Boil removal surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Boil removal surgery

Since I can remember I have suffered from boils in my armpit area and in my vaginal area.  I have had some removed in my arm pit but I did not like the way they were doing the surgery (with only local anesthesia).  I have recently been thinking more about having an operation to have the boils removed since it does not seem like this problem will stop like I thought it would.  I wanted to know if anyone else has had boils removed and if there are any options for types of surgery.  I also would like to know what recovery might be like since I am a full time student.

Thank you!
Hi there,

I just started getting boils in my armpits I am a full time college student too.  Is this perhaps stress related?  I am very worried because they have reappered within a month first it went away and now it is back within a week.  Oh no!  I am eager to find out if there is an antibiotic out there.  Sorry do not know anything about surgery.

Plat8
I have the same problem and have been dealing with this for a very long time.  I am actually going to a plastic surgeon tomorrow because he is the only surgeon that will be able to remove the roots that developed under my skin.  These boils were originally from a staph infection and have just gotten worse.  Everytime I go to my general practioner he tests me for MRSA which never comes up positive.  I also was reading that vits A^E are good for future boils.
How was your dr visit with the surgeon? I've had these for almost 4 years now. The first one appeared when I was pregnant with my little boy & it was in my buttocks which is also known as pilonidal cyst. So I had it drained & it kept coming back so I had to keep getting it drained because one dr told me to soak in warm water with epsom salt & prescribed me antibiotics to see if it would drain itself & it did work a couple of times. I eventually became tired of this method so I went to a surgeon so he could surgically remove it, hoping I would no longer have problems with it so he did the surgery & within 6 months, it would still leak, not sure what since he removed the cyst, I'm guessing the cut? So I went back & he said that was ok & put me on antibiotics & gave me some cream to put on it so that did help for a while but to this day, almost 2 years later, I still have problems with that same boil/abscess! But who knows? Maybe it's just that particular surgeon...some family members tell me they don't think he did a good job for me to be still having problems 2yrs later. Then, a while back, 2 boils popped up, 1 under each armpit so I decided not to return to the same dr. I scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist & I'm hoping she can help me with all 3 of my boils! I also did research on google & found one website stating if the boils keep popping up, it just might be a skin disease called Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS),,,,here's the link to the website
http://www.hs-usa.org/hidradenitis_suppurativa.htm

It's good to know I'm not alone out there & some people know the pain I'm going through.
Sorry that was meant to go to you~

It's good to know I'm not alone out there & some people know the pain I'm going through
Hello. Ive had boils in my groin area, bottom and armpits also. Ive had boils for over 10 years. I dont just get one i get about 20 at a time, And have hundreds of scars left from them. Could any one tell me what i could do? As there always popping up. Ive tryed all the creams, lotions, antibiotics. But ive never had it drained as there are always more than 10 there. The pain is excrutiating. and being pulled from pillar to post i would like to know if anyone knows about glan removal and scar removal is possible?~
Hello ive been having boils for over 10 years. They first started when i was 13 years old, in the armpit of both my arms. They have now spread to my groin and buttocks. I was wondering if any body else who has them ever gets hot sweats? Just every time i seem to get rid of them i will get a hot sweat and they will return to the point where i might get 4 or 5 on my groins of each leg. I have tried antibiotics where i have been on a course for nearly 3 months they work for a while but then they come back. I think the only way for these to go would be to get a referral from your gp to see a dermatologist. But i was wondering if anyone has had these removed and if you have how long was recovery and have they came back.
Thank you
I had broken my tail bone when I was 13 years old and I started getting boils on my buttocks then. I have had surgery on the boils 4 times this last time I had surgery on the boil was when I was about 4 onths pregant with my son. They told me if I didnt have the surgery it would harm my baby. The dr also told me that it would never come back. My son will be 2 years old in Oct. and I am suffering with a boil right now. I cant remember how many times Ive had them drained. I always get them in my buttocks never anywhere else. Ive done all the home remides that can be done. Iam so sick of this thing coming back! So Lizzy the answer to your question is yes Ive had mine removed and the recovery was about two weeks and almost 2 years later my boil came back.
Hi, first I would like to say if you have more then two at one time or keep getting them you have Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS).  I have suffered since I was 18 and I am now 40 and worse than ever.  I too get 8 to 15 at a time.  I have seen every dr out there, unfortunately there has not been enough study done and there isn't really anything they can do.  Antibiotics can help a little but you become immune to them; I am on my 18th different one (not good).  Next month (if my insurance approves it) I talked a Dr into putting me out and removing the core of four that will not go away (have had them for years over 8 years).  He said it won’t work but begged him to try so he finally agreed.  I will pray it works and I pray for all others who suffer with this.  If I had enough money I would start a fund raiser so someone out there can start REAL research on this disease and develop something that will work!  I think of this all the time. I know there are a few researches going on right now but so far everything they do fails or they can’t get it to pass. I make sure I stay on top of that!  I wish all of us who suffer could come together and do something, but….  Denise
hi im only 20years old ive been to 4 differnt gps and each one has told me it is soemthing dirrefernt first it was piles and then it was an irritation then it wa an anal fissure and now its boils but each time i have gone the pain and feel of the area is completely different, this tim ei have done alot of research and it does sound like boils i cant see them as they are right in between my bottom cheeks it hurts to sit,walk,move do anything really and i cant lay on my back i have to lay on my side
but it is only my right cheek which has this happened to it ..........
i had very severe gastro in december , then i started on weight loss tablets called duromine ever since then this problem hasnt gone away its making my life hell i cant go and do what ppl my age should be doing and i have a bf which makes it worse we have been together for 3yrs but it still has an effect on our love life as you can imagine ..........

