Bad smelling pee

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Bad smelling pee

About 2 years ago  I started realizing that my pee really has a bad smell, at first it was few and far between but as time went on it began to be more persistat.
I will just give you the facts

the smell is....  it smells like rotten eggs mixed with an outhouse ( rotten pee im guessing)  and amonia (ammonia)
it is very very strong, I cant even go to the bathroom at other ppls house or at my own house when ppl are over because the smells so ba it wafts out of the bathroom

its so strong thatit almost takes your breath away

Im 24 years old, Im 5'2 145 lbs ( just to tell you that im not teribley overwheight just at lil)  i have aszthma and i do have some alergies (allergies) to foods ( fruits mostly) and airborn alergies (allergies) really bad. i dont take anytype of regular medication. in alergy (allergy) season i take tylonal alergy (allergy) sinus but the pee smell isnt any better or worse when im on that .

i live in a smaller city so not to much polution
i dont get alot of exersize i eat 50/50
meaning i eat alot of good foods and alot of bad,
i dont smoke, or do drugs and i vary vary rarley drink , and when i do its usualy only one or 2,

i drink alot of diet pops and juices and used suger substitute in my tea but i have been doing that long b4 the smell started

sometimes if i drink lots and lots of water the first time i pee after it will smell better ( not good but not as strong to take your breath away ) but the time after that its back to real bad

it also seems like the longer i hold my pee ( like if im at work or somethn and cant go right away ) it smells even worse

i thought maybe i had a vitamine deficiancy so i strated taking malti vitamins but that didnt help  so now i dont know what to do ,.. or think , and i asked the dr about it and she said it dosnt sound like anything if there was a real problem there would be pain or blood,

( theres no pain, no burning or swolen feeling and no blood )
but i do tend to get alot of yeast infections , i use mild gliceryn soap
some of the yeast infections are mild and i dont treat them they go away in about a day. others i have to treat
im not sure of those can be related

i thnk thats all the facts. if theres anything i left out please ask :)
thnk you for your time!

This discussion is related to bad smelling urine.
on also , im not on birth controle, and i have never had a child although i have been pregnent about a year and a bit ago ,
The only time I've known pee to smell strong or have a bad odor is if you're dehydrated. Could you perhaps be dehydrated? You mention a lot of soda, etc. Do you drink plenty of water? Honestly, that's the only thing I can think of. Sorry I can't help much!
Hope you get your questions answered soon!
I've had this problem before, shy about public bathrooms because of an ordor. My gyno said its because I don't drink enough water to flush it out of my system, holding it makes it worse. Part of me says yes thats the answer and part doesn't. I haven't myself figured this out.
I had exactly e same prob. Likewise I sought many dr n specialist help but all could by tell me wat was wrg. Until I gt pregnant n delivered my baby den this prob suddenly disappeared. I gave birth one yr ago tim now it nv resurfaced . But I still get slot of yeast infections almost once every one to two months. If u ever do find out e cause, pls share with me!
I have had this problem now as well - on and off.  I am 42 years old - have one child, am a vegetarian my entire life, drink coffee, exercise average but I am pretty fit, drink lots of water, and take vitamins.  I think the problem may be hormone related - I don't take any birth control or anything - but I notice it always goes away when I get my period.  Then I didn't have the problem for several months - then it returned - very strange - and embarrassing.  I am kind of worried about this thing where you have an abcess (abscess) in your rectum and it leaks into your bladder or something - maybe I did too much research.  Just really ***** and I don't want to go have a million tests - which I will have to pay for - to find out it's nothing...
I also find it happening to me...but it appears to be related to my eating habits...when I go on a "good" diet nothing...then after a while like everyone else I deviate from my eating habits and usually binge with some carbs or sugary stuff...and then my pee really starts to smell....it does not happen all the time...only when I binge...and particularly after being some time really good in what I eat...in other words...no junk...maybe it has something to do with yeast growth...or sugar imbalance or hormonal due to sugar intake....hmmm off to a endocrine specialist....
I can't say this will apply to everyone, but it may clear up some of the confusion for others. I too had sulphur smelling urine which started around the time I was suffereing from a post viral infection. I thought it had something to do with that, but when I recovered the sulphur smell continued.

I trawled the forums for answers but in the end decided to go to the doctors. I did a urine test and the section indicating nitrites went a lovely bright pink. Nitrites are an indication of bacteria. It is their waste product and it is this that causes the sulphur smell.

The presence of nitrites could be an indication of an infection, although being a male, it was highly unlikely. So the doctor sent the urine sample off to be tested. She also gave me the option of taking a short coures of antibiotics (3 a day for 3 days) whilst thetest was being done, which I decided to take. Bingo! Smell stopped.

BUT.... the test results came back showing no infection. I consulted another doctor in the same practice who told me that there can be a build up of bacteria in the bladder if one doesn't drink enough water. Also a lack of excercise can be a contributing factor. This would account for the smell starting when I was stuck in bed for weeks with the PVI.

So to conclude, bacteria in the bladder produce smelly nitrites. You do not have to have an infection to get this. If your doctor tests your urine but says it's all fine, ask if you can take the antibiotics anyway. I can't promise that this will work for all of you but it definately killed of the non-infection bacteria for me. However, be advised that following the anti-biotics, you must start drinking more water and start excercising.

I hope you found this helpful.
Read up on cystitis. This could be causing your yeast infections and bad urine smell. It could be the things you are eating that are causing your urine to smell bad and possibly be acidic causing vaginal irritation. What helped the most for me, I eliminated spicy foods and that helped the smell and the vaginal irritation that I thought were yeast infections - as I was treating them just like you. Also watch the vitamins, artificial sweeteners, and caffeinated drinks. Too much of anything seems to be bad. Except for water - drink lots of water.