BLOOD CLOTS DURING PERIOD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

BLOOD CLOTS DURING PERIOD

LATELY I HAVE BEEN HAVING ALOT OF BLOOD CLOTS DURING MY CYCLE AND THIS MONTH I WAS HAVING A HEAVY PERIOD AND THEN WHEN I WENT TO THE BATHROOM I PASSED A BLOOD CLOT AS BIG AS A GRAPEFRUIT AND THEN MY PERIOD STOPPED NOW IT'S BACK AGAIN VERY LIGHT. I HAVE HAD MY TUBES TIED AND ALREADY HAVE 3 GROWN CHILDREN. SHOULD I SEE THE GYNECOLOGIST OR IS THIS NORMAL? I NEED SOME ADVISE
Tags: clots, Health, s, Blood clots, Reproductive Health, Women, Womens Health
Viewing 1-200 comments:
i am sitting here with my mouth wide open! as big as a grapefruit you say?? that is indeed cause for concern. passing clots is normal but the rule of thumb is usually anything larger than a quarter is something you should call your dr. about. let us know ok??
I had a similar problem a few months ago, the exception with mine is my period didnt stop, I actually kept my period for two weeks passing the HUGE!!!! blood clots, I did not to the dr and he checked me out and said that everything look alright, he just told me it was from stress and gave me some pills to help my period stop and get back on track, so yeah i think you should go to your dr and get check out, it will at least ease your mind a bit to talk with the dr, good luck and keep us posted, hope everything turns out alright
YES, AS BIG AS A GRAPEFRUIT. WHEN I PULLED MY PANTS DOWN IT ROLLED DOWN MY LEG AND FELL TO THE FLOOR. WHEN I TRIED TO PICK IT UP, IT KEPT BREAKING APART AND I HAD A MESS TO CLEAN. THEN IT JUST STOPPED AND THEN AFTER I HAD SEX THE NEXT DAY WITH MY HUSBAND IT STARTED BACK BUT REAL LIGHT. AS I REREAD THIS IT SOUNDS KINDA WEIRD, BUT I AM BEING TRUTHFUL. I MADE AN APPOINTMENT WITH MY GYNECOLOGIST FOR THIS MONDAY. I HAD GONE TO HIM BEFORE ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO CAUSE MY PERIOD WOULDN'T STOP AND HE GAVE ME PILLS TO TAKE FOR 10 DAYS, AND IT STOPPED AND NOW THIS MONTH I'VE HAD IT TWICE BUT NEVER A BLOOD CLOT AS BIG AS THIS LAST ONE. AT FIRST I THOUGHT "WELL GOOD IT'S ALL OUT NOW" BUT AFTER I THOUGHT ABOUT IT, I CALLED THE DOC.
oh lord! i cant even imagine. i dont mind the details, i think it helps people. just give your dr. a quick call and let her/him know what happened. they may simply tell you over the phone and whether or not they want you to come in. thats what i would do. at least the bleeding subsided but what in the world came out of you? thats what id wanna know.
A few hours after I had my second child, while I was still in the hospital, I felt this major need to push, just like I did when I gave birth. I got myself out of the bed to go to the bathroom and while standing, I HAD to push. I passed a blood clot the size of a bowling ball. It hit the floor and so did I. It was the last thing I remembered until I was brought back. My husband was with me luckily when it happened and he called a nurse. I had stopped breathing, my heart had stopped and the nurse did CPR until the Doc came in and saved me. Obviously I was bleeding to death internally and I had to get immediate treatment and blood.
I am not trying to scare you, but you need to be seen. When you called for your appt. did you tell them what had happened? Or were you casual about it? I think if you told them you had passed a clot the size of a grapefruit then they would want you in there A.S.A.P. or even tell you to go to the E.R. Please don't let this wait. Anemia will kick you in the tail from losing blood.
Let us know how you are.
I MADE AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE DOC AND HE IS SEEING ME THIS MONDAY AND YES I TOLD THE RECEPTIONIST THE SIZE OF THE BLOOD CLOT. PERIOD HAS STOPPED ALTOGETHER FOR NOW. I HAD A TUBAL YEARS AGO AND MY PERIODS HAVE BEEN FINE EXCEPT FOR THE LAST 3 MONTHS. THANKS FOR ASKING. I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED ON WHAT HAPPENS AFTER MONDAY. THE LAST TIME I SAW THE DOC HE SAID IF I HAD ANYMORE PROBLEMS TO GO SEE HIM AND HE MAY SCHEDULE A D&C, SO THAT'S PROBABLY WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN NOW.
In regards to your big blood clots...I have heard of them alot from my friends and colleagues.
Part of it is that the uterus as we grow older loses it ability to contract effectively, or a frequently as it used to. Over time, the uterus get a little "tougher", and not the great muscle it used to be. Also, a few c-sections will do this too.
What this means to your period, is the uterus works harder to pass all the blood each month-Mega cramps. Some parts of the uterus that don't contract as well get "pools" of blood, that clot up into...BIG clots. Big contractions will get these clots slithering out into your pad/toilet and so forth.
You can try the pill to decrease your flow, thus reducing the clots, or I think the progesterone cream may help as well.
Good luck!
WELL I WENT TO DOC TODAY AND HE IS ORDERING AN ULTRASOUND OF MY UTERUS, IF THAT COMES OUT OKAY THEN  HE IS GOING AHEAD WITH A D&C. DOC SAYS THAT WILL CLEAN EVERYTHING OUT AND I WILL START FRESH AGAIN. LET'S SEE HOW IT GOES
Try not to worry Fresno.. Hope all goes well and you are feeling better soon! Keep us updated so we don't worry.
I also have the same problem.  Some months I go heavy for about 2 days and pass alot of clots some large some tiny.  Then it slacks off and I am regular and fades to nothing within 3 more days.  My last period I started on the 24th of August and went really heavy for about 10 days and then it slacked off to only spotting mildly throughout the day.  A couple of days almost nothing.  Now I am back to almost nothing most of the day and then some times at night I may pass a clot the size of a golf ball to tennis ball.  After I pass the clot it seems like I go back to almost nothing.  Any ideas.  I have my regular obgyn annual physical 9/14/05 so I am going to go ahead and go in even though they won't be able to do the pap but at least maybe I can get some professional advise.  I just want to get back to the normal for a while anyway.  I miss my husband, if you all know what I mean.!!
I HAVE BEEN HAVING BLOOD CLOTS SINCE I HAD A MISS CAREGE 2 YEARS AGO BUT IF ONE WAS AS BIG AS A GRAPEFRUIT I THINK I WOULD PASS OUT. I DONT KNOW HOW YOU WERE STILL ACTIVE AFTER THAT. WHEN I HAD ONE BIGGER THAN A QUARTER I THREW UP.
I am only 21 and i only have blood clots in my period... what does this mean? and my cramps are umbearable!
I feel embarassed asking these questions, but i don't kno where else 2 go. I am only 17 & Im scared. I started my period last Sunday (2day is Wed.). This was normal, and I was supposed 2 start then, but when I started, the blood was a darkish brown color. I didn't bleed very much until Monday night & then I have been bleeding very heavily yesterday & 2day, which is not normal for me. But the big scare I have is when I take out my tampon, which I change about every hour to 2 hours, there are blood clots on it. Then when I am sitting on the toilet, more blood clots come out, and also when I wipe with toilet paper. They aren't HUGE like everyone else is saying, but they are bigger than a quarter, and it's never happened before & I started my period for the first time when I was 14. What should I do? Or is this all normal?
Is it normal?  Well, to a point yes.  When you experience some bad cramping it is your cervix dialating to let the clot pass.  I have always had clotting problems since I started my period.  Never had anything wrong with me except my linning of my uterus was thicker then normal.  Some females just get clots more then others.  You might have entro but I had clotting, and I didn't.  Don't feel embarassed for asking.  The darkish brown blood is old blood.  Sometimes they give females D&C's to clean them out, but since you are only 17 I wouldn't think you need that.  Being on pill can help it though.
kinda worried. reading these blogs have relieved me a little, but i am still a little concerned.

my bf and were trying to conceive for almost a year (we just recently stopped a few months ago)
up until 4 days ago i was two weeks late. on the first day i noticed just a small amount of bloody discharge and thought i was starting and put a tampon in-i noticed a few hours later nothing was really goin on.. two days pass and nothing so i bought a pregnancy test yesterday- last night i started getting really bad cramps and started-so i never took the test. (this was later evening) which was really heavy. today while using the bathroom a large clot came out of me- which i know is semi normal (i have never clotted before.) i just went to change me tampon which had a small clott on it as well and i dropped another one while peeing. i think i am just afraid that i might have become pregnant and had a miscarriage. opinions? advice? help??!?!?!
you might have had cramping due to your cervix dialating to get rid of the clots.  I can't tell you if you had a miscarriage as I have never experienced that.  You might call your doc and see.
The ol saying is stop TRYING and you will conceive is pretty true.  You don't want to stress yourself out.  Find out the day that you ovulate, and what you need to do is not have sex for about a week before that.  Sperm can be waiting up there a couple of days before you ovulate.  But you want to make sure your bf's sperm count is high so put off sex for about a week or so before.  Remember don't stress.
thanks lady.

we did stop trying a couple of months ago, i know that it can take up tp 9 months to become pregnant, which became the cause of concern, i would hate to think that i had become pregnant (or will become) and not realize it and not take care of my body the way it needs to be taken care of. we talked about getting his sperm tested bc he has ED but we decided to wait bc we wnted to make sure we could fully provide for the baby. im getting ready to leave the office and go home and take an iron pill- all this blood loss makes me dizzy, as i am anemic... im going to keep my eye on it and see what happens.. my only concern was the fact that i have never clotted before.. i have had cervical issues and have had a leep (almost 2 yrs ago) so i tend to be very self aware.  maybe a little overly self aware. lol.
I hope that everything works out for you.  I am sure that you will be a mommy soon. :)
Hey, I'm desperate and I need to know something. I'm still waiting for the doctor to call me back.I've recently been put on birth control. I'm on bicycling so i'm only supposed to have a period every 7 weeks. At the start of my new pack, which was this past sunday, I started spotting. Monday I passed a huge clot and it was kind of fleshy. It freaked me out!!! I passed another one this morning.  I'm not sexually active. My mother is anemic. Do you think I could be anemic as well? Is this a sign of that??
some females clot and some don't.  if your birth control isn't stopping your period you may need to switch pills.
Thank you very much. I have called the clinic to get further advice. I'm waiting on the doctor to call me back. What was the fleshy clot?? If I'm not sexually active I couldn't have miscarried. That means that fleshy stuff was me!! It was really scary!!
Heres something scary.  After I delivered my second child I passed to clots the size of golf balls.  They were fleshy like you said.  Perfectly round.  Didn't have it with my first child, but did with my second.  Which could be from the nurses not massaging my stomach enough to get rid of the blood.  TMI I know.  
Well, look at it this way, at least it came out so it isn't in there anymore.
Lol, that's a good way to look at it, but the clots keep coming out... and they aren't round.... they are long andt don't really have a shape. It's just.... clots. IDK. I'll keep you posted if I ever get to hear back from the doctor. I live in AL. I called at 8:15 this morning... it's nearly 2:10 in the afternoon and I still have not heard one word:(
you must call again then.  be a nag............ haha
i had clotting ever since i started my period when i was 11 or 12.  i am 29 now, and had my utuerus removed 6 months ago.  turned out the lining of my utuerus was almost twice as thick as a normal person.  best thing i ever did because i still have hormones and stuff, just a spotty period because i still have my cervix.
Lol, I can deffinitely be a nag! I've tried calling her. I have an appt. set up for thursday morning at 7:45 p.m. I'd still like to talk to the doctor though. She's really busy though and no one will really let me talk to her. At least I have an appointment. That's only the day after tomorrow. That'll be better anyways because she'll be able to examine me. Anywho, as weird as this sounds.... that's really interesting to know about your uterus. I didn't know that happened to some women. Did the surgical procedure hurt? How are you feeling now?
i have a high pain tollerance.  the doc wanted me to stay over night, but i was ready to go home that night so she let me.  whenever you have bad cramping you might notice that is when you see clots.  that cramp is your cervix dialating to let the clot pass.  Now times that by say............1000 and you have pregnancy contractions.  haha.
My life is so much better now that I don't have my utuerus anymore.  I use to have to change super tampons every hour the first couple of days of my period.  Since I kept my cervix I will always have a little spotting due to the uterun cells onto of cervix.  The surgery I had is pretty much bandaid surgery.  The doc made 3 holes, one in belly button, and one on each side of my lower stomach.  There is a scare on each side about an inch long.  No one can see it but me and my husband.  Bathing suit even covers it.  
If after you have your children, and still have any issues with periods I would so do that if I were you.  I wish I would've done it a couple of years ago.  Man I gotta say Men have it so easy don't they?
Lol, yes men do have it easy.... and they still complain?!?! (just kidding, not all men are like that!) Anyway, I'm looking forward to having children one day. I also have a high physical pain tolerance. I don't have a lower tolerance for emotional pain... i'm a very tenderhearted person... but strong at the same time. But, yeah, I can't imagine hurting 1000 times more than I do when I cramp during menstruation. That'll be some adventure. Is it true that when some women deliver their babies... if the cervix  is really small the outside of the female will rip !?!? I've heard that's true and doctors have to stitch you up. That's sounds painful!
*****I meant that I had a lower tolerance for emotional pain than the tolerance I have for physical.***
I'm not sure about that.  I know that when females deliver that the doc may cut them down there so they don't tair because sometimes that can cause more problems.  It depends on the doc though.  I am like you also, I am tenderhearted but I also can get snappy if someone takes advantage of that.  No, after I had my surgery I did a complete situp to get out of bed without using my arms, and the nurses couldn't believe I did that without pain.  That can also be bad too because even though I may not hurt, I forget that I have to relax.  That is why I had those clots probably after my second child, because I was doing too much.  If you don't mind me asking how old are you?  You seem to have a good head on your shoulders.
I'm 21. Thank you for the compliment. I stay grounded but still have fun. I'm a very goofy girl and laugh all the time, but I do try to stay level headed at the same time. I know you're told to relax because you just delivered a baby and your body went through a lot... but what problems can come from doing too much too soon? (other than clots) Anyways, I can't imagine, nor do I really want to try imagining being cut in such a place! It's so amazing to me how women can bear so much pain such as having babies, menstruation every month, etc. etc... yet, we often need help opening a jar of pickles, or lifting things. We are very strong.... but need much assistance all at the same time... funny, huh?
Hi, i'm 25 years old. i just had my second child three months ago. i started back on the pill last month, I am now on my first 7 pill free week. yesterday though, i passed a white clot about the size of my thumb that was mixed with some blood. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing and may know what it is?
Hey all. im 20 years old and my last period was 3 weeks late. im sexually active and am always regular. Did 3 or 4 preg tests and all negative. When my period came it lasted for a week and was basically all clots. this has never happened to me before at all. is this normal? i have no idea what it is?
My period has been flowing for almost a month.  I'm only 29 years old.  This has been happening for the past few months now.  It comes on, I pass clots constantly, and then it continues to do so for up to a month.  It may stop for two or three days and then continue to flow.  What's happening and what should I do?
I have a question. I am 19 years old. Just got married lost month and for the last 3 month I have been have a lot of clots and cramps. I asked my sister about it and she told me she didn't know. I am scared because I have never had anything like this happen before. I was wondering if I should go to the docter or not. About three months ago I had cyst on my ovars.

Please help me. I am scared. My husband and I want to have a baby in about a year but I am scared I may not be able to have them because of all the problems I have. SO PLEASE ANYONE THAT AS ADVICE feel free to share.
I was on the depo provera shot for a little over 13 years with no periods.  I have been off of the shot since October 2006.  In January, my periods started back, however, I have bright red blood frequently, and almost always HUGE blood clots.  Sometimes I can feel myself pushing them out.  My period has been on since January, with the exception of maybe two to three weeks.  I am afraid that I am or will be anemic or worse soon if the bleeding doesn't stop.  I was told by a friend that taking birth control pills will help get things back to normal.  I posted this message on the boards, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to add my comment here.    If anyone has had any success getting back to a regular period, please share with me what you did.
i stopped taking the depo shot last oct i think, and ever since then i havn't had regular peiods they come and go whenever they want. althought i have now been on this period for like a week and its gottet to the point where it doesn't even look like a period anymore. i am just bleeding and bleeding  and it won''t stop. the blood is bright red. and on saturday mornig i passed a huge clot about the size of a softball, and i've been passing clots the size of a tennis ball and some the size of a golfball for two days now. it it so heavy i am wearing super extra tampons and a pad. i have to chang my tampon every 15 to thirty min b/c it leaks and fills the pad up. i am so scared. i never took a pregnancy test but its been about a month and a half since i had sex. could i bee misscarring and didn't even know i was pregnant. help me please. i see the doctor at two fifteen today but i'm scared.
is it okay to have sex while on menstraul cycle? just a curiousity question i mean i hear that its really not healthy but alot of girls do have sex but thats just strange to me!
im 22 years old and never been pregnant. my boyfriend and i have been trying for some time now. i once had clamieda and i was wondering if that would prvent me from getting pregnant? another question i also have clots nothinng big just the same size of my thumb. do that really means that my tubes can be blocked up wit something? if so how would i know and what can i do about that
I am 25 yrs.old.I have had everything from  ovarian tumors,cysts,hurnia's,cancer to my current problem a prolapsed bladder.I dont know if thats the reason for me having blood clots or not but its awful and why do i have them i didnt have them before.Yes i do have 3 children.I am soon going to have a hysterectomy for my prolapsed bladder witch will take care of the clots but i am frusterated with the way everytime i use the restroom all i see is clots come out n big ones!Is this normal?
if u had chlamydia long enough it could have something 2 do with u not coming out pregnant according to wht i know but if u treated it in time u should be okay...but you should have a doctor look at that as far as blood clots well i m trying to find out whats up with that it feels awful.They say its from bearing children but u said u havent had any children witch makes me wonder if it is something else?
I am 19 yrs old, not sexually active. And ive had my period for a month for the first week it was normal then it was barely anything and since last night i cant last an hour before changing my tampon because i keep clotting. And i dont have insurance. And i cant even go anywhere because i always have to change it. I have gotten clots before but never for 2 days, but they are small. Does anyone have any clue how long it will last and if theres anything i can do to stop the clotting without any help from a doctor. I read to drink water to thin my blood, is that true??
Hi,can anybody help me in getting this information. I work for appx 15-16 hrs in a day. Recently, iam having very irregular periods (from past 8 months) and this time,my periods started 13 days back n still bleeding along with Clotts. I never had this clotting before and is the first time.Im scared and atleast 5-6 times/day, i wil hav the clots (as big as Grape fruit,) coming out and kind of frustrating. I'm 31 yrs n have one kid. What cud be the reason for having this clot this time, which was never before. Is it due to stress or something else?. Had been to Doc and did the pregnancy test and came out as negative. DOC asked me to go for US scan on 31st and sceduled the next appt on 5th Nov. she didnot gave any pills to stop the bleeding. How can i bear this for another 20 days? please suggest me.
Wow, that is a huge problem and you should go see a specialist asap!. A few years back, I remember going to something similar to that, I was on the toilet trying to just "get everything out" when suddenly I felt something so big that when I was pushing it out, my face turned red. It was worse than when I was pregnant and I was popping out the baby. Ok so I was pushing and pushing, and this HUGE blood clot came out, it was indeed the size of a grapefuit. No Joke Women!...so I stood up and it bounced off the edge of the toilet seat and fell on my toe. I freaked out and kicked it a little, it was such a mess!!!!...ewwwwwwww I was screaming and screaming my husband thought i was having a heart attack. So I cleaed my toe up and opened the bathroom door, and my husband was standing there was his mother and father and our 3 kids, they were all worried about me. They all looked at the blood clot and my husband threw up! (i married a wuss!)...so not only did I have to clean the bloody palmagranite, but I had to clean up my husbands vomit, what a day!

p.s. Hillary for president!!
i am a 28 year old mother i had one ovarie taking out and ever since my periods have been bad i even took depo to stop the bleeding and now i have really big bloodclots with a few small i very bad cramping  and i know my pap as come back normal
I have been having stabbing vaginal pain and abnormal uterine bleeing for well over a year now.  I have been to the doctor and she removed polyps, cysts, and fibroids and said that should stop the pain and abnormal bleeding which it has not.  I had a hysteroscopy, laparoscopy, d&C, and pap smear.  The biopsy of a lesion above my bladder came back normal.  Is it normal to be told the same day that the biopsy results were normal.  I have periods that often last from 9-16 days and leave for 7-20 days.  I am very frustrated because I feel like no one is listening to me.  The vaginal pain can be so intense that it feels like I'm being knifed or raped by several men all at once.  My Father passed away last April of Small Cell Lung Cancer, my Mother is in Remission for Throat Cancer and two Aunts are in Remission for Breast Cancer.  I am very concerned.  I am a black female with P.C.O.S. and pre-diabetic.  I am also obese.  I have never dated and married my husband the day I agreed to meet and marry him as per my religion.  I get dizzy when I'm on my period and am frightened that I have Cancer and just feel the symptoms early as did my Mother.  M Father ignored his.  I am already 31-years-old and have been told it will be difficult to have children because of the P.C.O.S.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  My sister also has P.C.O.S. and many of the same problems I have.  
I'm new to this and am impressed with how much everyone seems to be very supportive of each other. My question to you is this: Why Hillary for President? Is it because she's a woman? or do you honestly think she's the best person for the job? Obviously she's not and will do everything she can just to get the votes. How else do you explain Ms. Clinton voting for war in 2002 and then in 2007 "recasting" her vote against the war? Yes, she recast her vote, why? Because so many people are against this war and she wants their votes. Let me explain something, you cannot recast a vote 5 years after the fact just because you are running for president. It's dirty politics and shows just how much she doesn't support the American Troops. All Hillary did was make herself look foolish.
use a tampon ...then focus...next-get on topic.  duh
I just realized that I accidentally posted this to myself before.  But now I'm on track:) blush!!!!
I have been having stabbing vaginal pain and abnormal uterine bleeing for well over a year now.  I have been to the doctor and she removed polyps, cysts, and fibroids and told I have enlarged ovaries.  The doctor said that should stop the pain and abnormal bleeding which it has not.  I had a hysteroscopy, laparoscopy, d&C, and pap smear.  The biopsy of a lesion above my bladder came back normal.  Is it normal to be told the same day that the biopsy results were normal.  I have periods that often last from 9-16 days and leave for 7-20 days.  Sometimes my bleeding is so bad I have to wear an adult diaper along with 2 pads.  I have been checked for anemia and the results always come back normal.  Half way through the day I feel like I'm going to die.  I get dizzy and feel like I'm going to pass out and never come to.  I've never fainted but the feeling is very strong and gets worse after I eat.  I was also told I am vitamin D deficient.  I am very frustrated because I feel like no one is listening to me.  The vaginal pain can be so intense that it feels like I'm being knifed or raped by several men all at once.  My Father passed away last April of Small Cell Lung Cancer, my Mother is in Remission for Throat Cancer and two Aunts are in Remission for Breast Cancer.  I am very concerned.  I am a black female with P.C.O.S. and pre-diabetic.  I am also obese.  I have never dated and married my husband the day I agreed to meet and marry him as per my religion.  I get dizzy when I'm on my period and am frightened that I have Cancer and just feel the symptoms early as did my Mother.  M Father ignored his.  I am already 31-years-old and have been told it will be difficult to have children because of the P.C.O.S.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  My sister also has P.C.O.S. and many of the same problems I have but not to the same severity.  
Are you saying that I cannot voice my political views and someone else can? I didn't bring politics into this discussion someone else did when they wrote "Hillary for President".  I just voiced my opinion on that. As for your "use a tampon" comment, maybe you should elaborate. That is obviously some derogatory comment.
Hi, my little sister has been having irregular periods since about august/september.
They last for about 10-20 days. then stop for a bit, 'and start right back on. She swears its because a few summers ago she didn't bleed from june til about sept. They are not heavy at all. She changes her pad about 2 maybe 3 times a day. She says she has reg. clots. not round...kinda long.  I told her that she should go see a gyno, but she's deathly afraid. She's 19 years old. Had her period since she was maybe 11 or 12. I'm very scared for her, is there anything I can tell her to do while she waits for the gyno apt I made for her?  Thanks to all who help.
Question can you have regular blood clots and uterus shedding and still be pregnant?
I feel a tiny bit sick in the moring and thats really like the only syptom (symptom). what could be causing my  nausea? i had my period for the normal time with a few blood clots and uterus shedding.

HELP?! THANK YOU
Speaking of pregnancy, blood clots, periods, etc..
I'm currently on the pill and currently sexually active with my long-term boyfriend. We are both aware of the risks of having sex and attempt to keep things as safe as possible. Unfortunately, the condom broke a few weeks back and our lack of trust in the 99% accurate pill led us to purchase the "plan B" pill..It's our understanding that it's intentions are to irritate my uterus, unabling it to host an egg..BUT our confusion came when my next period hit. Just a week or so after taking the plan B pill my period rolled around and it was worse than ever. I'm lucky enough to usually have a period so light that I don't require pads or tampons, but this last time I bled so much that I was physically exhausted and even vomitted from time to time because my body felt so weak. I also had blood clots much larger than quarters. Am I freaking out over nothing? or should I get up the nerve to visit a doctor?
I feel for you "fresnoborn".  I had a miscarriage in September last year and had a D&C the following day.  Had 3 normal periods after that, but this past weekend Sunday evening I went to wash and a huge blood clot the same size as yours passed through when I got into the bath.  Now 2 days later I am only spotting.  House doctor told me to do a home pregnancy test but that thankfully came back negative, and I am also doing the bbt, and temps are low so there is no pregnancy.  Gynae is back from leave on Monday so I will then make an appointment to see him.
Just so you know.. Sometimes you can get pregnant, and it NOT show up on a test, then get your period almost on time, except it'll be heavier, and can have clots,
There are many other reasons for clots,

Fibroids, PCOS, thicker than normal lining. Lots of stuff like that. I currently am 6 weeks pregnant w/number 1. i'm 21 yrs. old and married.
(it wasn't planned.. but that's ok)

Anywayse, a great site to go to is Babycenter.com They have tons of great advice, for pregnant women, or just woman questions!
PLEASE HELP!!  I'm 31 years old and have been TTC for a little over a year.  In that time, I've had 3 periods where this VERY weird thing has happened.  I saw that someone mentioned it earlier but no one responded.  On my heaviest day I usually pass clots.  Nothing enormous, normal.  I expect it.  I feel the cramping and know it.  However, 3 times in the past year I have pass a rather large WHITE CLOT that is mixed with a little blood.  It is mostly white though.  Today's was probably the size of a half dollar but with no defined shape.  It was a  big blob.  The material was pliable but very strong.  I don't think I could have ripped it apart without a lot of effort.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I thought the first time I had this I was having a miscarriage.  The blood result was inconclusive.  The second time I thought it was a miscarriage too but that blood result came up a firm negative.  Now here I am again. I should also mention that my periods are longer than average (7-10 days).  Please, someone out there, if you have any clue as to what this could be caused by let me know.  I'm wondering if this is part of the reason we haven't been able to conceive yet.  Thank you in advance!!
Well, all I can do is tell you what happened to me about 20 years ago.  I passed a piece of white tissue - something I had never encountered before, and was immediately very worried.  I had passed menstrual clots before but this was totally different.

The day before, I felt weak and feverish, and came home to go straight to bed.  That night, I thrashed back and forth with a huge fever.  I don't believe I have ever felt the same since.

The next morning, I woke feeling weak but free of fever and went to the toilet.  This is when I passed the tissue.

I scooped it from the toilet and put it into a glass jar.  I called the doctor's office and they told me to take it directly to the hospital lab.  I did so and then went to work.  

I got a call at work summoning me to the doctor's office immediately.  He told me that I had expelled the lining of my uterus and that it was a very rare occurrence and that it was very possible that I had an ectopic pregnancy.

I had a pregnancy test and ultrasound, which both were negative for pregnancy of any kind and then another two weeks later.  He has never been able to explain why this happened to me.

Since then, I have had five pregnancies, and produced two live children.

Has anyone experienced something of the same?

Hey my name is Ashley. I'm 18 years old and my periods are very irregular. I had my first period when I was 11 years old it last for 3 days than it didn't come back until I was 14 years old. My doctor told me that I was fine when I didn't have it for those few years. My periods have been crazy as a 2 head Dino with cat ears a dog tail and a zebras mouth yea I know very weird. They would come and go I was sexually active at the age of 14 and I don't know if that cause my periods too start. But my period was sort of regular until i was like 15 and a half. Then it went off didn't come back on until I was like 16 and a half. Now my period stays on for at least from 2-8 weeks big huge blood clots bigger than apples. I had some white fleshy stuff past through me today with some blood. I'm scared I had a pregnancy test done I'm not pregnant. I'm scared because I don't know whats going on with me. I cant even have sex if i wanted too. I need some help my doctor seems like she can help but doesn't pursue it or anything. The bleeding is unbearable. The pain I just try too deal with it but I need help. Please if anyone knows what to do help me please. I need relief my periods are a hassle. I wanna have a hysterectomy but I don't wanna lose the chance of having kids in the future. What should I do I have appt on Monday please anyone help me.
I am 45 years old and have been experiencing "off and on" periods for a year or so, my question is, is it normal to have no periods for months and then have the heaviest period I have experienced since I was 11 or 12 and also passing the biggest clots ever?  If you can help me understand this I would be grateful.  Also some more background about me, I have 2 children that are 25 and 21 and have also had a tubal ligation, but that was after my youngest was born 21 years ago.  Please help me, I feel like I am bleeding very excessively....
I completely agree with your political views, but is this the place to voice your political opinions, I dont think so.  Like I said I completely agree with your opinion but take it to the political bulletin board, not the medical boards where women are having trouble with their periods etc.............................
As women we are some of the most sensitive and intuitive beings around. Our thoughts and our experiences have enormous impact on our physical bodies. -We can learn to create health.- The most amazing book with the most incredible answers is:

_Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom_
by Christiane Northrup

Finally answers to "why" is this is happening to me?
Answers most doctors don't dare to even ponder upon.

(3 bucks used on Amazon - well worth it)
Hey Everyone we need to respond to Averyms message, she's in rough shape.
Now tell us what your OB has to say about all of this?  
I am sorry but clots of large size are a total sign.  Sorry to get personal here but after sex do you have extra pain or bleed right after.  What I mean is lets say your period seems over and the next day you shag, does it suddenly come back, especially right after the deed is done?

I ask that since I was bleeding all the time, I mean my period was 20+ days a month, so draining, as imagineable, and painful cramps.  I was working a lot, very high stress and was really draining my adrenals.  At the ER we discoverd that I had a grapefruit size dermoid cyst INSIDE ea. ovary.  I had a laperotomy within the week and I seemed good....until my first period, it actually all got worse.  Well that was 2.5 yrs ago and I am still disabled. My periods are very painful, long bleeding times, with only 1-3 weeks break between periods. I am sure the surgery created scarring or I have grown endomitriosis.

My point.  If you all don't make major changes here or really push your doctors to REACT to your symptoms then you may end up like me.
Averyms you have got to try to get healthy with your weight.  The primary reason we have all these issues is due to estrogen, we have too damn much of it.  When we are overweight, and especially obese, we have uncontrollable estrogen.  You have to drop that weight, in a HEALTHY way.  Everyone here should be eating tons of green veggies and fruits, these help block estrogen receptors.  No red meat, no alcohol, no caffiene, NO SUGAR.  Does this sounds like a big part of your diet?  Look I drink, I love wine and I love steak and I love ice cream and coffee every morning.  but when I stop eating those things I notice a big difference.  You also, if you can afford it, need to look into a natural BioIdentical hormone doctor.  Where you two live (Fresno I am guessing Fresno,CA). I'm in Northern California and know a Bioidentical doc in Santa Cruz.  I am disabled and living off of borrowed money so I can;t afford to see her anymore, she does amazing work though.

get better ladies, no one is alone here!
CP
PS- NOBODY TAKE DEPOT LUPRON - it is the devil, if you want to know I'll tell you what happened to me!  F*C* Kaiser!
Im 22 years old and jus recently ive been having heavy periods(which is not normal) im usually a light to medium flow...but any way i been passing blood clot some small some big but the big ones are bigger than a quarter and mild to moderate cramping and discomfort especially in my lower back...i want to know what cuases this and whut can i do to go back to my regular flow.im realy scared to go to the doctor.
I had my first baby about 2 years ago (C-Section). I breast fed for 9 months and my periods started around the 10th month after delivery. Since then (last one year), I've been having very uncomfortable periods. The first couple of days, I pass big blood clots every 2-3 hours and smaller ones every half hour. The bleeding itself is not heavy. As long as I pass out clots as soon as I get them, I don't have to change my pad for atleast 6-7 hours.

I went to the doctor a couple of months ago and he gave me birth control pills (yaz) to thin the uterus lining. But the pills caused weight gain. So, I stopped them last month and I'm back to passing heavy clots. It is a very difficult as I can't go anywhere out and have to be near a bathroom all the time.

Is there any way to reduce the clots without taking birth control pills?
I can honestly say that I feel everyone's pain. I have had my period for the last 3 weeks and I am passing blood clots the size of kiwis every time I change my tampon. I have to change it every three hours or it will be messy. I am also having to wear a pad just to be safe. Last month my period lasted for three weeks and it was okay b/c I didn't have one the month before. But it seemed to get lighter and stop so I wasn't worried. I am going into the fourth week tomorrow and I show no signs of stopping. I have been working from hom for the last two weeks b/c my boss doesn't want me to have an accident. I have been to the gyno and been tested for fibroids, cysts and cancer. Each have come back negative. But I am not in any pain, no cramps or backaches, I feel fine. I am just bleeding really heavy. The last time this happened I had a period for 3 months and had to go on b/c for it to stop. I am really worried now b/c I want to have a baby soon and think that this may ruin my chances
I am 45 years old my periods started getting heavier around a year ago with blood clots and  sometimes normal periods  in between then very heavy again. Now I have had my period for 4 weeks(YIKES) it will slow down for a couple days then I wil get cramping and start a heavy flow agian and it just wont stop ! I have an  DR.apt. next Tues. But I research it on the internet and it could be a number of things, has anyone else had anything simalar?I am so frustrated..
there nothing to worry about blood clots are the eggs in your uterus that dont get fertilized by sperm and therefore are discharged during your period
hi,im 20yrs old & my period was 7 weeks an 5 days late.
finally it came last night(4-13-08) it started off light pinkish color then in the morning it was reg.color now today i used the bathroom an a blood clot the size of a quater came out of me like a dark purple color!
is sumthing wrong?i took 5 hpt an 1 blood test all neg. so i dont think its a misscarrige,im scrared..

please w/b.

*thanks=]
Hi don't know where to start so I'll jump right in.  My cycles have always been on a regular cycle and very light just enough to be a bother, until last month when I was almost two week late.  Well again this month I was four days late.  I started my cycle yesterday with minimal bleeding, well I woke up at 3am this morning and passed a blood clot the size of a baseball, and I had severe bleeding.  I ended up having to mop the hallway and bathroom floors at 4 am this morning.  Is passing a clot this size normal? or could it have been a miscarriage?  My DH and I have been ttc for over two years for a second.  Everything seems to be back to normal now, very light bleeding.  Should I call my doc, or am I being paraniod?
thats not normal;
if its bigger than a quater u should call ya doctor.

good luck*

i kno i posted this already;i jus need sumone to resoond.=[
Are there any women who have there period weeks at a time? Im 45 and have an apt to the dr. but am also having pelvic pain off and on and clots .It is very scary to bleed for weeks !the dr. says could be hormone imbalance fro going throught he change .
HELP!
i am 17 years old and i first got my period after my 16th birthday!
lately i have been having clots about the size of a half dollar in my period and my period is irregular. sometimes it lasts a week but this cycle it has lasted for almost 5 weeks!!
im really worried and i dont have any idea why it is like this!! my periods normally last around2-3 weeks=C but 5 weeks is extremly long!
i am NOT sexually active and i dont take any bc or anything...
can anyone help me?!?
Hi there,I had my second daughter 7 months ago and I have had 5 periods since then.My periods for the first 2-3 days are very heavy,dark red and I have alot of clots. I also have some painful cramping and lower back pain to boot.I was just wondering if this is normal after having a baby,it did not happen with my first.Anyone have this problem?????
HELLO, I BEEN TRYING TO GET PREGNANT FOR OVER A YEAR AND STILL NOTHING... SO JANUARY - FEB NO PERIOD. I START 2 GET HAPPY :) THINKN IM PREGNANT... TAKE A PREGANCY TEST AN ITS NEGTIVE ; ( ... OK. MARCH SPOTTING VERY LIGHT (NOT NORMAL 4ME)...APRIL NO PERIOD, HAPPY AGAIN ;)  
MAY 3 MY PERIOD CAME ON VERY LIGHT  BUT I'V BEEN FEELING PREGNANT SENCE APRIL, NOW IT'S MAY 6, AND IM IN CRAZY PAIN... SO I GO 2USE THE BATHROOM AND I HAVE 2PUSH...A BIG BLOOD CLOT DROPS OUT (SO NASTY) I FEEL IT AGAIN SO I CATCH IT WIT TISSUE AND IT LOOKS LIK A LITTLE FETUS... IM VERY UPSET AND STRESSED NOW CUZ I THINK I HAD A MISCARRIAGE??? COULD THIS BE?
I'm currently on my period and last night my fiance and I were having sex when I suddenly felt a massive pain like the cramps when my period starts.  I'm 18 and started when I was 12.  What worries me though is when I put in a tampon after the pain I had to change it within 10 minutes and found a rather large clot (a little bigger than a quarter) on it.  Is it normal to have to do that afterwards or is something wrong with me?  I told him when it happened and he started to panic thinking he had done something to hurt me.  Should I go to a doctor or just not worry about it any more than I have?  I don't want to scare the poor man anymore than I have because of this.
Hi, my period is like for a day, using only slim panters, i went for toilet have a wee and then hude cloth come out, and since that i feel dizzy , extremly tired, and have stomach pain, mu nurse said could be miss carriage??????Please advised Thank you.ANGEL
Okay so I'm 19 yrs old, been on birth control for almost 2 years now and also am taking thyritosin for my low active thyroid.
this month i had my normal period on time (3 days light to medium) i was fine for a week then started to see spotting. i then started to bleed at a moderate flow and getting blood clots about the size of dollar coins and a bit bigger about three times a day, i am now on day 10 and still bleeding. today i also had really bad pains that felt like a twisting and it made me feel like i was going to pass out and really shaky... should i be concened?
Recently I've had the same problem with clots, heavy bleeding, bleeding lasting 2-3 weeks, etc.  After visiting my regular MD she told me it was stress because my PAP was normal.  Not satisfied with this answer I went to my Gynocologist and she diagnosed me with a low thyroid AND polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).

The treatment given to me is Levothyroxine for my low thyroid and YAZ birthcontrol to help with the PCOS.  I have been taking this combination since the beginning of the year and thankfully have had no problems.

My period is light-medium and lasts about 3-4 days.  I experience some cramping a some small, NORMAL clotting.

When I was having heavy bleeding I visited the ER at one point and was told to take a combination of Tylenol - for cramping and ibuprofen  - which would help with the bleeding.  They said it was OK to take both at once, and it did help.  But be sure to see a gynocologist because they deal with these problems exclusively and in my opinion can diagnose the real problem behind menstrual issues.
I need advice im only 16. And well My period last month was around the 18th of April right. Well I didnt start till 2 days Ago. And Ive had unprotected sex with my boyfriend a lot in the Month of may. Like around the 17th. We think I had a miscarriage because of my symptoms. I had light bleeding in the morning after we had sex and he came in me. Then it stopped and later on I started bleeding. I thought it was my period as the day got longer I realized I was on my period. Well my 2nd day I been going extremely HEAVY like just standing it was dripping badly and almost down my legs. I noticed some blood clots too. Im having a lot of them. I threw up this morning and last week around the same time. I dont know what this means, but I know my boobs have gotten bigger so Im thinkin I could have been pregnant, I was having some symptoms. I was at the point i was flipping out I never had this happen to me before. My mom kept asking me if I was preg. and i said no not that I know of. I am very sad if i did miscarry. today is my 3rd day of my period "supposdely" and im going pretty light with a couple blood clots. Im trying to make an apptment with my gyno soon.
I am currently on my period and I just passed a blood clot that didn't seem like a blood clot to me. It was very "meaty" and it was bigger than a quarter. It was as long as my pinky but as thick as my thumb.

I do usually clot during my periods but this sorta scared me. I felt the pain of it coming through and I knew something was going to come out. I am overweight so could that be a connection to this?
If this doesn't sound normal, please let me know because I've always been afraid of something bad happening to me. I was watching House at the moment so you could only imagine, haha.
Hey I'm 18 years old and sexually active.. I get blood clots also, long fleshy clots ( gross).. I have been having my period almost every other month for about 3 years now. I only recently got my period in 9th grade, and when I do get it it's mean, CRAMPS KILL ME..Could the sex be the cause of my delays?! and could my irregularity affect my fertility!?
When I was a teen I had a normal period. I had small blood clots. Nothing to be worried about though. Things changed slowly though and while in college my periods became worse. The blood clots became larger, which made my cramping worse. I never really cramped before so I always knew when a blood clot was coming.

I saw the school doctor and was put on birth control pills. It sort of helped. I spotted more when I didn't have my period though. By then it was lasting 5-7 days. It always lasted at the most 5 days when I was younger, but in college it was heavy the whole time and the blood clots grew.

So, I continued on the birth control pills not really seeing much difference because I was spotting a lot and my periods stayed the same. Everything was just more regulated. I was put on different pills and some were better than others but I eventually stopped taking them all together. It wasn't worth it.

Progressively, my periods became worse and worse. Lasting up to 8 days. All days very heavy, with huge blood clots the size of golf balls to grape fruits. It was so bad I wouldn't go anywhere when I had it. I'd need a bathroom every half hour, just to pass the blood clots.

My mother had the same issue, except minus the blood clots. Her periods were just extremely heavy, which is bad enough. She gave me this book about endometriosis and fibroids. It's a great book. It tells you everything. Basically, though, the main thing is to exercise and change the way you eat. It had a whole list of things that made your periods worse and other things that helped and/or didn't affect it. It really works, except you need discipline which I didn't have at the time.

So, fast forward a few years. I had graduated from college and had been out of school for a few years. I went back on birth control. The one where you have a period four times a year. It was horrible. Like before (don't know why I thought things would be different) I was spotting so much in between periods it was like having a period all the time. It was ten times worse than before, in fact. So, I went off of that and changed doctors. She wasn't getting it, and she wasn't helping.

I also, found that book my mother gave me and started following it. My periods got better, but i think I was to worse off for it to do it's effect right away. I kept at it though. No dairy, no sugar (at least I tried). The doctor I did switch too had me get an ultrasound and confirmed that I had swollen fibroids. We tried a couple of things, of which I can't recall because they didn't work. I just remember a few months later being at work and almost bleeding to death because my flow wouldn't stop. I remember standing up and it just gushed out of me. I quickly put my sweater around my to hide anything and ran to the bathroom.

***I've had the gushing before this. I don't know if anyone else has experienced it, but nothing holds in in. The pad or tampon is useless.***

Basically, it felt like and looked like all the blood from my system was coming out of me, with blood clots the size of baseballs. One after the other. Luckily, I worked with my sister and called her up. She called 911. I wanted to go home and sleep it off (I know, crazy). That's what I was used to. I was so light headed (which I was used to) that I was light headed even while sitting (which I wasn't used to). Obviously, because of anemia. I was on iron pills, which helped but not to stop it completely.

Once I told my gyno about this she referred me to a fertility specialist she knew that dealt with fibroids. They did ultrasounds, and scheduled me for a hysteroscopic myomectomy. He also prescribed this shot called Lupron. I think it was called that. I was on it for three months. He wouldn't do the surgery until I had enough blood back in me. The best three months ever!

Once I had the surgery I was completely fine. It only took a half an hour. It was like night and day. My periods were light and only lasted three to four days. I went back to eating dairy and sugar. A few months later though my periods began to get worse and worse. I remembered the book, and started to cut things out again, which worked. It's extremely hard to eat this way, but it really does help. My weakness is pizza, so a couple of months ago I decided to make my own. Last month for the first time since I had my surgery I had a three day period. I still have a heavy day, but nothing like before. I still get paranoid, but it's never been like it was.

I mean, it's something to try. Again, it's really hard. I'm living like a vegan, except I eat certain meats. I love cheese!!! It's so hard! I can always tell when I cheated though because when my period comes it's affected.

...I guess it would help to say what the book is called. It's called Fibroid Tumors and Endometriosis: Self Help Book.
As I was reading your story. I went through the same thing its funny that us women have the same issues.  My clotting is like a baseball, and I can tell when its about to come down. Thank God I dont cramp anymore after having two kids.  My tubes are tried after my second child. And Im over 40 years old.  I really dont need a period anymore some day I will have it removed.  I really think its in what we eat, I have noticed if I eat healty I have the best period  well not the best, but its a period  I just hate bleeding anyway. I wil look for that book at the book store.  Thanks again for sharing your story with the rest of us.
hi i was wondering about having blood clots, cause i had one come out and it had something small and kind of whitish grey and hard and in the shape of a 4 or 6 week old fetus at leaset thats what it looked like when i looked at the medical book, do anyone know what this is??
My mother is now 50 years old. Beginning in her mid-forties, her periods got heavier and heavier and longer and longer, to the point where she might be off one day, if it stopped at all. She has three grown children, all vaginal births. We finally got her to go to a doctor. It turns out, in her situation, her uterus was actually falling out. The doctor attempted a "tuck," but it was not long-term successful. She then had a hysterectomy (left ovaries in tact), and she has never regretted that decision. She went through about five years of near-constant menstruating. I don't know how she didn't become anemic or worse.
Hi I'm 29 yrs old and I went to the gyn and she did a pap smear on me that is the only thing she did to me and she told me that I have PCOS, well she didn't tell me what it was she told me to look it up in the internet, do you think that it is ok for her to tell me to look it up instead of telling me what it was, Well I wasn't very happy with her, so a week later I went to Mexico and I went to a Dr. over there and I had told her that my gyn and told me that I have PCOS she she did and ultersound on me and told me that I do have cyst but that they are not PCOS, so I don't know the difference on the cyst well anyways she told me that I have to cysts on my two ovaries and she gave me a medicen called PROGYLUTON. I'm suppose to take them as soon as I get my period, so I did. Well also what I did I went back to my gyn and I showed her my ultersound and I think that she had gotten mad because I had gone to another DR. Well no I'm switching Dr. I kind did like her she seemed kind of rude to me. Well also she wanted to put me on clomid but I was thinking shouldn't she check on my cyct so call that I have before putting me on anything. What do ya Ladies think.
Hi! I have never had experience with a doctor to tell me "look at internet". Usually, I read things before I go to the doctor to get an idea what may be wrong with me or just to get familiar with my symptoms and causes. Regarding your cyst I think is something normal. I had last year on my left ovary the doctor told me it goes by itself. This summer I went overseas and I had done ultrasound there. The doctor there told me I have cyst this time on my right ovary and she also gave me a medicine for this. I didn’t take anything. When I come back here I went to my doctor he said the same think as last year it is normal for my age. By the way I am 24. So I am not sure why,  looks like the doctors in the U.S. are not considering the cyst as something bad. They say it is normal and I believe it is.
Hi! I have had the same experience but iv had blood clots that are the same size of my hand, i could have my period for a month or two like real heavy!! then after that i wont have my period for maybe 3 months. but this happened before i started going to the gym, so then i started going to the gym but still no period, so i went to see my doctor and she said just to keep going to the gym and after few weeks i still didn't have my period so i was worried then i went back to my doctor and i got a ultrasound done, i got my test back & every thing was normal but now i have my period but its very lite. So is that normal??
Hi, I'm 18 years old and have been on the Depo shot for about 3 years. I just got my shot yesterday (for anyone not familiar with the depo shot you get it every 3 months, and your not supposed to have your period.). I told the nurse that about 3 weeks ago i started bleeding very heavy (not normal for me ) for about a week in a half straight, then it stopped. A week passes then about 4 days ago it starts again, heavy, even after i recieved the shot, really bad stomach pain and back pain. This morning i passed a clot, not too large but enough to make me worry after all of this weird stuff happening. They told me while i was at the doctors office that i was a day late on getting my shot...could i be prego? I took a pregnancy test about 2 weeks ago, as i always do before my shot just to be safe..but i dont know whats going on!! help!
I have to say I'm a nurse but it's funny how when something happens to you , it's hard to understand what's going on because you freak out and stop thinking like a nurse instead feel like the patient. My story is as follows:  I'm 25, no kids have tried for 6 years now without luck but my husband has very low sperm count (that's another forum) have always had period problems, irregular sometimes not getting it for over 3 months then it would come lightly for a couple of weeks and just recently started "clotting" At first I freaked out and thought my uterus was falling out or something, i know kinda dum then I thought no just my period very crazy. okay so that was the first time, second time I get my period normal no clots or cramps and light perfect period if there's such a thing and yes I have sex with the husband great my period was gonna be over and bang it starts again this time with big clots everytime i laughed or stood up even sitting could feel the clot trying to pass. I run to the bathroom and sit on the commode i'd say the size of those little clear 30 mL med cups like 15mL or half each time occurring 2-3 times an hour then stopping for 4-5 hour then restart again. It's bright red/purple in color not "fleshy" otherwise coagulated blood. Being a nurse I know you can only bleed so much before you become anemic and a simple way to test for it is pull your bottom eyelash out(or the skin directly under your eye) and downward looking at the inside color of the inner eyelid, the lighter the color means usually your anemic and darker not anemic. also if you have cravings for ice and like to chew on ice or cold things is another sign you could be anemic. good tip is to drink plently of water to replace lost fluids. Keep an eye on your blood pressure the lower it goes from your normal means your losing volume and might get hypovolemic shock due to excessive bleeding causing you to feel dizzy or passing out but if you monitor your temp the higher it gets is a classic bad sign and the pulse going up then shooting down is a bad sign  call 911 quickly they would most likely start I.V. fluids to replenish volume lost so anyways i'm getting off the point. Blood clots aren't fun and make you feel paranoid and I am going to make a Doctor appointment. I am good at asking quesions and will make sure to ask plenty to answer some of the questions on here. I wish I knew more on this subject but I work with geriatrics and can tell you just about anything on that subject OB/GYN not so much. I'm new to this site/ community and look forward to hearing from you guys. When I get more information from the doctor I will post. well thanks to those who read down this far I hope I answered some or part of questions being asked.
I have no idea what to do.... it all started when i was like 13, I started to get really bad crams and large blood clots. I'm 23 now and I'm still dealing with the pain. On the day that i get my periods for the first hour everything is fine.... then the pain starts to come more frequent and more painful. It reaches to the point that I am screaming in pain. I throw up and I'm in and out of the bath tub. Sometimes i even pass out. After about 8-10 hours of that i finally pass a huge clot and I'm calm again...I have been taking birth control but lately it hasn't been working..(at least for the pain) I just had surgery in January a laparoscopy, D&C and and they dilated my cervix. My cervix was completely closed. It hasn't helped. The only thing that they found was adhesions on my large intestines, they were pinned to my pelvis.  I have tried everything! Nothing works... I have had 3 different doctors and they all say the same thing! Birth Control... its the only solution that they can come up with but its not working anymore! I'm scared i wont be able to have children... does anyone have any suggestions?!?! it would be greatly appreciated!! I'm hopeless!
Hi everyone,

Good to know i am not the only one out there with these crazy periods. Can guarantee that my periods are every 28 days, though last month it came a week early and this month a week late. I have 2 children age 4 and 2. About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with endometriosis as i was having very heavy and painful periods, unable to walk with them. But since having the children they have calmed down loads. However now the timing is not as bang on as t normally is  and for the past 6 months I have been passing huge clots everytime I have gone to the toilet. Just standing, laughing or coughing brings them out of me. I can even push them out it is awful. For the past 4 months I have had movements in my tummy as if I was carrying a baby but have done tests and are negative. Plus I have full blown periods and no other symptoms. Can anyone give me any advice as to what these blood clots and movements in my tummy could be??

Emmaxx
Well, I'm 57, hadn't had a period in about a year then had what I thought was one about 7 months ago.  It just seemed like a period. So when I went to have an annual pap smear in August I mentioned it and she wanted me to have an ultrasound to check the thickness of my uterus.  Well, that showed a little thicker on one side so had an endometrio biopsy last Thursday just to be on the safe side.  I am waiting the results of that.  In the meantime,  I had som slight bleeding on Friday and Sat. Then it was down to almost nothing on Sun. and Mon., but I was passing some dark clots before going to bed at night.  Last night, Tues., there was one about 3 quarters long.  It kinda scared me.  After that hardly any spotting at all.  I am waiting to hear back from the Dr. office right now.  I don't know if this is normal after having the biopsy or not.  I feel fine otherwise.  Just concerned.  Any comments?
For 2days and half I was passing blood clots the size of a walnut and sometimes twice that size.  From 7 AM until I went to  bed I change a pad hourly.  At one point I did get dizzy.  At one point I couldn't go out because I was afraid I would have stains after I got up from sitting.  The fourth day I went to the store and couldn't hardly walk in the store or up a flight of stairs.  I feel better when I'm  sitting.  I told my doctors, but they didn't recommend anything.  I'm  drinking fluids to make up the loss from the blood.  My shoulder has been hurting me.  i thought maybe low blood pressure.  I was exercising for awhile,  but now I need a break with no energy.  I have VA insurance.
You have GOT to go to another doctor. Having to change a pad hourly is serious. You probably do have low blood pressure and anaemia. If you told the doctor everything you wrote here and he recommended nothing then he is a useless doctor and you need to get help from another doctor. The reason you don't have energy is you are losing too much blood and drinking fluids won't change this although it won't hurt. Seriously see another doctor/gyn. What age are you? Have your periods always been bad? Good luck and please do go to someone else. Keep me posted. Holly.
Hi everyone, I'm a 35 year old mother of 3 (16, 15, 6 all girls). Almost from the time I started until I had my first child my periods were on a perfect 28 day schedule. I knew exactly when I was going to start every month. Because of the baby, my periods were a little "off" but went back to 'normal' then I got pregnant again... same thing.  With 9 years between my middle child and my youngest, my periods got back to and pretty much stayed on a 'normal' cycle except for the random 'late a week' or 'early a week' thing... up until this past March.

We had a major family upheaval that in turned caused A LOT of stress on my part (my husband left us in February and I've not been able to find a job). March was a normal period, April was near non-existant (only maybe a day), May was basically normal, June was like April only I spotted off and on very lightly for about 2 weeks, July was fairly normal... here comes my problem... I started spotting August 8th but didn't actually start til the 11th (nothing out of the ordinary). The period lasted for about 5 or 6 days (I normally go about 5 days) then it tapered off. About 5 or 6 days later I started again. Normal period for the most part and after about 4 days it stopped. Then around September 6th or 7th I started again but this one was a little heavier, it started to taper off then got heavy again. This past Thursday afternoon-ish I started passing clots, nothing major. Then Friday I passed one about  the size of my thumb. I've never had anything like that so I got really freaked out. I talked to my friend and we looked up some stuff online (which is how I found this site) and I started to calm down. Saturday I felt great! Still bleeding a lot and passing clots but not that big anymore. Sunday was "ok" and this morning I woke up at 3am and hurried to the bathroom because I'd soaked thru the tampon and pantyliner and a couple more clots but "normal sized" for the most part. I've been changing tampons about every hour to hour and a half, maybe 2 or 3 (but only if I'm sitting or laying down).

No cramps, maybe some very light normal period type cramps but otherwise no. Yes, I'm overweight (I'm working on it... I've lost 18 pounds since June) so I was thinking that might have something to do with it and I have IBS. My friend suggested menopause and my symptoms seem to match for a great deal of it but I'm 35 and I've read that only a very small percent start pre-menopause in they're late 30's.

I called my doctor this morning and he's on vacation til Wednesday but the receptionist said he'd probably refer me to a GYN. We're kinda new to the area so I hadn't gotten a regular GYN yet... very nervous, stressing out... any ideas, suggestions, comments?

Sorry for the long post... sitting here waiting for a call back. :)
Hi everyone,
I'm 28 and noticed something weird with blood clots too and found this site and I am relieved I am not the only one.
I've been taking birth control pills since I've become sexually active at 22. I just didn't find the right guy till than. Anyhoo, I was having normal periods up until 6 months ago, when all my periods have become complete blood clots. They aren't big just the size of my thumb or less but I never seen this before. It's not heavy and they only come out when I have to go to the bathroom. I wear a pad but nothing shows up. After 4 - 5 days it stops, like my normal periods usually does.
I think it could be stress related through the 6 months but not too sure. How can I get it back to normal?
Any help is appreciated
Well, right after I made the call on Monday, the bleeding started to taper off and Wednesday it came back heavy like it had been and then yesterday and today it's been "normal". Went to the doctor today. They took some blood, said he wanted to run a bunch of tests, he did a pap smear, and an endometrial (sp?) biopsy. He said I'm anemic and gave me 3 different kinds of iron pills and put me on something to make the bleeding stop. He said we needed to get my blood count back up and go from there. He also suggested I schedule a mammogram (unrelated of course) because I've not had one before and said I'm the perfect age to start. heheh

I'll post again after my next appointment. Hopefully I can pick up some information and pass it along to try and help someone else... or alleviate some stress/worry. :)
Hello. First I want to encourage you to stay positive through your difficult experiences although this may be difficult and frustrating as it does not seem to be resolving.  As an RN I would most definately encourage you to continue seeking medical advise.  Often times it takes time to get to the bottom of these issues and time for your body to make adjustments.  The best thing you can do in the mean time besides prayer if you believe is to improve your diet with "healthy foods" (especially non-starchy vegetables) and avoid caffeine and sugars and drink plenty of water. Get regular/consistent exercise.  It may sound cliche but it actually goes a long way to helping your body help itself with hormone imbalances.----The very best to all----Stay encouraged!
hey well im 16 and ive never had a normal period. It took me about a year and a half to get my period once again so i went 2 the doctor but they said it was normal. then i got it and it lasted two weeks. It was heavy and with many blood clots bigger than a quarter but not as big as a tennis ball. Then it stopped for one week and now i have it again. Im on my third week now and its still heavy and blood clots keep coming down. I started having many headaches and feel light headed. what can it be? im scared because i read that it may be anemia. I have a doctors appt for next month though.
Ok, everybody get off the computer and GO TO THE DOCTOR!  I had dozens of blood clots in my lungs once, and played around with it for about 10 days.  I even went to the doctor three times--I finally went to the emergency one night when I almost passed out.  It was from birth control pills.

