Bleeding from sex, having had partial hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hello.  I had partial hysterectomy about 10 years ago.  I was divorced shortly after. For some time I had a BF and there were no sex problems. Then I went 4 years without a BF and now I entered a new relationship.  Our first sex encounter was very painful for me and I bled and had great discomfort for several days.  The pain is internal and the discomfort external.  Could this be related to my paartial hysterectomy?
By partial hysterectomy, do you mean you had your uterus and cervix removed, but kept your ovaries?   The past surgery could be indirectly related to your current situation.  But, I don't think it is the overall cause.   It sounds like you have vaginal dryness and atrophy which is a common problem for postmenopausal women.  As estrogen decreases, the vaginal tissues dry and atrophy.  This causes pain like you described.  When you have this condition, it does not matter how much lubrication you at the time of intercourse.  Your tissues are so dry that they cut and bleed with any friction.  Luckily, there is a remedy.   A vaginal estrogen pill (Vagifem) or cream (Premarin) can be inserted into the vagina on a regular basis and it will help rebuild the tissue and prevent this type of dryness.  I personally prefer Vagifem because it is less messy and each comes in its own applicator.  You will still need to use something like Astroglide duirng intercourse to have even better results.  But, things should go back to normal if your tissues get the right amount of estrogen.  Also, as time goes on in this new relationship, you may be more relaxed and have more natural lubrication to help you along.   I hope you find something that helps!  It is frustrating to have that problem!
Thanks alot.  I've read several discussion somewhat related to my case, but your answer is enormously helpful as it addresses my specific case.  I'll try Vagifem and Astroglide. You are right, this problem is most frustrating...  
Hi, Hopeshell.  Sorry I posted my answer to you twice, by mistake.  About my partial hysterectomy I only know that the ovaries remained and I recouped so quicky that additional hormones were not needed (I did not want to become homone-dependant for life).  Do you know if in that type of operation the cervix is removed?  My pain was sharp and intense, and the bleeding left a 4" round stain on the sheet.  However when I examined myself I didn;t see exterior tears and concluded that my problem happened inside the vagina.  When pain and pinkish liquid continued fto ooze for more than 3 days, I got a 3-day antibiotic suppositories vaginal treatment and applied its cream component to the outside. 7 days removed rom the incident I feel OK but scared to have vaginal sex. My BF is very understanding and we have satisfied each other with oral sex.
I've read these postings for hours and have been so surprised to learn that so many young women have a serious long-lasting problem with these tears.  They are not suspect of the dried-atrophied vaginas of menopausal women, but they have had this problem for years and years, in spite of the many medical approaches they tried.  This leads me to another question:  in your opinion, why is this something that once started is that hard to overcome?