Bleeding 12 years after hysterectomy
What could be the possible reasons for vaginal bleeding when a woman has not had her uterus or cervix for nearly 12 years? In 1994, I had a total hysterectomy (removal of my uterus, cervix, & one ovary). My cervix was removed because of pre-cancerous tissues. I began experiencing a vaginal discharge in Nov. 2005 after recommencing sexual relations after abstaining for six years.  Also in Nov. 2005 I noticed old blood coming from the vaginal area (it was brown) and a slight smell.  I thought maybe the sex was too hard. I was checked in December 2005 by my general practitioner for STDs and HIV.  All the rest results came back normal and/or negative.  The smell and discharge decreased; almost faded totally away.  But now in January 2006, although I have not had intercourse since November 2005, I began smelling the smell again and the discharge has increased.  It has changed in its look and consistency.  It has been white, milky, but lately it has been somewhat watery.  Recently I had a rush discharge where I had to run to the restroom. There was blood on my dress.  The blood is pink.  I went to my primary care physician who said I had a bladder infection because she thought I was bleeding from my urine are and she prescribed an antibiotic.  She did not do a pap smear.  I went to a different doctor later that day and she did a pap smear.  She confirmed that I was actually bleeding from the vaginal area, more specifcally I believe she said from my vaginal cuff.  I am nervously and anxiously awaiting the results.  What are possibilities?
What was the outcome?
I am 27 and had a FULL hysterectomy 1 year ago, because of extreme endometriosis.  I was disabled for weeks at a time it was so bad.  I'd finally had to quit my job, and I woke up a few days later to the worst pain i've ever had.  My husband rushed me to the doctor.  My doctor was very concerned and said my uterus was extremely swollen.  We discussed that after years of treatments, that didn't work, that it was time to get serious about the hysterectomy.  The pain was so bad I had daily morphine injections until my hysterectomy could be done in 2 weeks.  I was also put on bedrest unless I was at the doctor, or shower.  Hysterectomy went great, felt so much better!  6 months ago I started experiencing pain again, some discharge and some spotting.  My doctor found a cyst, and scheduled a laporoscopy.  When I woke up from that, my doctor was standing next to me.  He showed me some pictures (He used a new technique that dye is put into your IV and it lights up the endometriosis so that it can ALL be seen easily) Everything was lit up.  He said he had only seen this much endometriosis in two women, and he's been a surgeon for over 30 years, and is also in the top 5 surgeons in my state.  All of that had come back after a full hysto, and within  a year.  I'm 3 weeks post surgery now.  I'm still in a lot of pain and am very swollen.  But my doctor said this recover will be long and painful since he had to burn/laser so much endometriosis.  I basically had my whole pelvic area burned and scraped.  The bleeding can mean several things.  The most common I have heard of is the vaginal cuff ripping and bleeding, endometriosis, or an infection.  Hope that helps a little.  It's something that would definitely need to be checked out by a physician.  If you have a physician that is saying "nothing is wrong" it's time to find a new doc.  I had years of that before I finally found mine during an insta care visit, he diagnosed me at 22.  And has been great ever since and helping me through all of this.  It's had to find a good doctor, but don't give up!!!!!  There are good ones out there that are sympathetic and caring!  
Hi,   I'm reading these articles because after a DNC that was suppose to stop the bleeding that I had from hormonal implants.  It's been 10 months since I stop those hormonal implants and now I have break through bleeding again.  It's been 80 days since my DNC which stopped the bleeding immediately and now it's back.  I'll be calling my doc on Monday but this is crazy.  I'm 61 years old and going through this.  If I could get my hands around the neck of the Nurse Practitioner who talked me into taking those dam implants I would choke her.  I had NO PROBLEMS from the age of 53 when I started menopause until she talked me into them at the age of 60.  I was so stupid to buy into her BS.    
I had my hysterectomy and ovaries were left in because my dr said it would be better since they were healthy and that way my body wouldn't go into premature menopause  in December 2012, its been almost a year now. I noticed this evening that there was a light almost pink color of blood after I went to the bathroom. It has me worried, so I went to my mother who had her hysterectomy in June of 2005 due to ovarian cancer and at that time they removed a 17.2 lb tumor from her. Ok back to the story i'm getting offtrack here. Anyway, they did my hysterectomy because I had 12 tumors, heavy bleeding (so heavy I could go through an overnight always extra large pad in less than an hour, and my iron levels would drop to 6.2 causing me to be hospitalized for blood transfusions I was severely anemic. I asked my mom saying that this is really scary I thought that when you have a hysterectomy you no longer bleed and now I am she said well it isn't normal but just watch and if it gets worse we will get me back to Des Moines where I had my surgery and that is 4 hours away. I have seen several comments because the time span has been years but has anyone had this problem so soon and was it serious? I am scared right now.
I went on this website because my wife is having the same problems so many of the women who have posted here are experiencing. 20 years post hysterectomy and now recently experiencing sporadic spot bleeding. I have been a practicing chiropractor for 28 years and have learned NOT to get over reactive, but now that this is happening to my wife it concerns me. I was extremely frustrated that there were no answers or solutions on this site so I found a website that I will quote from....

"Causes of bleeding after hysterectomy are: vaginal dryness, “mini periods,” menopause, and insufficient hormone replacement therapy. Vaginal dryness, a common side effect of hysterectomy, makes vaginal tissues thinner and more prone to bleeding from sexual intercourse or other irritations. One can even develop fissures, or cracks, in dry vaginal tissues that cause bleeding. “Mini periods” can continue if you had a subtotal hysterectomy and the cervix was retained. Essentially, a tiny portion of uterus remains, and as the ovaries continue to cycle, that small piece of uterus continues to shed lining just as before. Menopause also still comes to those who have had hysterectomies but retained one or more ovaries, and the hormonal changes might cause vaginal dryness and slight spotting from time to time. Similarly, hormone imbalances from insufficient HRT (hormone replacement therapy) can cause the same types of issues.

Any unexplained bleeding warrants a trip to the doctor, just to be sure. Even if there is no pain and spotting is light, you will want to rule out cancer or precancerous conditions for your peace of mind. A quick pap smear or biopsy will let you know if any abnormal cells are present and further investigation is required. If it is simply vaginal dryness, estrogen cream or lubricants might solve your slight bleeding easily. Silver nitrate treatments applied by your gynecologist directly to bleeding tissues can also clear up the problem quickly."

This information made the most sense to me based on my medical background and I hope it helps all of you women out there searching for an answer.  God Bless.

I had my uterus an cervix removed 7 years ago because of precancerous cells. I had my ovaries removed in May of this year due to endometriosis. I have been to the hospital two times for vaginal bleeding, I would spot after too much lifting...started in August. Tests were ran, no STI's or any other inferction for that matter, even had a MRI with no findings. This morning, November 3, 2014, around 4 am I go to the restroom and notice bright red blood with a few clots. I am officially scared. I am happy to see I'm not alone, but I am still concerned...for us all.
I have read many post about women bleeding years after a hysterectomy. I have had it 4x....I saw my primary, gynocologist, urologist, 3 trips to the emergency room....no answers....numerous test....finally 2 weeks ago I went to urgent care for same systems...extreme lower back pain, bleeding in the urine and scared! Finally a doctor try to put a diagnosis to my problems...sent me to a urogynocologist...I had to have a cystoscopy in the hospital and I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis plus I had a hunner's ulcer. I have been scared for a year I had some type of cancer. Ladies...don't wait...go to a specialist. I know it is frustrating when no doctor can tell you what is wrong when you know something is! Good luck
hello everyone my name is Prissy
8 years ago I was having really bad pain and the pain i was have was nothing like if i was having my a baby so i went to the hospital and like always they tell me nothing send me home the very next day there i was again this time the Dr comes in and say are you sure your not a drinker i look at him and said yea I'm 1000% sure he tells me my pancreas is very in LG so i ask him what to i do and same story take these meds and you need to see a Dr thats just for that so i called and went to my ( APT ) when the Dr came in he ask if i drink or do any drug i said no so he tells me to relax he's going to take a look at my pancreas he then say sweet why are you here your pancreas is fine why are you taken meds that you don't need so he tells me to wait in the waiting room and he's going to call palm west hospital to fax him everything they did when the fax came in he says to me and my mother come on back that we need to talk in private when i got in the room he looks at me and say sweetie you have a Endomertiosos and its a Mass he tells me not to wait to find a OBGYN right away so i start calling around i find one they said come on in right away they start doing all kind of thing blood work and everything else well he then tell me i need a Hysterectomy i said okay i already have my kids one boy and one girl so i ask him will the pain go away well like every Dr tells you what you want to hear so we get everything ready for surgery right away well well well when i woke up from recovery in the hospital they tell me not to move or get out of bed so i said okay the next day my Dr comes in and says OMG our 25 years old but your inside look like if you are 70 years old its bad so then he removes my dressing to see if everything okay well from my belly to my knees i was all black so i ask him what the hell is going on he say I'm okay okay my *** sorry but true so then 3 months later i start having kidneys problems never had kidneys problems in my like the pain i had from before is far from gone and now i have pain in my kidneys lets not forget i have a 5 year old boy and a 2 year old little girl i all so need to be there for my Dr never give me any hormone replacement nothing at all now here i am in Aug-2013 i was starting to think I'm going crazy my family did understand what was going on my kids or my husband i was driving everyone crazy every day and lets not for get i lost my health insurance because my Dr said my surgery was a per-existence case so they drop me and now my Endomertiosos can back and its all over my origins I'm 32 and don't know what to do because nobody cares every time i go to the Drs i pay anywhere from $500 -$700 per visit the Dr said i need surgery again i look at her and said i don't got it i can't and today when i go to the rest room i have blood I'm a little worried with some one could help i try calling the Dr that did my surgery and asked him did you know it came back and its all over my origins he starts say yes i been knew but i didn't want to worry you hello *** hole this is my life my kids my body so I'm asking somebody on this page if anyone could help me and tell me why I'm bleeding thank you
I had a  complete hysterectomy in jan 2013, today when i went to the rest room I noticed that i was bleeding. The blood is pink but I have no pains. I m 49years old. Should I be worried.
Call U of Michigan-- Ask Dr jOHN O Delancy for a doctors name.  He did my repair after a horrible hysterectomy.
Just came back from my Gynocologist... I was bleeding after having a Hysterectomy almost 2 years ago.  What happened was there was a growth called Granulation Tissue which is common after surgery.  During sex it can become inflamed and start bleeding.  What she did is take a biopsy (to make sure it is OK) and then coat it with silver nitrate to close the wound...check back with her in 2 weeks and she will make sure it is healing (or healed)...
Hi Ladies,
I had my operation 17 years ago I was 23 years old then and I am now 40, I also had pinkish blood on a tissue after having sex with my husband, it was also quite painful.  Like all of you I was concerned so I came on the internet looking for answers and again like others have posted no one seems to have come back with any real answers, so I am hoping I can help a little.
Firstly let me say if you have experienced any of the above please see your GP, now I did that after not getting any real answers on here, so last Friday I went to my GP she was great went through the usual questions, I like many others on here also had a swab done this was uncomfortable at the time however she explained to me that apart from the obvious things like infection, after many years our vaginal wall thins out you may even experience internal dryness this is normal she gave me a cream to insert every night for 2 weeks and twice a week there after, I am also going back in 2 weeks once my swab results are back to then go on HRT this should then resolve the issue of the thinning and any dryness.
She did confirm that while she was doing my swab that there didn't seem to be any infection which I am hoping just leaves the HRT option.  Yes like any women I am concerned about the swab showing anything else but please see your doctor and discuss these issues I am thankful that my GP was helpful unlike other ladies that have posted on here and seem to have unhelpful doctors.
I hope that me posting this has maybe helped others with what the answer could most likely be and to reassure you that not everything is bad.  I promise to report back when I have my swab results back to confirm that it’s not anything sinister.
Remember  please see your GP.
I was told by my Dr. that it was vaginal atrophy...a thinning of the wall linings of the vaginal area.  It happens and not to be alarmed.
My mom had a total hysterectomy in the early 80's. Since then she has had to have her bladder tacked 3 time due to the fact that the tissue would shred and her bladder would fall. The third time the doctor used pig skin grafts and it has held. That was about 12 years ago. In the last 6-7 years she has bleed bright red blood daily to the point that she has to wear a light pad. She has been to she her ob-gyn many many times. He's not sure why she is bleeding. He has catherized the are repeatedly to try and stop the bleeding. It's not helped. She hasn't had sex in about 4 years. She is very frustrated and we are looking for answers.
I had a hysterectomy 22 years ago at 36, now 54 I'm having blooting, stomach cramps, pink spotting and sex is agonising so have given up on that too. I'm terrified. I really don't know what is going on.
I still have both overlies, one of which has a 4mm X 6mm cyst on it.
I've been to the doctor once about 4 months ago just discussed the cyst which she said wasn't a problem, but now I have the spotting and the pain. It even hursts sometimes when I wee. My insides feel like there falling out sometimes.
Has anybody got any ideas on this as my doctors seems useless.
If it was me I'd really want to push my doctor to do more testing to make sure that everything is okay with both your ovaries and to know exactly what is causing your problems.  I think (I'm not an expert of any kind though) if they do an internal ultrasound they should be able to tell if your cyst is larger or if there is anything new (like a cyst on your other ovary).  Don't want to scare you but my doctor told me cyst on my ovary was almost certainly nothing (even right after surgery to remove it) but the lab report said otherwise.  This is the type of thing that it's much better to be safe than sorry (plus if they do a check of everything and you come back fine then you will have peace of mind).  Again, not trying to scare you - it just sounds like you are not getting an answer/solution from them about a legitimate problem you are having.  
Dearest Prissy, I went looking for help with why I had vaginal bleeding after total hysterectomy 11 years ago and I read your heartbreaking story. It has been almost a year that you posted it. How are you now? your condition sounded life threatening. I am praying you are still here on Earth, and God bless your brave family.
Amen to that! I was wondering the exact same thing!
Total Abdominal Hysterectomy 1990.  Noticed faint signs of blood on toilet paper.  Also noticed that I had a discharge which was clear in color. Basically the same as the lubrication our bodies generate when preparing for intercourse or we're sexually aroused.  Went on for several weeks and had my yearly check up the week before.  Went back and he did cultures and they all came back negative.

