days or like recently had it for 4 months stopped a week and began again, my periods are heavy so heavy i cant walk due to the heavy flow i have to use pads and tampons and that still wont hold. my clots as of this moment are the size of my palms and i sometimes feel like im going to pass out. trying to concieve (conceive) is shot out the window cuz my husband and i cant even do anything, if im off it and i try with him guess what comes back!!!!!!!!!! im beyond irritated the pain discomfort and embaresment is so much i dont even leave my houe anymore. reading all theses post actually made me feel somewhat normal that there are women like me but wht the heck is wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
omg im glad i saw this, im 14 i got my period for the first time last year. when i first got my period it never came back until winter and it lasted for about a month and a half, it was really heavy with blood clots a little bit bigger than a bottle cap, sometimes it would be so heavy my pad wouldnt be able to absorb the flow fast enough and i would leakALOT so i would always wear dark cloths. i havent tould anyone cause its embarrassing and i feel unnormal but i am thinking about telling her :/ im just embarrased. i dont know whats wrong i am a virgin and im not doing anything unnormal. HELP ME!!
I'm seriously freaked out.. I'm on the birth control patch, and have a regular period..for the last couple months my periods have been irregular and I have had lots of clotting. I was on my period two weeks ago and it was pretty heavy, around 3 days ago I started spotting and now I'm having big clots Come out..I can be going to the restroom and feel them come out of me.. What should I do?
HERE IS THE SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM.

BUY THE FOLLOWING AT YOUR LOCAL HEALTH FOOD STORE OR ORDER THESE PRODUCTS ONLINE:

**WOMEN'S BEST FRIEND by Crystal Star
**FIBRO DEFENSE by Crystal Star
**A NATURAL PROGESTERONE CREAM (I USE PROCARE 2% MICRONIZED NATURAL PROGESTERONE)

IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO BUY ALL 3, I SUGGEST THAT YOU DEFINITELY GET THE "WOMEN'S BEST FRIEND". THIS ONE IS A MUST!!!

ALSO CONSIDER TAKING:
*OMEGA OILS (I USE RENEW LIFE OILSMART)
*A GOOD VITAMIN ( I USE PURE ESSENCE ONE 'N' ONLY WOMEN'S FORMULA).

SINCE DISCOVERING THESE PRODUCTS A FEW MONTHS AGO, I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!!!
I don't even know if any of you will read this but I stumbled upon it because I have the same problem. I was on depo... my last shot was sept. 2009. And ever since then I seem to be having trouble. I have just recently gone 4 months with no period, and I don't think I was prego. Then I got my period for 3 weeks and it was super heavy the entire time. Then I went almost 5 months without it and just got it on the 9th. It started very light and got heavier and I thought it stopped on the 19th but last night I had sex with my husband and then used the bathroom and had a clot the size of a baseball.... and its very light today. I'm scared something might be wrong... I am only 21 and trying to have a kid but nothing yet... we have been trying since may 2010... any advice?!
Ok reading these posts are very helpful but still scary. My husband and I went to Disney today and my period has been on the last 2 days. I noticed all day it was light which is unnormal for me but no complaints. On the bus back to the hotel, I felt the flow but wasn't surprised. As we were walking in I felt the clotting- no biggy bc I clot every cycle. I get to the elevator and it feels kinda big so of course I'm trying to resist the urge to push and trying to get to the room ASAP! Well I get to the toilet and pass this HUGE palm sized clot! SCARED me speechless! I've NEVER passed such a huge clot! Not only that, my underwear and pants were soaked! And all this with NO PAIN! WEIRD! My cycle should be off by Tuesday and I have a pap scheduled for Wednesday-go figure. I haven't said anything to my husband but my first instinct (and only) is miscarriage. By the time I get to my appointment they won't be able to tell, maybe it's best not to know. Anyway, right after this, my flow is right back to the slowness of the day...very very weird.
Hello there, I'm 27 yrs old. I'm currently on my period and have been on it for 13 days now. I was a week late when I started. For the first 6 days, i thought I was experiencing a "normal" period (light bleeding, not needing to use the Super Plus tampon every 2 hours), I was actually happy.

Come the 7th day, I usually stop bleeding. But this lucky #7, seemed to only be the beginning. I then started MY 'normal' period of heavy bleeding, sore lower back, and of course large clots. Each day became worse with the blood clots. I even took a picture of one of the clots, to show my gyno, because I've had several large clots. For this period, I've surprisingly haven't been feeling tired, but my lower back has been throbbing more than ever. My abdominals have also been sensitive to the touch, more than ever. My appetite has been off the richter scale as well. I've been eating more than usual (I'm not pregnant. haven't been intimate with a man since 2006...pathetic? Yes!)

