Blood Pressure went up/stayed up following childbirth - previously low-...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Blood Pressure went up/stayed up following childbirth - previously low-normal

I have always had low to normal blood pressure. (108/70 ish) Throughout my two pregnancies, it remained at the same level. Leaving the hospital after my c-section (#2) I was also perfectly normal.  Now, here's the puzzling part - by a few weeks post partum, my blood pressure became consistently high, at times as high as 160/100 at the Dr's office. (I do have that whitecoat hypertension issue - always have) It did come down some and has levelled off at about 148/90 which I know is still above acceptable levels.  Nothing in my life has changed as far as stress level/health/weight etc.  My doctor agrees that is was a rapid and significant change but has no explanation for it.  I am troubled that it occurred almost overnight and in almost 2 years has not returned to a level that has been normal for me for my entire life.  My dad does have hypertension and has had both a heart attack and stroke.  I recognize that I too have risk factors, hypertension now being one also.  Could there be an underlying explanation/cause for the sudden change?  Where do I begin to look for an answer?  My family Doc. is pushing for me to medicate, I am looking find out what happened. I'll look forward to your thoughts/advice.
I had this happen right after the delivery of my twins by c-section.  The doctor was stumped.  She said it was like I was having pre-eclampsia but after the fact.  I had significant problems after the birth of my children.  I had to have my gallbladder removed two months later.  Then, surgery for rectal prolapse.  Surgery for endometriosis.  Finally, thyroid disease was diagnosed.  I had Graves' disease or overactive thyroid caused by an autoimmune disorder.  I think all women should have their thyroids checked after pregnancy, although I can't say for sure this was why my blood pressure spiked.  Also, make yourself knowledgeable about all the different tests that can be run to detect thyroid disease.  My blood work came back normal, but futther tests were done upon my pushing, and they revealed the disease.  Any other symptoms?
I too had the same thing happen to me after my thrid child was born (vaginally). I took him in for his first check-up and was feeling lightheaded. The doc took my BP and then gave me some sort of pill to place under my tongue. I was not allowed to leave his office for several hours as they thought I may have a stroke on the way home. Anyways, I saw my FP who placed me on BP meds for about 6 months and it did eventually go back to normal without the use of meds. There was never an explanation offered as to WHY this happened. Now some 13 years later after suffering a back injury and surgery etc.. I have HBP again and have to be medicated. The doc says it is high due to chronic pain.
I also wanted to suggest that if you think it is due to the whitecoat syndrome, try checking your BP yourself at any of the BP machines now located in almost every grocery store. They are pretty accurate. Don't be afraid to take the meds, you may only have to take them short term.
Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. Hope you are feeling better.
I definitely think that you should have it checked out.  I re-read your post.  My family history includes heart attack, stroke, and hypertension, and high blood pressure.  Also, thyroid disease.  I think looking into the thyroid is important.  I agree that taking the meds is important or finding an alternative doctor to give you something else to bring it down; however, I don't think you should overlook the thyroid thing.  It sounds like your BP is still up there.  Good luck!!
Thanks for the advice ladies, I appreciate it.  I will definitely keep on top of this and look into some of the things you have suggested.  Liz
my sister had the same problem after her 3 child the doctor said its rare to have after the first child it is related to post portum deppression the doctor said if you let it go on with out treating it that it could cause alot of other problems. my sister didnt listen right a way and ended up having 5 seizures
back to back and while she was in the tub she almost drowned and was hospitalized for 1 1/2 months. note she has never had a seizure in her life until then so please do yourself a favor and see a doctor and ask him about it the chance of this happening is 1 and 1,000 women. so it may not be the case with you, just be safe. Take care hope i helped
I had my second child 18 months ago and while still on the delivery table moments after her birth my blood pressure was 190/100 (had low BP all during pregnancy), the nurse quickly retook it and got the same result.  I got some kind of medicine (under my tounge) three times before it finally went down to an acceptably high level (140/90).  I could feel my heart racing in my chest, I could hear my heart beating so fast in my ears, and I felt really light headed but never passed out or anything.  I attributed it to a really quick birth (I pushed 4 times, it took about 5 minutes) and thought it was an isolated issue.  I was just at the Dr. the other day and my pressure is still high (140/95) and I have times when I wake up in the night/take a walk/whatever when I feel my heart racing.  I had blood work done, including thyroid, all was normal (slightly high Kidney function - don't know what that is).  I wish I knew what changed and makes me feel this way now... I hope it isnt a sign of bad things to come!