WOMEN'S HEALTH
COMMUNITY
Birth control, Does the merina work?
by whatisthat, Nov 13, 2005
I'm a 23 old mother of two. I just had my second daughter about four months ago. I recieved the Mirena IUD, Does it really work? How do I know if it is out of place? They say to feel for the string and I have but I do not feel anything. Can you please help.
Member Comments (138)
by Still_AndiJ, Nov 13, 2005
Statistically, it is more effective than sterilization, but that isn't to say it never fails. It has been said time and time again, but should be repeated...the only thing that is 100% effective against pregnancy is abstinence. But if you are going to have sex, it is generally a very effective form of birth control.

I just had my Mirena IUD removed and admitted to my doctor I had never checked the strings, she laughed saying it is quite tricky to do, which is why she never suggests it. If you are overly concerned you can either have your partner check or make an appt for a quick checkup with your OB/GYN and have them check for you.

Visit the mirena website for more information, they have an online version of their patient information brochure available.

Andi
by trikendi, Nov 14, 2005
i got pregnant with this iud... on 17thsept i had a misacarriage caused by the iud
by mommabee3, Nov 16, 2005
Hello!

The Mirena is very effective, as much as 99.9%. It's reported to be as effective, if not more so, then a vasectomy and/or getting your tubes tied.
Generally if a pregnancy does occur, it's because the Mirena was misplaced or fell out. That is fairly rare though, and an appt. a month after your Mirena insertion should confirm the Mirena's placement. After that, it only needs to be checked once a year. You can also easily check for the Mirena yourself. It's easiest felt during your cycle (if you get them, most women's periods will become VERY light on Mirena and by a year of use, 20% of women will have NO periods). All you need to feel for is the wires coming out of your cervix.
I've checked mine enough that I can feel them very easily at any point in my cycle. It may take a "first timer" a few practice tries before being able to feel it easily however.

The side effects from Mirena are usually fairly minimal. As with all birth control, you'll always hear of unusual stories of people having problems with Mirena (causing rare side effects) but typically Mirena has very little side effects. The first 4 months of use you may have sporadic spotting or even increased bleeding/cramping. But after 4-6 mo. of use your cycles generally go to VERY light and just a couple days a month, then eventually none.
Mirena is supposed to cause you not to ovulate, but also thickens the wall of your uterus I beleive to prevent implantation if you do happen to ovulate. (?)

I've been on Mirena a year now and have been very pleased with it. I don't even realize it's there and my periods are starting to go away totally.

Hope this helped!

~Bethany,
Momma to three charming princes
by Sweet Cheeks, Nov 21, 2005
I am a mother of two and had a merina coil inserted 6 weeks after my second was born.  That was 2.5 years ago.  I have not had any troubles what so ever.  I have a period about once a year and it generally only lasts for about 2 days and is very scant.  I would highly reccommend the merina.
by JLCloud, Dec 04, 2005
I'm 22 and have 2 children i want to know how much Minera is and how reliable it is
by bunnyw, Dec 05, 2005
hello,this is my second time for having marina, i have 2 children, 6 year gap.my baby is 3.i have my second marina nearly 3 years.i recently had a smear and havent being feeling myself. my hormones seem to be all over the place.i also have my periods for nearly 4 weeks.i was wondering if this is normal or maybe it was knocked out of place while having my smear.any advice?bunnyw
by martigirl, Dec 17, 2005
I had a mirena inserted almost a month ago and at first I felt okay, I had a lot of cramping and flow but I felt okay and then in the last week and a bit I have developed a feeling of unwell.  I have been really bloated and it hurts to take deep breaths.  I have been having some headaches and have been really tired.  I am not sure if this is the result of working full time while also being a single mother to four children and the holidays coming up or if it is a result of something going wrong with the mirena.  I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced anything like this.

Thanks for any advice.
by b3ll!@, Jul 11, 2007
iI had marena insert a year agoi been feeling good into a week ago. i have beeng cramping a lot specially went i carry something heavy you think is normal? is it cause off the iud or it?
by AmberVarela, Aug 02, 2007
I have also experienced problems with Marena. Mine was out of place and I also became pregnant.  I just got out of the hospital two days ago.  I had an eptopic pregnancy and I also lost a falopian tube that had to be removed along with the pregnancy all because the marina somehow failed to do its job.  I now have a large hole in my belly where I had the surgery.  I think that maybe there should be more research done on this birth control. I know several other women who have had to have it removed because of cramping and odd side effects. I will say that it did completely eliminate my periods. But how good can that be for your body, after all it is a part of nature to have a period. If any one else has had a similar experience as mine please e-mail me and let me know.  I would like to write a letter to someone and complain.  I have lost a child and now my body is deformed because of this birth control.  

***@****