All of you need to get your ***** to the doctor, pronto!

The people on here can't even spell, much less diagnose your conditions.
another update...
Another doctor appointment today. They did an ultrasound and took a bunch of pictures. The first thing the doctor said to me when he came in the room was, "OK, you're anemic." and I said, "Yeah, you said that last time." He gave me a prescription for iron pills and some more of the stuff he had me on to make the bleeding stop. I never heard anything from the pap smear or the biopsy and he never said anything so I'm assuming that was all ok.
Anyway, he said the lining of my uterus is really thick and he didn't want me to have another big period so we scheduled a  D&C for the 10th. He said that should take care of it and if not we have a couple more options... ablation and hysterectomy, and I'm not real crazy about the latter.
So guess we're gonna wait and see what happens on the 10th and after.
:)
I am 19 and confused about what is going on.  I have been sexually active less than a year, and for the first three months of the time (of being sexually active), i was on the pill, but then stopped taking it for about four months.  I have just started back on it about a month ago, so this is my first period after getting on the pill for a second time.  about a month and a half ago (when not on the pill) i had to take "Plan B", or the "morning after pill", which has some weird effects.  it made me bleed for a few days and then made my period really long.  about a month after that, a second mishap occurred (still not on the pill at this time) and i needed to take it again.  So i got another plan B and this time started on birth control again.  i took the plan b sunday and then started the pill the next day, monday (as the doctors told me to).  i was supposed to get my period that week, but because i started the pill, i did not get it until i was done with the pack (three days ago).  I also did not bleed from the plan B this time (maybe because of the birth control?).  today my period began, and was very heavy, as it usually is for the first few days, but when in the restroom, passed somehing fleshlike.  i had heard about period blood clots before but never passed any myself, and i have only had my period since i was 15, but now i am concerned it may have been from a possible pregnancy prior to the second time i took the plan B, and the bleeding did not occurr at first because i had just started the pill when i took the planB.  does this sound logical? could this even be possible that i could have been pregnant but am passing it now three and a half weeks later?? i'd appreciate anyone's comments, thanks.
update again... my surgery went really well. They did a hysteroscopy and a D&C. He didn't find anything... he said, 'no cancer, no tumors, no cysts...' So I guess it was just that the lining of my uterus got really thick for some reason. He said the rest of the tests will be back early this week. The hysteroscopy is where they look inside your uterus with a tiny camera and light. The D&C is where they scrape away the lining of the uterus. He said it would basically be like giving my period a fresh start. Still kinda tired from the surgery and they have me on Lortabs now for pain and I have to set up a follow-up appointment for 2-3 weeks from the surgery.
Hi, I'm so glad I found this website.

I'm 15yrs old and sometimes, I have those normal period days.  But then there're other times when I have this heavy flow days.  Today was by far the worst.

I got up in the morning to close the blinds on my window. When I got up, there was this ...idk, some sort of explosion in my pants. I was too stunned to move. I had to very awkwardly waddle to my wardrobe, get another pair of pants and everything, go to the toilet and I had to shower.

When I was showering, the entire floor turned red. And I felt like I just gave birth to a friggen island. Clots were just everywhere.

This has happened before when I was in school. I had to go to the toilet, call my mother to pick me up cos I had leaked through my pads, which I had already changed like 4 times. But my mother said she was busy, so I had to call my dad. He was very silent throughout the entire journey home.

My mother came home and asked if this always happened. I admit, I lied. I didn't really want some creepy old doctor poking around my area. But right now, when I think back, I truly regret it. I should've went! Now, I wouldn't have this problem. Ugh.

Should I tell my mother now? Or should I wait til the period's over, wait for the next month's and see? Btw, I'm going on a holiday near the end of the month (where my period always comes) and I'm getting very scared. What if I clot during the airplane flight?!

And I can't wear a tampon in the airplane. I wore a tampon once and it fell out because my clot pushed it out.

Gross, much?
hi girls im 21 and a few days ago ihad reallllllly bad cramps in my stomach but it was like under my ribs it hurt so bad.....like 2 days after tht i got my period( i never get cramps b4 my period its always during) and it was 5 days early  i have lots of blood clots they r not as big as a grapefruit thts for sure but they look to b bigger then a quarter( whn i look in the toilet there is alot in the bottom) i have already had a lapascopy surgey an i now have a 5 month old i also have bad pains with this period n im really gasy lol but it hurts alot....sry:P what could be wrong??
I'm 26 and have been having my periods for a little over 10 years now. They were always light, barely knew they were there, no cramps or anything. I've always been slightly anemic until I had my son 2 years ago. I had a high a stressful and abusive pregnancy with my ex, and he gave me an STD when we got pregnant as well. I had my son a month late, and I thought I was dying. I know we all think that in labor but I really thought I was. Not only was I having the regular contractions I was also having what felt like another sets that wasn't stopping. The nurses thought I was being dramatic because after they had me walking to dialate I couldn't get off the floor and back to my room. They were going to send me home! They checked my vitals and hooked me back up to the monitor one more time before they proceeded to discharging me ( still having both sets of contractions) and when to nurse went in the bathroom I started throwing up green bile which made my stomach contract more. I thought my water broke at that point and my mom went and got the nurse to check. The nurse nearly screamed when she lifted up the blanket and nothing but golf and baseball sized clots came pouring out of me and all over the bed and floor. I had been passing out off and on during this point and they still were trying to get me to sign the damn papers. All the pain, blood, contractions, throwing up, and passing out... And they wouldn't let my mom sign them! Anyways my son was born very purple, but healthy once his heart rate came back to normal ( below 60 during the ordeal and dropping). Only sign of his whole struggle was a black eye and cheek for a few weeks. I ended up having placental abruption. I now found out I have hpv and cervical cancer cells growing and tons of ovarian cysts ( which I had before I got pregnant and when it ruptured helped me actual get pregnant). I'm not very sexually active, usually my short term relationships last 2 or more years and I've only had a few partners. I think my sons dad gave me the hpv when he gave me the other stuff they just never caught it. I get tested regularry as does my new husband and never knew I had this one thing. We are both military ( well I'm prior now) and they are paying to get biopsys and stuff done on me. Since all these problems and I found out about the cancer I haven't been able to concieve (conceive) since and my periods are twice a month and the most painful thing I've experienced. I don't even think my contractions hurt this bad nor that second set of contractions that ended up being my placenta tearing from my uterus wall! I'm laying here on a heating pad getting up only to pass clots and change my pads and tampons and take more midol. I need relief and I just am so confused about what is going on with my body. I'm taking two iron pills a day now because my anemia has worsened and now I start seeing a specialist in December to find out what's wrong. I am just worried cause I'm sleeping all the time, getting sick alot, moody, headaches constantly, feel like crying constantly and lost 15 Pounds since my last doctors appointment. I knowin not healthy at this point but I'm just so exhausted and still have my motherly and wifely duties to take care of. My husband helps alot when he's home but he is a marine and is gone all the time. Advice or experiences like this?    
Ok, So i didnt have a period in 6 months, and i went to the doctor because i thought i was pregnant. They put me on a hormone medicine to make me start. i had to take it for 14 days. After i finished the pills, 2 days later i started. I started on october 25th. Its now November 23 and im still on my period. My doctor says its normal. i dont think it is. I was going very heavy(Clots, and constantly in the bathroom going pee)... I was cramping really bad... Now im starting to slow down and it will make me think im off and then that night im bleeding again but its light. I wanna be off soon and idk what to do. I cant take no more. almost 31 days this is way too much.. Does anyone know what i could do to stop it. my doctor made me double up on my birth control pills everyday.. it helped slow it down. I wonder if i was to stop taking the birth control if it would help me stop. i wanna be off by this week or weekend. Or maybe should i take 3 pills a day and that will stop it. I dont know what to do anymore. Please if you know anything, Email me. thanks.

Danielle....

***@****
EVERYTIME I SLEEP RED THINGS KEEP HAPPENING ON MY BED WHEN I'M ON MY PERIOD. IS SOME ONE COMING IN AND STABBING ME AND I JUST DON'T FEEL IT???? ITS REALL SCARYING ME AND I DONT KNO WHAT TO DO BECAUSE I DONT HAVE A MOM AND I FEEL EMBARRASSED ASKING MY DAD
Ok I have to start at the beginning of this journey. We had been TTC for about 2 years. I started having bad cramps and lots of pain, periods were irregular and I went to my doc. My ovaries were inlarged with cysts so he put me on Birth Control. I took it for a few months and went back everything was back to normal :) Tried again to conceive and started with the same problems. Done tests and found out that I was not ovualting and the cysts were back. Now I have started with Yaz. I just got through with my first pack but I have been on my period for 9 days and a few days ago I passed these two clots. They were about an inch long and I would say the width of a finger. This whole time the color of my period has been black. It is not heavy at all. Should I be worried and call my doc back??
i am a 30 year old mother of 5 having 4 babies by c- sections, and i had my 5th child in nov of 07'. i started getting a period again when my babby was about 5 and a half months old. first it was irregular, then it came repetitvely. but the whole time i've had my cycle i bleed extremely heavy for 1 whole day, i mean through about 3 different sets of clothes, in the middle of the night. i even bought the new always pads called "INFINITY"
I was so excited because i thought "FINALLY" A PRODUCT THAT MIGHT WORK. It was supposed to be 10 x's stronger than regular pads. I bled thru it in about an hour. so i put two pads on and actually bled right through both of them while i was in CHURCH. anyway i went to the doctor and explain to her my sdituation, so she put me on the pill called Yaz. I just started them Sunday, so we'll see how that goes. but this morning as I went to change i passed a huge clot the size of a tangerine. I got a little scared, but now reading all of these responses(well most), i see that I';m not alone. i hope and pray that i stop bleeding so heavy, because i don't like to go anywhere or do anything on those days, and i will be starting a new position on Jan 5 of 09' and I honestly dred having my period while at work because i will have to sit for about 4 hrs straight before really taking a break. I just pray it gets better for us all.
well i am 20 years old and i had a miscarrige in march 2008 and ever since that i been having really bad periods were i have it for like 5days but passing big blood clogs as big as an apple and that never happend to me before and its kinda scary so what sould i do

jam
I'am almost 43 years old, and seance november of 2006, My period has been all strewed up. I stopped for 6 Months and then i would start again for about 2 Months and now its like i have it for 3 wks out of a month. something is not right, I dont know if i maybe going through menapause or my system is just messed up. My moods are iffy, Sometimes iam crying for no reason, and sometimes iam a real b***h. And tonight i felt something big coming out, so i went to the bathroom and i had a bloodclot size of a apple. What do i do..I had my tubes tide Feb 7,1986 amd i have three grown children. Can someone give me some advice.

thank you

wendy
I'm 44 years old and recently have been having large and frequent clots during my periods.  I've also had my tubes tied and have had 4 children ages 19, 18, 7, 5.  My last period lasted 14 days!  Normally, I don't have the ususal signs of PMS: bitchiness, crying jags, etc, - but recently I cry at the drop of a hat, lose my patience very easily and want to sleep all the time.  I went to my Doctor who said that it sounds perimenopausal.  I'm going back to him today to discuss my anemia and last pap.  He mentioned a procedure called endometrial ablation which is the removal of the uterine lining helping to lessen the bleeding during periods. I'm still looking into it and still in the consideration phase.  If interested, I'll share any interesting findings.
It's great to be able to share experiences to know that you're not the only one going through the agony of menstruation, cramps, clotting and discomfort.  It's also great to hear of people's experiences to know that perhaps certain things might alleviate the pain and discomfort of cramps and such.  But one thing that I certainly recommend is when you have any questions, concerns, or fears about what's happening to you, ASK YOUR DOCTOR.  It's also very important that you feel assured that your doctor is competant and will give you the time needed to answer all of your questions completely and methodically.  It's very important to get checked thoroughly, to make sure that you ask all of the questions that you need to in order to understand what your options are, and research as much as possible to become informed.  If you have any misgivings about who you're seeing, get another doctor.  There are too many inconsistencies - for example, for one woman it might be normal to have a heavy period, and yet for another it could be a sign of a serious medical condition.  Again, it's a comfort to be able to talk to other women to know that you're not the only one to experience the agonizing symptoms of menstruation, but don't just assume that all is okay.  FOLLOW UP WITH YOUR DOCTOR!!  
my daughter is 12 and she is having the same problem but her clots are very small should we go to the doc? im very concerned about her and she has been having cramps that are unbearable
small clots are very normal during your period. If you take her to her gyno they will probably prescribe a strong version of ibuprofen for the cramps and possibly talk about b/c since that can help with cramps.
Hi. I'm 18 and sexually active with my boyfreind. My period has always been crazy but recently there have been clotts that are dark brown/red and the size of a quarter. Also this time my period started stringy and dark redish/brown. Is this anything to worry about ?

-Thanks so much in advance
Ok, im 20 and I have some serious issues going on.. I never have blood clots and my craps are almost non existent. I started my period a little late this month but didn't think anything of it.. It was normal until about the 5th day.. 1st of all it never lasts that long its normally only 3 or 4 days, 2nd I begain bleeding a lot and having to use super plus tampons when I normally use reg the entire cycle.. Now it has been about 10 days and it is still heavy.. Oh and on about the 6th day I have been getting seriouse blood clots.. Deff bigger than a quarter but smaller than an orange.. They are pushing my tampons out causing me to bleed every where.. I go to the bathroom and change the super plus tampon and the giant pad that im wearing every 30min to an hour.. Im super scared.. I also have been brusing a lot and today I felt weak.. I have told a few ppl and they all tell me to go to the doc.. Im to scared to go.. I haven't had my pap exam or anything.. I just can't get over what u have to go through to get that done.. Does anyone have any advixce that might ease my mind and wories..
A gyn exam is not a big deal.  It's very discreet, it doesn't hurt and it only takes a few minutes.  If you're bleeding so heavily that you feel weak, you could be looking at anemia and possibly other problems.  If you don't already have one, you can choose either a male or female gyn to go to.  They are doctors and look at everything very clinically.  Don't let fear get in the way of your life and your health.  
I had the same problem that most said heavy bleeding with clots though not round in shape just long and irregular but lately my periods have been coming heavier and heavier went to the Gyno and he said normal, do you think I should get a D&R ( is that when they clean you out)2 never been sexually active what do you think
meant to say 23 nevr sexually active ( my friend actually told me to have sex) lol.
Hello everyone. I am 29yo ... I started my periods when I was 9. I never really had anyone to talk to about them so I had always thought the heavier bleeding was normal at that time. When I was 17 I enlisted in the military. At MEPS I had to have a pelvic exam, which was my first one since I had not been sexually active at this point and I was ignorant to the fact of 'irregular periods'. During the exam they told me that my uterus was 'out of place' and did something that hurt ... they moved it around. I go into boot camp and did not have a period the whole time .. let me say.. that was really nice lol..Anyhow after boot and getting settled in on my base I schedule a routine GYN visit. That was the beginning of a long journey. My 1st pap came back abnormal. I was told to come back in 6 months for a follow up pap. During this time my lower back started hurting a week before I started my periods.. I started clotting (however..nothing compared to some of you ladies).. I was just miserable all around. I go to base medical and was told I 'pulled a muscle' in my back..so now im on LIMDU (limited duty) and they heavily medicated me for the pain. Well to shorten up story just a bit.. for the next 2 years all my paps come back abnormal and the back pain got worse. I get out on a medical discharge and start seeing a civilian gyn. Still abnormal paps. Nothing done about them. I finally am just so upset and depressed I stopped going to doc all in all. Finally in 2003 I found a great gyn who in the first visit listened to all my complaints. He did a sono that day and said 1)i had a large cyst on my ovary 2)i had polyps. We scheduled surgery.. had a hysteroscopy and d&c done. During the procedure he also noticed fibroids. He told me that the fibroids were behind my uterus which was causing my back pain. He also said my periods should be lighter now..however due to how bad it really was he expected them to return. The next part killed me tho ... he said that if they kept returning I would have to have a hysterectomy. A young lady does not like to hear those words. Well I moved out of that area and had to find another GYN. I have been seeing him since 2005. My paps were abnormal the first year that I started seeing him. Finally he set me up for cryotherapy. Once this procedure was done my paps have been coming back normal!!!!! However .. in the last 6 months my back pain has come back and my periods have been getting heavier again. In December I ended up having to call for an ambulance because I could not move or breath cause of the pain in my lower abdomen. I knew I was not pregnant but it freaking hurt.Upon getting xrays and an MRI done they said it was just an ovarian cyst that ruptured. Now yesterday I had almost the same excruciating pain as I did in December...also now have heavy bleeding and am clotting larger then normal. My gyn scheduled an appt for 1415 this date. They believe another cyst ruptured. UGH... Months ago I changed primary care docs but before I did .. I went to her with a complaint about my periods... also that I have started getting skin tags .. she did blood work for PCOS. she said it came back negative. Well in doing reading on PCOS i have most of the symptoms .. to include body hair growing in thicker/darker.. especially above my lip.. having symptoms of hyperglycemia (i had actually been diagnosed hypoglycemic back in 2000)..as the months go on it seems to get worse... it just seems like a never ending story.... )=

So to the women out there that think they are alone .. from reading these posts please know you are not !!!! IF IN DOUBT,HAVE IT CHECKED OUT!!!
please go see a gyn or your primary care doc if you already havent. having to change your tampon/pad that often is not healthy especially being so young. if you are that scared, ask a close friend or relative to go w/ you for support also if you do not have a gyn or primary care .. ask a relative or friend if they know of a great doc to see !
im not going to say it isnt going to hurt, as everyone is different..just think about this tho..if it does hurt ..the pain is there only a few minutes..compare a few minutes to the way you have been feeling!!! that few minutes can become a diagnosis..which might help end your misery!!

Hi, I am 30 years old and ever since I started my period, it has always been irregular. Sometimes I go 3-4 months w/o one, and even after that they are always very light and last only 3-4 days. Normal for me though, and my paps have always come back normal. I have had 2 children, but the last one was 8 years ago. So, last month I get my period after not having one for about 3 months and It was so heavy I was going through about 3 pads an hour. I was also passing lots of clots, varying in size from very small to about quarter size ( one or two may have been a little bigger). It lasted 7 day ( very abnormal for me), but I figured i'm getting older and maybe my body is changing. Also, did I mention, I do ot get pms? No cramps, bloating, cravings, hot flashes, nothing. But last month i got pretty bad cramps. Ok, so, starting like monday, my nipples have been really sore and then today, I started my period for the second month in a row ( very rare). Also have some cramping, but not too bad. I've been bleeding like crazy. This evening while sitting on the couch with every breath ( literally) A big gush of blood came out. I went to go to the bathroom and my son made me laugh and i felt what i though was a Huge gush of blood come out, but when I sat down and looked, it was a huge clot, solid but mushy, and about the size of a plum. I am a little nervous, what is going on with me because this is way out of the norm for my body. My mother has heavy periods and clotting, but she always has. can things like this run in a family or should i be concerned. I also have type 2 diabetes, could this have something to do with it?
Hi ladies!!

Well I have a question.  I am 22 yrs old and I have never been sexually active.  The whole thing started in 2005 when I started having problems with my period.  Before then I had been pretty regular, everytime on time, no cramps, very light head aches if any, no clots, and never heavy it usually lasted about 3 to 4 days.  Anyway in 2005 I started missing periods, sometimes 2 months, sometimes 3 months and max 4 months with out my period.  I had no worries about pregnacy or STDS since I had never been sexually active (NOTHING at all in any form or way) I went to my general doc and they runned blood and urine tests adn they all were normal and said nothing in that was affecting it.  So they said that the reason why I had been missing periods was because I was over weight.  And the solution to the problem was to loose the extra pounds and it would be back to normal.  Anyway to make the story shorter... I got my period back and then it would go back to normal and then abnormal and like that.  In 2007 I went 7 months with out it then got it and then missed it until Feb of 2008. I had my period and then missed it for 11 months. In between those 11 months I had a point when I had really really bad lower back pain.  I would have it day and night, it would hurt to bend over, drive over road bumps, standing up after laying down or sitting down.  It was really bad all the time but like I said it got to the point when I had to take 4 ibuprophen pills every 8 hrs to have the pain not as bad.  I in a way got used to it and became part of my life.  And then it just went away until I had light lower back pain back in Nov 2008 and that was a usual sign back when I was normal that I was about to get my period and a that typical headache that you know it is from your period because there is no other that feels like that one.  So I got all happy because I thought I was finally getting my period again.  But not really all I got was a very very light red smear when I wiped my self when I went to pee and that was it.  In Dec 2008 I got the same light red smear when I wiped my self around the same date as Nov but nothing. In Jan 2009 I got my self in a "diet" and started taking some natural diet pills and I lost like 12lbs in 3 weeks.  And around the same date as the previous couple of months I got a more noticible period.  I actually got about a quarter size blood smear on my pad.  And to me that was incredible and it was a lot compared to nothing, but that was it, it was all I got.  But now in Feb 2009 it is whole drastic change.  On the 12th I started getting blood smears when I wiped my self but a whole lot more noticible than before now it was there! but my pee did not get stained and the pad could not be cleaner it was only when I wiped my self.  On the 13th I had nothing no smears, nothing! but I did have cramps all day.  On the 14th nothing for the first part of the day until the afternoon, when I had big blood smears when I wiped and some sprinkles on my pad.  On the 15th I had my pad stained nothing more than a quarter big until late afternoon when it got really stained, and my pee got stained and when I wiped my self it was like back in the day when I was normal.  In the night it got heavier and I had to change my pad twice in the middle of the night which was weird to me since I had never done that at night.  I woke up at 6am on the 16th and I had to change it again.  After that NOTHING!!!!!! its like it magically disapeared!!  nothing no stains at all, all day long!! But on the 17th a whole different thing!!.  Out of the blue I started smearing the paper, my pad and you could really see it again.  I started getting more and more and more.  I had a whole lot comming out.  On the 18th I had it really heavy again, but I mean heavy I lost count of how many pads I used all I know is that it was a whole lot. A quantity I had never seen before not even when I thought I had a 'heavy' period way back in the day. And it is just the same today the 19th and as I am typing.  If I sit down I feel the whole thing comming out and when I stand up and walk I feel like I am going to pee in my pants and I feel stuff I comming out! IM SORRY IF I AM TOO GRAPHIC!  and the most weird thing is that I have blood clots when I go pee.  I never had blood clots before.  But thank God not big like some of you have.  Mine are not really big but everytime I go pee which is very very often but it is a few in and hr but a  clot comes out.  Something else I am noticing is a few bruises.  Really small ones a little bigger than a lentil, small but noticible, I have seen at least 5 the same size and color.  But I have no explanation for them or why the size and the place where I have them.  And today I felt all shaky and my legs felt funny.  I got some food in and drank orange juice and milk and it went down slowly, but I felt so weird.  So the very very HEAVY period, the clots, the bruises and the jiggly/shaky feeling are making me feel nervous.  Do you girls think it is 'normal' due to the 11 to 12 months of missed periods and my body is just cleansing out?  that is what I think it is.  I guess since it is my first real period after a year with out one then my body is trying to take out all that it has in there.  But please give me your advise or if you think it is not normal and could be more than what meets the eye.  Thanks in advance !!
I really don't know where to start but i guess ill jump right in. I'm 22 years old and i first got my period 2 weeks before turning 13 and i have had normal periods ever since lasting from 4 to 7 days in a month. :)

i got married when i was 19 and my period was late for about two weeks. when i went to the doctor i had a positive pregnancy test so i was expecting. 4 days later i went to the bathroom and i see my blood! it went on to the next day and i had went to the doctor, the GYN did an internal ultrasound and there was nothing there, as she took out the item that she had place inside me, blood clots came out and she told me it was a miscarriage , i criedd so much, and for the next 5 to 6 days i had my period with blood clots as the size of my thumb and the normal periods since.

but now i had a little fun with my husband with no protection what so ever and i was worried of a pregnancy so i went ahead and got the plan B pill. i received my period yesterday and when i wake up today i see i had passed heavy blood and then  2 blood clots the size of a thumb came out! I'm freaked, because i just start thinking was it a miscarriage? which i highly doubt , or is it the Plan B pill that may cause you to have these symptoms?

PLEASEEEEEEEEEE any help will be of much, much help!
I'm 19 and have been on my period for two weeks now. I used to have really irregular periods.. having one every six months or so.. well for about a year now it's been normal except that every month there is clotting..it's usually about the size of a quarter... maybe a little bigger but this time it's crazyness... I clot about 4 times daily and each clot is about the size of a baseball and the clots are really dark almost black. I have to wear a tampon and a pad... i have to c'hange a size super tampon every 3-4 hrs.. sometimes quicker but as i go to the bathroom and sit down, my tampon and the clot comes out with no help, i dont have to pull the tampon out.. it's as if the size and weight of the clot pushes it out. I'm afraid to go to the dr.. but probably should.
Most everyone here should have been seen by a doctor. If you are EVER bleeding more than one pad per hour, you need to get yourself to the doctor ASAP. Also, clots bigger than a quarter need to be addressed by a doctor ASAP, ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE THE SIZE OF FRUIT!! For those of you here who are afraid of the GYN doc, here's some advice: ask the doctor to use a pediatric speculum (for kids) and let him or her know you are very scared- they will understand your fear. The exams are quick. Everyone is different with exams and they are uncomfortable for some people, but just be honest with your doctor about how you are feeling. When it comes to health, it is always better to know!!
just today, i had a huge clump come out and i was wearing a pad, and i went to pick it up with a tissue and it wasnt liquid, it was squishy and a little bit hard and the size of like 2 fingers.
what is that?
I'm 24. I'm still a virgin.  And for the last 4 years or so I've been dealing with a very heavy clot filled period.  It seems like my period lasts for 3 weeks sometimes and I get shaky like I'm going to pass out.

I'm so paranoid to SIT anywhere for fear that I will leave a little red mark behind me when I stand.  I HATE this.

For about three straight days I will feel clots coming down and rush into the bathroom ever 1-3 hours (depending on if I'm sitting or standing) and sometimes they'll just flow out.  It feels so GROSS.

I feel gross. I hate this so much. I'm so terrified of the doctor and I know it probably has a lot to do with my weight and it just ***** because everytime I go to the doctor they just automatically assume it's because I'm fat.  THAT'S NOT ALWAYS THE ANSWER.  Lose weight they say, that'll solve ALL YOUR FRIGGIN PROBLEMS. DAMMIT.

But nobody seems to want to help me.

Sorry. I didn't have a question as I did just needed to vent. It's been going on for 4 years so it's not like it worries me anymore or it's something I'm concerned about.  I'm just so tired. I want to have kids sometime in the future but well... I'm just tired of all of this.

I just want things to WORK.  I just want it to work. I just want to be ok. I want to be NORMAL.  I want this to STOP.

