Blood clots due to Yasmin birth control!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hi everyone, yesterday I brought my wife home from the hospital (7 days) after she was admitted for having blood clots.  She has a blood clot in her upper arm/shoulder area, and a blood clot in each lung.  The ONLY risk factor she has towards blood clots is that she is on birth control.  She has been on Yasmin for around 4-5 months now (she was previously on orthotricyclin).  My wife is 25 and a non-smoker.  The doctors have told us that getting blood clots for someone my wife's age, with no other factors, is very rare.  Has anyone else ever had this problem, or even heard of it?  The doctors said that typically someone who gets blood clots from birth control bills are 35 years old or over and a smoker.  My wife is still in pain and her blood levels are still not very close to the normal range.  I've been doing some research and haven't found anything about someone getting blood clots from Yasmin without any other factors involved (smoking, history of clotting, long plain/car ride, etc).  After seven days in the hospital and watching my wife deal with a lot of pain, I'm just trying to find some answers.  Thanks!
Tags: clots, Pregnancy, thinners, s, Health, Blood clots, Birth Control, Women, Lung, Pain, Womens Health
Hey,
My friend is 20 and took Yasmin for a short period of time, not sure how long, less than a year I believe.  She ended up having a blood clot in her lung, and now has to give herself a shot and take special blood thinners.  I also know she goes to get her blood looked at very frequently.  She also is a non-smoker, otherwise very healthy, active female.   I know they are still looking for answers for her and the only thing they have told her is that she's just one of the very few people to have blood clots from taking it.  Sorry I can't be much more help than that.  
Your wife needs her doctor to run specific blood tests for clotting disorders.  She might have a protien c deffiancy and that could raise her risk for devloping blood clots no matter what the situation is and of course birth control would definitely increase her risks.  Did they mention if she would have to take blood thinners permanently?
I am a cardiovascular sonographer. I do venous doppler to rule out blood clots .I am seeing an alearming number of yourng ladies with blood clots in extremities that have led to life threatening pulmonay embolisms' ( Blood clots in the lungs. FEEL free to contact me .I have been scanning for years and have never seen such an alarming connection , or blood clits in young ladies.  Yasmin needs taken off the market ,it is a dangerous drug !

***@****
That email above -

mary tate xxx  @ yahoo com -- please note the site didn;t allow me to post the email so merge all that together and email me.
So sorry to hear about your wife. I too had a PE last July. It started out as pain in my left arm. I thought I had pulled a muscle lifting my son and holding him. Over the course of 5 days is traveled up my arm and (I assume now) into my lung where it stopped. On the fifth day I began to wonder if I was having a heart attack and decided to go to ER where it was found that I had 2-3 small clots in my left lung. The only factor for me was that I was on Yasmin. I had to be on cumadin (coumadin) treatment for 6 months after leaving the hospital. Then I went off of it for 2 months before they ran tests to rule out any genetic factor. (Tests proved that there was no genetic cause).  I was 31 at the time, non-smoker and pretty active. I've been told no more birth control pills and no estrogen therapy when I go through menopause.

I hope your wife is doing much better now.
I was just scrolling threw and happened to stop here. A 21 year old girl from where I live had a blod clot in her lung, and brain they revived her twice at the little hospital in our town. They ended up airlifting her to the city. From there she went to a better place.  She was getting married in four weeks and started taking birth control. A good girl, healthy, and active also. The only thing I dont know for sure is the type of birth control that she was on. Six other women from our little town has came forward of there experience with the birth control pill!!!!! How many women have to die or  suffer before someone realizes something just isn't right???????!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? I know that this was not helpful at all. Im sorry. I just saw this post and had a lot on my shoulders. This is the kind of stuff that is bothersome.
I am a 22-year old (non-smoker) female who had been on Yasmin for 6 months. I was recently hospitalized for multiple blood clots in both lungs that the doctor believes to be linked to my birth control. I am currently on oxygen because my lungs may never heal completely and I may be on blood thinners for the rest of my life. I wish someone had told me this would have happened 6 months ago when I was put on Yasmin. I would have refused the pill and taken my chances with condoms. My six months on Yasmin has effected the rest of my life.
I too suffered due to Yasmin.  I spent three days in the hospital and had an acute bilateral pulmonary embolism (severe clotting in both lungs).  I even had clots in my pulmonary arteries, which lead to one's heart.  I was told that I would have to be on medication for 6 months- 1 year, and full recovery would take one full year.  However, the doctors attributed my lifestyle (healthy & active - I run approx 15 miles a week) the reason that I survived and the reason I recovered quickly (less than 6 months).  Approximately one month after my pulmonary embolism, I began running again.  Four months after my pulmonary embolism, I ran my first 5k event.  Although, it was difficult exercising at first, I learned that exercising helps to keep blood coagulation at healthy levels, either before or after a PE.  I'm sure there is other compelling reasons to exercise, but I now say that running saved my life.  And I have made it my mission to tell everyone I know that birth control pills CAN KILL YOU.  No one ever mentioned it to me before and I think doctors should make a point of it.  It should be an imperative.
I was recently hospitalised after developing blood clots in both lungs. I had been taking Yasmin for 4 months. I am 37 and very fit and healthy - I don't generally get sick. I have no known hereditary history but will be tested later.

Lucia (New Zealand)
I was in the emergency room last week for a pulmonary embolism due to a few small blood clots in my lung.  I have been on Yasmin for 4.5 years and am now off the pill and taking blood thinners and having to give myself injections.  Like many of you say above, I could be taking them for the rest of my life.  This is one of the scariest things I have had happen to me.  Like many others, I am a 27 year old healthy female who has not smoked ever.  It is very scary to know that something as simple as taking a birth control pill can potentially kill you.  Seems to me from the comments I've found on the internet that Yasmin especially seems to cause clots.  There needs to be something done to help prevent this in the future!!!
This is really scary! I'm so sorry to hear of what you have all been through. My doc put me on Yasmin two days ago as she said this pill has a low number of side effects...??!!  After reading this tho you have all completely put me off taking it.  And I realise everyone is different but after googling "Yasmin" it sure seems like there is a lot of out people having similar problems. Thanks guys for the info I would probably have kept taking it if I hadn't come across this.
I just want to say that I too was told that my condition was rare.  After reading these posts, I'm not so sure.  I was put on Yasmin after having an ovarian cyst and dysfunctional bleeding-not for birth control.  I was a healthy 40 year old non-smoker/non-drinker.  After 2 months and 1 week on Yasmin, I suffered a stroke due to a blood clot in my brain caused by this drug.  I will be on Warfarin possibly for the rest of my life and will be at an increased risk for stroke and heart attack for the rest of my life.  If you know anyone taking this drug, please warn them.  I thought that this couldn't happen to me as well!!
Hi All,  I have had two cases of severe Thrombosis in the legs and multiple pulmonary embollism in the lungs.  I too am on Yasmin.  The first time this happened, I was 25, healthy, with no history of clots in my family, and no known cause of the condition...except now I realise I had been taking Yasmin for only 4 weeks.  After 18 months I was taken off warfarin (but was left with permanent damage to my leg from the severity of the clot).  I stayed on Yasmin though as my specialists did not see it as a problem and I did not know about these experiences people are having with Yasmin.  In March this year at 28 years old, the same thing happened again! - Clots in the other leg and multiple large PE in the lungs.  Still I am on Yasmin as my specialists and Doctors have said nothing about coming off it.  The doctors and specilasts have been baffled why I should have this re-occuring condition when I have none of the known factors that contribute to clots and PE.  The more I read on the internet the more I believe that YASMIN is the cause of my condition.  I feel cheated that I almost died twice, all because of a contraceptive pill.  Thank you all for sharing your pain and experiences - it has made me realise that I am not the only healthy young woman to be suffering from something that I thought I had no control over...but now I am thinking that I do.  
I was just released from the hospital this afternoon after they found a clot in my right calf yesterday morning. I am 25, nonsmoker, semi-active and have been on yasmine for 3 years. I have to give myself shots in the stomach for the next 8 days and I'll be on coumadin for at least 3 months, when they will do another ultrasound on my leg and see what the clot looks like. I'll have to have regular blood level checks, but my doc luckily has a finger ***** mechanism so I won't look like a heroine addict when my husband and I go to the beach next month ;)
Oh, and yesterday was our 2 year wedding anniversary and I got to spend it in the hospital. How romantic!
I too just got out of the hospital with bllod clots in my left arm and Pulmonary embolis in both sides of my lungs. I had been on yasmin for more than 2 years- not for birth control, but to control symptoms of peri-menopause.  I downplayed my symptoms- NEVER thinking a blood clot would be the cause of pain in my arm and shortness of breath. Thanks goodnes for my husband who insisted I see the Dr.  I was taken off the Yaz immediately, but like you all am now dealing with shots, blood draws and coumadin for at least 6 months.  I am a nurse but still wasn't aware of the problems with this o.c.  I am very lucky, but disgusted by the disruption to my life and the stress to my family.
I spent a week in the hospital due to having a blood clot in my brain.  Very close to a stroke.   I had been on Yasmin.  Blood tests show that I do not have a clotting disorder.  I was 34 years old at the time - 2 years ago.
I like everyone else have been diagnosised with a PE! I was diagnosed in Febuary when I went to the ER because i thought I was having a heart attack. At first they thought it was my gallbladder and took it out. When the pain continued and became worse my Dr sent me to a Cardiologist who found a large blood clot in my upper right lung. Ever since, I have been on the Coumadin having to go bi-weekly for a protime test to regulate my blood levels. i am a very active 28 year old and never expected something like this to happen. I was on Yasmin for 3 years, and it almost cost me my life.
I was 24 when I was diagnosed with 2 blood clots in my lung. I had been on Yasmin for about 2 weeks. This is insane that there are so many of you out there! All the doctors I saw told me that this was very rare! Also I just had a baby two months ago and had to be on lovenox the entire time and any other time I get pregnant! This is CRAZY! Something more needs to be done about this!

Nicole, 26
I just found out my sister is in the hospital with blood clots in both her lungs and legs after taking Yasmin, she could have died had she not gone in when she did, she's only 27 and doesn't smoke or drink and has had no history of blood clots.  After reading this page I know I will never take Yasmin and I absolutley think that it should be taken off the market and those who have had blood clots should be able to sue the company for not researching it enough before putting it on the market!

LaLocks62
I am also 25, non smoker, healthy (aside from allergies, migraines, other minor health items). I have been on Yasmin for several years, mainly as a way to control severe period cramps.

Mine started one night, waking me up with leg cramps in the middle of the night. Next day my muscle was sore but I figured it was due to the cramps the night before, so did not worry about it. Over the next few days, the pain grew progressively worse. By the By the 4th day, I could barely walk, and the 5th day I went in to the doctor. I ended up being transferred into the urgent care for more testing. They ran blood work and found that my d-dimer was over 4000 (normal level is 500). This prompted them to do an ultrasound. They found that the clot ran from above my hip all the way down to my ankle. It was diagnosed as a DVT (deep vein thrombosis). I was immediately ordered to stop taking my birth control (Yasmin) and had to go on the shots and warfarin (generic for coumadin). I will likely have to continue the warfarin for 3 months, possibly up to six. When that is complete and the clot is under control, they can do the genetic testing to determine if it is a hereditary issue or not. I do not really have any other risk factors though. The only "long trip" I had taken was a 3 hour drive, in which I stopped several times to take my dog out. All signs point to the pill.

All of this happened 9/10/09 (the diagnosis). I have been regularly going in to have my INR/Protyme tested. I am still experiencing extreme pain in my leg and walking with a bit of a limp. I cannot walk for prolonged periods of time, and if I am still for too long, that causes pain as well. This has ABSOLUTELY affected my life, in an extreme way. I am sorry to hear that so many others are going through the same. It is not easy.

I keep having people tell me that I am lucky that they caught it when they did - lucky is not something I feel. I have also been told that I'm not old enough to be going through this - that doesn't seem to be the case either. Good luck to all...
I am worried. I've began to hear things about yas, yasmin, and ocella as of late, but never thought it was this bad.

I have been taking yasmin for5 years, until the past year when it was unknowingly switched to generic ocella. I have suffered for 6-7 years with UTI's bladder kidney infections. I also have HPV and am at high risk for cervical cancer. I am currently being treated for bacterial cystitis on top of all of that. And if ocella is causing all of this, I need to know. I just wnat to have a normal functioning and comfortable digestive/urinal health...

In regards to blood clots, as I said i've been on this OC for 6 years, my only real notices were lighter periods (no complaints there) and trouble sleeping or sleeping too much. Then all the UTI's and such began. in the past few weeks, I have passed menstrual tissue over 5" long. Knowing that these are usually just blood clots from the menstrual cycle, I'm still concerned of the size of this one.
What are the symptoms of blood clots, those specifically linked to yas?
I  started taking Yasmin as directed by my family doctor for low bone density I'm 28. I have been healthy otherwise. I hadn't taken the pill before.
After the second week I got very bad leg cramps. Numbness and pain in my arm, Mostly the left side, chest pains. Difficulty breathing. I was very dizzy, head pain, jaw pain, neck pain.
I've been to two emergency rooms. The first Doctor  (performed no tests)Said he didn't know what could be wrong and referred me to a birth control center.

I visited the second emerge days later when my symptoms got worse.
The Second doctor (no tests) sent me away with ativan. (My jaw was visibly asymmetrical my chart reads "TMJ." and "denies anxiety") I insisted this is not anxiety, but I was dismissed. This was a month ago, the same day I finished my 21 days on the pill. Along with these symptoms I was very depressed and worn out.

I have been coughing up blood for three days. Now My body goes numb from head to toe,I feel like I'm blacking out. I have vertigo & bad headaches daily. (my head pain feels metallic strangest feeling.)
I was only taking Yasmin for a month, and have been off it for a month (I will never take birth control pills again) But it stills feels like something is wrong.
I have an appointment with my family doctor next week(who I'm reluctant to trust) is there anything I might be able to say to the doctor, to get him to listen to me? Perhaps even just to run some standard tests? any suggestions welcome.
Thanks.
I have been taking Yazmin for 5-6 years and have always felt confident that it was the best birth control as far as having very minimal periods, very little cramping etc.  However I was watching tv last night and saw a commercial for one of those law firms advertising "if you have had blood clots from YAZ or YAZMIN call our office"  I had never heard anything prior to this about this pill.  I switched to Ocella about a year ago and the only difference has been more cramping.  My biggest concern is not about myself but for my daughter - she is 16 and takes YAZ not for birth control but for extreme cramping, heavy periods etc. I do not have a clue what symptoms to look for - I called my pharmicist and she said that "all birth control can cause clots, not to be alarmed" but I am.  And how do I know that another pill won't be the same or worse.  My daughter has horrible periods and she has been so much better on this pill.  I am just totally at a loss.
My teenage daughter is in the hospital with a blood clot in her arm, she was perscribed a birth control pill to control acne.
I am 29 years old and in August was hospitalized for blood clots in my legs and lung. I was also taking Yasmin.I dont think that this is a coincidence that all these young women are having blood clots. I am also a non smoker. I am now going to have to take Lovenox(blood thinner) injections when I get pregnant. I have no kids at this time and can't have any until I get off of the coumadin. Does anyone know about Lovenox and pregnancy? I am not too thrilled about the idea. I have no clotting disorders and now am going to have to change my whole lifestyle thanks to Yasmin.
I am so sorry for everyones experiences. I can sympathize. In june of this year I was hospitalized for 1 week on a heparin drip for a 9cm blood clot in my brain. I am thankful every day to be here, and ok with no residual other than the fact that I remain on coumadin. I live in Southern California and have seen many specialists. Wonder if anyone has gone off the blood thinners and had any other incidents. I plan to stay on it al least a year...but am very nervous to go off of it eventually, but would like to not be on it forever. Anyone with any experiences or advice?
Hi, I took yasmin for over 2 years and never had a problem, I recently stopped taking it for fear of one of these problems happening to me. I would like to know how long will it take for my body to 'clean itself', and if any blood clot had begun to form, how long would it take for it to dissolve (if it does dissolve).
I can't believe I am reading all of these cases of blood clots of people on Yasmin, and that they don't ban it? It is so negligent and cruel to stuff up peoples lives like this, and potentially put people at risk of stroke and death.
I had been on Yaz and then Yasmin for the last 5 months (stopped 2 weeks ago after feeling sever shortness of breath) and I have just come home from hospital tonight, and I too (like most of you) have a large blood clot, that goes from my knee to my stomach. I had been feeling pain in my groin for 5 days and asked a GP twice about it, and he said it is nothing, an then yesterday went to a different GP and he did an ultrasound on my pelvis (thinking it was my ovarian cysts growing), and then this morning I woke up in severe pain and could not walk. I went to emergency and they did leg ultrasounds and blood tests and have advised me I have this massive clot. Tomorrow I need to have another ultrasound to see if it has moved to my lung, I am so scared and upset. And I have to have Clexane stomach injections for 2 weeks (the nurse is going to come around everyday) and I have to be on warfarin for 3-6 months, possibly longer. I need to go very reguarly to have blood tests with my GP (they haven't told me how often yet) and apparently this is not going to go away immediately I will be in pain for some time yet. I just hope this doesn't kill me as I have so many plans for the rest of my life and cannot believe going on a contraceptive pill (which we are taught is the responsible thing to do) could cause me these problems.
Yas and Yazmin did me absolutely no good in decreasing the size of my cysts (the reason I went on it) so this has all been for nothing. So disappointed.
I hope you are all ok, thinking of you, lets hope they take Yasmin off the market ASAP.
If Yasmin is known for clots why is it still being prescribed??????

Here is my story:

I started taking Yasmin about 5 months ago..

I have been having cramps in legs and a wheezing feeling for about 3 months now but I downplayed it.

I went to my Dr. to refill my Yasmin prescription yesterday and told her how happy I was with the pill - less pain, lighter periods....hooray!!!!

Then in passing, I mentioned that I have a burning dull pain in my right chest deep under my breast, feels sometimes like a wheezing sensation and pain is more intense with activity.
On her questioning I confirmed I had shortness of breath and pain in back as well.

Because I have had these symptoms for sometime and I was not in a lot of pain, my Dr. doubted that it would be a blood clot but decided to test anyway because oral contraceptives are notorious for clots.

Early this morning I was summoned to do a CT scan after blood test yesterday came back positive for clots  ..... and yes .....CT scan confirmed clots in left lung....

Needless to say I was floored.... here I was ignoring these symptoms which are potentially life threatening..... I have had a stint with shortness of breath and heart palpitations a couple years prior and after many tests showed nothing wrong, my symptoms were attributed to 'stress' ..... so I did not want to make an issue of it this time around.....

I have been on other oral contraceptives before and after a bad stint with IUD decided to try Yasmin which my OB/GYN told me will reduce pain etc.... and it did!!! but what a price to pay...

So ...... I got my first of 5 blood thinner shots today and need to be on blood thinner pills for I don't know how long.... and have to do daily blood tests for now...

I am 21 yrs old and have been taking Yasmin for 16 months and have not had any problems with clotting so far. I do not smoke. However, I am very concerned about all the negative attention that Yasmin has been getting. I thought that you could only get clots or were at risk for clots if you smoked while taking the pill or if it was a genetic problem, so I am stunned.

I have looked up some information about Yasmin, and have found the following are risck factors for blood clots:
◦diabetes with blood vessel involvement
◦heavy smoking (more than 15 cigarettes per day) and over age 35
◦inherited or acquired blood clotting disorders
◦major surgery associated with an increased risk of blood clots after surgery
◦prolonged bed rest
◦severe high blood pressure
◦severe high cholesterol

(http://www.healthyontario.com/DrugDetails.aspx?brand_id=2052&brand_name=Yasmin  < this website has a lot of info including possible meds that could interact)

I also know as being a current nursing student that vitamin K (found in green leafy vegetables) affects clotting, so you may want to consider your diet or any supplements you may be taking.

Thanks for all the personal stories, it is very informative and helpful. I will definately be looking into a different birth control.

Tanya

I had the same experience as you, except I was not on Yasmin I was on Ortho-Novum. They found three clots in my lungs, and was hospitalized for 6 days and on coumadin for 6 months. I had no risk factors other than being on birth control, I was only 25 at the time.I also have no clotting disorders, they concluded that it was solely because of my birth control. My OB-GYN has also told me that I will have to be on lovenox during pregnancy and then go back on coumadin for 6 months afterwards. I am not too thrilled about this either, but she made it pretty clear that this was my only option and that it has no negative effects on the baby. It is such a shame that birth control pills have such a dangerous side effect, and yet no one is making a big deal about this! I would love to talk to someone who has had to do the injections during pregnancy
In late June 2006, I had minor surgery on my left foot.  A week later, I was experiencing a lot of pain in my left calf.  When I returned to the orthopaedist for my surgical follow-up (two weeks after my surgery), I mentioned the calf pain.  He immediately sent me for a Doppler study of my leg, which showed a blood clot behind my left knee.  They admitted me to the hospital the same day, and I was only allowed out of bed to use the bathroom-no walking, no shower, etc.  While in the hospital, they treated me with Coumadin and Lovenox.  I stayed in the hospital for five days, and was only allowed to leave because I was comfortable giving myself Lovenox injections.  After that, I was on Coumadin and had my PT levels monitored reguarly.  At the time, I was 31, and had been on birth control for years.  I can't remember now if I was on Yasmin at the time, but had been at some point in my birth control-taking career.  Like many of you, I have also never smoked.

About six weeks after leaving the hospital, I got pregnant.  I found out very early on that I was pregnant, because I knew I shouldn't be on Coumadin while pregnant.  I was put back on Lovenox twice a day for the remainder of the pregnancy.  My ob/gyn referred me to a hematologist, who tested my blood for every possible clotting disorder.  He never found any.  I had a scheduled induction about two weeks before my son was due (May 2007).  You cannot have an epidural if you're on Lovenox within the previous 48 hours, and because of the increased risk of bleeding, they chose to induce.  I went back on Lovenox for about six more weeks after he was born, and have not been on any medication since.  Now, though, any time I have a leg cramp, I wonder if it's another blood clot.

I found this site after seeing a commercial for a law firm representing women who developed blood clots while on Yaz or Yasmin and googling it.  I'm not a litigious person, but it occured to me that if there's a class action lawsuit because of this problem, perhaps I should add my name to the list, and hopefully, get something done.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person this happened to.
Hi everyone! i am a 23 year old female and i have never smoked and i eat healthy, i have been on yasmin for 7 years now and never had a problem until now i am getting sore legs and migranes (migraines) which i have never suffered from.  After reading this i guess i should get checked out as i just thought it would pass, how stupid of e afetr reading all of your experiences.  Anytime i go to my doctor about these re-occuring migranes (migraines) they just give me painkillers and thats it, i checked the symptoms of blood clots and migrane (migraine) is one and also pains in the legs which i am experiencing. Think its time to come off it.
I also suffered from blood clots (DVT and PE) while on Yasmin to control menstrual migraines. I was 20 years old at the time and had to be on bed rest in the hospital with a warfarin drip for 7 days. After I was discharged, I had to have twice-weekly blood tests and take coumadin for a year after the episode. I had no other risk factors besides being on the Yasmin at the time this happened, although the doctors told my parents that they thought i must be lying about not smoking because it was rare to develop blood clots so severe. One of the blood clots in my lung cut off circulation to the rest of my lung so badly that I have permanent lung tissue damage. I had also downplayed the symptoms (shortness of breath, pain when breathing deeply, feeling tired) as just a common cold, but when I went to the ER and had tests done, they actually brought in the hospital chaplain to my room because I was in such bad shape. I was able to eventually come off of the blood thinners and have not had any more episodes (it's been 5 years now) but will have to be on blood thinners during pregnancy. It was downplayed so much when it happened to me as being a rare occurrence, but it seems like there are so many women who experience the same horrible side effects.
What tests did the doctors run to find these blood clots? Were they found in chest x-rays? Im currently on Tilia Fe/Estrostep Birth Control and for the past month I have been short of breath...like I cant get a deep breath and chest tightness. My dr did a chest xray and said everything was fine. He told me I probably had anxiety. I don't feel that is true. Someone please help.
I am a very health conscious 36 year old with NO PREVIOUS HEALTH ISSUES.  I have been on Yasmin for a couple of years.  Yesterday I was diagnosed with a 10cm DVT in my leg. I broke my toe a couple of weeks ago and although I have been moving around I am normally a lot more active. The doctors believe my clot is due to a combination of the contraception and the lack of activity over the past two weeks. None of the doctors I have seen over the past few days have asked what contraception I am taking.  The only reason I realised the connection between Yasmin and clotting was from a news story which by coincidence aired on TV last night.  It is a concern that our medical professionals on the front line are not aware of the increased risks of clotting while taking Yasmin. The hospital sent me home the first night saying they doubted I had a clot and told me I could continue taking my contraception without asking me which one I was taking.  I was smart enough not to listen to their advise and stopped taking it immediately.  The hospital did book me in the following day for an ultrasound and it revealed I did indeed have a clot.
I was on Yasmin for 3 years when I was admitted to hospital with a suppected artery clot. After numerous tests and xrays and ultrasounds, I was diagnosed with a full extent blood clot in my major leg vein - from belly button extending down my leg and in the first stages of it in my arteries. It was the biggest clot the ultrasound lady had ever seen.
I too was a non smoker, non drinker, fit and healthy person who had not been in a plane, or sitting down for long periods of time, or prone to clots due to genetics. I was simply told - you are just one of the few people that gets clots from the Pill. Luckily I was put onto a medical trial of anti clotting long term medication (results due to be released in 2014) so was closely followed for 4 years by doctors. I was very luckily that I didn't loose my leg as doctors thought at one stage it might have to be amputated. Luckily for me I still have my leg but just have to wear a compression stocking for the rest of my life. But here's the doctors response when I asked about taking a different Pill - Never take any forms of the Pill ever again. Is that a good sign for doctors to say?

Now here's another story.
My neighbour has just been diagnosed with a left thigh vein blood clot AND she was also taking Yasmin! She's only 25 and very active and was also told - you are just that small percentage of people that gets clots from the Pill!

And here is a sad story:
A friend of mine was 26 when she suddenly died. She was a very active young lady who enjoyed life. After an autopsy, the cause of death was a 2cm blood clot in her heart and they also found another 3 blood clots in her lungs. The cause of the blood clots was put down to - Yasmin.

After reading all these posts about Yasmin and blood clots - don't you think that it's time people found out about what Yasmin is doing to us?
cant believe this! was also on yasmin for 4 months till one day i started coughing blood and couldnt breathe, i was 24  and they say it was so rare
PFFF doesnt sound rare to me!!!
and stuff like this never happened to me, this really can happen to anyone!!!
and people are stupid to think its not gonna happen to them
i agree i was 24! i was never told about the risks,and tested neg to genetic risks so it was all the yasmin, this is ********!!!
YASMIN= KILLER
After being on Yasmin for about 4 years, I essentially dropped dead in front of my husband at a business dinner in front of 400 people. I pointed to my chest, had a major seizure and then my heart stopped beating. My husband thought I was choking and started pounding on my back. Part of me still thinks that maybe moved things along though the doctor said it was because my heart was strong from working out. Anyway, in the ambulance (after I had come back) the doctors were asking me questions. I told them I was on birth control. In the ER the doctors were deciding what tests to do. I told them I was on birth control. They asked which one. The very second I said Yasmin, they sent me to CT for a chest xray with and without dye. Sure enough, major pulmonary embolism. Spent 2 days in ICU and 5 more in the cardiac ward. I'm now on Warfarin for a year. I'm 6 months out and still have pain in my right lung sometimes.  I had been having some pain which I chalked off to being out of shape, but turns out I should have listened to my body and checked it out with the doctor. I do have memory issues now, more than what a 42yr old should have, but at least I'm alive and I've got a good excuse. Yasmin is terrible.
Well, I too just got out of the hospital with Bilateral PE. Horrible chest pain and SOB drug me to the urgent care.   Went to Dr. the week before with foot and leg pain and was told I had plantar faciitis. (Was actually blood clots).
Now I am on warfarin and Lovanox shots..... no risk factors besides the birth control.
It is scary to see all the Yasmin users with the issue.  I would have never gone on it a couple months ago if I would have known so many people had these issues.

If you don't need the BC, don't take it..... too much risk!

Good luck to all suffering from the PE's and damage done.....
I was on orthotricyclen or its generic for approximately 10 years.  I switched to Yaz in May because I wanted my skin to be completely clear for my July wedding.  During my honeymoon, my right calf started hurting.  I thought I had pulled a muscle from walking/hiking.  When we landed back in the U.S., I was in the customs line and had to sit down on the floor because I was in so much pain.  I went to the ER that night and was diagnosed with a DVT in my right leg.  I had heard about pulmonary emboli from a friend of a friend who had just suffered from one (also taking Yaz!).  I was worried and asked the doctor if my lungs should also be checked.  He told me this would be pointless because I was showing no signs of a PE (shortness of breath, pain in my chest etc.).  I told him I did feel a slight sensation in my chest but that I thought the excruciating pain in my leg was overshadowing it. He still did not see a need for a CT scan. They were planning on releasing me from the hospital the following day on Lovenox shots.  That morning I passed out while trying to walk back from the bathroom.  Once again I requested a scan, and this time he finally consented.  They found countless clots in both lungs.  I'm now also on Coumadin for 6 months and am terrified of this happening again.  This fear is debilitating in itself, and I don't think I'll ever completely overcome it.  I'm 26 years old (25 when it happened) and all tests from clotting disorders came back negative. I know we are at a higher risk of a recurrent clot now because we have already experienced one.  I would really like some feedback from anyone about the chances of this happening.  If I stay off of Yaz and any other type of OC and try to lead as healthy of lifestyle as possible (no smoking, etc.), what are my chances of this happening again? I'd really like to hear from people who have or have not had recurrent episodes as well as the length of time that has passed since their initial clot. Thank you everyone.