BV that just won't go away

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

BV that just won't go away

Sorry about the last message - I hit submit too soon.

Anyway, it seems like I've posted about this a hundred times before. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to.

I have a constant problem with BV. I've now taken a course of Metronidazole twice. Both times it made me feel very ill, despite avoiding alcohol. I don't want to take it again, so I need some advice on other ideas.

I've tried inserting a tampon coated in natural yoghurt. This didn't clear up the infection, but maybe I should have done it for a longer period of time? Has anyone else tried this method with success? Would simply eating natural yoghurt on a daily basis do any good?

I've also read about the gel you can get. Does anyone know if you can get this without prescription? I really don't feel like going back to my Doctor again. I'm from England, so I'd like to know if I can get anything over the counter?

I appreciate all the advice I've been given here previously, and hope someone can help me again. I know that if you have sex without your partner being treated, BV can come back. I'm not having sex with anyone, but do have a "friend" with whom I engage in foreplay with - is this likely to transfer the infection even though he doesn't actually penetrate me?

Thanks for all your help, and sorry if I'm starting to sound like a broken record.

what'a BV? a yeast infection? from what you said that's what it sound's like.
if it is. eating yogurt everyday will help
Honey, BV is a bacterial infection and won't go away with home remedies.  It can give you pelvic inflammatory disease, which can make you sterile.  Please go back to your doctor or a different one, and be sure that is what you have, and then ask for a different antibiotic if that is possible.  You don't want to be ignoring something that can have such serious consequences.  Good luck!
BV is bacterial vaginosis (SP) Yeast infection.

without going to the dr the only thing you can do is take the over the counter creams.  There is a pill you can get from your dr called diflucan.  you can take it along with the cream and it should clear it up.  Have you had a pap lately if not you might want to think about doing so.  

Did a dr diagnose you with BV, because if it is this hard to get rid of your infection and you are having foreplay it may not be BV but an std.
anniebrook gave you some great advice, I didn't even think about pelvic inflammatory disease.  You do need to go to the dr asap.
Thanks for everyones feedback.

I was tested for STDs, and had a smear when I was originally diagnised with the BV. They all came back clear, so I know that's not the issue.

I've also read about the danger of PID, and this does worry me. That being said, a lot of sites say that if the symptoms don't worry you, then it's not always necessary to get treated.

Medicine for BV can only be obtained with a prescription.  I have taken flagyl which works only if you take right 2x a day and if I didn't eat with it it made nauseous.  Other then that I have taken metrogel inserted at night for 5 days.  And something with a C inserted for 3 days..I want to say Clindamycin.  I liked that the best.
Also, I found that perscription meds only worked temporarily but what finally seemed to work for me was the yogurt tampon you described and bathing with a cupful of cider vinegar in my bathwater. I also stopped using my shower poof thing because they are loaded with bacteria and I only clean my vagina with Cetaphil because it is so gentle and irritant free.
Yes, you can get a pelvic infection with BV, but it is not likely. You definitely need to go to a doctor, but I don't want you to freak out really bad. Many women have BV that just won't go away (I did until recently) and the stress of possibly becoming infertile does not help matters any. I asked my doctor about this who specializes in women's health and she told me that while BV can cause PID this is usually if a woman had BV before a gynecological procedure such as laparoscopy, d&c, abortion, etc. but 90% of cases are caused by chlamydia or gonorrhea.
I had recurrent bouts with BV and Clindamycin seemed to do the trick for me.  The one-time dose was expensive but worked. Also, be careful of thongs.  Only wear them when necessary.
HEY I WAS READING WHAT YOU SAID ,WHY SHOULD YOU BE CAREFUL OF THONGS? WHAT HARM WOULD THEY DO?
Thongs can sometimes rub bacteria from your anus into your vagina, thus causing bacterial vaginitis or a urinary tract infection.

As for the BV, you must get antibiotics. Usually your doctor will want to do a culture, to see what specific bacteria you have an overgrowth of, and thus choose an appropriate type of antibiotic. I too suffered from recurrant BV..and I didn't have PID. I was battling pH imbalance...getting treated for yeast, which in turn gave me BV, then antibiotics, which gave me yeast. The cycle went on forever.

Here's what you need to do. Go to your doctor, where they will probably give you antibiotics. Ask your doctor what you can do, if anything to stop the recurrance. Boric acid can be obtained at the pharmacy over the counter in suppositories. This can help to correct an imbalance, but you should talk to your doctor FIRST and foremost before you try this. Another thing is that you shouldn't excessively clean your vagina. The vagina is self cleaning, and when you try to clean it excessively you can mess up your balance. Best wishes!
bv is not a yeast infection and most docters will either tell you it will go waya on its own or give you an antibiotic.  But you should try pearls xb it is a probiotic.  You can find it in the vitimen shop.  you shouldnt give advice to someone when you dont know what you are talking about