It actually stopped for a month and started up again today when walking and noted 2 fairly large spots in the undies.

A couple of things... I have had blood labs which show minor issues with kidneys/bladder. He gave me a slip to have a clean catch done, which I will do this week.  

I am using troches which are progesterone in nature. I do not take estrogens.

My gyn is one of the top oncology gynecologists in MD. He said not to worry about it. Asked if I was sexually active, which I'm not.... sadly.  

I'll do the urinalysis this week and promise to get back to let you know the results after I get them.
I had a complete hysterectomy 2 and a half years ago. ( not by my choice, my dr took it upon himself to decide for me). I have had MAJOR PAIN AND BLEEDING EVER SINCE!! I have went to 2 urologists and a 3 gyno's. Also have had 6 cat scans. Still no one can give me an answer as to why this is happening. I just need answers. if someone knows please help.
How do these "criminals" get away with this - robbing us of our sex organs and our very selves?!?! I am 8 years post-hysterectomy and am still horrified and appalled by the actions of these so-called doctors.

Do you still have your cervix? If so, that could be the cause of your bleeding. Did/do you have endometriosis? Sometimes endo on the vaginal cuff can cause bleeding. So can vaginal atrophy.

Pain can be caused by any number of things and is next to impossible to diagnose (as you have discovered) - nerve damage, adhesions, infection are a few that come to mind. You could have a hospital acquired infection that is hard to diagnose and treat. And doctors and hospitals hate admitting to hospital acquired infections because some states require that they report them and they are fined. And any doctor is hesitant to admit to poor care by one of their peers. I know how frustrating it is to hit dead ends all the time. I wish I had some suggestions but I don't.

I had bowel problems post-hysterectomy (along with a whole laundry list of after effects) and the first words out of the gastroenterologist's mouth were "they were not caused by the surgery." Hmmm, well then why did they start right after the surgery when I had never had these problems?!?
I am 47 years old.  One January 28, 2011 I was diagnosed with breast cancer of my left breast.  I was immediately placed on chemo therapy for 18 ks, then under went a partial mastectomy and reconstruction of both breasts.  Then the long road to radiation treatments everyday for 11 weeks.  From my very first chemo treatment to present time, I have not had a single period.  I had a total hysterectomy fresh off of the radiation treatments.  Several years prior to this, I had two cases of cervical cancer of which both times I had minor surgery to remove the cancer cells successfully.  I had also suffered as a teen with very heavy periods and endometreous (spelling?) I gave birth to three children, miscarried 4.  Needless to say, I have a long and extensive history of OBGYN issues.  Some where in the middle of all this, I also under went a bladder sling surgery.  Now for my current issue.  Three weeks or so ago, I started feeling bloated, cramps, back ache, moody, just like I was about to get my period.  I shrugged it off as I told myself, that is absurd, as I have no lady parts.  Three days ago I started to notice a very dark discharge on my under garments, like old blood.  A very pungent smell.  I am cancer free, but ever since my diagnosis I have had nothing but health issues from depression,several broken bones of the back and knee caused by thinning of the bones, chemo brain (anyone who has had chemo will know what that means) I get sick if someone sneezes on me, too many to list.  I am scared to death, I can't take another diagnosis that just ***** the breath from you lungs then floors you.  Forced meno pause has taken its toll on me as well, hot flashes that make you think you are going  to burst into flame from the inside out.  It gives me some hope to know so many others are having the same issues.  Pray for me as I will be praying for you as well, I will call my dr in the morning.
I feel your pain Weezy, as I am a cancer survivor now for two years and I also take tamoxafin and some other drug I can not pronounce let alone spell.
Unbelievable that we are all experiencing similar issues. I am 56 years old and had a complete hysterectomy in 2008. I also had a vaginal tear repair (vestibuloectomy) at the same time. Fast forward to 2014. I have never had issues with any bleeding during sex until I got involved with a new partner. He is 16 years younger than I am and the first time we had intercourse I bled. Pinkish red. I thought it was strange and thought maybe because the sex was little rough. When it happened again I immediately went to my nurse practitioner in gyn office. All she found was some adhesions and did a pap. All was ok. Christmas eve had sex again and as usual I was bleeding. On the 30th my underware felt wet. There was Brown, old looking blood but it did not continue and the odor was that of blood. The next day the same thing happened but it looked like there was tissue or a clot or something and the smell was offensive. Last night sex again and alot more pink red blood. I feel a bit crampy and I am so incredibly sore. I am scheduled to see the nurse practitioner again for an ultrasound and exam on 1/6.  I really don't have problems with lubrication but I am thinking that the bleeding could be from atrophy.  I will certainly give an update as I am just as perplexed as everyone else as to those who do not update us with their findings.
Thanks so very much for letting us know what your results were.
A simple fix for a very frightening problem. I, too, am 58 and had my
hysterectomy 25 years ago so I was quite alarmed when I saw bright
red blood this morning! WTF? I have enjoyed NOT dealing with that!
Fortunately my girls leave supplies at my house. Now I guess I can't
blow off going to the doc any longer...
So did you ever get an answer?  I to was looking for the answer of spotting long after a hysterectomy.
If there's a large amount of scar tissue, that alone can cause pain, my mother went through the same thing and the doctor had to go inns remove some of the scarred tissue.  That helped her.
Hi all,

How sad it is to see so many posts on one topic, on a surgery we thought would end our pain and bleeding. I had a partial, only left my ovaries, at age 31. Seven years later I moved house and that night was in agony (a week ago now). Then came the bleeding. A week and the pain hasn't altered so I rung my good ol gynie. I had surgery two years ago as I was bleeding from a large amount of granulation tissue at the vault. So he sent me for an ultrasound. The lady, wonderful medical radio, so a doc, who's done many of my scans was so worried about the pain I'm in, did a thorough check and the only finding was my sigmoid colon is stuck to the right hand wall of pelvis (should be on left) but nothing that would cause the bleed and pain was obvious, I had the hysterectomy due to severe adenomyosis (endo within the uterine wall) and endo. They left the pco ovaries due to my age and I'm allergic to the pill. Anyway, I digress, she rung my gynie got through to theatre where he was about to go to his last patient and suggested I needed to be in hospital for pain management. She thinks the lifting has resulted in me tearing adhesions from the pelvic wall. He told her he'd call me that night, yesterday. He still hasn't called a day later and now it's the weekend. I can't stand straight, walk, taking my dad's old pain meds from his cancer treatment as I cant get in to see my GP. Working from home, from bed but have meetings galore next week. I'm spotting again but it's the pain. Any ideas?
Thank you for the update. I am shocked to hear that your mothers endo came back. I am also an Edno sufferer and I had a complete due to this reason when I was 24 and I am now 41 with the same symptoms. I am going to explor this avenue. Again thank you and I wish your mom well.
Hello Everyone,
               I am 42 yrs old and in 2009 I had a hysterectomy w/the removal of my cervix and my left ovary. As recently as last week I experienced for the first time some vaginal bleeding. Of course it was the weeked, so I called my gyn and he told me to go to the ER and upon examination the ER physician who was moonlighting meaning just there to stabalize a pt so they won't die told me that he saw scaring on my cervix and I should get checked for an std. This was after I told him about my hysterectomy, my mesh and other surgeries and that I had been married for over 15 yrs. I was appalled to say the least. To make a long story short I came home and this was the first sight I found to help me understand what could possible be wrong. I did follow up my gyn and everything is A ok. All test came back negative. He told me that is was normal for me to experience some bleeding and discharge at certain times and that I may need to monitor my stress levels and my diet. Also think about looking into using vaginal creams.  I just wanted you all to know how informative and helpful these comments and posts have been. There are physicians that look at you as just an insured patient and nothing more. We have to help each other and I want to just say Thank you!      
My aunt has suffered bleeding like many of you women she is very scared. I stumbled upon this site on accident and it has really helped my aunt, she is not as scared as she was but she is going to contact her G.P to find out the source. Thanks to all the women who have posted their results on here because it has really helped.
lea
Thank u so much for the reply I think it will be helpfull to alot of us
I know this is an old post but as I had a concern myself and didn't see any answers but just concerned women I wanted to say to those who are searching for comfort go to google search type in Brown discharge NO pain -8 years post op | Hysterectomy hystersisters .I hope someone will be helped even if just a little by this.(Revelation 21:3,4)
I found this blog helpful but agree with comments no one came back to share this experience post testing. So I hope this comments helps readers.

I had a partial hysterectomy 15 years ago, due to severe endometriosis, and I am now 52. After surgery I retained my left ovary and cervix. A few weeks ago I experienced a bloody discharge. As many state here, it was quite scary when you no longer have a uterus. A few days later another discharge but this time yellowy and tinged brown. Then after urinating the tissue was tinged with brighter blood - barely noticeable but frightening because it was brighter; thus another change. unlike the other posts,  I did not have any unpleasant odors. Throughout this process I was in touch with my Drs office awaiting the weekend for my appointment. It is true, if you have any blood post your uterus being removed it MUST be investigated but there are many causes.

I have a bacterial infection called vaginosis which is being treated with an antibiotic gel. During this process bloodwork was drawn to elevate my stage of menopause. I learned that I am post menopausal which means I am no longer producing estrogen. The dr explained the vagina needs estrogen to clean out the typical bad bacterial and vaginosis can be common for women who no longer produce estrogen. As stated, the gel was prescribed to rid the infection but my question was, " how can I prevent this going forward?"  The dr prescribed a low dose estrogen pill that you insert into the vagina twice a week. since the hormone is inserted directly into the vagina it is not absorbed into the blood system like other hormone replacements.

I sincerely hope this post helps as I too was frustrated there were no results posted. However at the same time comforted by how many women were going through the same situation.  

Good luck
I am searching for answers for my questions, and I stumbled upon this site. I try not to google too much because the internet can either fear you or calm you, however I am glad I found this site. I had extreme bleeding for about 1.5 yrs before i had my first ablation. For the women who have gone through this, you'll understand how the bleeding takes over your life! Then the bleeding stops, and you think you can cope until the next time you bleed again. I had my first ablation March 2012 with the balloon thermal procedure. Since I had the Essure procedure done in 2009, nova sure ablation was not approved for use with the Essure procedure. In March 2014, I was heavily bleeding again. To rule out endometrial cancer,  I had uterine and cervical biopsies, which by the way, hurt like #*^$&. The tests results were benign and i was calmed. To help reduce/stop the abnormal bleeding and because my doctor is very progressive, he gave me three options to help with the bleeding: do nothing and wait for menopause ( i was about to be 50 in 2014), have a hysterectomy or a second ablation: a novasure procedure. Usually doctors only perform one uterine ablation, however, my doctor knows my medical history, and believed a second one would be safe. I chose a nova sure ablation. Before he performed the procedure, while i was knocked out with versed, he did a D&C on my uterus. Those results came back positive.  Less than 1% of women have a false negative with uterine and cervical biopsies. I was diagnosed with complex hyperplasia without atypia. This time my choices were a hysterectomy or Provera -the med that stops cell growth. If i chose Provera though, the doctor warned me that if it didn't work, I would be in a life-threatening situation within a  year. That decision was a no-brainer -  chose the hysterectomy however I was also prescribed Provera. On Feb 18, 2015, I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy - removing my uterus, cervix and fallopian tubes. My recovery has been great, and I feel wonderful. It's amazing how we women get used to all the bleeding, and when it stops, the anxiety stops, the bleeding stops... you just begin to feel 'normal' again. you feel in control of your body and more important your life again. This past week, though i've notice after urination, that i think there's a slight pink tint. but then again, after so many years, you get used to seeing pink/red/brown all the time, so i thought it was in my head. this morning, i realized it was not in my head; I am bleeding again, red fresh blood. I called my doctor, and i have an appt Tuesday, May 26, which happens to be my 51st birthday. how ironic is that ~groan~  I am calmed only by the fact that my bleeding wasn't urgent enough to warrant an immediate examination.  I have no symptoms of infection, i haven't had sex since my surgery, and i am not in any pain. after reading some of y'all  posts, i feel better thinking that my post-hysterectomy bleeding may be a kidney infection, bladder infection - perhaps something that isn't serious. I just want my bleeding to stop! i am back to wearing a panty liner. there isn't much information on 12 weeks post hysterectomy bleeding, and I don't want to do much researching because as I stated earlier - the internet can calm you or fear you. I have been on an emotional roller coaster, and I just want some emotional peace and relaxation. i am trying not to think too much,and  wait until Tuesday for my exam. it's going to be a long memorial weekend though. thank you to the women who post their experiences - it helps.  
Hi nikkiGDM - thank you for your recent post -  your answer gave me information that i couldn't find for my bleeding 12 weeks post hysterectomy. itis mostly years post hysterectomy, and although yours has been serveral years, your bleeding due to low estrogen, and a bacterial infection has calmed me - that perhaps that's what i am experiencing now.  thanks for writing about your experience.
Hi, I think you are right. The Brownish discharge can be dryness. And especially after sex, the minimal blood mixed with body fluid will come down eventually. Ovestin cream can do wonders, ask your doc about it. It will keep you internally healthy. Regards proper bleeding (red blood). This shouldnt happen after many years,  following a hysterectomy, and therefore should be investigated asap. Dont allow yourselves to be fobbed off. Especially if anyone still has their ovaries.  Ovarian cancer kills, its very hard to detect, therefore not a high survival rate. Ask for an emergancy appointnent with the doctor, and all tests be made priority, regards results.
My daughter who is 33 had a total hysto at age 25. Before this she had approx. 17 lap surgeries because she suffered from sever endometrios and polycystic ovaries. Her tubes disconnected and had to be removed first. Since the hysterectomy she has suffered from chronic pelvic pain cause unknown. The doctors assume it is coming from the scar tissue and each time you go into remove it then more will come and it is a harder substance. So we have sworn off let another doctor do that. Now this last year about every third month she will experience an increase amount of pain and bleeding vaginally. this first time it happened we went to the ER because she had a sudden onset of head pain and loss consciousness. The findings after the cat scan,ultra sound, pelvic and the the doctor stating well the blood has to be coming from somewhere but I am not sure where. The loss of consciousness sometimes when your pain gets to great your body will shut down. The cat scan show nothing so I am going to go ahead and discharge you follow up with your GYN on Monday. So our next step was a visit to the GYN who's reply was "Well there is nothing left in there that I can help with you need to see maybe a general surgeon. Next trip to general surgeon whose response is No this is pelvic pain and bleeding you need to see a GYN. So we continue on and it still keeps happening no one knows why and no one seemd to think it urgent enough to do anything about. We just came home from the er yet again a couple hours ago with the same results. My daughter explains the pain like something inside is ripping. Each time the is more pain and more bleeding. Thank you all for listening and letting me know that there are more woman out there with the same issues so that at least I know we are not alone!
I am totally surprised to hear that no Dr. has found out is wrong with these ladies. I have friend who is going thru this same thing. I myself had my hysterectomy at a very young age but I so far have Not had any problems, I'm not 71 y.o. I was a nurse and I will check around to see if someone has an idea of what could be wrong.  Pj

Not sure how to post to this thread so I hope this works.. I am 14 months post total hysterectomy( mine was due to fibroids which ended up being stage 4 appendix cancer). I have had some light blood on toilet paper upon wiping, also some feeling of urination urgency. With my history, I showed up at my doc office unannounced. I am blessed with a fantastic doc. She did urine test and an exam. I was told that since there is no estrogen in my body, my vagina is atrophying..the skin is quite thin and very dry..she compared this to the elderly and how thin the skin can get. It takes very little to cause a scratch or scrape. She recommended that I use a diaper rash ointment to help with dryness. Of course every woman should be proactive when there is any type of vaginal bleeding but the lack of estrogen does cause trouble for us. Estrogen is what keeps our muscles nourished and strong..the vagina is a muscle of sorts and that lack of nourishment makes it less tha perfect..I would never ignore these symptoms of course( I have an oncologist appt on Tuesday and will be bringing this up, even though my tests and scan show no cancer..praise God, just to be safe).. I hope this helps some
I know your question was a long time ago, but I have the same thing. My total hyst was done almost 2 years ago due to uterine cancer. I was moving heavy boxes at work and two days later I had some vaginal bleeding. That was yesterday, it stopped now, but should I call doc? What was your outcome?

thanks.
I am 76 and 42 yrs ago had a hysterectomy.     My bleeding/Spotting started a year 2014  after I had a Colonoscopy.Been to Gyn & Urologists /All test scans were fine. & PAP       I am wondering how many others had colonoscopys before they started bleeding........  Thought maybe there was a puncture somewhere as the Bowel is so close to the Vaginal area.  I get some brown spotting with pink.Passing gas sometimes feels like it is exiting from my Vaginal area.The doctors are not agreeing on this idea.( Of course I do understand why/ I need answers?    Looking for a connection!!!!
Sorry I know I'm replying to an old post but I to am having the same problem.
An I desperately need some answers.
Please inform me of your moms results.
Please!!!!
I have had a complete hysterectomy in 2006.
Last year I found out I have BRCA1.
So I had a double mastectomy.
I'm 33yrs old with a husband an 3 little kids.

Cancer is really strong in my family
I've lost 34 people in my family in the last 25yrs from cancer.

In 2014 found out my mom an her sister had cancer as well then they got tested for the cancer gene an both came back positive!

So I went an got tested!
An I desperately need some answers.
Please inform me of your moms results.
Please!!!!
Last year I found out I have BRCA1.
So I had a double mastectomy.

Cancer is really strong in my family

So I went an got tested!
Agree ! We need answers
Did you ever get diagnosis?
I am 1.5 months post total hysterectomy with one ovary left inside me. I was bleeding recently with old blood discharge and drops of bright red when urinating. I have been cautirized twice now. Bleeding comes and go, but all I can hear from different Gynecologist is just "It's how the body heals". I am never satisfied with their answers. I am planning to see my family docotor this week and see if he can refer me to an internal medicine doctors for a third opinion. I don't want to experience bleeding in my life again. I was bleeding for two years until my Gyne decided to go through total hysterectomy. But now, I'm back to bleeding. I'm 46 years old now and I am experiencing hot flushes and depression. My breast are tender and I don't understand why I'm having light headedness and blackouts from time to time. My bloodworks okey and urinalysis are okey too. Before my total hysterectomy, my biopsy came out negative. My recent pap smear is also good. I just don't know what's happening to me. Did someone here saw an internal medicine doctors?
I had a complete hysterectomy April 20015 due to cancer. Uterus, overlies, tubes, and the top of my cervix. Did six rounds on chemo starting in the hospital due to the cancer metastasizing in my belly and lungs, June 2015. I have had regular scans and check-ups since.

Late last month, Feb 2016, I noticed blood when wiping and in the toilet. The next day I called the dr and made an appt. Had a pelvic exam w/ a biopsy. Just got the result yesterday.

The cancer has spread to my vaginal. PET scan next, then the plan is radiation treatments and possibly more chemo.

This is the answers to my bleeding problem. I don't want to scare anyone, but get checked!
Please who is you doctor. My mum is having bloody discharge now. She has had radical hysterectomy like 4 years ago. Followed with episodes of occurrence. She has recently had a colostomy following severe ascites. Now she is having bloody discharge. We don't know what that might mean but perhaps your doctor can help us. Thank you