Birth control, Does the merina work?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Birth control, Does the merina work?

I'm a 23 old mother of two. I just had my second daughter about four months ago. I recieved the Mirena IUD, Does it really work? How do I know if it is out of place? They say to feel for the string and I have but I do not feel anything. Can you please help.
Statistically, it is more effective than sterilization, but that isn't to say it never fails. It has been said time and time again, but should be repeated...the only thing that is 100% effective against pregnancy is abstinence. But if you are going to have sex, it is generally a very effective form of birth control.

I just had my Mirena IUD removed and admitted to my doctor I had never checked the strings, she laughed saying it is quite tricky to do, which is why she never suggests it. If you are overly concerned you can either have your partner check or make an appt for a quick checkup with your OB/GYN and have them check for you.

Visit the mirena website for more information, they have an online version of their patient information brochure available.

Andi
i got pregnant with this iud... on 17thsept i had a misacarriage caused by the iud
Hello!

The Mirena is very effective, as much as 99.9%. It's reported to be as effective, if not more so, then a vasectomy and/or getting your tubes tied.
Generally if a pregnancy does occur, it's because the Mirena was misplaced or fell out. That is fairly rare though, and an appt. a month after your Mirena insertion should confirm the Mirena's placement. After that, it only needs to be checked once a year. You can also easily check for the Mirena yourself. It's easiest felt during your cycle (if you get them, most women's periods will become VERY light on Mirena and by a year of use, 20% of women will have NO periods). All you need to feel for is the wires coming out of your cervix.
I've checked mine enough that I can feel them very easily at any point in my cycle. It may take a "first timer" a few practice tries before being able to feel it easily however.

The side effects from Mirena are usually fairly minimal. As with all birth control, you'll always hear of unusual stories of people having problems with Mirena (causing rare side effects) but typically Mirena has very little side effects. The first 4 months of use you may have sporadic spotting or even increased bleeding/cramping. But after 4-6 mo. of use your cycles generally go to VERY light and just a couple days a month, then eventually none.
Mirena is supposed to cause you not to ovulate, but also thickens the wall of your uterus I beleive to prevent implantation if you do happen to ovulate. (?)

I've been on Mirena a year now and have been very pleased with it. I don't even realize it's there and my periods are starting to go away totally.

Hope this helped!

~Bethany,
Momma to three charming princes
I am a mother of two and had a merina coil inserted 6 weeks after my second was born.  That was 2.5 years ago.  I have not had any troubles what so ever.  I have a period about once a year and it generally only lasts for about 2 days and is very scant.  I would highly reccommend the merina.
I'm 22 and have 2 children i want to know how much Minera is and how reliable it is
hello,this is my second time for having marina, i have 2 children, 6 year gap.my baby is 3.i have my second marina nearly 3 years.i recently had a smear and havent being feeling myself. my hormones seem to be all over the place.i also have my periods for nearly 4 weeks.i was wondering if this is normal or maybe it was knocked out of place while having my smear.any advice?bunnyw
I had a mirena inserted almost a month ago and at first I felt okay, I had a lot of cramping and flow but I felt okay and then in the last week and a bit I have developed a feeling of unwell.  I have been really bloated and it hurts to take deep breaths.  I have been having some headaches and have been really tired.  I am not sure if this is the result of working full time while also being a single mother to four children and the holidays coming up or if it is a result of something going wrong with the mirena.  I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced anything like this.

Thanks for any advice.
iI had marena insert a year agoi been feeling good into a week ago. i have beeng cramping a lot specially went i carry something heavy you think is normal? is it cause off the iud or it?
I have also experienced problems with Marena. Mine was out of place and I also became pregnant.  I just got out of the hospital two days ago.  I had an eptopic pregnancy and I also lost a falopian tube that had to be removed along with the pregnancy all because the marina somehow failed to do its job.  I now have a large hole in my belly where I had the surgery.  I think that maybe there should be more research done on this birth control. I know several other women who have had to have it removed because of cramping and odd side effects. I will say that it did completely eliminate my periods. But how good can that be for your body, after all it is a part of nature to have a period. If any one else has had a similar experience as mine please e-mail me and let me know.  I would like to write a letter to someone and complain.  I have lost a child and now my body is deformed because of this birth control.  

***@****
Hi, I had a Mirena coil fitted a week ago and my doctor said I'd have cramps for a couple of days. I've still got them a week later and some spotting. Is this normal and how long can I expect the cramps to go on for? It's put me right off sex which was obviously not the point of the whole exercise!
After doing extensive research I decided to get the Mirena IUD in on May 9th of this year. I had never been on Birth Control and sinceI was horrible at taking pills I felt that this would be the best option for me.

A few days after I had it put in I felt what was like the worst flu of my life. I almost went to the emergency room because of it. The doctors did a whole bunch of tests and found nothing wrong and gave me antibiotics just in case. They all insisted it wasn't the Mirena. I did get better in a few days.

A month later I had severe cramps for 3 days. Not all day long but, for about 4-5 hours out of the day. I could barely walk with them. I thought my body was still adjusting to the IUD since they say cramping can occur. I was fine then and felt great for about a month. I went in for an Ultrasound at the end of the month and found out that my IUD had expelled into my cervical canal! That's what all my cramping was about.

Fast forward another month and I found out I had huge ovarian cysts on each of my ovaries. I had to have surgery to have them removed and I lost an ovary. Mirena causes cysts in about 12% of all women who use it.

I decided to have it removed on July 30th. I was irritable, had violent mood swings and headaches the whole time I had it. The side effects such as bleeding and cramping can last up to six months. There is a whole list of side effects that are related to this IUD. However a lot of Dr.'s will dismiss them as not being related. They did that with me yet when I got the IUD removed all my side effects went away.

To those who want to write a letter of complaint or call the number is 1-888-842-2937. I called them to report an adverse event and am in the process of getting all my money refunded for this product.

I'm not trying to scare women away from this. Many of my friends have the Mirena and worship it. All of our bodies are different and will react accordingly. Mine just went haywire for some reason.
i'm 27 and had merina coil inserted 2 years ago to slow down endryometriosis.  I have had nothing but trouble since!  As soon as it was inserted i suffered from cramps and abdominal pain which lasted 6 months and have generally faded but do reoccur.  Soon after i had merina inserted i developed cystic acne on my chest and back.  I was told me my doctor that these symtoms (symptoms) would die down after 6 months to a year.  I have been taking 500mg antibiotics (2 a day) for the last 2 years as i still suffer from extreme acne as a result of the merina coil.  In the last 6 months i have now developed tender breasts, mood swings, nil sex drive & brown discharge not to mention constant yeast infections from antibiotics.  I disperately want the coil removed but my doctor has advised against this as they have suggested that my endryometriosis will return - can anyone advise??!!
I got the merina in July 2004.  My hear has been falling out ever since.  I too had problems with bad abdominal pain and i was feeling bloated all of the time.  I recently had the iud taken out of me due to excessive hair loss.  I had to cut off all of my hair last month.  I'm 29 years old i have to wear wigs until i my hair grows back or i decide to wear my hear short.  I have bald spots on the top and in the middle of my head.  My advice to other women is that if your're experiencing any type of side effects and they won't go away just get rid of it like i did.  
I would suggest you to check out a book called "An A-Z Woman's Guide to Vibrant Health by Lorna Vanderhaeghe. She will give you more logical answers and help then your current doctors will ever give you. She personally suffered from Endryometriosis and was able to get ride of it completely. I found out about the book after my doctor wanted to start me back on the pill because I have Uterine Fibroids. I want to eventually get pregnant and the side effects of the pill are scary so I decided instead to follow the suggestions from the book and my pain is almost gone and my cycle are back to normal. I hope this help.
Hey,
Im on this merina thing to and i seem to be having mixed feelings all over the place....i dont get my periods at alll but every so often i get massive pains in my abdomnamon....i went to the the doctors to see if anything was wrong and they said i was fine....so what im thinking that the merina is causing all this stuff going on inside me...emotionally and phyisacally...been feelings nautious.....not feeling to high in spirtis emotions running sky high.....mood swings.....and i get really bacd back pain...but it seems to work for not getting pragnant....so you tell me if i should get this out or do you think it can be something elses? can you give me you opinions? thanks would be greatly appreciated.....~ Mizz Virta
I had the marina and actually just got it taken out today because of pains in my stomach, weight gain, mood swings, and head aches. It is different for everyone but if you are haveing any problems take it out...My doctor told me that the side effects I was haveing was not due to the IUD I guess we will see in a week or so how I feel. To the women going to get it done, it does hurt like hell but if it works for you go for it. You will cramp really bad for a day or so then it should start to go away, Make sure you don't have to work or anything because after you get it all you want to do is relax.
I had Merina fitted 2 years ago after birth of 3rd child.  Doctor advised due to bad period cramps.  Have put on weight on my tummy - sometimes am so bloated I look 6 months pregnant.  Previous to Merina no trouble with weight.  Tummy often feels uncomfortably bloated.  Have asked to be referred for steralisation but having no periods for past two years and the thought of going back to those pains leaves me undecided - big belly or no pains.
How did you find out your pregnant?  At home pregnancy test, blood test? or what?  Also, did you sue them?
You should check with your insurance company to see if they cover it. I only had to pay my $20.00 co-pay.
merina IUC is the best birth control ever
Im supposed to be having the merina coil fitted as i have got polycyctic ovaries but im not sure how this will help with the pain can anyone help?
Hey your the original whatisthat kool just thought id say that ha k good luck
I'm so glad you mentioned the cystic acne.  I've had the merina for about a year and a half and I complained about the terrible, painful cystic acne on my back and shoulders and my doctor dismissed it and said that the merina won't cause cystic acne.  However, I've never had acne of any kind on my body before the merina was inserted.  Other than that I'm very happy with it.  But the cysts are getting worse and worse and I'm almost ready to give up on the merina for that alone.  I got it because I needed to stop, or at least slow down horribly heavy periods.  I don't know what I will do if I have to give up on the merina.
I have 2 children and had the minera put in after my last son and DID NOT want anymore children. A year later i became preganant and the doctor siad it either "fell out" or its still in there floating around somewhere! I was in shock and would not reccomend it to anyone!
i have juat had the menerina coil, for treatment for server endo.i have been on injectins to stop my periods. they cant give me any more so i am trying thc coil the thing is major surgery.the last injectin i had was three weeks ago and will last for 3 months so they said get the ciol fitted straight away.i had loads of side afects from injection they said shouldnt have any with the coil,because its not no where the same has the injection being pumped around my body is ti true. is there anyone in the same boat thanks joe.
I had Mirena (for all those who misspell this IUD that they supposedly had put in) put in Dec. 12, 2007.  When getting it put in, there is no more pain or discomfort than your regular woman's exam.  Afterwards you might cramp for a few hours and spot for a couple of weeks (which they warn you about!)  Since then, I have had NO pain, NO cramps, AND peace of mind.  I had it put in 6 weeks after my first son.  I am completely for Mirena.  Its easy and my insurance covered it.  For all those people who got pregnant or had cramps because it was in your cervical canal, HELLO!!!!!!!!  You are told over and over again, to check the strings regularly to make sure it is in place.  It's not hard ladies, stick a finger in, and feel it.  Also you are supposed to get it checked the first month you have it and at your yearly well woman exam.  I think the people who don't take care of it as they were supposed to are the ones having problems.  Those who are responsible enough to check it weekly or so (no big deal to do it daily even) have a great experience with it.
i just got it inserted today, very uncomfortable. I read the pamplet about it before i made up my mind and it says all that stuff but it also says you are fully protected against getting pregnant again if it works within 48 hours? that doesn't seem right does it?
By n8tvmothrearth29

I am a mother of three.  I'v tried the three month shot, I didn't have periods but I concieved my first baby. I've tried the copper IUD ten-year birth control and became pregnant with my second child about a year in a half after it was inserted.  Now I'm trying the Marena. My monthlies have stopped. I'm also experiencing other symptoms that I don't know if they are from the Marena. I've gained weight, my iron is low, I have anemia, and I'm experiencing increased hair loss. I have a bald spot! I use to have very thick hair. I'm debating on having it removed. Then again I'm not ready to get pregnant any time soon. Could I have a cyst?
Abstenance is the best, but my husband wont hear of it, and I like to bond with my husband. What to do?
I have not had any children, but I am in a very steady relationship and do not plan on having them any time soon.  I am in college and it is very hard to get into a routine with taking the pill, having odd sleeping and waking hours and class times.  Is this an ok method of birth control to use if I haven't had any kids yet?
It is worth a try it effect everyone differently. I had it for a few months and noticed weight gain, hair loss, headaches and pain in my left leg. I got it taken out and I have never noticed it again. But I have friends that have it and they love it...
I have had marena and i am severaly disappointed. I too am a college student and can not afford to have a child during school. This form of birth control is HORRIBLE! I bleed inconstienly after my second child( He is  now 15 Months)  and i gained weight ( 15 pounds) . I am getting it removed because all the severe side effects . My body is exhaused i'm only 22 years old and i feel like i'm 30. IF YOU ARE YOUNG DO NOT GET THIS FORM OF BIRTH CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is too strong for our bodies.
I am 23 and had problems with the IUD, but I have friends that are around the same age that are fine with it. I am NOT telling everyone to go get it. If people are thinking about it then they should try it. Like I said before "IT EFFECTS EVERYONE DIFFERENTLY." How is someone to know if it is for them if they don't try it? Women know their bodies and we know if something is wrong...if someone gets it and a month later feel that something isn't right then take it out. I had mine put in July of 2007 and had it taken out December of 2007 within a week I felt better. If a person is not wanting to have more kids and doesn't want their tubs tied then it's worth a try. Oh, and congrats on having 2 kids and going to college I know its hard. It's nice to hear of a young mom taking care of her business and trying to do better for herself!!!!!   :o)
You commented that "there is no more pain or discomfort than your regular women's exam".  I wish that were true for me!  I had taken 800mg of ibuprofen before I went in, and the pain was horrible.  I probably was the exception.  Everyone's body is different, so you shouldn't be so hasty and tell everyone that.  Also, you don't need to be so rude about people checking for the Mirena to still be in, I cannot feel mine, and I try to feel for it all the time!  It sometimes can get tucked up where you cannot feel it.  Yes, I am glad I got it, as I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), and the GYN thinks I may have Endometriosis too.  The bleeding was not only heavy, but lasted too long.  Now, since I have had Mirena in since 5/2006, I haven't even had a period!  However, I just recently started having abdominal pains, bloating, cramps, and fatigue, which is exactly what I had last time I had an ovarian cyst on my right ovary. Like I said before, every one of us is different.  What works for some, may not work for all.  But, I think that Mirena has worked very well for me so far, as I was able to go without a period AT ALL for the past year or so!  Compared to the 31 day period I had before I had this product put in, I think the benefits out way the possible side effects.  I had to try something, and this was my last choice before they would do anything more drastic, like surgery.  I certainly didn't want that!  All we can do is research the product, ask others who have had it put in, and make our own decision based on the evidence.  This certainly was a lot better choice than the birth control pills I used to take.  The birth control pills didn't keep cysts from forming on my right ovary, they raised my blood pressure, caused headaches, and I still had heavy periods.  So, make the choice for yourself, but I think it is worth giving it a try.  Birth control pills are no better!
i had the iud put in on jan.31,2007 i have been bleeding since i got it put in. i have very little pain once in awhile nothing big. my big issue is that i have been very moody and depressed one mintune i am so happy laughing and playing with the kids the next mintune i just want to be left alone or i will yell for no reason, not only is it getting to the people around me but i am starting to wonder what is going on. i have never been like this before!!! i am 20 years old and i have 3 kids already i am getting married and we dont want any more kids right now maybe in a couple of years when we have a bgger place and better jobs this just seemed like the best thing for us but know i just dont know!!!!!!! DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVISE?

amber123
If you feel as if it is the IUD get it taken out...I had it and had a lot of problems. It's not for everyone. Try the ring you change it on the 3rd week and leave it out for the 4th week and you will have a normal period. Then a week after you have it out put a new one in. You don't feel it neither will your partner. If you feel it in there it's not in all the way, its kinda like a tampon you can tell if it's not in right.
I had the mirena put in dec of 2006 after i had my 2nd child.  I really didn't have any problems at first just bleeding all the time but they said that would happen.  Then about 8 months later by now i don't get my period at all but i sarted to feel like i couln't wake up.  i was tired and felt like i was having hot flashes.  Things started to get worse from there i am sick to my stomach everyday just about all day i have headaches i really feel like i have the flu or something.  I cry ans feel like i have no control over my moods.  So i just had my iud remove yesterday and was wondering if anyone had the same problems and if so how long after the iud was removed did they feel better? Thank you so much i have been to the doctors office like 1oo times and have been through so many test nothing has come of anything so to me it must be this iud.
I had some similar complications when I got the IUD taken out it took about a week or two for me to feel normal again.
Thank you i  started to think there was no hope i was just going to feel like this forever. You really brought some light to me i hate feeling like this.
You are welcome, I know exactly how you feel. Hang in there things will get better :o)
I had the IUD put in 1 month ago.... I took 800mg Ibuprofen and Hydrocodone before I had it placed.  Worst pain I have ever felt.  Not only did the applicator not release; it took 3 tries for it to release.  After that the doctor gave me some pill to make the horrible cramping stop for 24hrs. After that I felt great with a mild cramp here and there.  I checked for my strings and didnt feel them.  Thinking it was my lack of knowledge of how to feel them I didnt worry because I had my 1 month check up coming up.  At the checkup she couldnt find the IUD now I am getting an ultrasound and am bleeding severely.  Now I am scared that I have ruined my chances of ever having a child someday. (I have not had one yet)  Anyone else with a similar situation?
I recently had my second child. I went to the doctor and had the mirena placed. It was extremely painful. I turned red, broke out in a sweat, and couldnt breathe. Afterwards you have an ultrasound to check placement. The ultrasound showed the mirena had gotten lodged in the muscle tissue of my uterus and it had to be taken back out immediately.The pain did not stop then either. I left the doctor with blood running down my legs and pain in my abdomen and back. I went through a 3 hour doctor visit, $600, and extreme pain for nothing! It was horrible.
Yikes!  I was so close to getting this before I read all these stories.  My ins. co. just ok'd be getting it and my doctor's office is more than willing but I think I'll just stick w/ the painless pill now.  I'm 29 and don't want to loose my hair, have adomnal pain, or screw up anything internal.  Thanks to all of you for writing in.
Ok so I have a question, I got the mirena in March 07, I had some cramps nothing that bad.  It hurt and was uncomfortable when it was being inserted but after the first weeks I was fine...so here is my question, (alittle graphic) my husband can feel the strig with his fingers and he thinks maybe he moved/pulled it...cause he touches the string alot (if you get my drift), can it be displaced like that?  Is this how people get pregnant with this?  Also if you get pregnant on mirena...does a regular home pregnancy test work?
I asked my doctor the same thing, he said as long as my husband doesn't "pull" it should stay in place. I'm not to sure about being able to tell if youare pregnant from a home test I wouldn't see why not though.
i got pregnant on mirena after having it in for 2 years. the ob doc pulled the plug and said i had a 50% chance of miscarrying. i did not. i am 22 weeks pregnant. i did notice though that sex was somewhat uncomfortable while i had it in. i could feel it, but then again my partner is well better than average if ya know what i mean.
I had Merina put in about 5 months ago. I have been spotting almost the whole time hoping it will stop by the 6th month but this i can handle. About 2 months after i got it my hair started falling out and in the 3rd month my libido vanished these i can not handle.What i am trying to find out is if anyone knows if  the hair loss will stop and the drive will return after a period of time or do i just need to have it removed?  
Apr 02, 2008 01:50PM in the  Women's Health Community
Hi! Same story,had it for almost a year,come May 24th,and been bleeding irregularly,but lightly.My doc says that I should check it out,hormonally.Everything else is fine,feeling ok,and no PMS.My blood count is great,just worried WHY this is happening! Please post any news,so will I ! Huggs,Holly
ok im 20 years old i have a 1 year old.i have hade it in for ten months.i have ben in pain for almost the hole time with every thing. in the last too months it fells like im preg. but all of the test i have done say im not ? in the last too day i fell lik im in labor it hurts so bad nothing i do will make it go away. then last night my breast started to have milk come out. i have not breast feed my baby scence he was 2 1/2 months because my milk stoped. i cant get in to a doc for 2 weeks and i dont know what to do.                                                                                                                                           we have also felt it when we have sex.the doc said that would not happen, but every time we do and it hurt us.some times it has cut him u know where im so scard i dont want to be pregant and lose it because of it
You need to tell you doctor that it is an emergency and get in there....or go to the emergency room. Especially if you have milk coming out, something isn't right. I had the IUD for 4 or 5 months and my hair was falling out I was bleeding all the time. I had the worst cramps it did feel like I was in labor it got to the point to where I couldn't walk. I went to the doctor and got it taken out and a few weeks later I was fine.
I had the IUD put in 2 weeks ago and have felt like **** ever since.  I have been spotting and clotting since I had it done I am now having Migraines where I can't function and I am sick to my stomach liek I have morning sickness but at night.  I am also moody and have had to up my depression medicines.  I am so already, ready to go have this pulled out.  
I felt so overwhelmed after reading these posts that I actually started to cry.I go Merina 2 mos ago,pretty bad cramps and bloating but thought Ibuprophen would take care of it.But then have beened so tired i can hardly make it through a day at work!I feel so down that i thought i needed antidepressants,not to mention i gained 15lbs of belly fat,which i couldn't understand because i have NEVER been so heavy! I admit i love not having a period or worring about pregnancy.Thank you all for the enlightment,i am not crazy afterall!!!
PS anyone who had these symptoms would you please post what happened after you had it removed,is this the way i'll be either way now or will i be back to normal after removal???
hi im jess. im on 3 diffrent pill now becausr of the iud every time i had sex or any thing to do to make it move it cut me in side.so now i have an infeded i cant get i out for 2 more weeks but all the stuff u said i have but with a lot pain not even lortab 5 will take it a way      sorry about the spelling its late
sorry i did not read befor i posted it
I am in a stable relationship, but i have no children and i have such a busy life with school and work.  Do I have to have a child before i can get Merina? I'm not planning on having children for a long time.  Does anyone know?
I had the same thing happen, my hair was even falling out. I had it in for about 5 months and I got it taken out and about a month later (maybe sooner) I felt so much better. I was always tired withit in, I was very depressed and I have a 4 year old and I never had enough energy to play with him, when I realized that I had to do something so I got it atken out and about a month later I felt "normal" again. I hope this helps!!
I got the Paragard (copper IUD) which is good for 10 years before having children when I was 19.  It hurt a little going in but gave me no other complications.  I kept it for almost 9 years until I was ready for children.  The advantage of the Paragard is you don't have the complications of hormones (therefore there are fewer side effects) and you can keep it for 10 years (saves $$).  You are also able to have children starting the month it is removed.  I had a great experience with it and would recommend it to anyone.
so can you feel it, is it uncomfortable, and has it ever like bothered a husband or boyfriend?
yes u can my hubby feels it al the time. it has cut him too so be carfull if he hites it. it hurts u
thanks for the info
Dear girls,
if you can feel the Mirena(or your partner)then it has MOVED or is about to fall out!!! You should go to the obgyn!! Mirena ,when in place,isn't felt in any way,because it sits firmly in the womb!!! Please check it out with your physician.I have been to mine,and everything is ok!
Huggs
hi...i just posted a new discussion on mirena...asking about people's experiences...i am new on this site so i didn't realize there was one already posted....anyways.  i swear...i am so confused my head is spinning.  i don't like the affects of my birth control but i sure as hell don't like what i've heard (the bad and even the "not-so-good" stuff) about this iud. and BTW my heart goes out to all of you who have had such horrible experiences..  i seriously am beginning to wonder if ANYTHING when it comes to birth control is worth it anymore....side affects are out of control no matter what you take or get done...or so it seems.  i think i will deal w/ my yaz and inability to lose these extra 10 lbs....i am not good at having to worry about something slippiing, sliding or moving...or having something pain me or cut me..ouch.   thanks for the advice....j
no u can feel it . i just hade mine tacken out. the doc did not want to tack it out he said everything was good i even did ex rays and i feelt it every time it movid it cut me
The only thing you CAN and Should feel is the string,and it should be checked after evry period,by yourself.You should not pull on the string(too deep anyway)just feel for it with your finger.Some drs.cut the string quite short so you may not feel it at all.
Mirena SHOULD NOT be felt,I repeat that,because,I read here womwn saying that they can feel it cutting(?!?)them,and so on,.This is very dangerous and it only says that Mirena is not in place.Please check it out!!
I am 22 and had my Merina for a year now and I have sever back pain and I have adominal (abdominal) pain and feel sick all the time and I get head aches and I have hair coming out a little by little and I have had sharp groin pains and they make me cry sometimes and I have had a couple blood clots and I had my period for the first 9 months then they stopped and I get one for like an hour. I can not afford to go to the doctor my insurance paid for it before it expired I dont have it anymore I think I need it removed. anyone give me some advice my e-mail is ***@**** I live in Aransas Pass, Tx I got it from Indianapolis, Indiana I moved down here so......
Im a 20 year oldmother of three i just delivered our 3rd child and i want to get mirena put in how long do i need to wait befor i can have this done? Does anyone know?
i have had the iud for 2 yr s and i dont have insurance anymore to get it removed.i have had the worst acne on my face and my back since. nothing will make it go away. im starting to get scars on my face now. i feel disgusting and my mood swings are out of this world. i would have to say that if you dont have a period then the bacteria and toxins have to come out somewhere. this sucks. i would choose carefully b4 getting it put in. i have even thought i was pregnant a few times cuz i would get the nausea and cramps.
I had severe cramping for about 3 months, and spotting for about 6 months. now i get very light spotting for 1 day, about every 3 weeks.  The cramping has now gone.
Also, my partner could feel the strings at first, i went back to my obstetrician and he cut the string shorter which fixed the problem.
At my last papsmear, the obstetrician could not feel the strings, he sent me for an ultrasound, and the IUD was still in place, just with no string.
My advice to women is if you have had children, then give Mirena a go, and give your body time to adjust to it. It's a fantastic device if fitted by someone that knows what they're doing, I would recommend an gynae/obst rather than your local GP.  If you havnen't had kids yet, then perhaps give it a miss, there have been a small amount of cases of women having damage done to organs from the device.
Also it's important to note that the Merina IUD has been improved over the years, and a lot of the "older" horror stories have been with an older version of the device.
For those of you that are concerned about the device, just go and see your doctor and ask for a checkup, and an ultrasound if you are worried it's become dislodged.
you can go to planned parenthood, they provide birth control and well women exams etc. based on your income you can look them up on the internet to find a location near you. Hope things improve. I have 4 children, don't want more children, can't afford a vasectomy for my husband & don't want to stay on the pill, but am now scared to try Merina.
i had the merina in 4 years ago to help with my peirods. im glag i had it in as i havnt had a peiod for 4 years as i was very bad with whem i have put on abit of weight but have had no other problems with it  i have had sex  with it but as i was only with some one for a week i also uesd a condom but apart from that im well   from tracy june 17th 08
I'm a small 19 year old college student with NO kids, and I Don't want kids..Ever... I just got the merina put in today.. it was a pretty painful procedure, and i have a very high pain tolerance (I've had kidney stones twice)... Anyways, the cramping was pretty rough, and I  was spotting a bit after the procedure.. but rested today, and I feel almost normal already and I don't notice any more spotting... It's only been 6 hours since I left the Dr.'s office!
I got it done for free at planned parenthood because i qualify for some low income program.. I could never take pills or the patch because it messed with my hormones too much and I was a train wreck, also I have a hard time remembering to take something every day... Right now, I am going to school, and would like to establish a career. I dont want to think about birth control!! So far (day 1) I like it, the thought of No Pills, No patch, AND NO ******* CHILDREN just tickles my fancy!
I'll keep you all posted.. Remember, usually those who dont have complaints, are the ones who arent on here.. but I have no life, so I will keep you posted!! :) I have no complaints so far and Love the idea!!

Avoir
I had my Mirena put in June of 2007.  I cramped so bad that first week.  Then that got better but the bleeding didn't stop.  For about a good 6 months I bled more than I didn't.  I have constant cramps, back pain, headaches etc.  Now for the past two months no periods.  Okay...but if I didn't know better I would swear I was pregnant.  Nausea, headaches, breast tenderness, cramping, mood swings..all of it.  I hate it!  I would take it out if but I am waiting on new insurance to kick in.  If I knew that this thing would make me have these headaches and constant cramps along with this wonderful feeling of being pregnant when I'm not, I would have never done it.  It *****. I always had a normal cycle before and only did this for pregnancy prevention.  Now the only question my hubby and I have is the same one we faced before our last child was born.....do we want another baby or are we ready to do a tubal?
Check your facts....Google Mirena and read all about it...I wish I did!
i have had the mirena fitted for 4 years, up till now i would say it was great. havent had a period or got pregnant during that time.  the first year i did have alot of herpes outbreaks sometimes 2 a month.  i havent had an outbreak for over a year.  

but not my stomach is permantly bloated to the stage that i look pregnant.  i am having tests for coeliac disease but am thinking that maybe i should have coil removed and see what happens. my hormone levels are also slightly elevated to 33.
I could not wait to express how horrible the merina was. I initially went in for the ten years paragard and was talked into the merina by this stupid gyno, heaven knows i feel like taking her to court for the distress she caused me for these past 18 months. My hubby threaten to leave me because he could not figure out what was possesing me. I was a walking dead on the merina and still am, four days after removal, i'm having blurred vision and mucus constantly in my eyes and they were always dried and burning, i developed acid reflux desease, gastrointeritis, numbness in different parts of my body, rashes, confussion, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, a constant discomfort under my right rib cage where my liver is suppose to be, flu like symptoms, weakness and worst of all low sex drive. I feel like my world is coming to an end. I took numerous blood work and they all came back clear. I called my gyno and she had the nerve to tell me to consult with a psych. I know she was not calling me crazy. My first attack was brought on by the ortho evra patch and now this. There should be some serious consequences for this unacceptable birth control. I'm sorry for any harm that the merina had done to all these female. I'm four days post-merina and i'm feeling like a mess. I wish help is some where out there for me but i will not find it in these doctors any more, they are all in it to make money. Until i stumble on a self cure, i remain hopeful for life.  
I have had my IUD for almost a year now. I have never had children. I had no idea the insertion would hurt and therefore took no pain medication before hand. I actually hyperventilated due to the pain (which I've never done before). The first 6 mo was cramping everyday and a lot of spotting. I now have cramps randomly and a decreased sex drive. I am thinking about getting it taken out but I am scared it will hurt again. What was the pain like getting it taken out compared to getting it put in? Did you have cramping in the days following getting it taken out?
I would like to know if it hurts to get out also. I have had mine in for about 2 years. I have had so many problems it is not funny. I have had cramping, urinary tract infections,thrush, depression. The doctors don't want to take it out because of really bad extremily heavy periods with a 21 day cycle but because of the drepression I have been put on antidepression medication and now I have put on 20kilos which I think is about 40 pound. They have tried to change the medication which I have had a reaction to and now I just feel so down it is really bad. I wish I never had it put in.
Getting it taken out was a breeze...NO pain at all. I felt so much better after a few weeks. My hair was actuall falling out and I gained about 20 pounds! It was horrible!! GOOD LUCK
I had the Merina for a little over a year. I had it taken out 2mts ago I had a normal perios (periods) and haven't had one since. Were trying to have another baby but I am not having a period. Is this normal? I am ok with not having anyymore children I have 2. I just want one or the other. A period or a baby. can anyone help me?
I just had the merina put in yesterday.  If I would have listened to all of the negetive mesgs. on here I never would have gone, but I did and let ME tell you my version.   It felt wierd getting it inserted.  The only thing that was uncomfortable was the "duck bill" !!!!   THATS IT!!!!!!   no pain no cramps!!!   I spotted for about 10 mins.    But then again it didnt hurt to give birth either.  So if you want this get it !!!  dont listen to the NEGITIVE!!!!  I will give an update if things change.
Well so far you have been lucky I guess and I hope it continues for you that way. I guess it effects some people and not others but all I can say is that it has given me hell, I am getting it out today and I can't wait to feel normal again. I am glad that there is a forum like this so I know I am not the only one. Regards to all .
I had the mirena put in a little over a year ago. Started having joint pain about six weeks later. Tried to deal with it but it has gotten so bad, my whole body hurts, all the time. Got blood work done for Reumatoid Arthritis. Came back negative. Has anyone else had this problem?
I've had it for 18mths now.Had spotting,irregular bleeding,but my periods have drastically lessened,the bleeding-and no PMS now at all...Be patient,and don't blame the Mirena for all other health problems you have,please!! Do your med check up and don't connect things like bone pain and hair loss with Mirena-it might happen to one in a million,but then-it happens to people who don't use the Mirena,too.
Best of luck to all!!
I had the Mirena for 5 years, I had loads of symptoms in the beginning but they cleared up after a while except that I have lost all my sex drive, Hubby is very disappointed.  I was told by the Gyno that it is really bad to stop periods for such a long length of time and now at 42 I have started early Menopause, my periods never came back after removal, I have only had 3 in the last year.  If you haven't yet started your family, be very careful about choosing the Mirena.
i had the mirena put in about a month ago and i haven't had any issues with it. i do still have the spotting and the cramping occasionally which my doctor informed me i'd be having for up to 6 months. i haven't lost my sex drive (if anything it's increased), no acne of any sort, no weight gain and no horrible mood swings. as of right now i absolutely love the mirena. i don't have to worry about shots (i hate needles), remembering to take the pill or inserting a ring once a month. just have to get checked once a year. i think this is one of the best forms of birth control i've been on.
actually i was just on the mirena website and all the side affects that most of the women are telling about are listed there. including the acne, mood swings, cramping, bleeding and weight gain. arn't these typical side affects for ALL birth control options besides abstinence?
i am a mum of 4 i am 28 happily married ive always had all the sideaffects of the monthlyz but with excesive bleeding twice a month, i was going to get the marina put in but after reading both myself and my husband said no way ive had cin2 [cervic cancer stage 2 lasered] plus ov cysts that burst and i cant walk and just vomit and i do hav a very high tollerence to pain  ive had pills and injects not to get pregnant even took pills to stop the bleeding which no one gets preg on but me hello baby num 4 come now 7 mnths so got an 8yr,5yr,3yr+7mnth and after reading my husband said no way he is going to hav athe snip anycomments more then welcome kylie
after i had my first child i got the merina stuck in. ever since i got it stuck in i been feel sick and i been having headaches and even having cravings and i been having hot and cold flash and i'm not even 20 yrs old yet. could i be pregnant or just the flu? or is the merina bad to have in or should it get it taking out ?
i want mine to be removed... i keep getting yeast infections. i have had it almost a year... i hope my hair does not start falling out like everyone elses... i have never even checked on it or felt stings like everyone else says they have.... my husband used to say he could feel it at fist and now but after a few weeks he said he didn't feel it anymore
Wow, after reading the side effects i'm really not wanting to get the merina. I've always had the super heavy periods and bad cramps since i was in 3rd grade. So me and my doctor have discused getting me onto some form of birth control to help lighten and shorten my periods because i will be 18 soon and my parents are against birth control, which then i can get it myself. I love the idea of how it could make periods almost vanish but my question is, is it really worth it? Ovarian and all types of cancer run in my family and that is a super high risk factor for me. Some say it works perfectly and others have had serious complications. I have no kids and i don't plan on it untill i'm 25ish, hopefully. At first this seemed like a great idea till i read all of these comments about it (I think i like the commercial better). Hopefully these side-effects don't remain forever with all of you and maybe with everyone complaining they will improve it more.
Wishing you all the best. I'm off to do more research!
I am 41 and I am done having kids. My husband already had a vasectomy, so I got the Mirena to help ease my very heavy periods. It's only been a few weeks and so far I am not happy with it. From the moment it was put in, I have had constant cramping and can already notice mood swings in the past week, along with little to no patience towards my loved ones. I already have alot of bloating in my lower abs. Before reading all of these posts I told a friend "I feel like I'm two months pregnant!" I have also have constant spotting and can't go without a pantiliner. Two of my girlfriends with the same situation(done having kids & hubby fixed) that talked me into getting it seem to have no complaints.One said she spotted for 3 months to the date and had cramps in her legs. She said her Dr. told her to take a multi-vitamin and eat a banana daily for Potassium. She said after a week or so of that, cramps went away. Overall, everyone's body is different. I will give this 3-4 months and if things aren't better I'm getting it out and looking into other procedures to reduce the super heavy periods. As far as a few of you mentioning not having insurance, call your Dr. or a Woman Care and ask what the $$ would be to have it removed. I would think it would be the same as an examine. Or go in and tell them you want the pill, which they have to give you and exam and ask for it to be removed then. Also, when I asked my Dr. if it could come out easy and she said only one patient came in to get another Mirena put in because she thought she left a tampon in from the day before and pulled the string...out it came. I have no idea if that could do damage...maybe a Dr. could tell you. Good Luck all and trust your body signals!
I ve had the iud one year now. 3 months ago I started my period, ITS STILL GOING!!!!! I went to the Dr. he said everything looked normal. This was just a side effect.  Anyone else investing stock with tampax???
Wow, I had no idea there were so many possible side effects to the Mirena.  I had my second Mirena inserted just about 2 years ago and in the 7 years I've used Mirena now and I have absolutely loved it.  No side effects, no periods and no PMS have all been such a blessing to me.  I love it and can't imagine using any other BC.  My periods used to be so heavy and painful I would miss work and after experiencing multiple side effects with the pill the Mirena has been a life saver for me.  
Hi there i had my merina put in about 7 weeks ago i love that my period has stopped except alittle spotting here and there my question is i have lost mysexdrive and my breast are tender has anyone else experience that and if so how did u take care of it. I went for my 6 week check up and the doctor said everthing is good.
I had the Mirena put in March of 07.   I had discomfort when it was put in, no worse than a regular pap.  I spoted regularly for 6 months or so.  That was very aggervating.  Since then I rarely haver a period and if I do, they are very very light.  I do plan to have it removed soon only because I want to start trying for a second child.  If I am blessed with a second child after the birth I will def. have the Mirena re inserted.  I love it and so does my husband.  I am thankful for no side affects!
I had Mirena inserted this passed Tuesday....I had read all the posts on this site and another..needless to say I was concerned and talked to my Doc befor the proceedure. I was so nervous I was expecting so much pain...It never came....I have had 3 children with none of them did I get any pain killers..it was painfull all three times...this felt no differant than an extra long PAP. I have a little spotting but my Doc says that is normal because the Mirena thins out your cervix. Very little cramping almost not even worth mentioning. I hope the comments on this page don't deture any one from getting the Mirena IUD....everyone is differant and any concerns need to be discused with your doctor...he/she will be honest with you...my doctor was more than happy to talk to me about all my concerns and even asked if I wanted to take more time to think about it...Now I just cant wait till the day of no menstral cycle...that will be great....not to mention the fact that neither my husband or I needed to go in for surgery. I am pleased...
getting pregnant or having HORRIBLE side effects while using mirena is VERY freaking common. i have searched MANY web forums about women being on mirena or were using it. MOST women have major health issues caused by Mirena. if at all possible try a different birth control. use the SHOT. id rather gain 5 pounds rather than gaining 30 lbs and another baby! or worse...becoming pregnant and having a miscarriage. or becoming infertile. you pick.

i have had mirena close to a YEAR and my periods late by 5 days. (i never miss one.ever. not even on any other BC) and that dumb doctor of mine said she couldnt find my mirena. (hate her) and im all sicky and terrible pregnancy side effects have started. if im pregnant im going to be one very upset woman!
I've had Mirena in for a year now and I am 22 years old. Before Mirena I had a large sex drive; afterwards I went to having absolutely no libido. Shortly after I started bloating out and putting on weight. It has gotten to the point where I'm bloated for all except maybe 2-3 days out of the month and my belly is usually extended. I get nausious often, my acid reflux came back because of the bloating, I get migranes (migraines), and I keep getting a lot of pregnancy symptoms for about one week out of each month (I'm assuming this would be when I would be having a period; I have only had one period since having Mirena inserted). I've had violent mood swings for quite a while now and I'm tired of feeling so sick all the time. I have no energy for my son, and now I'm even experiencing shortness of breath when sitting down even, and my heart is starting to race when sitting down or laying down. I stumbled upon this post because I'm tired of feeling like I'm going out of my bind wondering about various pregnancy symptons that I have been getting every month. I had all ready figured that the lack of sex drive and leaking of colostrum were most likely from the birth control, but I had no idea that there were so many women out there that have been feeling like we after getting Mirena inserted; it was an immense relief to know that I'm not going crazy over my worrying about those symptons. After finding this, I decided to research Mirena a bit further in order to decide whether I should keep it in or not. I found these side effects listed: # migraine, focal migraine with asymmetrical visual loss or other symptoms indicating transient cerebral ischemia
# exceptionally severe headache
# jaundice
# marked increase of blood pressure
# severe arterial disease such as stroke or myocardial infarction, sespis, ovarian cysts, breast cancer, Abdominal/pelvic pain

Vaginal discharge

Nausea

Headache

Nervousness

Vulvovaginitis

Dysmenorrhea

Back pain

Weight increase

Breast pain/tenderness

Acne

Decreased libido

Depressed mood

Cervicitis/Papanicolaou smear normal, class II

Hypertension, migraine, vomiting, anemia, dyspareunia, alopecia, eczema, pruritis, rash, urticaria, abdominal distension, altered mood, hirsutism, edema.

I've decided that for me personally, the side effects are not worth it. I did love the fact that Mirena took my periods away (a couple times I did have labor-like excruciating pain though), as I am one of those women who have long pains with excruciating cramps in my left thigh that radiate all over. It can be good for women who have bad period issues.

Someone made a comment about how young women should consider some other form of birth control as Mirena is too strong for our bodies, and I found that interesting. I did notice that those with the strongest complaints about Mirena were in their mid-twenties or younger.
Thanks for all the info.  Was doing research to make a decision on maybe getting Merina.  I am still not sure, but I liked all this info.  I do not have the options of any of the oral, patches or shots for birth control-- and I am pretty sure 2 kids is my limit--so this was an option to consider.  I was excited about not having to have surgery but all of this info does not sound so good to me!!!   To many side effects!!!
i had the mirena put in about a month ago and i haven't had any issues with it. my doctor informed me i'd be having spotting and the cramping occasionally for up to 6 months. i haven't lost my sex drive it's increased lol but no acne of any sort it actually cleared it up, no mood swings and the weight gain im in the military so we work out all the time but since i had my baby (6 months ago) and moving to a new section with new work schedual i havent had the time to work out like i use to so i picked up alil weight but as of right now i absolutely love the mirena. i don't have to worry remembering to take the pill which im horrible at. ive have never been on birth control due to the fact i taught it was unnatural (Religious resons) my baby is my blessing but bad timing and im doin it all alone but ive felt my strings after my 1st period for the 1st time but before then i couldnt so i couldnt i freaked but i have my 1st 6 week apointment check-up coming up but no complaints but ill keep you posted but frm ive heard nd what i been told i know ppl who has had the IUD in for yrs and LOVE it if its cutting you or your partner go get checked out and if your doc says its fine go else where because you really shouldnt feel it if you bad cramping or excessive amount of pain get checked out it may have been logde in your uterus everyone is different i was laughing giving birth and that was with out the drugs so when i was getting the IUD put in i felt nothing lol i jus cramped up the following day doing my job lifting over 75 lb boxes so it may not be for evryone but you will never know if it works out for you so good luck to all and sry for the ladies who has had mishapes bettr luck in whatever else you choos but do your research and make sure you talk to your doc nad make sure THEY actually know what they are doin cause you really dont want to be "set-up for failure" (sry alil military joke) its your body and its your temple take care of it  get checked up when your suppose to if you havent had any children its not really ment for you believe me i been doing my research on every sort of BC and this is really the best one i have found
I had the IUD inserted the second time after my second child.  At first I was having horrible cramps all the time and felt like I had a bladder infection.  I went to the doc and every thing was fine.  I decided to keep it in and try to make it work.  My period returned after I stopped nursing and ever since then I've been feeling so tired, been getting sick a lot, feeling cold, foggy headed, just like I'm getting the flu but I'm not sick.  I thought at first it was diet related so I changed my diet but things aren't getting better.  I'm going to get the marina removed and see if that helps.  Anyone have similar problems?
Hi I have just had this form of contraception inserted yesterday but now im really worried as im wondering how effective it is actually against getting pregnant as I have 2 beautiful girls and my husband and myself are very happy with 2 but the pill didnt work for me so have tried this do u think it is full proof against pregnancy ????
I've had the Mirena for almost 2 years. I've read the panflet and asked lots of questions. I was assure by my doctor this form of birth controll did not affect weight or moodt swings.He even went as far to give me some samples of the Nuva ring (wich has similar hormones) to do a test run for 2 or 3 months. I seemed to be fine so we went ahead with the Mireans. (aprox $330 CND) later, I had my new worry free b/c for the next 5 years! It did not hurt me to have put in although it did cause bleeding at that moment on the table. I left and was fine. No pain and the bleeding stopped.
I ended up with spotting though off and on for nearly 8 months. Sometimes during embarassing intement moments when I thought it would be fine.  The spotting slowed and dissapeared over time and now I havn't had a period in months.
The  DOWN SIDE NOW: I've been overly emotional, just like when I was pregnant. my hair still falls out, and I put on 20+lbs in the firt 5 month of having the IUC and it refuses to come off, with diet and exersize. I am bloated 24/7 and can look 6months pregnant at times.
I used to suffer from migrains as a teen, and even though they had gone away, they are now back more freqent. I have to wonder if there is a connection. But one thing I am certain of : I had great skin for the 1st 24 years of my life. Now since having the Mirena, I have been breaking out like mad. non stop, right when i think it's cleared up and going to be ok, i get another batch. Perfect skin to consistant  Acne for well over a year now.

I don't have sevear abdominal pains like some women here, but the weight, acne, and depression and  anger swings, are becomeing a  little much.

I have a docotors apointment on Oct. 14th. I plan on discussing this with him and deciding if there is anything to do.

I am saddend at the thought to have such a relyable semi permanant b/c taken out. But  for me I might just go back to the NUVA RING. in my opinion it's the next best thing. at least I can take it out my self. and I don't need to remeber a pill everyday, or get painful injections that are needed ever 3 months. and once the injection is in, your stuck with what ever side effects for up to 3months before they wear off if it isn't right for you.
well i got the mirena on sep 8 i have spotted every day since then wandering how long it gonna last? My thoughts is that it has hormones that are released in your body just like all the other birth controls and your body just has to adjust and then your side effects will go away maybe? I have decided that Iam going to wait till at least the 6 month mark or the bleeding to stop? I have been getting dizzy alot latley and getting the bad headaches i would be sad if the doctor told me that i had to take my iud out i like it inspite of the bleeding also i have been on the depo for 2 years and i loved that u had no period i had no wait gain and really didnt have any side effects as for feeling depressed i think it in the med that in all birth control and it just effect some wemons hormones like that. Iam wandering about the mirena though i do check for the string and find it easily i did have bad cramps that i couldnt walk for like the first week but now they okay i sill do have little cramps here and there but over all i like and would suggest if your interest try it i was very nervouse and took my time deciding on getting it put in it a big decision as is any decision thatt has to do with life and you health.
i just got the iud today and so far i do not like  it. i wish i would have read these comments befor i got it. as soon as i got it i can feel it in me and had cramps and tired and cranky. if it doesnt get better soon im getting it taking out!
I live in England and I've had the mirena for nearly three years.  I have gained excessive weight which I cannot shift. Mood swings, feeling bloated and looking six months pregnant is now the norm.  I wished I had done my research. I lost all the baby fat 6 weeks after having my baby and had the minera fitted four months after.  I didn't want any more kids and believed my gynaecologist.  We all have different reaction to medication.  For me it has been adverse and I am arranging to have it removed asap. For those who have benefited from Mirena, don't slag off those whose body had adverse reaction to it.  It has been a bad experience and wondering if anyone in England has had the same adverse effects I've had.
I have had the Mirena for over a year now, and I hate it! I had a severe headache for the first couple of days after it was placed, then I had no problems afterward. Well, 6 monthes later, I start getting periods for weeks at a time, and I get severe cramps where I almost black out and I get sick, and can not even walk. The past month it has been getting worse. I'm currently going on the third week of this period cycle and it's now slowing down one bit. I have also developed a lot of clots the past few days. I'm thinking I may go to the ER and have it removed ASAP. I do not think these side effects are normal one bit. How is it good for your body to bleed this much? Sorry if that sounds gross, but I'm just curious if anyone has had the same problems....
After having the Merina placed how long do you have to wait before you can have intercourse?
Before having the Mirena inserted I did quite a bit of research and was extremely frighted of it after reading so many horror stories regarding breakouts, decreased sex drive, numbness in the limbs, and weightloss.  However, I knew I did not want to have any more children and I tried the pill for about a year, but not only forgot to take it but suffered terribly from Melasma all over my forhead and cheeks as though I was pregnant again.  After speaking with a girlfriend who raved about Mirena, I decided to go ahead and give it a try and much to my delight I have found it to be a great decision.

Apparently 5% of the users of Mirena have the same complications many have shared in this discussion.  However, I just wanted to share mine because I have had the device for a little over two years and fall in the other 95% of users without complications and I think it would be a shame if the only feedback women got was negative.

Although insertion is suprisingly unpleasant...having gone through natural childbirth without the use of drugs I would never say painful or even compare it too childbirth...and I did encounter some cramping and light spotting for about a week after insertion..as well as the wierd feeling that something was in there...but overall I have been extremely pleased with this little device.

Approxiimately 1 month after having Mirena inserted my periods went from lasting 7-10 days to 1 or not at all, and bleeding is very slight, just enough to give you peace of mind that you are not pregnant.  I also found that the bloating, cramps, and overall moodiness that accompanied my periods completely vanished.  I have not had issues with weight gain or break outs and have found that my sex drive has actually increased. However, I think what I have experienced as the best side effect is my moods have become more stable.  I became pregnant as an older women, in my late 30's and ever since having my son 5 years ago my moods just never seemed quite the same, as though my hormones were permanently hijacked and I was stuck in a perpetual state of puberty.  However, around a month after insertion I found that I am finally back to my old self...even my husband has noticed a huge difference.

I hope those reading this do not base this important decision just on the bad experiences of others.  I  must admit, after reading horror stories I was terrified after having it inserted I needlessly spent the first three months paranoid that every little problem was caused by Mirena...actually looking for hair-loss or acne. I even mistaked a bout of food poisening for cramps and almost had it removed because I thought it had perferated my uterus! Boy was I embarrased.

In short....it is an extremely personal decision so do the homework, listen to others with a grain of salt, and give it a chance if you think its right for you. Believe me, it really can be a wonderful form of birthcontrol....if you fall in the other 95% of course.
i have has the mirena for almost 2 years . i had it inserted after giving birth to my daughter. i have not had any complications at all and love the fact of not having anymore children till i am ready .
yes you gain alittle weight but that is normal with any form of birth control. the cramping happens for me only at the time of my period. having the iud has changrd my life not only for the fact i have a slimmer chance of getting prego but because it gives me time to go to school and figure out what to do with my life. im happy with the fact that at this time im 22 and have one amazing child  and can make the decision as to when i want to have it taken out . so it kinda like i have a say as to when i get prego and by who .
if you have questions ask your doctor . everyone reacts diffrent to this product.

purely satisfied
I have had my Mirena for about a year and a couple months. It has been WONDERFUL=) I suggest it to everyone... I still have a period for about 5 days long and i dont kno if thats suppose to happen bcuz most people on the mirena dont have a period but i do.. Wish i didnt but i do=( But i have 1 son and thats all i want for how young i am and i dont want anymore for about 5 years so thats why i chose that Mirena=)
I've had the Mirena since July of '07, have checked the strings at least every month with the speculum (what someone so eloquently called 'the duckbill thingy).
  Endless pms symptoms the first year; cramping, nausea, irritability, increased sex drive, 'pregnancy mask' (tan patches on face with little exposure), very sensitive pms boob, sometimes spotted but seldom a period.  These weren't worrisome because our sex life didn't include penetration.

The next year & a half was better, no bleeding but pms hell for a whole month every other month, no penetration without condoms in our sex life.
Boyfriend gets vasectomy 5 months ago and we got distant during recoup time, we're both busy and have career lives, live separately, so whatever.  

This last couple weeks I've noticed a slight baby bump on my flat tummy (not pudge- The Bump) lots of spotting this last month (3x) and gained 5 pounds when I haven't gained anything this whole time. I've had sex once this year, 2 months ago. Once!  Protected even... are those lame 'strings' meant to poke holes or just make our partners fear/hate sex?

Eff this ish.
  Hpt = positive, I'm going into clinic tomorrow & if I am ???
  Hope this & my next post help others choose another form/s of contraception since this one is an EPIC failure invented by men who hate women.

I was wondering if anyone knew if you got pregnant on the merina how would you know and if you took a pregnacy test would it even show up that your pregnant????? I'm showing signs of being pregnant but I took a test and it as negative...but I was thinking if you got pregnant it goes to your tubes and it wouldn't show up enough HCG on a pregnacy test to tell you your pregnant!! Can anyone answer my question?
if you think you're pregnant test. the test won't be affected by the mirena.
Yea, i got the mirena in feb. 2010. Its now May 29th 2010 and i have already had so many problems such as, absolutely no sex drive, bloating, constant violent mood swings, major cramps, backaches, i had a period for the first 3 months bein on it and now i havnt had a period in a month. Im having so many pregnancy symptoms that i had when i got pregnant with my daughter. And to top it off i just found out that two friends of mine that have mirena are pregnant. O yea im trippin now!!!  I have a doctors appointment on the 8th should i just get it removed and try sumthin else?
Any advice? Hit me up on facebook or just email me shae_kristine92***@****!!!
I had the iud put in at the end of march. My hair is falling out, no cramps actually no period since june, is this normal or could I be pregnant? I had my tubes reversed and was wondering if I could even use this type of birth control. My dr didn't seem to be worried about that, but now I'm not sure if im pregnant or just tired and bloated from no periods. I know over time your periods could stop but mine were so heavy I find it hard to believe they could just stop within a few months?
I'm 19 i got the Mirena on my 6 week check up after i had my son. this was about 6 months ago. when my doc placed it i did have a few cramps for like 5 hours then they went away. but ive also been getting really bad migrans ever since i got it placed. and im wondering if the IUD has anything to do with that??
if anyone could help it would be awesome!
thank you~
meg
I'm 33 yrs old, happily married and blessed with two precious girls. I had Mirena (10yrs) inserted inside me on Sept 30, 2004 after my second girl. October 2010 will be my 6 yr on Mirena. I haven't had any problems with my Mirena for the past 5 years. And I'm very thankful for it.

I have a friend who also have Mirena inserted inside her..she was on Mirena for about 2 months then she started to have severe headache, abdomen cramping, lost so much weight..and her skin look so pale most of the time. Mirena doesn't work for her...it cause her too much problems. So she have it taken out. Couple months after it was taken out she was back to normal.

To all those who have been having problems with Mirena..please do have it taken out before something bad happen to you. Find something that will work for you better.

Kaye77
I just got my Merina out! It was the worse experience EVER!!! I had it put in about 8 weeks after I had my son. I bled for 3 months straight after getting it. Had horrible cramps, mood swings, bloating, headaches, and gained Soo much weight. I seriously look like my 6 month pregnancy pictures. After doing more research on it, my husband and I decided it wasn't worth the pain I was going thru.
CAN ANYONE HELP ME? I HAVE HEARD ABOUT A RECALL FOR A CERTAIN BATCH OF THE MERINA BIRTH CONTROL. HAS THERE EVER BEEN A RECALL DONE IN TENNESSEE???????????
I have had the marina about 4 months and so far so good... I have known 2 different people that have had the marina and have gotten pregnate....
I had the coil fitted 3 years ago,i checked it regulary and have found out this month after going to the doctors that it has disconnected and is now at the top of my uterius or in my abdoman,so to me if your not sure about it dont rush into it think long and hard.I now have an appointment to go and have a operation to remove it where ever it is.
Well I just had Merina put in today, I actually don't have much choice for birth control since I was on the pill 5 years ago I got a blood clot. So the pill and shot are not an option for me, my doctor was telling me it has something to do with estrogen in birth control that can cause blood clots, so Merina was my only choice as far as birth control, I was reading all these comments and side effects and I’m hoping things go well for me since its the only thing I can take to prevent pregnancy, I already have a 16month old so I’m very cautious with getting pregnant please everyone wish me luck! I really need Merina too work for me!!! --Stefanie
I have had Merina for 8 months. I am having it TAKEN OUT. I have severe pain like i'm having contractions. I felt for the strings and there was a hard mass around the area. It hurts bad. Also I get sick to my stomach all of the time for no reason. I have had 3 kids and thought this would be a worry free way to insure no more babies. It is not worth it for me!
im going to the docter tomorrow to get it put in me and the reason for that is when im pms'en i stay on for like a year i get the depo shot and it still dont work i bleed evey day none stop so after reading all this im kinda scared now but i have to dew sumthing to stop the heavy bleedin
I'm really wondering about all these dramatic stories of horror about the Mirena.

As with all invasive procedures, there are possibilities of complication.
If you take the steps to prevent the obvious, the incidence of complication is quite low.

Check your strings, regularly. (Wash your hands!) And feel on up there.

My doctor will not insert one prior to 10 weeks postpartum (after you have your baby) because of the increased likelihood of your body expelling it if inserted before then. Your Cervix needs time to close.

Go to a reliable obstetrician to have it inserted; they put in many, and are experienced in ensuring it is done properly.
The hormones involved with the Mirena are in very low doses comparatively to the pill. If you are experiencing weight gain, mood changes, and other symptoms associated with hormonal birth control, then know that all birth control pills have a much higher dose of hormones than the Mirena. They will likely make your symptoms worse.

As for the cramping: You will experience slight discomfort for the first little while, as well as spotting. This goes away, and  seeing as you have had a child already (right?! If you haven't, don't get the Mirena!) this shouldn't be an issue in comparison to contractions.

Don't get the Mirena if you have a known uterine abnormality, i.e: "Double Vagina", or if your Uterus is abnormally small or misshapen.

Again; Check your strings.

Also: Your Uterus is sterile. If you're sticking stuff way up your yahoo, or your partner is blowing air into your vagina, you could end up with preventable complications. And don't douche, regardless of having an IUD or not. Your Vagina is self cleaning, and is naturally acidic. Douching interferes with the natural PH balance and increases the risk of infection.

I've had absolutely no problem with my Mirena, and I have had one child, am 26, have Polycystic Ovaries, have tried *every* birth control method there is. It works. This is the best if you have had a child, no question, in my opinion. I especially like not having my period.  
The Mirena will not make you feel old. Having a new baby makes you feel old.

There is an exceptionally small risk of complication in otherwise healthy, ideal women. But there are always risks when you are interfering with your body, regardless of the situation.

Last thing: Don't listen to people on the internet. No, not even me. Go to an experienced obstetrician and let them tell you about it. They went to school for all of those years for a reason.

i am 17 and i just got it inserted today.i suffer from endomeetriosis and i have very very painful craps where i cant move. my dr told me to get mirena cause it will help with my pain. but now that i got it inserted im hurting just as bad (yea i new id have some pain but not like this) is there anything that will help for the pain? like heating pad or something?
I saw your note about joint pain and thought I'd write. I had the Mirena put in and after a year (exactly) I started having major joint pain everywhere. They can't figure out what it is. I've been tested for all kinds of stuff, acts like rheumatoid arthritis but didn't show up in blood tests. Did they ever figure out what was going on for you?
I would tell anyone even considering the mirena not to do it. We found out the hard way. The doctor did not tell my daughter she needed to a have a blood test monthly after the she got the iud because it effects your hormones so radically it can cause the onset of Type 1 diabetes.  She felt so bad after getting it, she went back 3 times and asked the doctor to remove it and he told her she would get used to it. Her sweet personality changed, she wanted no physical contact with her fiance, she had zero energy and then her blood sugar went to 500 ( could have caused coma) we rushed her to the hospital and found out she was type one diabetic. All of this happened a few weeks before her marriage and before starting medical school.  I called the doctor after all of this and He was like well how is she doing!! Well how the Hell do you think she is doing?? Three shots of insulin a day, one hormone shot a day and always having to ck. her sugar level. Everyone go to the web site Mirena and diabetes( some of you might think twice) I would consider a class action suit against this company if anyone else is interested.
Why are doctors so quick to dismiss that the problems stem from the IUD? Being doctors, they should know that not everyone reacts the same way. Just because scientific studies reflect that the chances of side affects are small doesnt mean that they are obsolite.I origionally got the IUD because I had severe cramps, contractions,while on my cycle. Since then, I have had cramps and severe shooting pains down the side of my leg, a dull feeling from where my kidneys would be, and cycles consisting of chunks of blood. When I talked to the doctor she acted as if everything was normal, and as if she is disappointed that I want to take it out! I mean my gosh...all they had to do in the first place was prescribe me naproxin, wich is what I was given after transport to the ER for contractions at an earlier age, instead they act as if people are going to the DR to get "drugs" and end up suggesting worse options for you according to clinical studies. I am soooo upset. Anyhow, I needless to say I have an appointment to get it taken out about a week from now.
hi, i have also just had the mirena inserted due to very heavy periods.. so happy to have read all the above as it has not even been a month and my legs are swelling everyday, my stomach which is usually nice an flatish is now really bloated, i have a dull ache down my legs and i cant touch my bottom or legs as they are so sore... i have been very moody also, like i am constantly due on my period, and i have just asked my daughter who is 11 have i become moodier??? very much so was her reply.. i am due for a check up in 2 weeks and most certainly thinking of getting this removed... has anybody else had the leg swelling and bloatedness????
Learn to spell. Hair not hear. Did your ears fall out?
try homeopathy for your endometriosis and remove the coil away
I've had mine in for two years and it was great for the first year and a half.. But then I had some excessive weight gain.. Like 25lbs in a month! And I had gotten down to 125lbs after baby (I weighed 175 while prego) and now I'm almost at that weight again and I'm eating healthy and my dr can find nothing wrong with my diet or exercise activity. I'm getting it removed ASAP! It also has a play in some major irrational anxiety. This however doesn't happen to everyone. It's been effective but now it's just not for me! I'm trying to get essure which is a non evasive starilization method!
I have a few questions about merania, i have 2 kids and do not want anymore EVER due to the fact i am a carrier for Dyshenne Muscular Dystophy. My second son most likly has it. Well I've talked to my doc about sterilization (sry if thats spelt wrong). He wants to do the procedure where they place a coil in each tube but he said that they can be placed wrong or fall out. They may not cause the growth in the tubes like it is supose to, but that sounds like purposly causeing a tumor, right?

My mother in-law has merania and has had no problems. After reading some of these stories posted here i dont know if i want it now. With the balding  and it falling out of place. If your the kinda person who for lack of better words, like it rough. Can that cause it to fall out?

My doc dose not want to cut/burn/tie my tubes he wants to place the coils in my tubes. I just dont want to have another baby i do not want to watch another child suffer the way my second son will and eventually die. your kids should out live you.
thanx and any advice will be helpful.
I have had marena for a little over a year now, my period has gone away completely, I still get cramps every month but no spotting or bleeding.  Lately I have been extremely emotional, over everything.  I have also been feeling really sick in the morning, lunch time and in the evening when I'm laying in bed, trying to sleep.  Has any one else felt this way with the IUD??
it is very helpful & your Dr is right by doing the test first before inserting it because if the right procedure is not followed correctly then is won't work.
I have it now for 2.5years now & its works wonders *wink*
I had my insertion done on the 8-11-12 and havent stopped bleeding since, I'm really concerned not sure if this is normal. Any advise??????
My doctor has told me not to let my partner check cause he may take it out and not notice