I am overweight, and probably haven't been to the doctor in a couple of years (yes, shame on me). I did start back up with exercising, so I thought that's why my 'light' period was something that was starting. But I have NEVER had a period this long or have had so many clots either. I'm not too worried, but I know this isn't normal. I know I won't be able to get put on birth control, beacuse of my high blood pressure either.

I'm sure my body is telling me that it needs to see a doctor, but it would be good to know what's going on.
What are you waiting for?  Make an appointment to see your doctor asap!
I have a regular heavy flow, which is not unusual for my family, but recently I have been experiencing occasional blood clots that are about the size of a quarter or slightly larger. My grandmother had breast cancer, and my mother had uterine cancer, and I am slightly concerned due to this history. I have been to the doctor and had a pap done a little under 2 years ago, and it came back completely normal. I have had these clots since before then, but I guess I am wondering if this is something to be immediately concerned about. I will be having my regular pap in January, but should I go before then?
i started my periods when i was 10 years old,... i skipped my periods 2 times for a month...i usually have very heavy periods for 10-13 days.... and now i am 20 years old with 2 fibroids and lot of clots during periods... i am very worried about that please help me with your knowledge... :(
My daughter passes clots big as a potato and she is 17 years old I have taken her to the Dr and he just gives her pills and don't try to find the problem.....what should I do?
i'm 20 years old and been having really bad cramps this pass month. i started my period 2 days ago .my first day a fleshy blood clot was on the toilet paper when i whipped i was so scared. My period is really light is this normal.
Hi iv had this problem the past two periods as i had a miscarraige (miscarriage) and they have been coming HEAVY and clots are huge! Im waitin on a scan for endrimitrosis as this is the 2nd miscarraige (miscarriage) iv had and im only 19!! Maybe you have something along thoes lines? I have to wear night time pads in the day and can no longer wear tampons as hurt way too much! My partner and i worry about not being able to have children :( let us know what they do x
am I suppose to have a lot of clots in my period? I've been on my period for 3 days now and its really getting on my nerves any tips please help! I need some advice!!! Thanks to anyone who gives me advice I really appreciate it BTW im only 13 and this is my 5th period PLEASE HELP ME Im soooo scared about the clot thing and I live w/ my dad so... It's really awkward talking to him about it:( what can I do to get my mind off of it im also having a lot of mood swings really sensitive and angry a lot. when will it STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! uhhh i cant take this anymore.
Im young, I got my period last year it was good but now I have super heavy flow and ive been geting lots of clots and there rely big. Im not sure if thats normal but my perod was late by 2 months now ts coming out a little too much and I dont no what to do! my mom s gon she left me i only have my dad and hes not a good help lol. plz help thx!
Hi  just what to ask u some thing I hope you can help? I had a coil down about one year ago now I've been having period pain. I am a person who aways had light period and less pain then in september I started my monthly period and it was very heavier it was so bad I could fell if I open up something is going to come out, the pain is so bad it fills like labour pain. I went to doctors they thought it might be the coli had sliped out  I had my X-ray scan it come back Ok coli is still their?? Please help me this pain I been having from September tell now I'm very scared for my next period???
I have the same problem except i am only 15. I bleed out these verry large blood clots and have an extremely abnormal cycle ill menstruate for as long as a month at times then go for months without my period at times ir for as short as 3 days till it starts up again for another few weeks.
i was on the depo shot right after i had my daughter and i was bleeding for a year straight till i got off the depo.
This is stress thats doing this, maybe you should seek professional help from both an OBG-YN and a therapist, cuz what affects the mental, affects the physical
I am anemic... but i am having HUGE clots (about gofball size to baseball size), massive cramps, normal? Or time to call the dr?
no you can go for a few months and be pregnant and still have a period. also if you are on the pill it can give you a faulse negitive and if you are pregnant you can damage your child inutro by being on the pill . best way to find out is a blood test and to talk to your parents about all of this. i know that can be very scary, but that is what they are there for. i was 16 when i had my first child, and did not find out until i was 5 months along. he was born 2 months later and was very under weight and i could have avoided all that if i had the proper care and support but i hid it, so i didn't. i know this sounds stupid at your age but the best thing to do to not get pregnant or have any scares is not to have sex. it only takes one time. i hope all works out for you. take care

-Crystal
im only 13.. i never had sex before, but im on my period. and i get these little clots i guess. wat is wrong with me???
My cycles have been kinda odd the past few months, 2 months ago was a few days late with a normal cycle, then last month started spotting a few days b4 normal then bleed for a day and stopped, now this month am bleeding very heavily with half dollar size clots..... Should I call doc?.... Last month was also sick/vomiting and ill to stomach for a couple weeks
I'd say that without a doubt it's time to call a doctor!
Hello Ladies. I have been passing clots for about 5 months now. I noticed them when i first moved back to miami in August. I've always had severe menstrual cycles lasting from 15 to 96 days at a time. I have deen on Depo since i was 13 to help with the bleeding so now my cycles are beyond irregular. Lately i haven't had a mentrual cycle, yet i've been passing clots just about everyday so i've been wearing a pad or tampon just to keep an accident from happening. The weird thing is i'm not having any pains or cramps just passing clots the size of dimes to the size of quarters and i'm worried... Any suggestions???
Um wow, I'm no specialist, but it sounds like you really need to see a doctor.  I know sometimes talking to your parents or care providers about this sort of thing is awful and awkward, but sometimes you just gotta.  Trust me, I once didn't poo for two weeks and thought I was gonna die.  I was too embarrassed to tell my mom until finally I couldn't take it any more and when I did she rushed me to the hospital where I had to get my stomach pumped and supposetories!  How awful is that?!  GO TO THE DOCTOR!  
Iron pills is answer to our blood clots... I use the Ferrous Sulfate and help meeeeeeeeeee :)  
I Am 25 Years Old & The Past 5 Years Ive Had Maybe 10-12 Periods . .Ive Seen The Ob/Gyn ,Many Visits To The ER All They Say ''Its Normal Or We Cant Do Anything Cuz You Dont Have Babies''. . When I Am Lucky When I Get It The Cramps Hurt :'( ,I Use 3 Maxi Pads At Once ,On A Daily Basis I Use 24 Pads For 2 Weeks ,Blood Clots Range In Size Starting With A Apple Size Then The Smallest Is Kiwi Size . . I Know This Isnt Normal But I Am Anemic & Clueless ,Ive Lost Jobs Due To This What To Do ? ?
I have had my period for over six months straight clots also the size of a grapefruit I've had 2 blood tranfusions because of this tryed the pill , taking about 5 pills a day still nothing , ive had two iud's put in and both have painfully pushed out docs don't have a clue why this is happening All tests show nothing I've had internal ultrasound external ultrasound ,biopsy, blood tests and more
my name is nicole i am 17 going on 18 i started my period when i was 12 and to day i saw blood clots to day is the 01/03/2012 and i dont know how to tall my mum and i don't know what to do can any one halp me
thanks a lot  
i am 17 and have had irregular periods ever since i began mensturating at 13. I have currently been bleeding for 6 weeks and have gone through stages where I experienced large blood clots. I am seeing a specialist in a few weeks but am really worried.
my mom's friend is a doctor what she told me was that your periods doesn't come while you're pregnant and after your baby has been deliver you face periods for at least 4 months All of this happens because of hormones.  And hormones are what regulate your periods.  Often times, such as in my case, post pregnant women experience hormone imbalances, which may lead to irregular periods  in women.
I'm 18 I've had my "p" heavily for 5 weeks now Ive had blood clots that are really big I normally last a week and take midol normally because of the very painful cramps but haven't taken any in the last 5 weeks
Need help
Plz
i am 23..and i have a problem to blood clotting..when blood clotting come than i feel fire in my urine place..pls suggest me what should i do
Im 20 and have PCOS, I got my first period in almost a year last week. Its been really heavy (changing tampons every other hour), with awful cramps that have made me pass out and vomit and on top of all that I've been passing what looks like blood clots about the length of my little finger. Ive taken ordinary paracetmol for the pain, but its not working, and Ive been sleeping with a hot water bottle on my tummy which has eased the pain somewhat. I find pressing my fingers to the base of spine helps too, you have to press hard to push at a nerve but its helpful when Im standing around in work, or waiting on the bus and the cramps hit really bad. From what I know as long as the clots are smaller than 3 or 4 fingers together you shouldn't worry too much, its just heavy lining of the uterus that hasn't broken down.
I've recently started having periods that last 3 -4 weeks. Their heavy and there's blood clots. I normally experience blood clots but this is different - thier bigger and more frequent and hurt. I take tablets (tranxiemic and mefenamic acid) for the pain/heavy flow but this seems to do nothing. I'm 19 and i'm not sexually active.
crystal i thought i was alone but i had a baby 3 months ago and hadent had m period until 2 weeks ago and when it come it come there was blood everywhere and 2 days ago i started passing HUGE clots just like u rtalking about and not just one no at least 8 now i thought i had a miscarage but went to the hospital and they said no well i passed 3 more last night and one come out while i was walking yeah while i was walking around i felt like i took a doo doo out of my vagina i really think something is bad wrong with me they shouldnt be like this me and u both should go to the hospital and get checked agian and dont let them tell u its nothing this **** aint right girl!
Hello everyone I need some advise well I have my period n the other day I went to go to the bathroom n a blood clot feel into the tolet and it made a slash I looked down n it was as big as a quater then I rest of the day it just keep hapen everytime I went to the bathroom but the clots got smaller as the day went on wats goin on anyone??
I don't know if it will help you, but ... have you considered going to an acupuncturist and also taking their Chinese medicine. I have been going for period pain relief for only 2 n half months and taking Chinese medicine now n it has made a lessening in the pain during period n have lost some weight i wanted to lose n i thought it worth sharing. Hoping this helps.  
I am only 12 yrs old i started my period when i was 10 and its been hardly any blood and all clots about the size of a quarter (some are bigger some are smaller) for 2 yrs. Should i tell my doctor or is this normal? someone please help me!
Hey Im 16 and not sexually active. I have been Gettin Blood Clots During My Days Of My Period. Some people say it might be Harmful to My body and others Dont. Should i Be concerned ??
I started my period a year ago at 13 and my period was off. I would skip months without having a period
. Then some random day I would just start bleeding. I would never cramp, I was perfectly fine.  My period is pretty much normal now, but now I am bleeding pretty heavy and having quite a few blood clots. I also have pretty bad cramping the first 3 days of my period.  Is this normal for a 14 year old ?
Is it normal to have a period for 3 months and hectic bleeding and passing blood clots I had a pelvic ultrasound done and everything is fine the doc put me on othri trial cyclen and I been on that for almost one month AI how long does it take for birth control to work
Ever since I started my period when I was 11 years old, I've never had a normal cycle. It would skip 2 or 3 months between periods & I've always been concerned about it. I was never a big goer to my doctor's and now I regret it because I'm not covered anymore. (My insurance was Medi-Cal). This is the first time that I've noticed blood clots in my period & became concerned because as of today, I've been heavily bleeding for 11 days straight with no light days. I'm very concerned about my health and don't know what to do since I have no health insurance. Advice? Help? Please.
I have had the same problem for many years now and each doctor I have gone to cant seem to figure out what and why exactly is going on down there..lol..they have put me on many trials of birth control with hormone treatments that for a short time works and then its back to the same oh thing with the clots and bleeding they have also done many dnc's that also had no effect on thr Colts or bleeding and when I had plead for a hystorectomy they tossed that thought out the window it has been 6 YEARS and counting dealing with the massive blood lose with many blood transfusion and many different trials of hormonal treatments and dnc's...I pop iron pills like tick-taks and im crossing my fingers that this new doctor will final. Do both of us a favor and remove it all together
I have been doing the same thing for 7 weeks now and still going strong. Of the 7 weeks, 5 have been heavy with blood clots ranging from dime size to like you mentioned, grapefruit size. I have taken many showers to relieve the cramping and many times the largest ones 'fall out' then. I have been to my gyno. who just wanted me to double my birth control pills for 7 days. That didn't work and I had to go to the ER because to constant cramping pain was getting so bad. After tons of blood work and other checks. I am anemic, obviously, but everything according to the ER Dr. was normal. How is this normal? He had me triple my birth control pills and gave me hydrocodone for the pain. I can't even work because of this. I tried to once and thank goodness I took several extra pairs of clothes because I bled through 3 times within an 8 hr shift. I can go through a super size tampon and thick maxi pad within 30 minutes on some days and I never know when. I'm only 29 and have one child. I would like to have another, but at this point I am really contemplating going ahead and getting it all removed.
Your period might take several years to settle into a regular pattern. If you're really concerned, talk to a doctor or health worker.
I had my last child last year and had my tubs tide at drist I did not really have a period then all of a sudden I had heavy bleeding and clots and socking a pad every 20mins for 9 days this happens alomst every month starts out light then the next day I wake up to a big mess I can't see a dor so I don't know what to think of it
hey i am 12 years old and i started my period a while ago but i  am scared cause it has more blood clots and a little heavy flow then gets lighter what should i do i am scared.
I am 19 been on my pireod for up two a year straight I.just passed a clot the size of a dollar but refuse to.go.to gyno cause I dont.like people to look.I need advice please
I'v had my period since i was 12 and im 21 now, my period has been regular this whole time. Today I realised there was a blood clot slightly larger than a paper clip but much thicker. I dont think i should be worried but should i tell my doctor since its the first time
hi i m 13 the exact same is happening to me im not active and ive been bleeding for 3 monthe there going to do an ultrasound they r  going to have to go inside my vagina did they have to do that? does it hurt?
Viewing 201-314 comments: