Bleeding ALL the time!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Bleeding ALL the time!!

Ever since I was 10 yrs. old and started my period, I have never been what you would call regulated in the monthly cycle. Now 23 Yrs. old and still not and have been on many BC and still nothing, what is a girl to do? I have been having this one problem for the past 2 years where I wont have my period for about 3 months and then I would get for about a month and then nothing. Now that aint bad at all. I have gone for a whole year with no sign of my period and I even have had my period for a whole year non-stop.  I recently went to my GYN and she ran tests. Like vaginal ultrasound and pelvic ultrasound for signs of maybe PCOS(Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)but everything came back in the clear. So then we were back at square one and she has written up at least 12-15 blood tests and all come back with nothing to explain. I feel like getting a second opion before the last resort is brought into place and that is surgery to look first hand on why Im bleeding all the time.

So lately everything was fine since the last time I saw my GYN (7/10/05) and also had gotten all the tests done. And now I have started bleeding again. But not all the time. When I go to the bathroom and wipe I have light red on the paper, when I sleep I wake up with blood all over my bed and myself but when I clean myself up no blood and just tonight I had intercourse with my boyfriend and I blead so bad we had to stop and when I wiped it was like I had never blead.

I need help, what do you think of pre-menopause at age 23?

Thank you!!

I can relate to your problem. I had the same thing happen to me often. I would go and not have cycles, then have a cycle and the bleeding wouldnt stop for days. They said it was a hormone imbalance and gave me BCP. I stayed on them for about six months while I was regulated and then went off on my own and started looking for a more natural approach. I started taking the natural progesterone cream. It has done wonders for me. I am regulated and no bleeding in between and I have normal cycles for five days. Just my opinion. It regulated my hormones.
I'd go to a reproductive endocrinologist to help sort this out.  They specialize in the hormone balance that governs the reproductive cycle.  Your doctor should be able to give you a referral.

Sometimes when you aren't ovulating regularly (or at all) the uterine lining can build and build for months to a point where you bleed uncontrollably, then nothing for months.  You can also have spotting all the time, or nothing.  Do a search under anovulatory bleeding and you may find more info.  The bigger question is why? And to find a way to regulate things so this stops happening.

Good luck.
An RE can test her for that, but a Hem doc can't test or diagnose her with RE related problems.  That's what my thinking was in suggesting an RE.  They deal with heavy bleeding/cycle probs all the time and are familiar with what to test for and the most common causes of dysfunction uterine bleeding.  

Good idea though!
I suggest you see a Hematologist. They specialize in bleeding disorders. There is something called Von Willebrands Disease which is a treatable bleeding disorder which causes MANY women to bleed excessively. It will take some testing to see if this is the problem, but it sounds very likely. Good luck!
hi my name is Danielle from mt vernon ohio and i am having problems with my periods i haved my periods for 16th days and im worryed
i am a worried guy strange i know but my wife suffers from irregular periods and continuous bleeding the doctors dont seem interested and as we live on an Island its not easy to get to see anyone else and on reading some of the posts on here only makes the worry more. My wife has lots of other health problems also so this is the last thing we now need.
she was diagnosed with fybromyalga about 3 years ago and has been getting treated for that but now they think i might be as simple as a vitamin d deficiency but surely that would have been one of the first and easiest  things to check for any one have any ideas what the doctors do for their money we have already lost our daughter at age 13 to loose my wife as well would just be the final straw so any help would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance Vince.