Birth control, Does the merina work?
I'm a 23 old mother of two. I just had my second daughter about four months ago. I recieved the Mirena IUD, Does it really work? How do I know if it is out of place? They say to feel for the string and I have but I do not feel anything. Can you please help.
I am 41 and I am done having kids. My husband already had a vasectomy, so I got the Mirena to help ease my very heavy periods. It's only been a few weeks and so far I am not happy with it. From the moment it was put in, I have had constant cramping and can already notice mood swings in the past week, along with little to no patience towards my loved ones. I already have alot of bloating in my lower abs. Before reading all of these posts I told a friend "I feel like I'm two months pregnant!" I have also have constant spotting and can't go without a pantiliner. Two of my girlfriends with the same situation(done having kids & hubby fixed) that talked me into getting it seem to have no complaints.One said she spotted for 3 months to the date and had cramps in her legs. She said her Dr. told her to take a multi-vitamin and eat a banana daily for Potassium. She said after a week or so of that, cramps went away. Overall, everyone's body is different. I will give this 3-4 months and if things aren't better I'm getting it out and looking into other procedures to reduce the super heavy periods. As far as a few of you mentioning not having insurance, call your Dr. or a Woman Care and ask what the $$ would be to have it removed. I would think it would be the same as an examine. Or go in and tell them you want the pill, which they have to give you and exam and ask for it to be removed then. Also, when I asked my Dr. if it could come out easy and she said only one patient came in to get another Mirena put in because she thought she left a tampon in from the day before and pulled the string...out it came. I have no idea if that could do damage...maybe a Dr. could tell you. Good Luck all and trust your body signals!
I ve had the iud one year now. 3 months ago I started my period, ITS STILL GOING!!!!! I went to the Dr. he said everything looked normal. This was just a side effect.  Anyone else investing stock with tampax???
Wow, I had no idea there were so many possible side effects to the Mirena.  I had my second Mirena inserted just about 2 years ago and in the 7 years I've used Mirena now and I have absolutely loved it.  No side effects, no periods and no PMS have all been such a blessing to me.  I love it and can't imagine using any other BC.  My periods used to be so heavy and painful I would miss work and after experiencing multiple side effects with the pill the Mirena has been a life saver for me.  
Hi there i had my merina put in about 7 weeks ago i love that my period has stopped except alittle spotting here and there my question is i have lost mysexdrive and my breast are tender has anyone else experience that and if so how did u take care of it. I went for my 6 week check up and the doctor said everthing is good.
I had the Mirena put in March of 07.   I had discomfort when it was put in, no worse than a regular pap.  I spoted regularly for 6 months or so.  That was very aggervating.  Since then I rarely haver a period and if I do, they are very very light.  I do plan to have it removed soon only because I want to start trying for a second child.  If I am blessed with a second child after the birth I will def. have the Mirena re inserted.  I love it and so does my husband.  I am thankful for no side affects!
I had Mirena inserted this passed Tuesday....I had read all the posts on this site and another..needless to say I was concerned and talked to my Doc befor the proceedure. I was so nervous I was expecting so much pain...It never came....I have had 3 children with none of them did I get any pain killers..it was painfull all three times...this felt no differant than an extra long PAP. I have a little spotting but my Doc says that is normal because the Mirena thins out your cervix. Very little cramping almost not even worth mentioning. I hope the comments on this page don't deture any one from getting the Mirena IUD....everyone is differant and any concerns need to be discused with your doctor...he/she will be honest with you...my doctor was more than happy to talk to me about all my concerns and even asked if I wanted to take more time to think about it...Now I just cant wait till the day of no menstral cycle...that will be great....not to mention the fact that neither my husband or I needed to go in for surgery. I am pleased...
getting pregnant or having HORRIBLE side effects while using mirena is VERY freaking common. i have searched MANY web forums about women being on mirena or were using it. MOST women have major health issues caused by Mirena. if at all possible try a different birth control. use the SHOT. id rather gain 5 pounds rather than gaining 30 lbs and another baby! or worse...becoming pregnant and having a miscarriage. or becoming infertile. you pick.

i have had mirena close to a YEAR and my periods late by 5 days. (i never miss one.ever. not even on any other BC) and that dumb doctor of mine said she couldnt find my mirena. (hate her) and im all sicky and terrible pregnancy side effects have started. if im pregnant im going to be one very upset woman!
I've had Mirena in for a year now and I am 22 years old. Before Mirena I had a large sex drive; afterwards I went to having absolutely no libido. Shortly after I started bloating out and putting on weight. It has gotten to the point where I'm bloated for all except maybe 2-3 days out of the month and my belly is usually extended. I get nausious often, my acid reflux came back because of the bloating, I get migranes, and I keep getting a lot of pregnancy symptoms for about one week out of each month (I'm assuming this would be when I would be having a period; I have only had one period since having Mirena inserted). I've had violent mood swings for quite a while now and I'm tired of feeling so sick all the time. I have no energy for my son, and now I'm even experiencing shortness of breath when sitting down even, and my heart is starting to race when sitting down or laying down. I stumbled upon this post because I'm tired of feeling like I'm going out of my bind wondering about various pregnancy symptons that I have been getting every month. I had all ready figured that the lack of sex drive and leaking of colostrum were most likely from the birth control, but I had no idea that there were so many women out there that have been feeling like we after getting Mirena inserted; it was an immense relief to know that I'm not going crazy over my worrying about those symptons. After finding this, I decided to research Mirena a bit further in order to decide whether I should keep it in or not. I found these side effects listed: # migraine, focal migraine with asymmetrical visual loss or other symptoms indicating transient cerebral ischemia
# exceptionally severe headache
# jaundice
# marked increase of blood pressure
# severe arterial disease such as stroke or myocardial infarction, sespis, ovarian cysts, breast cancer, Abdominal/pelvic pain

Vaginal discharge

Nausea

Headache

Nervousness

Vulvovaginitis

Dysmenorrhea

Back pain

Weight increase

Breast pain/tenderness

Acne

Decreased libido

Depressed mood

Cervicitis/Papanicolaou smear normal, class II

Hypertension, migraine, vomiting, anemia, dyspareunia, alopecia, eczema, pruritis, rash, urticaria, abdominal distension, altered mood, hirsutism, edema.

I've decided that for me personally, the side effects are not worth it. I did love the fact that Mirena took my periods away (a couple times I did have labor-like excruciating pain though), as I am one of those women who have long pains with excruciating cramps in my left thigh that radiate all over. It can be good for women who have bad period issues.