Great. Looks like my hormones are taking the crazy train downtown tonight. *cries*
Hiiyaa

Im 15 and this is my second ever period.
I think i have a yeast infection but im not too sure i only think i do after looking about this site.
Is it normal to have such a hevy period only on my second time it feels like all i need to do is pee lik every 10mins  pad and whn i go to the toliet the there is so much blood i  need to use 2 sometimes  3 pads at a time.
Some one please help x

hey yall! this is my first time going on a blog  i need some help. im 19 years old and have never been sexually active.  ok my problems started about the 21st of december.  the first thing i noticed was these pains in my sides.  they were not really sharp or really painful but it was enough to let me know that it was there. it is still happening every other day. then sometimes i get like these pains in my vaginal area.  then in january my period was a little late it started on the 12 and did not end until the 22. then before my period i would get these cramps like my period was on but no blood.  i forgot to mention that i did not have a period for the month of february.  now its march and i have it. its been kinda heavy. oh yeah and in feb i didnt have my period but on feb 5th i bleed like i was on my period but it only lasted for about an hour or so.  i am going to make an appt with a doctor for next week. im praying that nothing is seriously wrong with me. until the doctor tells me whats up does anybody have any idea what this could be
I am 21yrs old and have had a miscarriage about a year ago where I experianced large blood clots all attached to eachother. I apparently was carrying twins and one had died. I had bloodclots frequently afterwards and have experianced the same thing (golf ball size all attached - sometimes 4-5) just recently. I am unable to see a family doctor and am not willing to go to the hospital unless I absolutely have to. I am in no pain, but when I pass them I throw up. Feels similar to child birth... I had a pregnancy test done the other day to see if that might have been it, but it came back negative today. Can anybody relate to this? If so, could you please provide me with as much information as possible... Why does this happen?  Thanks
I'm 23 I have four children my youngest is 2mo old I have been having really bad pains in my back for three days finally I started my period it is bright red and everytime I go to the bath room there are dark almost black clots everytime I wipe is this normal never had any problems with my monthlys ?????
Get checked out for uterine polyps.

tdk451
Hi, I am a 25 year old mother of 2 girls! My youngest is 8 months. When she was born I had tons of blood clots in my uterus after the baby was born that the nurse had to dig out. My first two periods were normal. The third period after she was born started off normal with the dark almost brownish blood. A week later I was still bleeding. The next day I passes a clot that was about the size of an apple. From then on my period was bright red and it lasted a total of 28 days. I never went to the doctor bc I thought until I someone tells me something is wrong there is nothing wrong.  That was 5 months ago and everything seems okay. My period comes every 28 days and last for about 3 days. The only thing different is during my period I am passing clots. But they are never bigger than a nickle.
I am 33 and have always had an abnormal period I am overweight and was always told that was why. My last period before this one was April 2007...then it came back Mar 7,2009 and is still going heavy. My doc tried provera and that made it worse. ThenI tried Ocella and that didnt work. Around the 1st week in April my doc put me on Zovia where you take 5 pills a day then 4 ..and so on and that didnt work. Last night I SOAKED a pad it was like I peed on myself and I cannot stand up without these clots falling out. I drove to work and felt them dropping and when I got out my car they just fell down..I am cramping and I just wish it would go away does anyone have any suggestions. I have a pelvic ultrasound scheduled in 2 days and then an appointment with a specialist in 5 days. I have had a  D&C when I was younger for the same thing Im wondering will that help me now...  The blood clots are huge and have to be pushed out I am losing so much blood this cant be normal I guess its my fault for not speaking up about having a period for almost a year!
Anyone with severe heavy bleeding with large clots,lasting 2 weeks or more should have an ultrAsound to rule out fibroids,then laparaoscopy to look for endometriosis,and if you,re totally s***scared,like I was,a hysteroscopy to rule out uterine cancer.
My ultrasound was normal.
I had 3 procedures whilst under GA.
Laparaoscopy,Hysteroscopy and Mirena coil fitted.
  Luckily,the tests were normal,but was told I have an unusually thick womb lining....15 mm
I have been told 8mm is more normal.
  Unfortunately I have had 2 Mirena coils fitted with both 'falling out' .......
My periods are still heavy for a week but better than 3 weeks out of every month like before,with a blood count of 8.....bordering Anaemia.
Although the coil came out,I recommend women give it a try.{unless you want more babies}
I had a year of just spotting....it was heaven!  It must have thinned the lining a little....
It also releases a small amount of Progesterone {which is what I,m lacking}
My Doctor laughed when I suggested I may be starting with the early onset of the Menopause...I,m 37
  They reckon a 3rd coil would probably come out too........otherwise I would have given it another go.Cant take the pill because of high blood pressure.
   If I start with the 2-3 heavy periods again.....I,m having a Hysterectomy!!
Yes i'm a 43 year old i have always had regular periods like clock work lasting 4-5days,always been alot of cramping the first and second day,always been a heavy bleeder,but about this passed september i started having periods on time but no cramping,still heavy bleeding but lasting 15 days,and then on top of that periods are more frequent now went to family doc she did cbc blood work said everything was good,hormones,etc...i also eat ice constantly,and stay cold thought i was anemic but doc said no,anyways just thought i would see if anyone else had the same problem and knew what it was,even thought it might be depression,i don't know,i do know i'm tired of bleeding and i know hubby is way tired.. HELP!!!
You think you all have problems.
I'm 14, I started my period when i was 9 and about 2 years ago was diagnosed with anemia. I also started taking the pill about 7 months ago to make my periods lighter as they were lasting up to 3 weeks. For the past few years ive had tiny blood clots, so i havent worried. The pill has made my periods alot lighter and they now last about 6-7 days but the past couple of months ive been getting bigger blood clots and they have been getting bigger and bigger. I'm so worried, I know this isn't normal, are you even meant to get tiny ones at my age?   Does anyone have any answer?!  please!
I had my first period on my 11th birthday and at 11 I had tiny clots the size if little seeds. As got older in to my later teens I was put on birth control to ease the clotting etc. I am now 37 and have had 4 children and over the course on my life my period has fluctuated from so lite I needed to wear a tampon to tell I had a period to having large clots.

Sometimes diet, physical activity and stress effect your period. I would still mention to your doctor that you are having these problems as it can be a sign of Endo in someone your age.
I am 27 and I had my son when I was 15. I have not had a regular period since. I have had a few here and there but nothing consistant. I didn't have a period at all for 5 yrs and then had 3 very hard ones in a row. Now i bleed a little almsot every day. not alot but enough to have to wear a pad ALL THE TIME. I also have clots and sometimes when im not even bleeding. I am overweight and i have been to the doctor about not having it at all and she gave me provera and it made me have one that month but not the next. I don't have insurance so i can't go to the doctor. I have ben trying yo have a baby for several years but without a period is that possible. Please help me!
if you dont have insurance my advice is to go to planned parenthood. very cheap. they help with everything.
I'm only 23 and I have the same problem. I've never had any blood clots in a ball. Mine are usually long as a pencil. The longest I've had my period for was 2 months and I always have my period very heavy. I'm anemic so I think that's why. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem. When I went to he doctor they gave me pills to take for 10 days. Right now I've had my period for almost 3 weeks now and I want it to go away. Sometimes I go months without having my period. I just want to know if this is normal.
I'm 21 and I always have to push to get my bloodclots out. What the hell! I'm not 30! Why is this happening to me? I thought to myself (maybe you're used to pushing out the clots, in a vain effort to try and get your horrible period over with), and yes, I've had my period since 10 and it's always been horrible. Cramps, heavy bloodflow, all of it has happened since I've been 10.

So I was having horrible cramps, and decided not to push once. I just sat there, for AN HOUR, writhing in pain, running back and forth to the bathroom because I felt like I was going to vomit. Finally I climbed back in bed, and decided to just push. AND THEN IT HAPPENED. Two clots slid right out of me, I'm sorry, two pieces of lining, the size of a remote or something, and the length of one. Why do I always have to push? It hurts so bad if I don't, and it feels like the lining is just waiting to be pushed out. Ugh.
im not sure if im in the right spot..this is my first time on here...ok...here goes...i normally have clotting during my period..always have...but this past month my period was not nearly as heavy as usual and no clotting (about a week ago) well since then my vagina has been really irritated/red  and have more then normal discharge...along with pain in my lower back. i think it might just be an infection since have been having sex quite often..but i got concerned when i started investigating online...since my period was not as heavy and no clots i was wondering if it would be ib...or do u think it just could be an infection...so confused!!
hello, i am sixteen and my periods have always been the same, a few cramps here and there and (this might sound gross) but i would sometimes go number 2 alot, but now my last two periods have been really different. last month i have sevre cramps and this month in fact today i woke up really really REALLY nauseous, i had to cover my mouth and take deep breaths though my nose and i got some water and some gum and i felt a little better. but it kept coming back during the day, now my mom said that a womens period can change every month, and i was wondering if that is normal? i am really scared i have never felt like this before! PLEASE HELP!!! (also i have had diaherra (diarrhea) for about three days and it stoped today, could that be why i am so nauseated?)
hi, what your discribing sounds normal to me... that sort of things happen to me but not so often...taking deep breaths help (in through your nose and out through your mouth) also you should drink plenty of water to replenish your diaherra (diarrhea) fits. i wouldnt worry too much about it...if your really concerned and start throwing up alot i would see a doctor...also this may sounds a little gross but if you use tampons i would recommend taking it out when you have a bout of diaherra (diarrhea)..dont know if there is any medical explanation for this but it just seems to be more comfortable and easier to go while having a BM plus with diaherra (diarrhea) you dont wanna get anything on your string may cause infections. taking some over the counter pill might help also if your cramping alot...alieve works best for me but with any kind of pills their are health concerns i would take the lowest dose as little as possible to prevent any future health risks....hope this makes you feel better! :)
I have not had a regular period since my husband and I have been "together" [1 year] Before that I have always had a pretty normal period. Well I always had one every month just not at the same time every month. Anyways I am 19 and I have never been pregnant. I found out a few weeks ago that I am positive for HPV. My periods have been crazy. I'll go 2 months with out one and then a month with one. Very annoying. Well I just got off of a period on the July 5th or 6th and then I started back on July 12th. It is now REALLY heavy and I am cramping really bad. Also I have passed several blood clots. The biggest being the size of a golf ball. Also I think I should mention that the last visit to the Gyno he said that I am not ovulating normal. I don't think I could be pregnant or was pregnant and had a miscarriage. My mother in law thinks that I am having a miscarriage. I started having back pains today and I may be going to the hospital after my husband gets home from work. Any advice or anything would be nice. Thanks.

Kimmi
I started my period when i was 15 and just to be like all the other girls and went and got the depo injection, i had 3 or 4 injections then decided to come off it. After i came off it, i bleed for 6 months straight and they were really heavy periods. Now i azm on the pill to kind of controll it but now when i have my period they are clots of blood kind of a dark reddy/brown colour. help me im a scared 17year that doesn't have the friends to talk to cause im in a new town but also dont have the guts to talk to doctors about it...

HELP................
Well.. I'm usually heavy the first few days of my menstruation, this time my  period started it was very light and  it has not been 'flowy" like usual.. the only time I feel it flowing is because i'm clotting.  I have had sexual intercourse without protection, it's been 2 months since my last menstrual cycle, I took two home pregnancy test and nothing.. the only thing happening is clots.. I'm scared to think of this as a miscarriage. Can anyone advise?
umm.
im 17 years old. im married. and i have a real heavy and long period this month. i got my period on july 6 and we are now on july 19. i have a lot of small blood clots. but before all this happened i didnt get my period for two months which was may and june. no spotting nothing. so i thought i was prego. i took three at home prgancy test in may and in the ends of june i went to my docter and took one there. they were all negative. and now that i got my period it dosent stop. it is extremly heavy. and me and my husband have sex very often. we do not use protection. and i dont know what to do i have a docter appointment on wednesday.but i thought i get a little feed back here. so any advice or comments??
hi everyone  i have small boobs.please suggest me something with which i can my boobs size
I am 22 years old and i have been having a problem over the past few years....i have had an xtremely irregular period...i will skip a month or two and then bleed for a whole month...not just on and off but a steady flow sometimes its really heavy, and recently i have started having a lot of clotting during my period the clots vary in size but i cramp a lot which i see is normal...i also donated a kidney in 05 which i think may be affecting it...i am still a virgin so i have never been pregnant im just concerned
My periods are every 4 weeks, i start them on a Thursday & by the next Thursday they have stopped BUT! my normal period began 13th August & ended a week later on the 20th BUT then on the 27th it started again, by the friday it was thick blood & i made an emergency appointment with my dr, i thought it may be the menopause but he said emergency appointments are for emergencys only & gave me some tablets to slow the bleeding down & if it was still heavy by Tuesday come back! I started taking the tablets & on the Saturday i went to the toilet 4 times within 1/2 an hour passing loads of blood clots and one huge one that loked like a slab of liver. Its now Tuesday im still passing a lot of blood but im scared to go back to see this dr as he was so horrid & made out that me being scared & bleeding when i shouldnt be not fit for an emergency appointment, I have made a normal appointment with a female dr on 9th september. if it helps im 38 3 grown up children, im not on the pill as hubby had vasectomy many years ago. Any help for be much appriciated xxx
us poor woman why cant men have this bother. ive always had irregular periods and recently have been very clotty its very scary you start thinking alsorts. but after reading the reviews ive relised its normal.  x
My name is Sam.. I am 22 years old and I have 3 kids. Well, at my 6 week check up after my 3rd child, I got an IUD that is inserted under my forearm for birth control. Well, now I am having my 1st  period since my son's birth... and it is TERRIBLE!! I have excruciating cramps and back pain. Also, I passed a clot around the size of 2 half dollars put together. It was white and blood mixed. My family says that it is probably normal, but it still freaks me out... Anyone had anything similar?? And I hope my period goes back to normal. I am usually really regular, and at a normal flow.. not real heavy, or real light (except on the 1st/2nd day, then in about 4 or 5 days it lights up and eventually stops). If anyone has any info, please share!
I have been having irregular periods for the last 4 months, they are 6 weeks apart and last for 10 days at a time, well this period came at the 6 weeks and after 11 days I thought it was over, but I came home fom work put on my jammies and relaxed on the couch.. When I got up there was blood all over the couch, I went into the washroom and my underwear was covered in blood and there were clots in there, the toilet also had lots of clots in it.. What is going on with my body??
You ought to get checked out for uterine polyps.
I'm 46 and usually have a regular cycle. Ususally a bit heavy with clots in the beginning (lasting 3 days), then tapers off. Last period, much breast tenderness that did not go away, headaches, trouble sleeping at night (always hot). What has concerned me is that I started again after only 14 days!
I have RA and take Humira and Methotraxate by injection. Also take other meds for RA. Humira weakens the immune system could that have anything to do with this? Could this be premenopause? I'm in schock and confused. Never happened before.
Just had a PAP about 3 months ago and all was fine.
so lately i have been having these bloodclots, there not exactly round in shape but more like in a line.  and there in the darkest red(black looking)  and this is my first time exeriencing bloodclots as iv only had my period for 4 years. but i have been experiencing them for days, on top of the period. I have also been having the WORST cramps of my life, i had to take a day of work and lay in bed all day, which isnt like me at all. i just feel like i could pass out and throw up everywhere. and iv started to get the poopies, all day.   i also am  getting all these tiny clots everywhere when i wipe. and the huge ones are on my tampon when i remove it.  i just need someone thats experienced this` advice on what i should do.

so my question is: is it normal to be having them, and weather or not i should go see a family doctor about it?

thanks in advance.
I am so very embarrassed to talk about this. I passed...something...like a week ago while on my..."thing". (hopefully you know what I'm talking about) It was this thing, a solid, rubbery thing and when I ripped it apart, blood came out and scared the **** outta me!! It was especially scary because I've had blood in my urine, like a lot of blood! So much that I pass out! But it only happens when I'm really stressed out. After reading the above posts I began thinking it was a blood clot, but I'm not really sure. I have a history of urinary tract infections and kidney infections as well and am afraid it may be because of that. I'm going to the doctor Thursday, so hopefully they can clear it up. But it would help if there were anyone who could throw in there two cents, ease my mind, because it's racing with a millions scary thoughts!
Okay here it goes..I am 24 and I don't get my periods regulary,I got my period 2weeks ago and had it for a week it was a normal period then all of a suden 10/7/09 I spotted and I woke up the next morning with my full period and every 10 mins I have to rush to the bathroom passing a blood clot I am scared that something is really wrong! Anyone out there has had this problem or knows anything about if its normal? Please Help Thanks
Get checked for uterine polyps
I am 36 yrs old. I had a child 2 yrs ago. ( yes, first & last ) I had some complications with him. I have been having my cycle for about 2 wks now. the first week was just a spotting every now & then and when I would wipe it would be pink. this week it has been heavy, heavy with some MAJOR clots. I mean the size between a kiwi to a tangerine. I am tired and my lower back hurts real bad. I don't have insurance and don't want to go to the dr. Does anyone have any ideas that can help.

For heaven's sake: go and see a doctor!!!
I've had blood clots most my years, different sizes, shapes, thin lining comes out divoid of blood as well. Sometimes have a lining bloody drape hand size today. I'm also having my period every 7- 14 days. I've a prolapse uterus and due a hysterectomy. Maybe cause. Dunno.
Sorry, noticed the date on these questions, so a bit late. But yes, women giving birth will tear during child birth. Every one is different and child being born different sizes, so you never know. Child birth maybe natural, but can also be deadly, and not for the weak and faint at heart.
i had my period this week it started out normorl than i started to turn the toilet bowl red with blood strings of blood hanging out of me lasting for a good 10 min before all was out than i started to pass clots of blood the size of my hand  can anyone tell me what may be wrong  i had my tubes tied after my 3 son a 1 yr ago  by the way real bad pain came with all the clots and stuff  im scared to go see dr
i haven't seen my period regularly for a year, of about 8 month no period then it came then not for about 4 month. now i have my peroid i use tampons but couldn't this time because i was clotting so much and it hurt.but this is not like before it is too big to be normal. i thought i was prego but i'm not i took 3 prego test.i hope every thing is right wid me
After reading everyone's Q & A's I feel kind of silly writing but I'm a little worried. For the last 3 months I too have been having large and frequent blood clots about the second day of my period. Same as with most there is cramping involved. It will last a day or two then it's back to normal. I am 30 years old with no kids, miscarriages, and I am not on birth control. What worries me is each month I seem to get weaker, feel more light headed, and the blood clots get worse. Has anyone been diagnosed with anything serious with my symptoms. I think this may be making me anemic.

I could do with some advice really,
Il start of by saying i have very irregular periods and some times go as long as 6months between them so i do not know when i am am due on/off etc but i have been on my period for about 3 and a half weeks now VERY HEAVEY! and for the past few days i have been passing MASSIVE blood clots!
I have a 3 year old and got caught pregnant again when she was 3 months old but it ended in a miscarriage and i had to go under anesthetic to clear everything. We have been trying for another baby for quite a while now with no luck.
Could any of that affect what is happening now? I am really worried and assorts of awful thoughts are passing threw my mind .Please can any one help me?
Hi everyone,
First off I'd like to thank you all for sharing your stories.

And here is mine, I am 18 and I started my period when I was 11 on Christmas day it has been the same except it would skip a month or two for the first few years and then when I turned 15 my brother was in a car accident and his neck was broke. It scared and stressed me out and I missed my period three months in a row.
Then it went back to missing one every now and then the when I turned 16 in April later that year I missed five months, No be deal to me and then it went to missing them every other through my 17 year and this year has been crazy I hadn't had my period for 6 months the on the 12th of October it started. It was very light at first no tampons you pads need, on the 22nd it started to bleed very heavy and I have had it now for 35 days and each day get worse. today I passed five clots the size of golf balls. I am a little worried so I am going to call my gyno inthe morning. anymore light on this would be great thank!
Crazysportsmom is a man. Excellent and informative post cant believe a clot the size of a grapefruit was passed. Hilary for president and yeah totally because she is a woman and im not even american!
Calm down people its very rare for there to be major problems, Cramps mean your uterus is working hard at getting rid of menstruation, I giant one , well that may have been a cyst, and you should be glad that your body removed it. For people with clots, soooo normal, I have had my period since 9 and well had extremely painful cramps. to the point where for 7 days I was out to the world. Anyway, I had a miscarriage and after that no cramps, Turns out that all those cramps were from my body trying to rid of the waste, and well the miscarriage did that effectively, now 1 year later I had my first cramp, and guess what a blood clot the size plum seed. I didn't do a dnc and never intend to. A woman body takes care of itself, Your period is a natural cleansing cycle and your body will do whatever it needs to pain, clotting, extremely heavy blood flow (not a danger unless your filling a pad like every hour, still its good to take a multivitamin and some folic acid around your period to help with the anemia) blotting is the expanding of your uterus to remove waste. Listen to your body, unless its telling you something wrong, then there isnt.
Hi, I am 16 well 17 in 3 days but i have a question for anyone that can help. I had a miscarriage about a month ago, I experienced  all the blood clots and I assume it was normal I never went to the doctor when I had it. Should I have gone to the doctor? well after the cramping and all that i never stop bleeding no clots or anything, i had stop for about a day in a half. And that was 5 days ago and know i am bleeding non stop again and I am having blood clots Large big small all of if the biggest was a little bigger then my palm. No cramping at all. I dont know what to do it just wont stop and it is very scary. Any help? What can i do? Am I ok? IDK. Thank you
Firstly - thank you all so much for sharing your experiences. My mind is soooo at rest now. I thought something was majorly wrong with me (re: big blood clots). Secondly, K_R_B8 - I'm going through exactly what you are and I've made an appointment to see a doctor, to discuss it with her, and to get a full health check.
I've been bleeding and clotting (large and small) non-stop for 3 weeks. This is the longest ever for me - but I'm just keeping calm and dealing with it. Like Empressofmoon said - your body does what it has to - and I havn't been taking care of my body for quite some time now - so I'm just thankful to my body for putting up with me and getting rid of all this crap inside of me. Yesterday a very large clot came out of me, and my IUD came out with it. Was scary, but now - I know it was just time for it to come out (my view that i must be ready to have more children didn't sway with my partner though!)
I'm detoxing for the next 4 days (as in, just fruit, veges and water) to help get rid of any extra waste - and will deal with whatever results I get from the doctor - when it comes.
Thanks again everyone
Hey everyone one, Just thought I should update.
If any one of you have or had my symptoms you should see your doctor. I learned that I have pcos a.k.a Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome it's not to bad but it has lost of down falls.
See your doctor and don't wait!!!! Make sure you are all right don't be scared to go.
Take care.
ok, so my mother has been having problems like this with her recent period. She started a week early (not normal for her) and she has been having clots big enough to push out her tampons. That whole side of my family has girl problems like my grandmother died of ovarian cancer, all of my aunts have moderate to severe dysplasia, and so does my sister. One of my aunts had to have a complete hysterectomy. My mother can't afford to go to the doctor right now, so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions. She is 44 years old. (maybe a little too early to be going into menopause?)
Hi well I hope my advice will help your mom,
I would suggest that she start drinking three to four cups of raspberry tea everyday and have a bit of dark chocolate some people may not like it but believe me it helps a lot. But it needs to be strong like 60% or more. Oh and here is a tip not many people know you might not believe me but make sure you get plenty of vitamin C it will keep cancer away I promise.Depending on on age and weight an adult should take 1500 to 2000 mg a day but if cancer is in the family boost it up to 3000 to 3500 a day. I hope this helps and if you want to know anything else or more advice feel free to ask it's free and there is no waiting room! take care good luck.
I am 41 years old, I have a very heavy period with huge blood clotting and my period is on all of the time or so it seem and sometimes I have cramps out of this world. Do anyone have this problem? Give me some feed back please.
Reading everyone's comments on the subject has eased my mind a little. I am 35 years old. I have had one child and one abortion. Which I am not proud of. I have never had blood clots until the abortion. I don't know if this might be the results of that. I also have been trying to conceive, but nothing. I have been trying for a little over a year. No luck. My question is could the blood clots be the results of the abortion or could it be from the birth control pills. Which I no longer take because of the side effects are blood clots. So now I am no longer on the pill the blood clots still continue to come. Is this normal?
Hi:

Wow reading your comments I am floored at how many women of all ages have bleeding problems. I am 40 and about 2 years ago began to have extremely heavy periods with clotting including long duration. Prior to this I never had major problems my entier life. Anyway, i went to the gyn and had a uterine ultrasound and a video exploration of my uterus. I have fibroids (I also have had breast fibroids as well) and they feed on excess estrogen that your body produces. Anyway, I have had horrible bleeding problems to the point of bleeding all over myself in a business meeting--I got up to leave and a ton of blood and clots came out on the way to the loo. Let me tell that was rough! Good googa mooga. Anyway, my choices for fixing the problem ranged from a d&c that I understood could make me infertile to the pill. My bf and I do not use the pill as bc--I don't want my period to stop, just be normal. Anyway, I went to a homeopathic dr and got progesterone tablets. They seem to help counteract the excessive estrogen but I still have irregular periods and this month my period hasn't really stopped but I attribute it to the stress I am under--layoff, seeking a job, trying to sell a house, relocating to another state. I tend to agree with the lady who said your body can regulate itself and recommend that you carefully consider the options your dr. gives you.

-Heather
Well, here goes. I am 24.  I have never had any children or been pregnant (that I know of).  I have had irregular periods since I had started my period.  Sometimes months without bleeding, sometimes really heavy bleeding.  I started getting clots about 3 years ago and they started small.  Now they are starting to get bigger.  My most recent period (which I am still currently on) has been going for about 2 months.  I started spotting at first, then started heavily bleeding.  Passing clots 10+ times a day that are about the size of a walnut or bigger.  Some as big as my fist.  I've been feeling really weak.  I've had a fever during the night a few times in the past two months.  I'm getting really excessive heartburn.  Also, my legs and feet are a little swollen.  However.... I really don't think I could be pregnant with the bleeding going on and I've taken a pregnancy test about a month ago, it was negative.  I about fainted the other day.  I am worried and I am in no position to go to the doc as I have no job or insurance.  Therefore I don't have money to even pay a clinic.  I don't have anyone whom can lend me the money.  I really don't know what I'm asking here, is there any advice on how to deal with this? What it could be?
Well I've been bleeding for 1 1/2 years. Yes I said I've been bleeding for a year and a half. I recently had to be hospitalized because of massive blood lost which required them to have to give me 5 pints of blood. This is not light bleeding this is using a overnight pack of Always in 4 days. I'm bleeding that heavy. I have no insurence so all the ER doctors do is prescribe Provera ( which I have been taken for 8 months now) which doesn't work and I've tried birth control pills for 2 months and that still didn't work. Both treatment didn't even lighten the bleeding. I'm severly anemic. So what can I do. I don't qualify for government assistant, my husband and I can't afford to pay a doctor because we have 5 kids to take care, so I'm stuck living a nightmare day after day. I feel really depressed, I don't leave the house because time I start to walk blood flows everywhere and every time I leave the house I mess up my clothes regardless how many times I change when I'm out. I really need help and I don't know what to do.

Sad in Georgia :(
I had the same problem, but to a lessor degree, a few years ago. I was involved in a 4 wheeler wreck and landed on my hip with the 4 wheeler on top of me. I went to the ER and had to use crutches for a few days but all the x rays turned out fine. However, I did not have my for over a year and a half. Before this a was regular and even started at the same time of day each month. I went to the doctor and he said that it was just shock. After the long absence of my monthly flow, I started again. Unfortunately, to make up for lost time, I was on my period for a straight 4 months with an extremely heavy flow. I became anemic at time and passed out from blood lose several times. I also tended to experience nausea and terrible cramping almost every day. Blood clots also became the norm. (10+ a day, the size of a golf ball and larger) After that 4 months of pure agony, my period started to come more frequently and for shorter periods of time. The doctors still assured me that this was normal. Call your doctor because your body could have experienced a shocked that you did not notice.
I'm 18 yrs old I missed my period for 2 months and im usually on time every month.
I am sexually active not taking any birth control at the moment eccept condoms.
Then in the middle of November I started a period very light brown-ish in Color.
A week later it had gotten darker and heavier than I've EVER had.
Big clots, no pain.
I've had it for 2 weeks, starting into the third.
I'm thinking about going to the doctors but not sure if this'll just roll over.
Anyone else have this problem?
Hi I am an 18 yr old female. I have really bad periods like cramps and all. I hunch over and curl in a ball and usually get sick.. vomiting or diarrhea. I recently had to go off my birth control for a month because  I am in college and forgot to get it the last time i came home. I have been on the birth control for like a yr now and at first it was helping but then i started having super heavy periods to the point i soak through to the insides of my pants. I knew it woul be bad this month since I cannot start it until the sunday after my period. Well it just started yesterday and when i went to pee, this dark liquid came out after but not in like the region you pee but like the part your period comes out. It was dark black and liquid. It came out so much that I had to force it to stop. I looked down and the whole toilet was covered in this dark blood. I always get a lot of clotting and it normally is bigger than a quarter but i always thought it was normal. Recently I have also begun cramping a week before, during my period, and a week and a half after i start my period. It's to the point I am just drained and have to skip school cause I can't do anything but lay there and be in pain. My mom is my only ride and has the number to the gyno but really won't take me so if anyone can help will you please???
Okay so back in 06 a i had a misscarrige and ever sence then my periods have been all messed up they would come for 3 months go away for 3 months and so on but no  I have had my period for about a year and 4 months now and it is normally pretty light every month or so it goes away for like two days but with in the last few days I have had these really bad blood clots like the size of golf balls to tennis balls and I just keep bleeding really heavy I cant go with out changing  my tampon for more then an hour....and its kinda freaking me out....HELP??
I had a baby in September 2008, C-Section. Everything was as expected until January 2009, when I started feeling like something was moving and tickling me along my bikini line. But my period continued to be normal up until May 2009. My stomach was rock hard as though I was pregnant, and I thought I was pregnant but after three negative pregnancy tests I knew I wasn't. However in Sepember 2009 my period started and I was relieved. But it hasn't really stopped since. And it's now January 2010. Massive Clots that look like slabs of meat. I use towels and tissue to pad the sides of my legs when I go out as excercise seems to aggravate the situation. My husband and I got intimate one night, when I was having a mild flow, and it stopped my flow for two full days, but now is back again. Scary and Disturbing.
Viewing 1-200 comments: