Bacterial Vaginosis AND Yeast Infection (Does RePhresh help?)

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

The title alone should scare you enough...

In early December I started having sex with a new partner, unprotected (stupid I know, but that's not why I'm here). Well long story short, after the first time we had sex I got a yeast infection. I figured it was because I wasn't adequately lubricated. My OB/GYN prescribed me with Diflucan, I took the dosage and it was gone. We had sex again, yeast infection came back, got another prescription, gone again. Had sex again, it came back AGAIN but this time I went to a different OB/GYN to get a second opinion. Turns out this time I had a yeast infection AND bacterial vaginosis. At this time I went and got tested to make sure I didn't have anything and I came back all negative. :)  I was prescribed an antibiotic for a week. But my primary OB/GYN gave me a few refills on my Diflucan so assuming I could just save a few bucks on getting a new prescription I just bought the antibiotic from the new doctor. I finished the antibiotics to get rid of the BV, but for some reason I wasnt able to get the Diflucan from my pharmacy. But most of my symptoms were gone so silly me, I assumed I was completely cured of both. Had sex again, and you guessed it, BV and the yeast infection came back. This time I took both the antibiotics for a week and 3 weeks worth of Diflucan to hopefully get rid of everything. I know that antibiotics usually kill all bacteria, both good and bad which could be reason why my yeast infections and BV keep coming back. I got smart and realized that the partner I was sleeping with probably kept passing the infection back to me. I suggested we start using protection and men being men, he wasn't too fond of that idea. So needless to say, I had to cut him off. I cant afford to keep going to the doctor over and over again. Plus, taking those antibiotics are disgusting!

However, recently I began hearing about Rephresh pro-B and RePhresh Vaginal Gel. I've heard that the Pro-B especially works wonders for women that have had recurring BV. The pro-B is supposed to be a probiotic that keeps good bacteria in the vagina and maintains vaginal health and the gel is supposed to regulate the pH to keep out infection and fungi. Can anyone attest to these claims? Has anyone with BV or even a situation similar to mine tried these products and had positive result?

Within the past week, I began seeing an old flame and we ended up sleeping together. Immediately afterward I used some of the Rephresh gel. Luckily I got no BV symptoms, however I noticed some discharge. The discharge looked similar to a yeast infection. I read reviews that said that the discharge from the Rephresh gel may resemble a yeast infection, but that it in fact is not an infection, its just the gel discharge. Can anyone who has used RepHresh gel attest to this also? Is this another yeast infection or is it just the gel discharge? By now I know what a yeast infection looks/feels like but I just want to be sure...

Sorry this was so long, all answers are appreciated. :)
I have had bv. It went away after taking the meds. I got it from my partner not being clean before we had intercourse..... I have been with him for three years now. And have a baby together.   But when we first started going out we would sleep together day and night.... He wouldn't  wash up with water & soap after! Untill the night or morning! NOW I MAKE HIM! Good luck with everything. & as a friend make your partner use protection k. ( :
I take probiotics but not any gel! I eat them for my digestive health.for a month now!
Avatar n tn
Thanks for the advice! I figured that might be an issue also. After we had sex he usually wouldnt shower and there was usually a high chance that we'd go at it again.

But my new partner is really adamant about showering after sex, like RIGHT after. So, hopefully all of this will go away. It's just so annoying to have been on meds for the same thing for THREE months. Hopefully it will all go away soon. :)
KTowne commented on renae176's status
34 mins ago
KTowne commented on Hollus's status
35 mins ago
Shannon79 commented on photo
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals