Basal Body Temperature

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Basal Body Temperature

Just over 6 months ago, we decided to take a break from ttc after a year and a half of trying. My doctor insisted that I try temping to help us determine my ovulation timing. I never tried it before, because I always thought that it was pointless, because you see when you O after it has already happened and therefore is too late. I figured I would give it a try, and started learning as much as I could about Basal Body temperatures. I did it for one month so far, and one thing I noticed was that normal body temperature is supposed be around 37 (C) (I'm Canadian) or 97 (F) and rise close to 38 (C) or 98(F) once you have ovulated and maintain that high temperature until your menstrual cycle begins and lowers again. Well, I did go up like I should, but one thing was very noticeable was that my temps were very low to start and only rose slightly.  My lowest temp, was 36.10 (C) and my highest was only 36.77 (C) just before it dropped. From what I read this low temperature indicated an under active thyroid condition, which can also result in fertility problems. It makes sense, since I have many of the symptoms but never thought much about them before. Does this sound right, and should I be concerned and get my thyroid tested or should I continue temping to see if it changes for a few months. I am 35, and we have been trying for our second child for almost 2 years now, with no luck. Our first is 6 1/2 yrs old and time is really not on our side. Any info or advice about tempting you might have will be a huge help.
What you've said is correct about basal body temp.  Years ago that's how they used to diagnose hypothyroidism.

By all means go to your doctor and get a blood test.  He'll want to test your TSH levels and maybe your T3 and T4 levels too (all thyroid hormones).  There is a chance that your levels may fit into normal from the testing ranges but it may not be normal for you.

You may want to read some thyroid information witten by Sandra Cabot (ie your thyroid problems solved) or Mary J Shomon.  These authors talk about the different thyroid issues and what can cause them ie iodine deficiency.  They also have some suggestions on diet to help with thyroid conditions if they are mild ie wheat/gluten free + other suggestions.
Belle313, and KTowne commented on Belle313's status
1 hr ago
mkh9 uploaded new photos
AppleBr commented on Jade59's status
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals