Bladder infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Bladder infection

some background information: I'm eighteen, have been sexually active since i was sixteen, have had the same partner for a year and a half, i have always had issues with yeast infections.
For around the past nine months i have had ridiculously recurrent bladder infections. I have been put on a couple different antibiotics, week-long treatments, but within two days after the treatment has settled in i have another infection, often worse than the last. I drink at least 3 L of water a day in order to keep myself from being in extreme amounts of pain, and I also take cranberry supplements. I have had an ultrasound and cystoscopy done, both of which came back normal. A urologist offered a prescription for those same antibiotics i keep taking, but enough that i can treat myself whenever i feel an infection coming on. I will take a course of antibiotics to GET RID of the infection, but NOT to treat it. I also don't think that you randomly break out in a series of seemingly incurable infections for no apparent reason. HELP. i don't know whats wrong and quite frankly, doctors don't give a ****.
also, there is a VERY strong egg-like odour when i urinate. it's getting to be embarassing. please help me
ugh i forgot one more thing that may also be important. in these past nine months it seems that sex is becoming slightly painful, but in this time i've also had my pap done and it revealed that nothing was wrong with me.
Well if the infection "comes back" not even a couple days later, then you never got rid of the infection to begin with. I'd make another doctors appointment and ask for a stronger anti-biotic. Also, painful sex can be caused by a number of reasons like vaginal infections, yeast infections, vaginismus, endometriosis, cysts on the ovaries, STDs, injury, etc. Talk to your doctor about what may be going on. If you haven't been tested for STDs yet, you may want to do that as well. Hope it goes well.
thing is, i told my doctor that the bladder infection was coming back within days and they prescribed the same thing. i have been tested for STD's, i'm clean. i'll try to talk to the doctor again though, thanks
It could be a UTI that is from a bacteria that is anti-biotic resistant, though your doctor should have sent in your urine sample to be tested to see exactly what type of bacteria is causing your infection. If it was the resistant strain, they should give you a different anti-biotic. When you go back to your doctor, ask if they sent in the urine sample. Also, when they get ready to prescribe you anti-biotics, ask what they are prescribing. If it's the same one, tell them you've had it before and it hasn't worked, and ask what else they can give you. Make sure to speak up and keep on top of your doctor. There are many different types of anti-biotics, so make sure to get a different one and see how it goes. Good luck.
thanks. i know they've sent in a couple of the samples, but is it possible for antibiotics to just not work in some cases? I've tried about three different week-long treatments and none have worked, and when i mentioned a longer or stronger dosage my urologist said it wouldn't work, though i've read in numerous places that for people with infections like mine it's the only thing that ends up helping.