Blighted Ovum and Conceiving Again

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Blighted Ovum and Conceiving Again

Last week I was informed that I had a blighted ovum. I was 11 weeks and my sac/uterus only showed 6 weeks and my HCG levels had decreased to 3000. I have been spotting/passing the miscarriage naturally without a D/C for about 2 weeks now. My question is how long does it usually take to pass a miscarriage naturally and when can we start trying to conceive again? My fear is that I will not be able to conceive again. I would appreciate anyones advice or comments.
I am so sorry for your loss. Don't worry, it will happen again. I know that's easier said than done. I wish you the very best STICKY BABY DUST. Smile!!
Oh! I also posted under Maternal Child. Please read my story.
when i miscarried last year it took six weeks of light bleeding before it stopped
In Feb '05, I was Dx'd with a blighted ovum and I was 12 wks along. I opted for the D&C because my sac was measuring close to 12 wks, and my doc was worried that I would hemorage if I passed it naturally. After the D&C, my doc gave me the green light to TTC again, but he recommended I wait 2 cycles. Some people wait and some try again right away. Blighted ovums are common- it will not affect your ability to conceive again.

BTW, don't feel obligated to go to the maternal forum to read anyone else's posts until you're ready.
I had a blighted ovum in June 2003. By the time the m/c completed, I was around the 10 week mark. From the beginning of the spotting through when the sac passed and the spotting stopped completely was about 3 weeks. Given the nature of the loss and my ability to successfully m/c at home without intervention, i was given the go ahead to TTC. It took 6 weeks for my first post-miscarriage period to arrive, but I was able to get pregnant that next cycle and am about to celebrate that baby's 2nd birthday at the end of the month.

I am sorry for your loss, but as the previous poster mentioned, blighted ovums are little more than a fluke and the odds are good that it won't happen again. Here's to hoping for good news from you in the future.

Andi