Blood Clots in left jugular vein
Im not sure if Im in the right section but...I am a 30 year old woman - healthy - not overweight and I eat and excersize on a regular basis....Well, last October  (2006) I discovered that I had a blood clot in my left jugular vein.  The symptoms manifested in my left arm itching, then swelling then going completely numb.  My Dr. immediately put me on Warfarin (starting at 5mgs - 17.5mg over a 4 month period) and Lovenox for 8 weeks.  The blood clot dissappeared but I am left wondering what the issue is.  I have switched Dr's due to a change in insurance and I have had over 15 blood tests done - none of which I have gotten any info. back.  I am an otehrwise healthy 30 year old - a Non drug user and there was no trauma to the neck area or any part of my body at the time of the blood clot.  My current Dr. has not been helpful and I am wondering if this could be a fluke?  OR possibly a serious issue?  In my family, there is heart disease and I have an aunt (On my mothers side) who died of a heart attack at the age of 39.  She suffered from angina.  What do I need to do since I am not getting any response from my physician?
Can you call or talk to your previous DR. he might know who you can refer to that will take your plan.  You might want to switch Dr.'s again and see what's going on.  I would think its a serious matter and I would continue to get checked.  
hey - thanks for your response :)  i have called my first dr. (the one who I originally went to) and her NP told me that I would have to pay upfront to see her as I she is PPO and I have an HMO.  hows that for a response?  You're right though - I need to be pushy with them as  I feel that somethin is not right.
Are you on birth control? unfortunately that is a serious side effect.
Hi there,

No - I am not on the pill - I have never been on the pill.  I am perfectly healthy with the exception of a small heart murmur and this whole blood clot deal.  The problem is that my original Dr. has told me that I can always come back if I have any questions - so I took her up on her offer and she told me that I was out of luck because she did not take my insurance - I would have to pay upfront to have her retest me.  My new Dr. has run 13 tests only to have me have to call her nurse practitioner to be told that everything looks fine?...what ever that means.  I understand that my health is important, but this is a major hastle.

I feel like there is an issue that needs to be taken care of.....I am just curious to see of this is common.  I get the feeling that it is not.  
I would definitely ask your doctor to get all the results, and have them explain what they tested for. Were all you tests taken at the new place? If not, call the other doctor too and ask for the results. You've paid for it (or I guess your insurance has :-), so make sure you get all the information you need. They can't charge you for getting the results on tests you've already taken. The only thing the might charge is a fee for photocopies.

There are many factors that can cause an increased risk for blood clotting. I have Factor V Leiden, which increase the chance of blood clots five times. Personally, I've never had a blood clot, but my cousin did, and turns out it runs in our family. So I have to be careful with b/c pills, during pregnancy and other situations that adds to the risk.

Good luck to you!
I'm 22, completely healthy and had a blood clot in the exact same place.  All of my tests came back normal as well.  My doctors still have no idea what caused it.  
I have blood clot/left jugular--diagnosed last Jan after swelling of neck, face, eyes--also warfarin ever since. Also have portocath for chemo treatments/upper left side/chest. Most swelling went away but have serious swelling of eyes still. Any ideas?? Also having chemo again after yr off. Surgery Jan 2006/ovarian/colon cancer. Have excellent DR. specialist Womens Oncology. No explanation for eyes--don't hurt, itch, anything. Can see fine for 76 w/maginifiers/contacts.Chemo is gemzar/carboplatin. No pain, no symptoms, blood test not normal. ars
I have a blood clot in my right jugular vein.  Also, no trauma and no one knows why I have it.  They have not done an ultrasound on my left vein though so I don't know if its both or just the one.  I was diagnosed in May of 08, had a doppler 3 weeks ago and have been on warfarin for 6 months the clot has not changed or dimminished at all. Just trying to get some information.  I sometimes have pain in the back of my head and my neck hurts alot on the sides. I always thought it was tension or because of my shoulders because their usually sore.  Now I think I create symptons because it just scares me.  I'm 48.  
I am 37 & healthy, & I too had blood clot in left jugular vein, (in hospital right now and have been here for 12 days) only symptom I had was severe facial swelling. Dr's have not been able to explain to me why  or how this happened.So far I am up to 15mg of Coumadin daily  and 2 Lovenox  injections daily,I have been tested for all kinds of blood disorders and everything has come back negative. I sure could use some light at the end of the tunnel. Looking for answers and want to go home to my 3 babies!!!!!!