Bleeding 12 years after hysterectomy
What could be the possible reasons for vaginal bleeding when a woman has not had her uterus or cervix for nearly 12 years? In 1994, I had a total hysterectomy (removal of my uterus, cervix, & one ovary). My cervix was removed because of pre-cancerous tissues. I began experiencing a vaginal discharge in Nov. 2005 after recommencing sexual relations after abstaining for six years.  Also in Nov. 2005 I noticed old blood coming from the vaginal area (it was brown) and a slight smell.  I thought maybe the sex was too hard. I was checked in December 2005 by my general practitioner for STDs and HIV.  All the rest results came back normal and/or negative.  The smell and discharge decreased; almost faded totally away.  But now in January 2006, although I have not had intercourse since November 2005, I began smelling the smell again and the discharge has increased.  It has changed in its look and consistency.  It has been white, milky, but lately it has been somewhat watery.  Recently I had a rush discharge where I had to run to the restroom. There was blood on my dress.  The blood is pink.  I went to my primary care physician who said I had a bladder infection because she thought I was bleeding from my urine are and she prescribed an antibiotic.  She did not do a pap smear.  I went to a different doctor later that day and she did a pap smear.  She confirmed that I was actually bleeding from the vaginal area, more specifcally I believe she said from my vaginal cuff.  I am nervously and anxiously awaiting the results.  What are possibilities?
being that u still have 1 ovary, it is very possible you may have a cyst. i'm not 100%sure, but it's very likely, there is no other explanation, i'm sorry you are having to go thru this, i only have 1 ovary left also, and can only imagine what it's like to see blood. please keep me posted about the results. good luck hun!!
Thank you for responding.  I am waiting for my results.  And yes, it was quite alarming to see blood after all these years - and it was unpleasant.  It brought back the old memories of my HORRIBLE and incredibly heavy menstral cycles.  I will give you a report once I know next week.
Hi Chel4
after hesterectomy 15 years ago and at the age of 46 years old I am experiencing the same problems you are having, the only differince between us is I had a complete hesterectomy. I will be seeing a dr soon, new to my home with no established dr.
I had a hysterectomy 20 years ago at the age of 30, for the last couple of months I have been bleeding sporatically (spelling ?) the blood is bright red. Today I started bleeding heavier and noticed small clots. I am making a dr appoint. asap. This has got me some what nervous
Hi girls,
This is so weird.  I had a hysterectomy and BOTH my ovaries removed over 20 years ago.  Three days ago I experienced heavy vaginal bleeding and some clotting.  I was shocked to say the least.  The doctor I saw sent a urine sample away, prescribed antibiotics and wasn't particulary concerned that I was freaked out by this very unexpected incident.  I do have a urinary tract infection , the bleeding has stopped, but, WHY was I bleeding and where from?  I'm going to see another Dr. who will hopefully give me an internal pelvic exam to at least try to establish the cause of the bleeding.
I had a TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY 25 years ago  (pan hysterectomy)  I am 68 and have been having a vaginal odor and some clear discharge for about three months.  I cannot see the discharge, but asm aware of the odor.  Yesterday i bought tampons and inserted one last night.  When I removed it this morning, it was bloody with bright red blood.  Afer i removed the tampon, I got a bloody discharge.    My gynecologist is out of her office untl Monday, so hope to find out something then.
Hi Good Morning Everyone...

I'm new to this site and glad that I came acoss it.

I had a full Hysterectomy 13 years ago when I was 25. I was diagnosed with radical cancer of the cervix and due to my family history with cancer the doctor thought a full ( instead of partial ) hysterectomy was the answer. All the women in my family have passed from Cancer in their early 40's.
2 weeks ago ( and still present) I started spotting blood and having some discharge from the vignal area. I am extremely nervous about it as my mother also had a full hysterectomy and started bleeding after 20 years. She died 2 years later from rectal cancer that spread from her abdominal area.
I do have a doctors appointment but I am very uncomfortable about him doing a   pap. He makes me feel that all this **** is in my head... sigh~
i also had a full hysterectomy  about a year and a half ago and after realizing i had bleed on my underwear yesterday( it was bright red) I was hoping that I could get some answers before I go to the doctor. I'm a little worried and wonder if anyone has any ideas on what could be causing this.
What were the results? My mother told me she is having that problem and I want to take her to the E.R.
I too had a complete hystorectomy in 1995 no ovaries, about a week ago
i started spotting blood = went to my doctor and she used silver nitrate to stop the bleeding and told me to come back in a week - went back today and still bleeding she is sending off a biopsy - we will see what happens.

M J
I had a hysterectomy almost 2 and a half years ago. I still have both my ovaries. Today I noticed blood when I used the rest room. I have been feeling nauseous, but I haven't vomitted, but I get the feeling all the time. I have been also having pain when I urinate and I have been going alot. Could this be stress or something more serious?  I haven't made a doctor's appointment yet, but I will soon. I am scared it may be more serious than I think. Any Advice?
Gosh, it's been years since some of you posted. Didn't any one of you have the decency to come back here and report back, knowing other women will read this and struggle with the same issue and would come here looking for help?

There is nothing here but questions. So, what happened to all of you? What was wrong? Don't you think that would be helpful to those of us coming behind you with the same problem?
I agree, my mom had a total hyst, I believe last summer actually, and she occasionally has some bleeding and doesn't know why. Her gyno said nothing is wrong with her but it still happens and she doesn't know why.
no one knows what is wrong with me either.  I had a hysterectomy in 2002, and last August, i started bleeding.  I went to the ER, where they ran all kinds of bloodwork, and got strange results that they didn't seem to know how to interpret.  They also sent me for an ultrasound, which found nothing abnormal.  I was referred to different specialists, and since then, have been to 5 different doctors, undergone so many crazy (some invasive) tests, and yet, no answers yet.  Does anyone have any idea?
Some problem as all of you - I had mine done when I was 25 - now 52 -everything gone but one ovary. Got so bad I actually took my bloody underwear to the doctor. His response "Can't be happeninng - all the test say its not happening." I felt like telling him to keep the underwear to show other women what can't be happening to them. I actually went to the ER when it was so bad one time and the doctor took a personal call while his head was at the business end. 8 years later I'm no closer to finding out what "can't be happening" but its started again today. I say again becuase it goes away for a couple of months then starts again. I honestly don't know what the hell to say or do because it's all in my head according to most doctors!
I too am having bleeding problems after my full hysterectomy in 2000. I've been to 4 different doctors and have had 2 pap smears which both came back normal, The doctors say they can't see anything wrong and made it seem like it was alll in my head, one even suggested it  was hemmoroids but I know the blood is not comming from there, I feel stupid going to yet another doctor but I'm also afraid of what it could be, I also have little tiny bumps on my vulva. there seems too many women with the same problem for it to be nothing.
I'm having the same problem.  I had it about 2 months or so ago, the doctor sent me to the er, after six hours, the er doc said "I have no clue, you need to see a doctor"  Thanks for that!  It stopped so I didn't think much more about it until it started back 3 days ago.  Last time it lasted only an hour or so, this time has been three days.  The gynecolotist cannot see me until July 28, so I don't know whether to worry or not, but I am.

I wish someone, somewhere would have posted whatever they found out after these episodes.  I will for sure come back even if they say they have no clue.  I don't get it, how can the doctors not be able to tell what is causing it.  I mean obviously, if you are bleeding 10 years after a hysterectomy (which I am) then there is a problem somewhere.  I'm glad to know it's not just me, but I sure would like to know some sort of answer, even if it is a scary one.
I agree with the above posts..WHY all the questions but no one has an answer or has the courtesy to let us know what happened to them. It is personal, but you posted your problems, why not the solution. Many need your help. Do we go to the Dr or just ignore it and buy pads/tampons again???
Anyone????
I am very concerned to as to what has happened to the ladies that posted their problems and has not posted their solutions.  My mother had a full hysterctomy in 1993 and is having the same problem but she is afraid to go to the any doctor.  She needs a lot of medical attention and has done nothing at all just dealing with whatever happens.  She has lost so much weight too.  How do you get help with this situation?

Waiting Prayerfully
I don't know what help you can get for this situation as I came on to this site looking for answers too.  I, myself, had a radical hysterectomy in April of 2007 because of ovarian bloat and the fact that my uterus was grossly enlarged.  It weighed 5 pounds when it was removed!  Last summer I had to have laser ablation of pre-cancerous cells in my vaginal vault.  And just these past several days I've started to bleed from my vagina a bright red color with what appears to be tiny clots.  At first, I had a burning sensation and thought I was getting a yeast infection, but I've never experienced bleeding with one before.  Now, the burning is accompanied with blood that was first streaky and is getting more pronounced.  If, I didn't know better I would also say that I am having menstrual cramps, but of course this is impossible.  Since, it is Sunday night there is nothing I can do, but go to the emergency room, which I don't want to do based on the other posts I have read.  I am going to wait for tomorrow morning to call my ob-gyn and pray that he can get me in asap.  I don't want this bleeding to be anything serious, but I can't imagine what it can be.  I haven't had sex, so it can't be attributed to this.  I am not feeling any burning when I urinate or an urge to go frequently, so I don't think it's a urinary tract infection. Whatever answers I do or do not find I will come back and post them.
Thank you,
My mom had a complete hysterectomy a year ago and now she is having the same pain that she had before the surgery. She says that the pain is coming from her internal scar. Her gynocologist keeps giving her yeast infection creams, which doesnt help her at all, and he keeps saying that there is nothing left that could cause her pain and that the scar is healed. Well, things just got even worse because two days ago she started bleeding, and everyday a little bit more. She will make an appointment with her gyn. tomorrow. Hopefully we will find some answers.
This looks like a common problem. I had my Hysterectomy 10 years ago and yesterday noticed some brown spotting that has continued into today.
I had pre cancerous cells and fibroids prior to my H.
I noticed pain on one side inside during sex on Saturday and wonder if its anything to do with Menopause and dryness because Iv notice some signs of that happening in the last few months. Headaches and Blushing LOL
I'll go to the dr this week and report back here because Iv also noticed no one has come back with any follow up comments.
It a tad disconcerting to say the least, both to be experiencing bleeding after so long and the lack of return followup comments. Its unlikely Iv sprouted a new womb but I dare say miracles have happened before LOL
I'll be back. Save this page to your favorites lest you get lost and cant find it again.

Cheers Sharon

Hi.  I too had a total hysterectomy in 2001 at 31 yrs of age due to  polyps growing in my uterus. In the last few weeks, I have been spotting bright red off and on. I went to the doctor today thinking it was my diverticulosis flared up and she all but raped me with the pelvic, pap, rectal --- whole nine yards. I questioned if the bleed could be coming from my intestines being flared and she stated no-that would not cause me to bleed vaginally and besides my diverticulosis was fine.  All the labs came back ok but she did feel something the right side of my abdomen that she says is quite firm. She stated it could be a cyst, scar tissue something cancerous but until they further investigate we wont know so I will be going in for an internal ultrasound on 7/15. I hope it reveals something small and easy to correct because I'm not one to take "We don't know" for an answer.  I shall return to let you all know what I find out but until then let's stay strong and encouraged.
Well, I came back to give you an update on my mom. After she noticed the bleeding she tried to make an appointment with her gynecologist but he was booked for the whole month. I think it's crazy that he couldn't squeez her in because it sounded like a emergency to be bleeding a year after a hysterectomy. My mom decided then to find a new gynecologist.  Well, after a month of trying to figure out why my mom is having the same pain that she had before the hysterectomy and why she was bleeding, the gynecologist finally concluded that my mom probably has endometriosis. She prescribed my mom some medicine but if nothing else helps my mom will probably have to have another surgery.
I had a total hysterectomy in 2001. Last nite I spotted some blood and today I feel like I have menstrual cramps. I am seriously scared to death. The only thing that the doctor did not take was my appendix. Now, my normal doctor tells me he was supposed to have took that. I have adhesions on it and they were not able to pull them off. There is so many things that could cause vaginal bleeding that I dont even want to go get checked. It all scares me to death. I do have a doctors appt. on monday and I will come back to let everyone know what she said. This sounds like a very common problem with everyone. Lets just hope the results are good.
I am so happy and sad that I found this site!! For a year now I have had horrible lower left side pain. I had a partial hysterectomy in 2000, and in 2001 they took the left ovary.  Now with this pain, which is unimaginable, excpet for you all on here, I just started spotting.  I have had many test during the last year. Colonoscopy(2), mri, ct scans and blood work like crazy.  Nothing!! Now with this spotting, I'm hoping that maybe the dr can find somthing to get rid of this pain!! I'm scared to death though. It hurts down there so bad, sex is a big NO NO. And I feel sorry for my poor husband.  If any of you have recieved any answers please e-mail me at ***@****. I'm sorry we all have to go through this.  It seems with so many women having this that there would be a medical reason somewhere!!!!  Hope everyone gets better.  Jamie
HI , I had the hyst op 8 years ago, only to have bleeding and pain for the next two months. I returned to my consultant only to be told I needed further corrective surgery, the original sugeon had sewn up my vaginal cuff with the falopian tube outside( clearly visable inside my vagina). I was checked for eptopic pregnancy when the bleeding bacame heavy with strong pain and swelling- negative thank goodness.
Last week the bleeding started again with increasing pain, I saw a doctor who said he could see a 'dip' in the cuff and it was bleeding, he believed the repair site had come open again. I was given meds to stop the bleeding that pretty much worked but the pain persists and I am off work.
I must now wait to go back to the consultant and see if I require more surgery. I am very unhappy and really nervous as to the cause of this nightmare that I thought had ended with my hyst op so long ago. If this is caused by the original surgeons mistake then I think I may take legal advice! A hug and supporting thoughts to all of you going through similar probs after the hyst op. I will definately come back with an update!
OMG I cant believe all of the women that this happens to. I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago leaving an ovary and just started bleeding. It started out as a small amount then got worse. But it only seems to be when I urinate. I am not having sex now because it concerns both myself and my partner. I don't know what to do. I read some posts about going to the doctor and the doctor not knowing what was going on. And now am scared to go.
Hi - I am here looking for answers.  I had a complete hysterectomy four years ago, and earlier this year started having blood in my urine.  I had four back to back bladder infections that have all cleared up.  I saw a urologist who scoped inside my bladder but found nothing.  I am scheduled to see a gyno in a couple of weeks.  The type of bleeding I am having is very similar to period bleeding - most with the mild diarhea and mostly in the morning.  The blood is bright red and I pass clots a lot as well.  I have gone to ER on several ocassions because I also have a lot of pain in my right side - the docs always say its scar tissue, but that still does not explain the bleeding.  The urologist says that it could still be cancer, but the gyno will need to look closer.  He also said that if that doesn't work that my next step would be the GI doctor.  Now that seems scary.  My appointment is on 10/6 so I will come back after that to tell you all what the doctor says.  Good luck everyone.
http://www.healthhype.com/vaginal-bleeding-after-hysterectomy-surgery.html

I don't know if this will help anyone, but this is a cite that lists causes and symptoms of conditions of and relating to vaginal bleeding post hysterectomy.
I'm 21 and have a 52 yr old mother who's had chronic pain in her lower abdomen for over a year. About six monts ago she had her uterus removed and since, has had vaginal bleeding. (The blood was dry and brown). Although, this did not cure the problem of her chronic pain, it is either a further complication of her unkown condition, or like many of you, a symptom of post hysterectomy.
     I hope this link gives you some sort of peace, especially in knowing that you are not alone.