Someone made a comment about how young women should consider some other form of birth control as Mirena is too strong for our bodies, and I found that interesting. I did notice that those with the strongest complaints about Mirena were in their mid-twenties or younger.
Thanks for all the info.  Was doing research to make a decision on maybe getting Merina.  I am still not sure, but I liked all this info.  I do not have the options of any of the oral, patches or shots for birth control-- and I am pretty sure 2 kids is my limit--so this was an option to consider.  I was excited about not having to have surgery but all of this info does not sound so good to me!!!   To many side effects!!!
i had the mirena put in about a month ago and i haven't had any issues with it. my doctor informed me i'd be having spotting and the cramping occasionally for up to 6 months. i haven't lost my sex drive it's increased lol but no acne of any sort it actually cleared it up, no mood swings and the weight gain im in the military so we work out all the time but since i had my baby (6 months ago) and moving to a new section with new work schedual i havent had the time to work out like i use to so i picked up alil weight but as of right now i absolutely love the mirena. i don't have to worry remembering to take the pill which im horrible at. ive have never been on birth control due to the fact i taught it was unnatural (Religious resons) my baby is my blessing but bad timing and im doin it all alone but ive felt my strings after my 1st period for the 1st time but before then i couldnt so i couldnt i freaked but i have my 1st 6 week apointment check-up coming up but no complaints but ill keep you posted but frm ive heard nd what i been told i know ppl who has had the IUD in for yrs and LOVE it if its cutting you or your partner go get checked out and if your doc says its fine go else where because you really shouldnt feel it if you bad cramping or excessive amount of pain get checked out it may have been logde in your uterus everyone is different i was laughing giving birth and that was with out the drugs so when i was getting the IUD put in i felt nothing lol i jus cramped up the following day doing my job lifting over 75 lb boxes so it may not be for evryone but you will never know if it works out for you so good luck to all and sry for the ladies who has had mishapes bettr luck in whatever else you choos but do your research and make sure you talk to your doc nad make sure THEY actually know what they are doin cause you really dont want to be "set-up for failure" (sry alil military joke) its your body and its your temple take care of it  get checked up when your suppose to if you havent had any children its not really ment for you believe me i been doing my research on every sort of BC and this is really the best one i have found
I had the IUD inserted the second time after my second child.  At first I was having horrible cramps all the time and felt like I had a bladder infection.  I went to the doc and every thing was fine.  I decided to keep it in and try to make it work.  My period returned after I stopped nursing and ever since then I've been feeling so tired, been getting sick a lot, feeling cold, foggy headed, just like I'm getting the flu but I'm not sick.  I thought at first it was diet related so I changed my diet but things aren't getting better.  I'm going to get the marina removed and see if that helps.  Anyone have similar problems?
Hi I have just had this form of contraception inserted yesterday but now im really worried as im wondering how effective it is actually against getting pregnant as I have 2 beautiful girls and my husband and myself are very happy with 2 but the pill didnt work for me so have tried this do u think it is full proof against pregnancy ????
I've had the Mirena for almost 2 years. I've read the panflet and asked lots of questions. I was assure by my doctor this form of birth controll did not affect weight or moodt swings.He even went as far to give me some samples of the Nuva ring (wich has similar hormones) to do a test run for 2 or 3 months. I seemed to be fine so we went ahead with the Mireans. (aprox $330 CND) later, I had my new worry free b/c for the next 5 years! It did not hurt me to have put in although it did cause bleeding at that moment on the table. I left and was fine. No pain and the bleeding stopped.
I ended up with spotting though off and on for nearly 8 months. Sometimes during embarassing intement moments when I thought it would be fine.  The spotting slowed and dissapeared over time and now I havn't had a period in months.
The  DOWN SIDE NOW: I've been overly emotional, just like when I was pregnant. my hair still falls out, and I put on 20+lbs in the firt 5 month of having the IUC and it refuses to come off, with diet and exersize. I am bloated 24/7 and can look 6months pregnant at times.
I used to suffer from migrains as a teen, and even though they had gone away, they are now back more freqent. I have to wonder if there is a connection. But one thing I am certain of : I had great skin for the 1st 24 years of my life. Now since having the Mirena, I have been breaking out like mad. non stop, right when i think it's cleared up and going to be ok, i get another batch. Perfect skin to consistant  Acne for well over a year now.

I don't have sevear abdominal pains like some women here, but the weight, acne, and depression and  anger swings, are becomeing a  little much.

I have a docotors apointment on Oct. 14th. I plan on discussing this with him and deciding if there is anything to do.

I am saddend at the thought to have such a relyable semi permanant b/c taken out. But  for me I might just go back to the NUVA RING. in my opinion it's the next best thing. at least I can take it out my self. and I don't need to remeber a pill everyday, or get painful injections that are needed ever 3 months. and once the injection is in, your stuck with what ever side effects for up to 3months before they wear off if it isn't right for you.
well i got the mirena on sep 8 i have spotted every day since then wandering how long it gonna last? My thoughts is that it has hormones that are released in your body just like all the other birth controls and your body just has to adjust and then your side effects will go away maybe? I have decided that Iam going to wait till at least the 6 month mark or the bleeding to stop? I have been getting dizzy alot latley and getting the bad headaches i would be sad if the doctor told me that i had to take my iud out i like it inspite of the bleeding also i have been on the depo for 2 years and i loved that u had no period i had no wait gain and really didnt have any side effects as for feeling depressed i think it in the med that in all birth control and it just effect some wemons hormones like that. Iam wandering about the mirena though i do check for the string and find it easily i did have bad cramps that i couldnt walk for like the first week but now they okay i sill do have little cramps here and there but over all i like and would suggest if your interest try it i was very nervouse and took my time deciding on getting it put in it a big decision as is any decision thatt has to do with life and you health.
i just got the iud today and so far i do not like  it. i wish i would have read these comments befor i got it. as soon as i got it i can feel it in me and had cramps and tired and cranky. if it doesnt get better soon im getting it taking out!
I live in England and I've had the mirena for nearly three years.  I have gained excessive weight which I cannot shift. Mood swings, feeling bloated and looking six months pregnant is now the norm.  I wished I had done my research. I lost all the baby fat 6 weeks after having my baby and had the minera fitted four months after.  I didn't want any more kids and believed my gynaecologist.  We all have different reaction to medication.  For me it has been adverse and I am arranging to have it removed asap. For those who have benefited from Mirena, don't slag off those whose body had adverse reaction to it.  It has been a bad experience and wondering if anyone in England has had the same adverse effects I've had.
I have had the Mirena for over a year now, and I hate it! I had a severe headache for the first couple of days after it was placed, then I had no problems afterward. Well, 6 monthes later, I start getting periods for weeks at a time, and I get severe cramps where I almost black out and I get sick, and can not even walk. The past month it has been getting worse. I'm currently going on the third week of this period cycle and it's now slowing down one bit. I have also developed a lot of clots the past few days. I'm thinking I may go to the ER and have it removed ASAP. I do not think these side effects are normal one bit. How is it good for your body to bleed this much? Sorry if that sounds gross, but I'm just curious if anyone has had the same problems....
After having the Merina placed how long do you have to wait before you can have intercourse?
Before having the Mirena inserted I did quite a bit of research and was extremely frighted of it after reading so many horror stories regarding breakouts, decreased sex drive, numbness in the limbs, and weightloss.  However, I knew I did not want to have any more children and I tried the pill for about a year, but not only forgot to take it but suffered terribly from Melasma all over my forhead and cheeks as though I was pregnant again.  After speaking with a girlfriend who raved about Mirena, I decided to go ahead and give it a try and much to my delight I have found it to be a great decision.

Apparently 5% of the users of Mirena have the same complications many have shared in this discussion.  However, I just wanted to share mine because I have had the device for a little over two years and fall in the other 95% of users without complications and I think it would be a shame if the only feedback women got was negative.

Although insertion is suprisingly unpleasant...having gone through natural childbirth without the use of drugs I would never say painful or even compare it too childbirth...and I did encounter some cramping and light spotting for about a week after insertion..as well as the wierd feeling that something was in there...but overall I have been extremely pleased with this little device.

Approxiimately 1 month after having Mirena inserted my periods went from lasting 7-10 days to 1 or not at all, and bleeding is very slight, just enough to give you peace of mind that you are not pregnant.  I also found that the bloating, cramps, and overall moodiness that accompanied my periods completely vanished.  I have not had issues with weight gain or break outs and have found that my sex drive has actually increased. However, I think what I have experienced as the best side effect is my moods have become more stable.  I became pregnant as an older women, in my late 30's and ever since having my son 5 years ago my moods just never seemed quite the same, as though my hormones were permanently hijacked and I was stuck in a perpetual state of puberty.  However, around a month after insertion I found that I am finally back to my old self...even my husband has noticed a huge difference.

I hope those reading this do not base this important decision just on the bad experiences of others.  I  must admit, after reading horror stories I was terrified after having it inserted I needlessly spent the first three months paranoid that every little problem was caused by Mirena...actually looking for hair-loss or acne. I even mistaked a bout of food poisening for cramps and almost had it removed because I thought it had perferated my uterus! Boy was I embarrased.

In short....it is an extremely personal decision so do the homework, listen to others with a grain of salt, and give it a chance if you think its right for you. Believe me, it really can be a wonderful form of birthcontrol....if you fall in the other 95% of course.
i have has the mirena for almost 2 years . i had it inserted after giving birth to my daughter. i have not had any complications at all and love the fact of not having anymore children till i am ready .
yes you gain alittle weight but that is normal with any form of birth control. the cramping happens for me only at the time of my period. having the iud has changrd my life not only for the fact i have a slimmer chance of getting prego but because it gives me time to go to school and figure out what to do with my life. im happy with the fact that at this time im 22 and have one amazing child  and can make the decision as to when i want to have it taken out . so it kinda like i have a say as to when i get prego and by who .
if you have questions ask your doctor . everyone reacts diffrent to this product.

purely satisfied
I have had my Mirena for about a year and a couple months. It has been WONDERFUL=) I suggest it to everyone... I still have a period for about 5 days long and i dont kno if thats suppose to happen bcuz most people on the mirena dont have a period but i do.. Wish i didnt but i do=( But i have 1 son and thats all i want for how young i am and i dont want anymore for about 5 years so thats why i chose that Mirena=)
I've had the Mirena since July of '07, have checked the strings at least every month with the speculum (what someone so eloquently called 'the duckbill thingy).
  Endless pms symptoms the first year; cramping, nausea, irritability, increased sex drive, 'pregnancy mask' (tan patches on face with little exposure), very sensitive pms boob, sometimes spotted but seldom a period.  These weren't worrisome because our sex life didn't include penetration.

The next year & a half was better, no bleeding but pms hell for a whole month every other month, no penetration without condoms in our sex life.
Boyfriend gets vasectomy 5 months ago and we got distant during recoup time, we're both busy and have career lives, live separately, so whatever.  

This last couple weeks I've noticed a slight baby bump on my flat tummy (not pudge- The Bump) lots of spotting this last month (3x) and gained 5 pounds when I haven't gained anything this whole time. I've had sex once this year, 2 months ago. Once!  Protected even... are those lame 'strings' meant to poke holes or just make our partners fear/hate sex?

Eff this ish.
  Hpt = positive, I'm going into clinic tomorrow & if I am ???
  Hope this & my next post help others choose another form/s of contraception since this one is an EPIC failure invented by men who hate women.

I was wondering if anyone knew if you got pregnant on the merina how would you know and if you took a pregnacy test would it even show up that your pregnant????? I'm showing signs of being pregnant but I took a test and it as negative...but I was thinking if you got pregnant it goes to your tubes and it wouldn't show up enough HCG on a pregnacy test to tell you your pregnant!! Can anyone answer my question?
if you think you're pregnant test. the test won't be affected by the mirena.
Yea, i got the mirena in feb. 2010. Its now May 29th 2010 and i have already had so many problems such as, absolutely no sex drive, bloating, constant violent mood swings, major cramps, backaches, i had a period for the first 3 months bein on it and now i havnt had a period in a month. Im having so many pregnancy symptoms that i had when i got pregnant with my daughter. And to top it off i just found out that two friends of mine that have mirena are pregnant. O yea im trippin now!!!  I have a doctors appointment on the 8th should i just get it removed and try sumthin else?
Any advice? Hit me up on facebook or just email me shae_kristine92***@****!!!
I had the iud put in at the end of march. My hair is falling out, no cramps actually no period since june, is this normal or could I be pregnant? I had my tubes reversed and was wondering if I could even use this type of birth control. My dr didn't seem to be worried about that, but now I'm not sure if im pregnant or just tired and bloated from no periods. I know over time your periods could stop but mine were so heavy I find it hard to believe they could just stop within a few months?
I'm 19 i got the Mirena on my 6 week check up after i had my son. this was about 6 months ago. when my doc placed it i did have a few cramps for like 5 hours then they went away. but ive also been getting really bad migrans ever since i got it placed. and im wondering if the IUD has anything to do with that??
if anyone could help it would be awesome!
thank you~
meg
I'm 33 yrs old, happily married and blessed with two precious girls. I had Mirena (10yrs) inserted inside me on Sept 30, 2004 after my second girl. October 2010 will be my 6 yr on Mirena. I haven't had any problems with my Mirena for the past 5 years. And I'm very thankful for it.

I have a friend who also have Mirena inserted inside her..she was on Mirena for about 2 months then she started to have severe headache, abdomen cramping, lost so much weight..and her skin look so pale most of the time. Mirena doesn't work for her...it cause her too much problems. So she have it taken out. Couple months after it was taken out she was back to normal.

To all those who have been having problems with Mirena..please do have it taken out before something bad happen to you. Find something that will work for you better.

Kaye77
I just got my Merina out! It was the worse experience EVER!!! I had it put in about 8 weeks after I had my son. I bled for 3 months straight after getting it. Had horrible cramps, mood swings, bloating, headaches, and gained Soo much weight. I seriously look like my 6 month pregnancy pictures. After doing more research on it, my husband and I decided it wasn't worth the pain I was going thru.
CAN ANYONE HELP ME? I HAVE HEARD ABOUT A RECALL FOR A CERTAIN BATCH OF THE MERINA BIRTH CONTROL. HAS THERE EVER BEEN A RECALL DONE IN TENNESSEE???????????
I have had the marina about 4 months and so far so good... I have known 2 different people that have had the marina and have gotten pregnate....
I had the coil fitted 3 years ago,i checked it regulary and have found out this month after going to the doctors that it has disconnected and is now at the top of my uterius or in my abdoman,so to me if your not sure about it dont rush into it think long and hard.I now have an appointment to go and have a operation to remove it where ever it is.
Well I just had Merina put in today, I actually don't have much choice for birth control since I was on the pill 5 years ago I got a blood clot. So the pill and shot are not an option for me, my doctor was telling me it has something to do with estrogen in birth control that can cause blood clots, so Merina was my only choice as far as birth control, I was reading all these comments and side effects and I’m hoping things go well for me since its the only thing I can take to prevent pregnancy, I already have a 16month old so I’m very cautious with getting pregnant please everyone wish me luck! I really need Merina too work for me!!! --Stefanie
I have had Merina for 8 months. I am having it TAKEN OUT. I have severe pain like i'm having contractions. I felt for the strings and there was a hard mass around the area. It hurts bad. Also I get sick to my stomach all of the time for no reason. I have had 3 kids and thought this would be a worry free way to insure no more babies. It is not worth it for me!
im going to the docter tomorrow to get it put in me and the reason for that is when im pms'en i stay on for like a year i get the depo shot and it still dont work i bleed evey day none stop so after reading all this im kinda scared now but i have to dew sumthing to stop the heavy bleedin
I'm really wondering about all these dramatic stories of horror about the Mirena.

As with all invasive procedures, there are possibilities of complication.
If you take the steps to prevent the obvious, the incidence of complication is quite low.

Check your strings, regularly. (Wash your hands!) And feel on up there.

My doctor will not insert one prior to 10 weeks postpartum (after you have your baby) because of the increased likelihood of your body expelling it if inserted before then. Your Cervix needs time to close.

Go to a reliable obstetrician to have it inserted; they put in many, and are experienced in ensuring it is done properly.
The hormones involved with the Mirena are in very low doses comparatively to the pill. If you are experiencing weight gain, mood changes, and other symptoms associated with hormonal birth control, then know that all birth control pills have a much higher dose of hormones than the Mirena. They will likely make your symptoms worse.

As for the cramping: You will experience slight discomfort for the first little while, as well as spotting. This goes away, and  seeing as you have had a child already (right?! If you haven't, don't get the Mirena!) this shouldn't be an issue in comparison to contractions.

Don't get the Mirena if you have a known uterine abnormality, i.e: "Double Vagina", or if your Uterus is abnormally small or misshapen.

Again; Check your strings.

Also: Your Uterus is sterile. If you're sticking stuff way up your yahoo, or your partner is blowing air into your vagina, you could end up with preventable complications. And don't douche, regardless of having an IUD or not. Your Vagina is self cleaning, and is naturally acidic. Douching interferes with the natural PH balance and increases the risk of infection.

I've had absolutely no problem with my Mirena, and I have had one child, am 26, have Polycystic Ovaries, have tried *every* birth control method there is. It works. This is the best if you have had a child, no question, in my opinion. I especially like not having my period.  
The Mirena will not make you feel old. Having a new baby makes you feel old.

There is an exceptionally small risk of complication in otherwise healthy, ideal women. But there are always risks when you are interfering with your body, regardless of the situation.

Last thing: Don't listen to people on the internet. No, not even me. Go to an experienced obstetrician and let them tell you about it. They went to school for all of those years for a reason.

i am 17 and i just got it inserted today.i suffer from endomeetriosis and i have very very painful craps where i cant move. my dr told me to get mirena cause it will help with my pain. but now that i got it inserted im hurting just as bad (yea i new id have some pain but not like this) is there anything that will help for the pain? like heating pad or something?
I saw your note about joint pain and thought I'd write. I had the Mirena put in and after a year (exactly) I started having major joint pain everywhere. They can't figure out what it is. I've been tested for all kinds of stuff, acts like rheumatoid arthritis but didn't show up in blood tests. Did they ever figure out what was going on for you?
I would tell anyone even considering the mirena not to do it. We found out the hard way. The doctor did not tell my daughter she needed to a have a blood test monthly after the she got the iud because it effects your hormones so radically it can cause the onset of Type 1 diabetes.  She felt so bad after getting it, she went back 3 times and asked the doctor to remove it and he told her she would get used to it. Her sweet personality changed, she wanted no physical contact with her fiance, she had zero energy and then her blood sugar went to 500 ( could have caused coma) we rushed her to the hospital and found out she was type one diabetic. All of this happened a few weeks before her marriage and before starting medical school.  I called the doctor after all of this and He was like well how is she doing!! Well how the Hell do you think she is doing?? Three shots of insulin a day, one hormone shot a day and always having to ck. her sugar level. Everyone go to the web site Mirena and diabetes( some of you might think twice) I would consider a class action suit against this company if anyone else is interested.
Why are doctors so quick to dismiss that the problems stem from the IUD? Being doctors, they should know that not everyone reacts the same way. Just because scientific studies reflect that the chances of side affects are small doesnt mean that they are obsolite.I origionally got the IUD because I had severe cramps, contractions,while on my cycle. Since then, I have had cramps and severe shooting pains down the side of my leg, a dull feeling from where my kidneys would be, and cycles consisting of chunks of blood. When I talked to the doctor she acted as if everything was normal, and as if she is disappointed that I want to take it out! I mean my gosh...all they had to do in the first place was prescribe me naproxin, wich is what I was given after transport to the ER for contractions at an earlier age, instead they act as if people are going to the DR to get "drugs" and end up suggesting worse options for you according to clinical studies. I am soooo upset. Anyhow, I needless to say I have an appointment to get it taken out about a week from now.
hi, i have also just had the mirena inserted due to very heavy periods.. so happy to have read all the above as it has not even been a month and my legs are swelling everyday, my stomach which is usually nice an flatish is now really bloated, i have a dull ache down my legs and i cant touch my bottom or legs as they are so sore... i have been very moody also, like i am constantly due on my period, and i have just asked my daughter who is 11 have i become moodier??? very much so was her reply.. i am due for a check up in 2 weeks and most certainly thinking of getting this removed... has anybody else had the leg swelling and bloatedness????
Learn to spell. Hair not hear. Did your ears fall out?
try homeopathy for your endometriosis and remove the coil away
I've had mine in for two years and it was great for the first year and a half.. But then I had some excessive weight gain.. Like 25lbs in a month! And I had gotten down to 125lbs after baby (I weighed 175 while prego) and now I'm almost at that weight again and I'm eating healthy and my dr can find nothing wrong with my diet or exercise activity. I'm getting it removed ASAP! It also has a play in some major irrational anxiety. This however doesn't happen to everyone. It's been effective but now it's just not for me! I'm trying to get essure which is a non evasive starilization method!
I have a few questions about merania, i have 2 kids and do not want anymore EVER due to the fact i am a carrier for Dyshenne Muscular Dystophy. My second son most likly has it. Well I've talked to my doc about sterilization (sry if thats spelt wrong). He wants to do the procedure where they place a coil in each tube but he said that they can be placed wrong or fall out. They may not cause the growth in the tubes like it is supose to, but that sounds like purposly causeing a tumor, right?

My mother in-law has merania and has had no problems. After reading some of these stories posted here i dont know if i want it now. With the balding  and it falling out of place. If your the kinda person who for lack of better words, like it rough. Can that cause it to fall out?

My doc dose not want to cut/burn/tie my tubes he wants to place the coils in my tubes. I just dont want to have another baby i do not want to watch another child suffer the way my second son will and eventually die. your kids should out live you.
thanx and any advice will be helpful.
I have had marena for a little over a year now, my period has gone away completely, I still get cramps every month but no spotting or bleeding.  Lately I have been extremely emotional, over everything.  I have also been feeling really sick in the morning, lunch time and in the evening when I'm laying in bed, trying to sleep.  Has any one else felt this way with the IUD??
it is very helpful & your Dr is right by doing the test first before inserting it because if the right procedure is not followed correctly then is won't work.
I have it now for 2.5years now & its works wonders *wink*
I had my insertion done on the 8-11-12 and havent stopped bleeding since, I'm really concerned not sure if this is normal. Any advise??????
My doctor has told me not to let my partner check cause he may take it out and not notice