Bacterial Vaginosis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Bacterial Vaginosis?

I have noticed vaginal discomfort lately, which I am almost positive is not an STD. It all started at the end of January, when I had a UTI. I was treated for it with Ciprofloxacin that made me very sick, and after I finished it I still felt like I had a slightly full bladder, so I went back and was put on Amoxicylin. I felt no change, but I only had mild discomfort so I never went back to the doctor, until I was paranoid it was an STD. I got tested for everything under the sun, all of which came back negative (I have only ever had one sexual partner and we have always used condoms). Ever since February, I still had that feeling of a full bladder but it comes and goes; is usually very bad when I'm ovulating (in the 2nd week of my birth control pills). It's not painful, just uncomfortable. Then about 2-3 weeks ago I noticed a very slight burning sensation in my urethra, which also affected the opening to my vagina. Some days it was pretty bad, others I could barely notice it (it would always get better if I chugged a bunch of water). It has never been exactly painful, just mild-medium burning depending on how much water I had drank in the day. I know that you can sometimes get burning if you are dehydrated because of the acidity of urine, but I always drink the right amount of water and have NEVER had this before.

This problem has been bothering me to the point where I have become VERY stressed, even lately thinking it was herpes (though I have never had any open sores/rashes/etc). This in turn has caused me to feel around down there for long periods of time, 3-4 times a day because I have been so paranoid. When I was inspecting down there today, I noticed the skin around my vaginal opening was inflamed and swelling, not necessarily causing pain but mild burning, and I have also noticed a change in the smell of my vagina. I have ruled out any STDs or herpes, but not knowing what I have is so distressing. I think part of the problem is touching too much down there in fear, irritating the sensitive skin, and it may also be the soap I'm using (it always burns when it touches the vaginal opening). I have been doing ALOT of research on the internet about different vaginal infections.

So my main questions are:
1) Does this sound like bacterial vaginosis? (That's what I'm leaning towards)
2) Could anyone suggest any other vaginal infection that this could be?

Thank you for your time, I have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday but I just can't wait until then
I have had very similiar symptoms and I also have bacterial vaginosis. I have taken two prescriptions for it but it keeps coming back. When mine first started I thought it was an UTI and was treated for one two times. Later went to gyn when things didn't get any better and was put on metroindazole. Anyways it is best to go to the gyn and tell them you think it is bacterial vaginosis. It is a simple test to find out, but you think they would have checked when you were tested for the STDs
Thank you so much for replying, this really lets me know that I'm not alone! Well I actually live in Canada, you don't go to a gyno or specialist unless it's something REALLY serious, usually your family doctor can figure things out. The the thing was, when I got tested for STDs I only had the fullish bladder thing, which honestly I think is psychological and I told my doctor that at the time. I went in there just to get tested, not to discuss anything else...at the time she also took a swab to make sure there was no yeast and at the time there wasn't (I know this is different with BV though)... I'm hoping that this is all it is, but thanks for your thoughts of reassurance!
I have also noticed that my symptoms have gotten worse over a day or so...The area where my outer labia and vulva meet are irritated in that they are slightly itchy and sting..The burning has continued around the vaginal opening and the urethra. Where I noticed the inflammation yesterday around the vaginal opening is actually called the Bartholin glands, and while they are not swelling they are red and what's burning. It's weird because when I look in the mirror, everything else looks normal, even the skin around the outer labia that's itchy. Does this happen with bacterial vaginosis? I have no discharge, and there's only a mild smell