BO smell under arm

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

BO smell under arm

i keep getting a BO smell under my left armpit and cant seem to get rid of the smell no matter how many times i wash it keeps coming back!! does anyone else have this or know what it could be? does anyone know how to get rid of it please help as im really embarressed!!!

thank you
It could be yeast. You could ask your doctor to do a skin culture to be sure. Or you can purchase a cream like monostat and use it there just to see if it helps. If it is yeast, your doctor can prescribe diflucan or another anti-yeast(fungal) pill that may be of help.
you said its just under one under arm? you must have more sweat glands there or something. there are a number of factors as to why the excessive sweating/odor. for ex: menopause, hyperthyroidism, obesity even spicey foods to name a few. this can happen reguardless of what the temperature is or emotions/stressful situation. you didnt mention using any deoderant or what kind you do use but try switching to a different brand. you may even want to try a mens deoderant since its much stronger. you may have to apply it 2-3 times a day. talk with your dr. about it if deoderant isnt working. could be an indication of something else as mentioned above.
Hey--I don't understand exactly why, probably has to do with hormone changes, but about 1 1/2 years ago, my deodorant all of the sudden stopped working.  I had been using it for several years with great results.  I had to completely change to a different brand...maybe you should try it, like kjsk said.  As far as it just being under one arm??? I'm not sure about that, girl, but good luck anyway.  MH
You might want to try an anti-perspirant instead of just a deoderant.  The anti-perspirant stops the sweat from being excreted through the sweat gland for the most part and is more effective at eliminating odor causing bacteria than just a regular deoderant.  What are you using now?
I had a Breast reduction 3 years ago and last year had server itching in and around my right nipple, then this year ive suddenly started getting wet patches under the right arm only and was wondering if I should go to the doctors. Iam always left feeling like im wasting my time and theirs when I go 'hence why I hav'nt jet been.
Hey, I know exactly what you are talking about. I never used to really sweat, and when I did the smell wasn't noticeable in really any regard, it was a light scent. I also rarely used deodorant. Then I purchased Tom's Natural and used it for about 6 weeks, then I developed an awful scent in just the left armpit. I've stopped using it for two months, and the smell still wont go away. My right underarm smells perfectly fine, but the left I just can't even explain ...
I've used Tom's natural deoderant for some time now and have noticed my left armpit has  a much stronger smell than the right. I stopped using it but still the odor persists!  Any suggestions?
I am a 35-year-old woman.

I stopped wearing antiperspirant about five or six years ago. At first the smell was pretty bad, but then it got better, to the point that I could even skip deodorant altogether without it being a big deal. (I attributed the initial bad BO to my body expelling a lot of junk that had been clogged in my pores from years of antiperspirant use.)

Then about two month ago, I woke up to an AWFUL smell under my left arm only. I tried soaps, scrubs, shirts, swimming in a chlorinated pool... anything I cold think of, but it would not go away for longer than a couple of hours. Yesterday, as a last resort before returning to antiperspirant use, I used a cotton ball to apply rubbing alcohol under both arms before deodorant (Thai Crystal deodorant mist). It worked. I took a shower last night, but I have not applied any deodorant since yesterday morning.

My smell is back to normal!
I have the same problem.with that left arm pit. But I don't sweat alot for this to happen,I can just step ouy of the shower without using any deoderants and about 1/12 or 2 hours ,my left armpit smells funky ,but the right armpit has no scent at all. What I've done is try the higher priced deoderants 10.00 -11.00 and that helped.I first tried the mens deoderants but nothing changed with the smell of my left armpit/ So I hope that this will help you,too.  

Good luck
Ive tried the alcohol, witch hazel & also hydrogen peroxide in water - nothing helps.  It even has the odor after washing it with antibacterial soap.  I thought maybe I might have some clogged pores or something as I really don't perspire much.
Throw out all your used deodorants. Wash armpits with vinegar and dawn dish soap. Equal portions. After drying thoroughly and (I mean thoroughly) use a small dab of coconut oil as your deodorant. I use solid oil not liquid. Rub it in good and not to heavy to stain your shirts. Do this until you no longer smell. If you want to go back to a deodorant go ahead but just deodorant not an antiperspirant. You're supposed to perspire. Wash again with the vinegar and dawn at night before bed. Takes about two weeks. I ise LuAnnas coconut oil. Meijer, 7 bucks in the oils section.
Wow !  Me too! I am 51 yrs old and have never smelled under my arms even when I sweat. Suddenly, yesterday I was shocked to smell it under my left arm only! Thanks for the responses everyone. I have been sick with a cold.... who knows... hopefully it will go away on its own.
Wow..... thanks for the info!   I read all the testimonials that people have written who have had this strange phenomenon and on the left arm pit only... as well,  I can say that I too have had this strange thing happen to me.  I am going to try the vinegar and dish-washing liquid with the coconut oil.  Anything is worth the try at this point!!
specialmom Yeah!! Summer break is here... Comment
Des_a_rae commented on AF you evil witch!
KTowne commented on veronica0808's status
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals