Belly Button discharge/blood while on antibiotics?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I went to the doctors yesterday because i was having pain around my belly button. The skin was red and inflamed and it hurt terribly to bend over/get up out of a sitting/laying position. He told me i had a belly button infection and put me on some antibiotics. Granted i just started taking them yesterday, nothing pain wise had really changed up until about 20 minutes ago. I looked down and i noticed this dark colored discharge was oozing out, and almost immediately i felt relief from the pain i had. I went to the bathroom to clean it up when i started to bleed out of my belly button as well. Quite a bit. It stopped not long after and i now currently almost have no pain at all. Still a little tender, but maybe like 10% of what it was. Is this normal? I mean i can understand the dischrage, i assumed right away it was the antibiotics working, but the blood? I would probably be more concerned if the bleeding hadn't stopped or was painful but i feel almost completely better now? Advice would be wonderful, i know going to the doctor is really the only solution but if anyone else has had this happen and can save me a trip, that would be wonderful.
HELLO, I AM CURIOUS TO KNOW, HAD YOU HURT YOUR BELLYBUTTON IN SOME WAY BEFORE IT BECAME INFECTED? IT NOT WHAT DID THE DOCTOR SAY WAS THE CAUSE OF THE INFECTION,? I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF AN INFECTION THERE. NOW THAT IT OPEND UP AND HAS NOW STOPPED, I THINK THE ANTIBIOTICS REALLY WORKED, BUT PLEASE DO KEEP AN EYE ON IT IN THE FOLLOWING DAYS. DO YOU HAVE ANOTHER DOCTORS APPT.FOR A RE-CHECK? IF SO, MAKE SURE YOU KEEP IT! GOOD LUCK ON A SPEEDY RECOVERY"
Some people have a condition with their umbilicus where fluid was trapped in there during the initial healing process in infancy.  It can cause problems later on, and you may need to have this cleaned out with a little procedure.  
I can't tell you whether to go to the doctor or not.  This is a decision you must make.  But I will tell you what I think might have happened to your belly button.  A cyst/pimple/boil will have similar discharge, and feel better after discharge as well.  Cysts, pimples, and boils will heal on their own if kept drained, clean and uninfected (the reason for antibiotics).  I hope this helps you to decide if another doc appt is needed or not... keep in mind that I could be totally wrong in my guesses here.  Blessings - Blu
Hi everyone, thank you for your responses. I went to the hospital and the doctor told me he believes i had some sort of abscess that burst and drained on its own. I had to have an ultrasound to make sure there wasn't a second one or any other type of cyst/lump. Thankfully i didn't. I was advised to stay on my antibiotics and basically just hope it clears up. If it doesn't, i am to go back for further testing. So far so good, i have nearly no pain and the drainage has stopped. Couple more days of antibiotics and then i will be going back for a checkup. Again, thank you for trying to help ease the anxiety i was having. Truly the only answer is to speak with a doctor as every situation is different.