Blighted Ovum/Miscarriage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Blighted Ovum/Miscarriage?

I had my first U/S on 10/28/11 and was 6w1d pregnant, but the U/S measured 5w1d with a normal yolk sac, but no baby.  My Dr. was not concerned but scheduled a follow-up U/S in 2 weeks, which I just had on Thursday, 11/10/11.  I was 8w0d, but only measuring 6w1d, same yolk sac and still no baby. I knew something was wrong.  My dr. came in and told me that she was concerned b/c at first I was only 7 days behind, but now I am 13 days behind, and still no baby.  She told me I most likely had a blighted ovum, and did not expect a good outcome as she attempted to console me.  She said she was not going to jump to anything just yet, and ordered another U/S in one week (this Wed. 11/16/11) and we would go from there.  She did also order a total HCG & progesterone to get a better picture of what was going on.  I mentioned to her, that from my understanding, a blighted ovum will not present with a yolk sac, but she said that is not true and blighted ovums can in fact contain a yolk sac.  So my question is, 1) Could this be a blighted ovum and 2) How much chance do I have of this pregnancy being viable?  I have already accepted that it is most likely a doomed pregnancy, but I am still holding out hope.  I also have pregnancy symptoms, some which are new like nausea.  Some have decreased such as breast tenderness and need to urinate frequently.  Please someone help me figure this out either way; I am so deperessed and can't focus on anything else. Oh, I also have a healthy 3 year old daughter (had a perfect pregnancy with her).  Thank you in adavance for
The gestational sac first appears at about 4 weeks gestational age, and grows at a rate of about 1 mm a day through the 9th week of pregnancy. A gestational sac larger than 13 mm that contains no yolk sac means the pregnancy is not viable, so when the sac is larger than this and there is no yolk sac, the doctor can diagnose miscarriage and a miscarriage that consists of no yolk sac would fall in the category of blighted ovum. However in your case, the yolk sac is there but there is no visible heart beat. I would suggest a repeat ultrasound as sometimes the heart beat is missed in earlier ultrasounds.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for your response.  I had another U/S yesterday (8w 6d) and the GS is still measuirng 6weeks, and they found a fetal pole which is also measuring 6weeks, but no heartbeat yet.  I have to go back next week for another U/S to check for progress & a heartbeat. My HCG at 8w6d was 34,230 and progesterone was 6.6.  I am concerned that the pregnancy is not progressing at the correct rate.  If it were to go to term, what are the chances of mental/physical birth defects?  My Dr. prescribed progesterone but she is doubtful they will help. I have no symptoms of miscarriage (cramping or bleeding). Thank you again for your help.