God bless
Crystal
I had a complete hysterectomy back in 1979.  I am 72 now.  In the past 6 months I have started spotting and bleeding.   I have been to my ob-gyn several times and she says everything looks ok.  She said after a hysterectomy and age it get dry up there and it causes the bleeding.  She gave me some premarin cream to use nightly for 7 days and then 2 times a week.  I went a while without bleeding but have started again, so I am back on the cream (the third day).  I am waiting till my week is up to see if it goes away. I will try to report back next week.  If it doesn't clear up, guess I will go back to by ob-gyn.
Wow..even the people who said they would come back for sure and let the rest of us know what they found out, have not come back..now I'm really scared..I'm having the same problem..total hist. 6 years ago..now I am having a bloody discharge with a horrible smell.  I haven't made an appt yet with my gyno..it will take atleast 3 months to get in to see her, since I have not been back since my hist.  I have been searching online for any answers and found this site..
If anybody knows what this could be that all of us are going through..please post it..those of you that have already seen a doctor..please post what they told you!!
I had a total laproscopic vaginal assisted hysterectomy and a oopherectomy removal of tubes and ovaries on June 30, 2010 and tuesday I started noticing light faint blood when I wiped.  I called my GYN and asked if this was normal being that its been 3 months and I was told it is not.  Also I feel like I'm having what is called a vaginal vault prolapse, which happens when you have a hysterectomy and remove the uterus, there is nothing supporting the vagina.  I am 53 years old and had a total hysterectomy done for a prolapsing uterus.  I have an appointment to see my GYN doctor on Monday October 11
Thank you for updating the reason found for your mother's bleeding. I had a partial hysterectomy 5 yrs ago. The uterus was removed but the ovaries and cervix are in tact. The entire surgery was done laparoscopically and recovery was quick. I was still nursing my baby at the time. A couple of months later, I had to stop nursing my baby due to breast pain. Within a month, I started bleeding. I actually was annoyed (I'd given away all my tampons) but didn't think much about it. The third time it happened, I casually mentioned it to my mother who freaked out. Went to my Gyn. and was told the bleeding was more then likely due to my having endometriosis. SInce I still had the ovaries, my body was still "cycling". The endometriosis would open and bleed all month and the blood pooled on the cervix. When the body gets the hormones that say "it's that time of the month", my cervix was expelling the collected blood. I was put on birth control pills to help it. After 4 yrs, I stopped taking the pill. Slowly, the pain has been building up. The pain on my sides and lower back are the old, familiar endometriosis pain. Recently, I had severe cramping and my stomach bloated out like I was 5 months pregnant. When I went to urinate, I was stunned to see a lot of blood. Worse, I had a lot of blood clots. So, it's back to the Gyn. for me. I'm a couple yrs late for my yearly, so I want to make sure nothing new has transpired. My appt. is next week. I will report back. Just wanted to share the fact that endometriosis will cause bleeding after a hysterectomy for some un-lucky few. My doctor even removed all the endometriosis he could find when he did my hysterectomy. Unfortunately, that stuff is like rust on a car...it just comes right back! Also, only see a GYN about this. It totally blows regular doctors minds. They try to diagnosis it as something else. My GYN knows that I know where blood is coming from. I did take some pics to share with him. Just in case he has forgotten that I am not crazy :=)
I now after almost 5 yrs now have started bleeding. I have a dr's appt on monday. Just scared to know what is happening. I had a full with ovaries being left, but no uterus or cervix left. And to top it off he removed more of the cervix then normal due to abnormalities in it. I am just hoping that it isn't anything to serious, but it is scary. I am now 39 and this is happening to me. Will keep you posted on what the dr says. unlike alot of people i will return here on wed next week to let everyone know what i find out. i hope more people do start returning, due to the nonresponses here, makes it freightening.  
I found some answers for this problem at www.wdxcyber.com/nbleed13.htm    a women's health  resources  site
I too had a partial Hysterctomy 3 yrs ago due to Major complications after giving birth to my son... My OB Dr didnt know that my placenta had grown through my uterus and while trying to deliver the placenta, i delivered my uterus instead... So went into emergency surgery where i crashed on the Dr 3 times and had to give me 12 units of blood.... About a year after having this done, i started spotting brown blood, asked my OBGYN and he said its normal to spot after having partial H... But now after 3 yrs i go to the ER for severe pain in my right side, which i been dealing with for several months thinking it was my time of the month.. and when i get to the ER Dr was sure it was my Apendix, and after a CT to our suprise i have Septated Complex Cyst on both my ovaries, which one is 7 cm on right side and left side is about 4 clustered together with thick septation ranging from 3-5 cm.... And The ER dr said the pain was soo bad because i have a bunch of smaller ones on top of the bigger ones and they rupture..So went to my OB and said to wait  3 months and put me on BC to see if they will shrink.. So 3 months went by had another ultrasound and they are still same size, so he said give it another 3 months and see what they do...so im waiting til Jan 2011 and do another ultrasound and see whats going on.. also in the mist of us finding all these cyst on my ovaries, they are finding cyst on my kidneys as well....sorry ladies, i kinda got off subject with the not just posting about bleeding after hysterctomy, but the cyst can cause menstural like cramps and cause bleeding as well... Hope i may have helped someone out on here, and i will keep everyone updated as soon as i find something out in Jan.....
hello i came here to find answer to my mom same problem : spotting and bleeding 2 years after hysterectomy but find no answers, today we went to the doctor and he found she had a wound which causes the bleeding he gave her a cream and vaginales capsules , just wanted to post this and hopefully give some answers to other women facing this problem
Hi! My mother asked me to look up the reasons for this, but although I've found many posts and questions, information about why it occurs seems slim so far. This is the most informative link I've found as of yet...

http://www.ehow.com/about_5375970_bleeding-after-complete-hysterectomy.html

Hope that helps a little.
Well, since I have no insurance, I was not able to see an ob/gyn as I thought.  I did have a colonoscopy since the doctor thought my bleeding was coming from the bowels instead of vaginal.  The test was normal.  Now, I am having the same bleeding and pain in my right side.  And it is like a period.  I'm not sure where to turn now.  The free clinic I go to can only do so much.  I hope everyone else is having better luck than me.
I have concluded that a lot of the brown discharge I am experiencing of late might be due to hormonal imbalances.  I had a partial hysterectomy in 1992, am 53 yrs. old and am going through menopause with hot flashes all hours of the day. I am a certified herbalist, training toward a Naturopathic Doctorate. I have studied this issue for a while, and know that when using birth control pills or hormonal creams, the idea and intent is to normalize female hormones to a "rhythm" during the monthly cycle. Even though you may have had your ovaries removed, your body still produces hormones from other organs, AND we ingest hormones from the food we eat, as well as the air we breathe every day. If all else is ruled out (i.e. cysts, tumors, tears, endometriosis, etc) then the only conclusion can be hormonal imbalance.  I am looking into natural herbal solutions for hormonal balance, as well as natural progesterone creams. Good luck everyone!
I also had a complete hysterectomy in 2003, after suffering severe problems from fibroids for several years and different procedures, and I'm now 59.  When they finally removed the fibroid, which was th size of a newborn, and everything else, even had some minor surgery done to to my bladder because the fibroid damaged that, too, I was fine, and had no problems for years.  But about a year or so ago, I noticed an occasional pink discharge after urinating, and I ignored it, but this past week, actual blood has been coming out.  Not all of the time, it's spotting, and mostly reddish brown, but I certainly haven't been able to figure out where it's coming from, although I do know it's coming from the vagina.  I like being able to talk about it here, but am disappointed that no one seems to have an answer.  I have a doctor's appointment next week and will bring this up, but all of the questions on this forum makes me see that even the doctors don't seem to know exactly what's going on.  I do hope that more people will come on this forum and post their results, this is a very difficult thing for us to be going through without having any answers.  I do promise, though, that I will come back and post my results.  Thanks to all for sharing their experiences
I found this page yesterday and found out this condition is not uncommon. I saw my gynocologist TODAY and she did an exam. What she found is atrophied vaginitis. She saw 'strawberry dots' where my vaginal walls were rubbing against each other.There were no polyps near the sutures; nothing had come apart.  I was prescribed a *vaginal) hormonal cream, told to take half the 'replacement treatment' dose and see how that goes. Barring positive results from my pap smears, I'm confident in what she dx'd IN MY CASE.
To the ladies who have posted before..please come back and share your results. You could help someone feel less alone!
I had a complete hysterectomy 23 years ago and started bleeding heavily a week ago.  I went to the ER on Thursday and was told it was most likely a vaginal varicose vein that had ruptured.  The bleeding had stopped and they did nothing, sent me home and said to come back if it got worse.  Today it got much worse.  I was bleeding through pads every 10 minutes.  After waiting in the ER for over 4 hours, and being told I would most likely not be seen for several more hours, I chose to come home and get some rest.  I think the diagnosis was correct, but now am wondering why they didn't cauterize it.  I work at the hospital I went to and will be filing a complaint on Monday.
Hi I am 34 years old and had a hysterectomy after my second son in 2003 & I was really good until about 6 months ago.. I am worried because I spot when I go to the bathroom.. not to mention my pelvic area swells up like I am 6 months pregnant. I am 5-6 and weight 140 pounds.. I hate it and I have pain there.. The pain is there all the time and mainly when I sit down or get in the car. Sometimes I get better and everything is ok.. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? I have an appointment on may 21st.. It is a sonogram.. I am freaked because I just had a mamogram and my left breast has hurting and they have found something wrong.. Oh Boy.. At least I am not alone & I WILL  get back to u ALL. THX AUTUMN
Hi,  My history is much the same a others. I am 65 and has a hysterectomy years ago. Light bleeding noted.  Only difference I had a breast cancer removed 2 years ago and am taking Femara to reduce my oestrogen as my cancer was hormone receptive.  
Saw Gyno this week.   She said that vaginal bleeding in post menopausal women often results from the following:
*After menopause the walls of the vagina thin and can spontaneously bleed for no reason or after sex etc.
*Granulation tissue can form over scar and can bleed but more commonly soon after hysterectomy.

I still recommend that anyone with bleeding check with their Doctor.

*in my case the drug I am taking has caused my labia to shrink totally and caused severe thinning of the vaginal walls resulting in a bleed.  I ceased the Femara for 3 weeks during which time the bleeding also ceased.  I have restarted the Femara and will watch what happens.
My GP took samples for testing with negative results but I still wanted to check with a Gyno.

My gyno (in Australia) suggested that if the bleed restarts to try the following:
** a vaginal lubricant -  "Replens"
if that does not work then
** a plant oestrogen - "Phytovaya vaginal Gel
lastly after checking with my oncologist
**vaginal oestrogen - "Vagifem"
I am also experiencing bleeding.  I had a hysterectomy about 6 years ago.  The other day, while having sex, I began to bleed.  The amount of blood was enough to soil the sheets. Both my husband and I had blood stains on our bodies.  Does anyone have any advice or suggestions.  This is really freaking me out.  
I had a total Hysterectomy last year (June 7, 2010), Cervix, Uterus, Falopian tubes, both ovaries. I had absolutely no bleeding at all until a few nights ago. I went to the bathroom and had bright red blood with clots in it. I went to the Dr. and after exam found a tumor on my vaginal wall which was biopsied and found that my cervical cancer had spread to my pelvic and vagina. I am still waiting to go for CT scan and PET scan. Was told I would need to start Chemo and Radiation right away. Until the tests (and results) I won't know where else it has spread. I will try my hardest to post back here with my results. Anybody who has posted above me should go immediately to their Dr. and be examined. This is very serious and needs immediate attention.
Ladies,
I had a hysterectomy about 2 years ago, it was the da vinci procedure. I had huge fibroids and had, apparently, had them for years. However, after the birth of my son, the pain and bleeding got much worse.  I still have my ovaries, but in the last 6mos I've experienced a lot of pain and light spotting and bleeding in my sides and back. My husb finally convinced me to go to the doctor. My doctor took xrays and found out I have a cyst on one of my ovaries. In my case, he recommended surgery to remove it. I haven't scheduled the surgery yet because I really don't want to, but I know I have to soon. I just wanted to let you know that this was what it turned out to be in this case.
I had a partial hysterectomy in 87, am 59 yrs. old now. The reason for that operation was Endometriosis. The pain was all to familiar to me before the surgery. I do have one overy left , everything else is gone and the one ovary was untouched by the Endro, because the doctor said she did not want to take everything out and throw me into menopause as I was too young to have to go through that. I never have had these issues I see on this board and it is alarming how many women are suffering from this so many years after that operation. And it make one wonder what are these doctors thinking? Brushing off a womans health concerns and complaints as "Imaginary" does not bode well for the competancy of most of these doctors. And guessing at a diagnosis is just criminal.
Thanks, Zhanna. I read the website, www.wdxcyber.com/nbleed13.htm,  thoroughly than I had due to your recommendation. I am thinking that the bleeding could also be due to strained bowel movements, which, now that I think of it, accompanied at least two of the three vaginal bleeding episodes. I had my total hysterectomy eleven years ago. I have had three light episodes in the past month, noticeable mostly only on cleaning myself, but there was a day when there was slight spotting. My bowels were off that day, too, I don't remember whether it was tension and/or a full bowel -- but it seems there could be a relationship. I'm going to the gynecological oncologist on Thursday. I'll let you all know what he says. He's a VERY good doctor.
After one year of vaginal bleeding,  my doctor suggested that I have a total hysterectomy on April 6th 2011.
I called him on the phone and told him that I am still bleeding and he said to me that's absurd, I took everything out, that cant be happening.  Later on, I paid him a visit, he examined me and said there was no blood internal and let me go home. He is an excellent doctor but I am starting to lose confidence in him.

I am so worried, I dont know what I should do from here.
Any suggestions.
Well, I found this site by accident - I am having the same issues as many of you. I had a total hysterectomy (kept ovaries) in April '09. Tonight at work I noticed I was staining brownish blood in the restroom. Using tissue paper I was able to determine it is indeed vaginal bleeding - small clots, mostly  staining, all reddish/brown. I'll be calling my obgyn tomorrow - he is an awesome Dr., he has always told me to call him/his service at any hour of the day/night, should I have a problem. He's very up-to-date and modern, and will kepp you in the office for an hour to talk if you have questions. I am having some pinching like pains - just snall twinges. I have noticed some changes I think are hormonal lately - extreme dryness, and an outbreak of a few boils my Dr says are hormonal and very common. I will came back and report what he finds in my case, the lack of follow ups here is dissapointing.
I will say I was very freaked tonight when this started - crying all the way out of the building - my coworkers probably think I was fired! lol but reading so many posts in regards to this gives me hope it's not a return of cancer, which was all I could think of.
I'll post again as soon as I see the Dr.
Had a complete hysterectomy due to endometrial cancer last year, Final biopsy's came back negative, cancer cells had not gotten into lymph nodes and no radiation nor chemo was needed.It's been a year since surgery and recently I had one episode of a slight pink discharge.  I attributed it to vaginal dryness, went to doctor to be sure. Doctor did pelvic exam and was able to confirm Vaginal atropy. Dr.prescribed permarin cream, topical vaginal lubricant. Doctor, stated to "always stay on top of matter" and always call if I have any concerns. I see my doctor every 6 months. I want to live and finish raising my daughter so I will not hestiate to call and go see a doctor!
Was going through the same things, bleeding 14 years after a total. went to OBGYN was told I have a vaginal fistula. Google that, it's not good. Need more test.  No your OBGYN doc are NOT going to disclose this due to the fact it cause is usually from a pelvic surgery gone wrong.  See a pelvic floor surgeon for a consult. ASAP!!
hmmm, still not much of an answer out there eh?

i'll add my dilemma.
over 10 years ago, in my early 20's, (i'm 40 now) i had a total hysterectomy after fighting endometriosis for years & after multiple surgeries.

today....
no symptoms to speak of, and this am went pee and peed bright red blood, still bleeding...

guess i'll be making an appointment
bbl
A follow up from me -
My Dr saw something during the exam and did a biopsy then. Happy to say, the biopsy came back fine and my Dr said it was bleeding scar tissue on the vaginal cuff. He stressed that if I ever see any bleeding or feel the least bit uncertain about anything, to call him immediately and they will squeeze me in. I'm also on the "every 6 months" program for paps. I have the greatest confidence in my Dr, and I hope every woman experiencing anything out of the ordinary would make an appointment and not fool with chance...
I had a umbilical hernia repair done at the same time as my hysterectomy.  Two years later I started bleeding.  Make sure you get sonograms.  Many times you could have tearing in the lining of the intestines and/or hernias that bleed out into the vaginal canal from the hyst. surgery.  NO doctor would ever tell you that because that would be med mal.  Get either an MRI of your abdomen or a sonogram or get to a general surgeon and start complaining of the bleeding.  That is a surgeon's job to clean up the bloody ordeals, right?  Otherwise we are all just sitting ducks?  There is no such thing as internal bleeding without a cause.  SWITCH DOCTORS>>>>> yours stinks.
Hi Gals, wow I read all of these posts last week and left feeling quite fearful.  Here's my story, it ends with good news.  I'm 53 and
I had a hysterectomy 16 years ago, they left my left ovary and cervix.  I had a pap in July 2011, normal results. Aug 2011 showing blood on paper, thought I had Urineary Track Infection UTI, took antibiotics, it went away.  Sept 2011, blood again, I and my Dr thought my UTI was back.  I finally figured out it was vaginal bleed.  My Dr off that day, stand in Dr says bleeding from cervix, may be ovarian cancer....my heart stopped.  They rushed me into the hospital for an ultrasound, normal and vaginal on friday night but now I had to wait until Monday afternoon for the results...this is just pure torture!  Suffered through the weekend and saw my Dr on Monday.  She thought bleeding was from left over urtine tissue left on the top of my cervix that became active with endomitriosus (sp) again...? She wasn't concerned with my ovary that had a 2.5cm cyst on it as seen on u/s, other wise u/s results were unremarkable.  My Dr referred me to Gyn to have surgery to remove the rest of those lady parts, I was all for it at this point and this Dr didn't seem to think ovarian cancer was even a thought.  Today I went to Gyn and told her the whole long story and after one look she says quite casually "Oh, it's just a pollyp".  It was about the size of a grape, she twisted it off and sent it to the lab but is quite unconcerned.  Whew!!!   The moral to the story Ladies is go see the professional first if you can and come back and post your outcome for the folks to come in the future.  
P.S. we did CA125 blood test and it came back at 12.
I had a partial hysterectomy 15 years back (laparoscopy assisted with vaginal), when my husband passed 4 yrs back I suddenly started bleeding bright red and my new OBGyn sent anti depressants after he examined me and did a full ultrasound and found no concerns. That took care of that; now after 4 years I start bleeding bright red again sporadically for the last month. I have an appointment this afternoon, but I also had very painful intercourse 2 wks back and a whitish discharge with no particular odor (luckily hehe). I thank everyone that has posted here, reading about it gives you an idea of the possibilities that we can face. Hopefully it will be just a minor infection, but I am concerned. I believe we should inform ourselves and be aware of the options to be a better patient and to demand a proper treatment. Thanks for the posts!!
Two weeks ago, I had vaginal bleeding, which seemed like a period.

I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago (to the month!), and the surgeon left my ovaries and cervix intact.My doctors office ordered a "endometrial biopsy" i within a week, which was performed last Friday. Of course, I don't have a uterus, and therefore no endometrium - but as he explained the procedure he dialated my cervix and removed tissue for testing.

He says in some women, a bit of tissue can regenerate (not common) and cause light bleeding, or it may be tissue that was left that bled this past month. Worst case, he says, is pre-cancerous.

I'm not worried. He wasn't worried. The test is more to rule out anything extreme.

I'll have results before the end of the week, and I'll come back and post here. Thanks to others for sharing your stories and info.
Have been bleeding off and on since 2005.  Had a hysterectomy when I was 32 yrs. of age...I am now 61.  I have one ovary.  After ready several of these I am wondering if I have a cyst.  I thought it was just stress that I am bleeding...cause it is just off and on and then I can go for days and nothing...I also have been experiencing burning.  I have no insurance and both hubby and I are enemployed and not so sure these clinics that help on a scale would help since there is no scale to go on....I kept ready hoping to see what others outcome was that have gone to the dr. but haven't read anything...the blood is bright red and no clots.  any advice?
I feel better after finding this website.  I had a total hysterectomy in 1998 and am 58 years old now.  Tonight I noticed some bleeding and kinda freaked out.  I'm a widow and so can't blame it on sex.  I am leaving to visit friends for a week in Vermont in the morning (of all times for this to happen).  I Googled and found this site.  All the posts made me feel better.  I'll just have to wait till I get back from vacation to go to my gyn.  I promise to post my results.  But from reading all these posts, it could take a while to figure out what's going on.  I suffer from CLL, Leukemia and it took years to get the diganosis going from dr. to dr. telling them I was tired.  All they said was quit your legal secretarial job and do something less stressful.  Anyway, I promise to post my results.
I'm back - received biopsy reports from my doctor's office and everything is normal. So, my GYN says that there is most likely a little remaining tissue, and stress has brought on a cycle (it very much felt like a menstrual cycle at the time, even if the bleeding was really just spotting) and I shouldn't worry about it.

If it continues, or becomes problematic, I'll have surgery to remove the tissue and/or cervix.
I had partial hyster in 2008. I am 39. Have been spotting for two months. Was treated for urinary tract infection one month ago. Feel bloated and discomfort. Thought it might be stomach issues. Have started taking a weight loss trail drug since the end of August. I have been under a lot of stress lately. Could any of these above be related? Have Dr. Apt. November 10th. Elvitta
Had uterus and one ovary removed in 2008. Have had a period every 26 days since the surgery. For the last two months I've been bleeding and dealing with quite a lot of pain. Sometimes it feels like someone is shoving a knife in my vagina. I also have an odor. Sex is painful, as is inserting a tampon. Waiting two months until I get insurance. Will come back with results.
Have you found out what caused the bleeding yet?  Hi, I'm also experiencing bleeding after six years of nothing. I had a radical hysterectomy in 05, I had Endometrial Cancer.  Last night is the first time I have seen blood and like some of the others and you, I had severe bleeding problems before the Hysterectomy.  Needless to say I freaked out and immediatley thought about how I didn't want to go to the hospital last night.  I didn't, I called the nurseline and she said it didn't sound severe enough...that was good enough for me.  However I did make an appointment to see a Gyn. tomorrow.  Has anyone else had bleeding after finishing a Z Pack (Azithromycin)  I talked to my daughter and she said she got a vaginal infection after taking a Z Pack.  I asked the Pharmacy and they said its not common...so I looked at one of the online med help sites (like this one) and it said that one of the side effects is UTI, Kidney infection...So who do we believe?  Anyway...I hope you got answers and a fix for your scare.  If I remember this post I'll come back and re-post what my Dr. says.  Take care all :)  and you Chel4.  Angel (***@****)
Thats how (well part of it anyway) I ended up with Endometial Cancer...I had biopsies for years and they always came back as normal, then I had a nother test that showed a spot (Sonogram) so I went to another Dr. and he did a D&C and found the Cancer.  All I can say is Don't wait.  If you are in or near NYC. Dr. J. Blanco is the one who helped me. :)
Just came back from my Dr. Apt. As promised, I am back to report. I was told I have a rare infection. Desquaimatine Inflammatory Vaginitis.
I had a partial hysterectomy(ovaries left in) about 13 yrs ago. Three days ago I noticed a small amount of red bleeding while wiping after urination. I was shocked to say the least!! I am a OB/Gyn practical nurse, not working at this time. I tried to keep a level head and tried to think of any pre-bleeding symptoms that I may have ignored. I am going to be 55 next week and unfortunately I have become a big procrastinator as far as my health goes! I have had stress urinary incontinence for at least 10 years, For the past year, I have noticed a sort of "inner bulging"of the vagina, but my husband has been very ill, we've had no intercourse for over a year, so this too was ignored. I am fairly certain that I have a prolapsed bladder and vagina....my combined symptoms: enlargement of the abdomen(times two months),increased urinary incontinence, abdominal discomfort, back pain, noticable odor to urine. All these symptoms could cause vaginal bleeding. I convinced myself  that the cause of these symptoms was no big deal, but I think I've pushed my luck!! Tomorrow I have an appt with a MD to check to see if I have a bladder infection, and then I have an appt scheduled with a gynecologist who specializes in urinary incontinence.
This site is great!  Has anybody experienced this?....I am 55, had vaginal prolapse surgery almost 2 years ago, they removed my uterus only, and inserted mesh to make a sling for my bladder.  All has been well, except the last few weeks, I have noticed a light brownish-pinkish discharge when i wipe after urinating.  To see if I was indeed bleeding from the vagina, I inserted a tampon, and sure enough blood, not a lot but enough to scare me.  The strange thing is, it is never in my underwear, only when I wipe, or insert a tampon to check.  How can that be?  I have been hearing a lot of bad things about the mesh implants, so I am very worried.  I do have an appt with my dr. but not for 2 weeks.  Does anybody have any ideas that might help thru the next couple of weeks?  I am encouraged, because I truly thought any blood, meant only cancer.  Now I have seen that there are many other things it could possibly be, so that gives me a little more encouragement.  Thank you so much for anybody who might post.  I appreciate your time so much, and I will post when I learn something, so that might help the next woman who might be looking for reassurance.
I had a total hysterctomy 14 months ago. I have noticed the last month I have been spotting. Before I left home a couple of hours ago I put a pad on and I just noticed I have quite a bit on the pad, there was blood in my stool and I am having cramps.  Is this normal?
Yes I had a partial hysterectomy but still have my ovaries
and have been spotting blood for two days.
I need to call today for a doctors appointment  .
I came in here looking for answers. And see a lot of older comments
asking the same question. And yet like one person said no one came back to report anything to people asking the same question that said they were seeking answers from doctors. It would have been nice of these people to come back here and give another woman with the same problem some relief.
I just found this site, and glad I did. just like the rest of you I do have the same problem as you. I had a hysterectemy fourteen years ago. It was a complete. I started bleeding about two days ago, it started out kind of creamy red and now it is staight blood. I am going to call my doctor to day and make and appointment to be seen. And will be back will my results.
Went to ER about my bleeding and found out that I have a mass the size of a half dollar in my vigina. I have a Doctors Appt. for tomorrow.
13 years ago I had a "complete hysterectomy" and due to a hip replacement that went bad (doctor shattered my pelvis during surgery) I have not had intercourse since August of 2009. Too painful. Anyway, I noticed this morning when I got up and went to the bathroom that I had a thick pinkish vaginal discharge when I wiped myself. I haven't had anything like that in years and remember that I haven't had any sex. All day today while at work I can feel it seeping out and I have been to the bathroom to wipe several times. I'm sort of cramping but am a little worried about what it could be. I have nothing female left - all was removed in 1998. Can anyone help?
Desquaimatine Inflammatory Vaginitis - have doctor see if this is what it is....it is rarely diagnosed...I have a good doctor. No more spotting after treatment! And I did follow up!
after total hysterectomy I started bleeding, it was my barthland (spelling) glands, each woman has 2, at 5 and 7 o'clock position at bottom of vagina,  they had to end up doing surgery on both and I still form cysts, full of pockets of blood,  now I am bleeding again vaginally,,,,,,,,swollen and have no clue what is wrong,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my doctor became injured and had to retired and honestly I havent found a doctor worth a durn since

I do know  my 87 year old mom when she was on blood thinners would bleed vaginally if her blood became too thin,,,,if her dr tells you that's not it, hes WRONG,,,,,,after 3 doctors they finally admitted it was.  she had a hysterectomy when I was born so we knew something else was causing it,,,,,,
I too had a total hysterectomy, over 2 years ago after having reoccuring tumors. I also have had numerous tests for abdominal pain that I've had over 7 years. I have seen numerous specialists, have had numerous tests, with no answers as to why the severe pain. Yesterday I discovered I am now bleeding vaginally. I at this point do not know what to think... or do!
I had a total hysterectomy and bilateral oophorectomy (removal of both ovaries) over 10 years ago after being diagnosed with cervical cancer. Now, after recent problems with diverticulitis, I have been experiencing episodes of vaginal spotting. It went away for about a month, then came back. At first my doctor said, "Don't worry about it!" When I reminded her of that about 10 days later, the spotting had cleared (for that day, at least). She was surprised that she had told me such a thing and told me to see her again if the spotting returned..

The next day - guess what - it was back. I went to a walk-in clinic where I was examined. The new doctor reported that there was an irritated area of the vagina, probably due to vaginal atrophy. He took some scrapings from that area to be sent to the lab, as well as vaginal swabs to rule out yeast or bacterial infection. He also prescribed Vagifem tabs for vaginal atrophy. The pap test caused more spotting, of course, and I haven't started on the Vagifem yet, because it can cause some of the symptoms from which I have been trying to recover since the diverticulitis.

The pap test and swabs all came back negative. I am hoping that when everything else settles, the discharge will as well, and then I will begin a short course of Vagifem.
I had a partial hysterectomy in 1995 i am 41 and i had been experiencing abdominal pain and vaginal bleeding with clots. I saw a dr and have had a pap, xrays, ultrasound and found a cyst and they still want to do another ultrasound next month to see if it will disappear on its on
I had an hysterectomy in march of 2001,my uterus and one ovary was removed, but for the last 3-4 months spotting,really scary doctor said bladder infection not an UTI so im treated and im fine but then the bleeding returned each month getting more bleeding and only lasting for a very short time, this month oh boy quite a bit of  blood so i go to the same OBGYN and he said a cyst will not cause vaginal bleeding and if you still have your cervix that can cause some vaginal bleeding too. I dont have my cervix either so im 42 and a lil early to be goin thru menapause,I was 32 when I had my hysterectomy so i could be going thru menapause or having some hormaonal changes, so her did a pelvic exam and it was all normal but as he was doing the procedur he notice that i did indeed have some hormonal change and suggested i use a hormonal vaginal  creme at night and you can still have sex while using it. he also stated thatf you are experiencing dryness, bleeding after sex or painful sex could be a sign of menapause. basically no cases are the same and it could be something kind of simple so dont wait too long hope i helped you some  
the pain during sex bleeding after sex and dryness could also be sign of scar tissue butwe all know every case is different it could be several dif things
I found that I had the same thing today.  I am very nervous about it. It's been over 9 years since I had my surgery.   My family has a history of Ovarian and Uterian Cancer.  I had a partial hysterectomy, and still have my ovaries.  I have not made an appointment as of yer.  However, I will be trying to get in on Tuesday as soon as they get in.
Just wondering how u r now. Only just read yr note on discussion and felt the need to ask x
Wow, at least some of you have been good enough to come back and post your outcome! I am here with same story complete hysterectomy seventeen yrs ago, (52 now), have had spotting and bleeding (dark), for a year now as well as urine loss (so strange how they both came hand in hand). Been to urologist he sent me home with vaginal cream I never went back he sent letter stating I needed to be seen by someone if not him.... I pretty much gave up after all the forums and endless questions without answers...
I have however considered though that the atrophic vaginitis makes more sense than anything else for perhaps some including myself. Perhaps I am wondering if this is why most do not come back to post after seeing their doctor(?). I do have appt. (my dr is sending me back), with the urologist again on 10th so IF he should find out anything "different" than the AV I'll come back to post. I found this website on AV hope it helps some of you. Also, cancer from what I have read will cause pain as well as pain when urinating. Something to keep in mind, NEVER allow a website to be your diagnosis, ALWAYS get checked by a doctor.
Here is the website for AV: http://www.nursingcenter.com/prodev/ce_article.asp?tid=1112533  
My problem after 6 years is Endometriosis has grown back in the vaginal cuff created by my radical Hysterectomy.  Some more great reading from this site.  Always go to the Drs and check it out.  I can tell you that if cancer runs in the family its REALLY important to seek immediate attention although I have been told that this situation is common and usually bi-nine.

Fallopian tube prolapse
Fallopian tube prolapse (FTP) is a rare complication following both abdominal and vaginal hysterectomies. A biopsy can determine whether the condition is present. The vaginal removal of the prolapsed tube may be necessary.

Endometriosis
One of the reasons a woman might elect to undergo a hysterectomy is endometriosis. This condition occurs when the tissue that lines the uterus develops in other areas of the body. Endometeriosis can be painful and cause irregular bleeding.

When the cervix is removed, what's referred to as a vaginal cuff is created.This is where endometriosis can develop following a hysterectomy.

Cancer
A total hysterectomy makes the chances of ovarian cancer very rare. But there is a slight risk of developing primary peritoneal cancer (cancer in the membrane which lines the inside of the abdomen), for which the symptoms and treatment are similar to those of ovarian cancer. It's not fully understood why the threat of peritoneal cancer continues to exist following a hysterectomy.

Granulation tissue
Granulation tissue is a healing tissue that grows to help ward off infection following a hysterectomy. Occasionally granulation tissue grows too profusely.

Atrophic vaginitis
Atrophic vaginitis is an inflammation of the vagina caused by low estrogen levels and severe irritation.

Read more: Bleeding After Complete Hysterectomy | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5375970_bleeding-after-complete-hysterectomy.html#ixzz1icRSwsvV
Hope you went to your doctor and everything is OK.  I found this site in November 2011 when I was having bleeding after sex, even though I had a partial hysterectomy 13 years ago (still have my ovaries).  The bleeding scared me, but I kept thinking it was nothing.  I finally went in for my annual exam last week and my gyno reassured me that the bleeding is caused by the lack of estrogen, which thins the lining of the vagina.  She recommended Replens (have tried it and it's messy) or KY Liquibeads (MUCH better and less mess).  I have had no bleeding after sex since using this product.  Since I noticed that a lot of people don't let us know on this site what their diagnosis was, I wanted to make sure I did.  In every case, check with your doctor - - - it might be as simple as my case!
20 years after having my uterus removed I suddenly started bleeding.  Went to my doctors and ended up have an exploratory operation.  Apparently during the hysterectomy some uterine tissue was sowed inside my vagina.  Over time this tissue had become active as I still had my ovaries and I was effectively having periods!  I was given injections to bring on the menopause, resulting in horrendous hot flushes but after a few months the bleeding stopped and hasn't returned.  Still getting the hot flushes though, but not as intense!
I am bleeding only when i pee.. Had total hysto 20 years ago.....
I had a total hysterectomy two years ago and just started bleeding yesterday, went to my ob and he said it's because I need more estrogen
I had a complete hysterectomy almost 6 years ago. It started hurting when i had intercourse 6 months ago and i stopped because the pain was unbearable then started bleeding 2 months ago. It changes from a bright red to a dark brownish color. It also builds up an air pocket that hurts when it develops, feels like someone poked me real hard and then it comes out like i am passing gas. I am very worried since i have learned that a few of my relatives have died from cervical cancer. I certainly hope that the women who commented it is from a lack of estrogen that are right on the nose with that. Thank you <3
I had a hysterectomy 20 years ago and as I was out visiting my children and grandchildren I suddenly had the sensation of a menstrual period.  Sure enough I was discharging with bleeding.  The next morning I called my doctor in Maryland who said I needed to go to the ER and have then run a few tests.  After hesitating the entire day, I finally went that night when I started passing bright red blood.  The doctor took all the tests, saw where there was bleeding and discharge but had no clue as to what was going on (after all, he was an ER and Trauma doctor.)  Told me to call a local GYN the next morning...I did...and she wanted to do a Endometrial Biopsy.  When that was said, my family and I made the decision for me to go back home to my doctor.  I did and she sent me to a Comprehensive GYN.  Sure enough, I was completely out of estrogen and my vagina was looking for some kind of lubricant (kind of like badly cracked knuckles when they start bleeding and oozing).  Vaginitis is what it is (common but not normal).  I have to admit we were all concered but glad this is treatable and I am on the road to lubricating my cracks. :)
I am going through the same thing.....I go in tomorrow for a MRI. I am so scared they won't believe me again more than I am scared somethings wrong. I know something is wrong bad.....
This is a follow up to my Sept 2011 post.  I had a pollyp removed from my cervix.  Well, it came back with all the bleeding and discomfort last week.  I went to the GYN yesterday and this time is was twice a big as last time (the size of your last knuckle on your index finger).  Like last time, she twisted it off with what felt like vice grips!  I'm not doing that again!  The good news is the bleeding has stopped.  
So sad to see that very few came back to give feedback on there results. My mother began having the same bleeding problem with the vaginal discharge and odor last night. She had a total hysterectomy about 20yrs ago. She went to see an OB-GYN today and he advised that it is caused by the thinning of the vaginal walls due to lack of estrogen. Nothing major. He prescribed her estrogen for two months. Hope this helps someone. Dr requested that she follow up in 2 months to make sure that the issue is resolved.
I am going to drs today with same prob had Hysterectomy aged 28 , Overies removed at 38 along with breast for B/cancer, i keep bleeding ,red plus brownish and feel uncomfortable and a bit swollen, Ive had one swob came back normal but Im not happy with the tummy and back pain so im of again today. i will let you know any results (promise)!!
I too had a complete hysterectomy over 10 years ago.
having had several surgeries for endometeriosis, I was then diagnosed with stage 3 cervical cancer.
It was then that I decided to do the hysterectomy.
Mine was done laproscropic.

Since then everything has been fine until today.

I took vagifem for the first few years in addition to monthly hormone injections. One part estrogen/one part testosterone. (which I still do to this day)

I've never had a problem with dryness or anything like that.

Today I started spotting.

My surgeon is top notch and a leader in Endo; will give him a call first thing Monday.
The only problem is that I have since moved from that state but still visit him for my paps when I can and he is contact with my current physician.

I promise to post when I find anything out.
hi iam 32 and have 4 kids i had a partial hysterectomy i still have my ovaries there was nothing wrong with me just had heavy bleeding.I had this done the 21 of feb 2012 and iam still bleeding i went to the ER and they said i was fine i know it caint be normal to still be bleeding and the blood is brown and has a realy bad smell i have to change my pad 2 times a day. Help
I had total hysterectomy twenty years ago. Been having lower abbdominal painn towards right groin with traces of blood in urine. Had tests done in urology and colonoscopy. Now having ct scan. So far apart from diviticulitus I wonder if it is recurrent endemetrosis. This is why I had the hysterectomy
  Will the ct scan show this up. There are days when I don't feel too great
I experienced the same problem, that is how i ended up here. My mom
gave me a very good way to solve the problem.  VERY EASY AND COST
U NEARLY NOTHING.    2 TABLESPOONS OF BROWN GRAPE VINEGAR
SOLVE IN 8 CUPS OF WATER, OR 2 CUPS OF BROWN GRAPE VINEGAR IN YOUR BATHTUB. SOAK IT.    
CHEERS AND GOOD LUCK
Could possibly be a rectovaginal fistula.  The brown "blood" could actually be feces.  Forget the ER.  See your GYN or a colorectal specialist right away.  
Blood in your urine indicates a probable bladder infection.  Have you had a urine test to check for bacteria in your blood?  
Had a total hysterectomy in 2000 with my two ovaries  intact, my husband died in 2003 ,had sex with my boy friend in 2006.(twice) from 2006 till date l have NO SEX (l decided not to have sex ,no boy friend) but yesterday 6 April  I started bleeding,no odour, no pain,l am very very afraid ,but l have booked an appointment to see my doctor. l am going to be 51 years in 1 August 2012.waiting seriously for your advice.
This is a good way to explain it. I have had this twice and a prescription of premarin (hormone). After a hysterectomy and without hormones the walls can become unstable and bleed. They need a dose of hormone and it does help. It was 7 years between episodes, not fun and all too familiar pain.
I am a total wreck health wise.  Could you give an update with the kidney aspect of your condition..results and adverse reaction to .......your body.  Mine started molar pregnancy-thyroid cancer-metastatic papillary carcinoma-lymphoma-neuromas-skull-para thyroid- hyoid- esophageal- radical hysterectomy- bi lateral radical neck dissection-voicebox- right eye 2400 vision-vaginal bleeding after 15 years-blood in urine- blood in stool- bloody nose-multiple endocrine- 39 years old and my body is trashed. I've been doing this process nonstop since the right arm amputation (car accident) 1991, molar in 1992, 47 blood transfusions, MANY surgeries, 1 treatment that fried my salivary glands, now I'm diabetic. But hey I love life and I'm still cute and LOVE every chance I get... GOD IS GOOD and he's got this and I will always survive by His ways, fruit of the earth-thats my lifestyle choice..holistic. My Mother has had cancer 16 times....then she stopped counting, as have I. Prayers to all and God knows all, heals those who ask and comforts those in need..PRAYER AND FRUITS ALL WITH LOVE FOR YOUR NEIGHBOR! <3 :)  <3

Hi same thing happened to me ie bleeding after hysterectomy 16 yrs ago and was told the bleeding is coming from the back of the vaginal wall,  I have problems with severe constipation, only having a bowel movement once every 2 weeks and now with senna and laxidol every day i manage to go every 8 or 9 days, but when i go i mean 15+ times over a couple of days and this could be a contributory factor. I was given vagifem but im not sure whether to take it or not as i know it has a lot of side effects and can cause cancer and i have enough health problems just now, prolapse bladder, fibromyalgia, B12 difficiency, depression  (3 different anti depressents) underactive thyroid, reynauds, and already take over 20 tablets a day so would appreciate any help / advise as to whether ~I should use the vagifem
Hi I have had same problem, total hysterectomy 16 yrs ago and went to doc with extreme pains in stomach and back and slight bright red bleeding, No sex for 10 yrs then some last year and nothing since, I have severe constipation and a prolapse bladder.  The doc examined me and said it is coming from the back wall of the vagina and it was caused by lack of oestrogene (spelling?) iv got vagifem to try, pain is still really bad but dont  worry, just go to docs and remember some things are caused by simple easy to clear problems probably more than serious ones but you wont know till you go to docs x
Get a new Doctor!!
I'm confused - does endametriosit (sorry spelling) only happen if you have a uterus?  I'll do some internet research on that I guess.  I came upon this site by accident also, because my mom, who had a hysterectomy over 30 years ago is now having vaginal bleeding.  Her doctor recommended a colonoscopy (which she is having next Thursday).  I'm sure the colonoscopy wouldn't hurt and obviously can rule out anything that might be happening in that entire region but I don't see how this could give us any information on why the bleeding is coming from the vaginal area.    
Are you okay?
Just a suggest....a urologist may not have the answers you need.  Have you tried a gynechologist?
I had a complete hysterectomy in Dec. 2002.  For several months now, I've noticed slight bleeding after sex and during sex it feels very full (like pressure inside). There is never any blood on my panties but just inside and after finger stimulation by my husband. I am so grateful for all the women who have posted here. The "vaginal atrophy" idea seems to make sense and I also have been of my "herbal" hormones for about 7 months (which I took for many years after the hysterectomy). Will order those and start taking them again and see if that helps.  Probably will make a visit to my MD to just check it out. I will come back and let you know.
Just wanted to come back and post again after having seen my doctor.  I was correct in my guess - he diagnosed my problem as "vaginal atrophy." He said it doesn't happen to all women, but to some as their body is gradually depleted of female hormones.  He said I needed to immediately start taking my natural (bioidentical) hormones which are made from plants and herbs and wrote a prescription for a vaginal cream to use for possibly 2 months.  He said without hormones, the lining of my vagina instead of the normal being like leather but elastic, the lining has now atrophied and thinned to be like skin, nonelastic and will react to trauma (manipulation or intercourse) like skin might (bleeding because so thin).  Ladies, please go see your doctor if you have any of the problems listed here or on any of the other posts above.  My doctor said if I did nothing about this problem that my vagina would eventually completely atrophy and I would not have one at all - it would simply close up. I am 58 and not ready for that to happen, so GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR!! Hopefully, your answer from your doctor will be that it is treatable. Good luck to you all.
I'm not sure if this will help anyone on here but it might since most of the comments are questions without answers. My mom has had the same problem as everyone else on here. Her doctor said it could possibly be from here varicose veins going up into her vagina. This could be the answer to anyone on here who has varicose veins and experiencing bleeding after their hysterectomy.
I had a complete hysterectomy 14 years ago I was 30 yrs old.  I'm now 44 yrs old and for about the past 6 months when ever me & my husband would have intercourse I start bleeding during it REALLY BAD!!  I haven't been to the Dr.  And not sure if I'll get to go.  But if you find out what causes this problem, please let me know.  
You can even Email me:  shar_bell1968***@****  
I found this site back when searching for ideas as to why I was bleeding 17 years after a complete hysterectomy. I noticed a couple of comments asking for "....and then what happened...?" - So here goes - my story is not over, but I at least wanted to provide some information.
I'm 47, had a hysterectomy because of fibroids, one of my ovaries was strapped to the back of the uterus from lesions (I had a burst ectopic pregnancy the year before) and so they took the whole thing and left me with a partial ovary to help with hormones. I had the world's worst surgical experience and ended up being resewn 5 times because my coagulation levels dropped, I wasn't healing and the stitches weren't holding. Blood tranfusions and a month-stay in the hospital. Ugh.
So here I am 17 years later, on a business trip with bright blood spotting for over 6 hours. And the cramps! So i call my doc, she sez go to ER, I say no, because I am on a business trip and don't think this is an emergency - she's mad but has me come in the following week when I am home again. So she looks and doesn't see  anything, I tell her about this site (and others) and we talk about dryting and thinning....she sez let's get some ultrasounds anyway and that's where they found a mass on my left side where the ovary used to be and cysts on my remaining partial ovary on the right. They can't tell if the mass is lesions left over from my surgery or if its lesions covering some smaller mass underneath it but there's something there. Why this would cause bleeding? Not a lot of answers for that but its been happening sporadically since then - I have an appointment with a OB/GYN in a couple of weeks so we'll go from there. My thinking is that this mass is lesions left over from all of those surgeries I had where they had to keep resewing the cuff, but we need to make sure that it is not masking something else. Better to take care of this now while its manageable. So I hope this at least provides some info for you - our bleeding can be from all kinds of things and never should it be discounted as trivial. If you are bleeding or in pain - get in to the doctor.
I feel for everyones frustration.  I too 23 yrs post hyst (now 52) left portions of ovaries and they played out 18 yrs ago.  HRT for many years, came off of 6 yrs ago.  For me Big Mistake.  Began natural HRT 3 months ago stopped 3 weeks ago (very expensive, ins does not cover).  Not sure I saw a differance.  2 weeks ago exam with PAP.  Sex not long after. Started spotting next day lasting 2 days.  This week more spotting. Went to different Gyn(previous was too angry person).  Didnt see anything but light pink discharge, no obvious lesions etc.  Suggested rectalvaginal fistula without an obvious entry.  I have history of colon problems so no other testing and such done.  I was basically dismissed because of a pre-notion of what problems may be.  I started my own search.  Some of you may look at desquamative inflammatory vaginitis.  Seems as though some cases may involve Vit D defenciancies.  I have been on 50,000 unit Vit D for a while now (prescription 1xweek) but tried over-counter for the last month due to ins issues.  It seem to fit.  I just began the prescribed Vit D and a cream to balance PH.  I will still see my Gastro but I bet it will be negative for fistula (I do not have any other symptoms).  I am actually considering going back on HRT (not this fake stuff).  I will take my chances to be able to have a more fullfilling life as opposed to growing old with my body giving out on me prematurly(?)  I encourage everyone to do
research along with seeing your doctor.  I am finding that just because they have a medical degree, not all of them care enough or are running patients in and out like cattle and only look at your situation for 10 min or less,  Be pro-active!  
Been spotting blood since February 2011 Had total hysterectomy in May 1994. Went to my regular DR. which gave me a kit to test for colon cancer (I threw away), a urine test to check for a UTI and referred me to urologist which gave me a urine cytology and blood work that came back clear. He then came up with the idea I must have vaginal atrophy (even though the only symptom I have is bleeding - rather spotting brownish blood), have had no sex at all since 2003, have no itching no burning no UTI's nothing. Sent me home with estrogen cream to apply twice weekly. I did go back and once again he sent me home with the cream in June of this yr (2012), then asked me to come back in 6 months. I asked if he was sure that is what it is and he said well, I could always run some more tests but it's too soon to show for cancer. So I feel I am getting the run around though I fully intend to go back in November to see what this man has to say. The bleeding has gotten better however I am clearly still spotting blood but now it has an aweful smell to it at times and I have this stabbing pain in the lower left side of my hip/back area. Nonetheless I do plan on coming back to post providing my PC does not take a plunge. I think it's pathetic the way these doctors blow us ladies off and I might add pathetic that no one on here (but a few very rare thoughtful caring gals), come back to post what they have learned. PLEASE if you post and go see the doctor be considerate enough to come back and post what you have learned!
THANKS!!
Last night I was on here not many answers just questions I have the same problem,bleeding its been 10years since my surgery.I went to the doctor today I have a kindney,bladder and UTI and a very bad yeast infection.The yeast infection is why I was bleeding I got a  digican pill take one today and another in three days......hope this helps someone I was scared I had surgery because I had cancer
Hi Armymon228
I too have this problem. I had a total hysterectomy in 1980 and I am 58 years old. In 1996 I had a bladder suspension and mesh was used.  Right away, there was pain with sex, lower back pain but did not contribute this to anything in particular. In april of this year, I began to bleed from the vagina and like you, I made sure it was the vagina.  I went to my GYN and she say the blood right away and it was bright red. She sent me back to the doctor who put the mesh in.  He preformed a proceduce to removed some of the mesh.  Nothing happened at all.  I went to a differnt doctor and he did another surgery to remove more mesh, hopefully so that my husband and I will have relations one day, but I am still bleeding since April.  That is six months of bleeding.  When my bowels move, I bleed more and have more pain.  I truly believe my problem is the transvaginal mesh.  My doctor told me he cannot be be sure if the surgery was sucessful for not for sure because the mesh has been embedded got 7 yrs.  
Been spotting blood since 03/07/11. Have blood mixed with urine, last month had severe cramping, alot of pressure ect. It is now 11/09/12 just got back from my cytology apt. they said no blood in urine - I said "how strange there was this morning," he said well, go see a OBGYN. They gave me a diagnosis of Vagininal autrophy, even though I had no symptoms only blood in urine. Doctors are stupid so I don't think any of us will ever know for sure why we have blood in our urine (with a select few), because frankly I don't think they give a bit and I have decided that I'll be stuck wearing a pad for the rest of my life. I am now 52 had a total hysterectomy in 1994. There ya go, that's what took my urologist nearly two yrs to figure out!
thank you. no one ever says what thier results are. it is sooo aggervating
I have been having the same problem & it has me worried that it could be cancer. You described the symtoms that I'm having. I'm going to make a Dr. appointment in the morning. Thanks for you post.
I am having the same problem you are only it has been 20yrs since I had a partial hysterectomy they have done cat scan and ultra sound and unable to find out anything I am uninsured also. i am having cramps passing clots in urine all infection cleared and still having the problem.
Wow, I read all the posts, then finally read yours near the bottom-I'm pretty much the same as the other ladies-7 years after my partial Hyst and now I have a bright red streak from time to time when I wipe. However, prior to the blood I do remember having a "pull-back" somewhat painful feeling right at the end of urination, and a general funny feeling in "that" area. No sex for quite awhile because I'm scared not knowing what is happening with my body. If I have a UTI it wouldn't bleed from "there" would it? I have no insurance so have to try to get seen at the free clinic next week on Weds. I pray it's nothing serious.  Thanks to all who reposted results for those of us who are totally freaking out!!!
Mary, I was reading all yourposts...now I can't find that page
Hi, have just read these comments and have found some of them reassuring.  Had a total hysterectomy in 1997 and was on HRT since then.  Gradually stopped stopped taking it recently as now 54years old and thought it was time :-). Today experienced brownish stains in underwear and will be going to Drs tomorrow.  Seems strange that this has happened now that I've stopped taking the HRT so will not be surprised if it is the VA. Will post an update when I know the outcome.  
I got the same answer and cream from my OBGYN and as long as I use it it helps.  She assured me that there was nothing wrong just associated with age and dryness.  Hope this helps.  BTW I'm 66 and had the hysterectomy at age 42.
Hey everyone I had a partial hysterectomy over ten years ago in october of last year I started spotting i was out of town at the time and went to the emergency room they found nothing but because of the discharge gave me a antibotic for a bacterer infection 28 day later the same thing happen this time I went to my doctor he too give me a pap smear and sent me to lab 2 check my harmones for menopause..2 days later i was at the emergency room with spotting and side pain after a cat scan i was told I had diverticulitis it took me about