Birth control effectiveness reduced by antibiotics and time switch?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Two main questions:
I was prescribed medicine that my mother picked up, meaning I was not asked about birth control or anything else. I had just started taking Alesse for the first time and was only one pill in when I received the antibiotic (amoxicillin). I took it concurrently with the birth control for only two days, at 250mg a pill, three pills a day. I was then told I didn't need to finish the remainder of the pills, so I took my birth control normally every night at 10 30pm for the month without missing a single one or being late once. My period came as normal. Should that month be okay even with the antibiotic that is supposed to potentially reduce effectiveness?

My second question is about daylight savings time. I finished my first pack on Sunday a week before the "fall back". I usually take my pill at 10 30pm so I was unsure whether or not I should continue to take it at the same time or compensate for the time shift by taking it at 9 30pm. Either way, having forgotten to change my alarm time, I ended up starting the new pack at 10 15pm (which would have been 11 15 pm before the time shift). Will this decrease the effectiveness in any way, and should I continue to take the pill at 10 15, 9 30, or 10 30? (sorry if this is confusing)

I'd appreciate any help you could give me as I tend to worry about these sorts of things and I'm going home to my boyfriend this weekend and so would like to know before hand!

Thanks so much.
You were told you didn't need to finish the amoxicillin?  Someone was sorely misinformed.  You always finish the prescribed course of antibiotics.  

I'd go another month before trying unprotected sex on your birth control pill just because certain antibiotics can reduce pill efficacy up to 1 month after taking it.

Just take it at 10:30 as usual since it's a new pill pack.
I would do which ever time is easiest for you remember.  You do need to take it around the same time but an hour won't make a difference.  At the very least I would use a spermicide just to make you're protected up to two months after antibiotics.
Shannon79 commented on photo
jugglin commented on photo
Jade59 commented on photo
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals