Best soap for down there..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Best soap for down there..

What is the best soap to use on your vaginal area? My gyno said that Ivory soap that BURNS soooo bad!!! I have tried vaginsal(sp?) summers eve wash and they irriate it to. I heard some off the wall crud at work that you should use only water.. WHAT? One lady she said she uses dawn dish soap, that is harsh even thinkiing about it!! I think she is full of shhh.  What do you use and what you think I can use:? Doctor did say that I should put hydocortozone cream. I am so worried to use that down there. Thank you for listening to me..
Sorry, Love, I just use water. Not too hot, and fingers only - no cloth meets my labia! Actually, I think the dissolved soap, shampoo, and conditioner running down your body is enough to clean. You mentioned burning, but do you have itching too? I only surmised because that would be a reason for recommendation of H/C creme. I have used that before, but I would be reluctant to use it longer than necessary. I only seem to get itchy down there when I try to deal with my fairly noticeable vaginal odour - pantiliners, powders, baby lotion or oils, fem hygiene sprays, etc...

I use none of these now, and have had little incidence of irritation for quite a good stretch of time! knock on wood! Make sure you don't have some flavour of infection (BV / yeast come to mind).
I've heard of using a mild shampoo.  The main thing is not to rub the soap itself into the hairs or onto the skin there, but to just put lather on your hands and rub with them.  Otherwise it is hard to rinse off, and then you do get soap irritation.  Aveno also makes some wonderful fragrance-free body washes, and so does Aquaphor (look in the baby-wash section for it).
Thank you to all. I am kinda on the chubby side so the soap can't trickle down there.. *blushing* but I will try to baby shampoo.. And the Hydrocrodozone cream. thank you both.