someone please help me im going crazy with this, i want my life to be back to normal again without all these problems if anybody knows anywhere that does the surgery and how long it takes please let me know it would be so helpful :)
Hi every one I jus started getting boils at 21 I'm 23 now and they are extremely painful and I don't know what to do about it I get them under my arm I want to get surgery but there isn't a 100% guarantee that it will go away if anyone knows a solution please let me know
Hi, all! I have been battling hidradenitis suppurativa and MRSA for over 12 years. It's horribly painful, embarassing, and irritating.

The only thing I have found that CURES it, with zero occurance of boils, is a vegan lifestyle that includes fresh juice (not squeezed, but pulverized via a "juicer").

As others have mentioned, the boils are caused by toxins (that are caused by poor diet, stress, illness, medications, or any combination thereof).  The only way to get rid of them and keep them from reoccuring is to lead a clean lifestyle (inside and out).  

Animal products (meat, dairy, eggs) and sugar are highly toxic/acidic to the body and cause inflammation.  

Eating a clean, fresh, organic diet will purge your body of the toxins, build your immune system back up, and keep you healthy.  I know, because I have tried it. Once I went off the vegan diet (and started eating eggs, dairy, eventually a little meat)...all of the boils came right back, in the same spots, within a year.

The boils create tracks deep within the skin.  If the boil is drained, but the track not removed (via skin graft) the boil may very likely reoccur.  Eating a clean , fresh, organic, vegan diet (supplamented by Aloe Vera juice, Spirulina, Turmeric Capsules, Ginger Capsules) and drinking LOTS of water will clean out these tracks and keep them clean so the boils to not reappear.  

Watch the documentaries to learn more: Fork over Knife, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, Foodmatters, The ****** Miracle.  Many of them discuss cancer, diabetes, and other more mainstream diseases. But, the basis of their healing is the same for those of us with chronic skin, respiratory, and similar conditions.

As for me...I am waiting for the holidays to be over before I begin my 90 day juice feast (nothing but fresh, organic, alkaline based juice for 90 days). I am tired of these boils, like the HUGE one I have right now on the back of my right knee that I am terrified to have lanced tomorrow at the doctor, so 90 days of juice really doesn't sound that bad at all. :)  

A vegan lifestyle that includes juicing is totally safe and VERY good for you. You get ALL of the nutrients, proteins, fats, carbs, and calories you need, I promise. :)  I can't recall his name...but there is a world champion extreme/cage fighter who is vegan (and he is totally built and fit!).

Watch the documentaries and give it some serious consideration. Here's to everyone's health! :)
Hello, I am 26 years old and have been suffering from boils for as long as I can remember. My mother and my sister also suffer from them as well. My mother had surgery a few years ago on her under arms. What they did was, they went in and peeled her skin back from under her arms to about half way down her side. They scrapped the underside of the skin to totally remove all the sweat glans (glands) and hair follicles. The surgery took well over a month to recover from. They had to place drainage tubes under her arms that had to be emptied every few hours as well as bandages that needed to be changed often. The area that was opened was so big that she was totally unable to use her arms for almost 2 weeks after her surgery. After the first 2 weeks she was able to start using her arms a little more but it was still very painful for another few weeks. Now years later after all the recovery is done and over with, she is left with alot of scars. BUT she no longer grows hair under her arms and she no longer sweats under her arms and because she no longer sweats she has no BO from her arms as well, and NO MORE BOILS! So all in all she was VERY happy with the end results of her surgery.. Very Painful and a long recovery but she says if she had to go back and make the choice over again she would do the surgery over every time!
I was refer to a dermatologist  for a boil removal he recommended cortisone injections 10 visit later boil shrunk in size and after last injection he assure me it would soon disappear but it didn't and it actually grew back  and now I'm optioning to let my gp. Have a shot at it with a laser ouch
Ok i just had a absess (abscess) removed yesterday..from under my testical sack...it was huge..and the most painful thing i have ever been threw. Unfortunatley theres only two ways to remove it and thats 1- it goes away by itself...or 2- they use about a three to four inch needle to deadn it cut it open squeeze the **** out of it..the squirt water threw it to get the remaining puss out...but its take about two day for it to heal and yes it will leak puss untill your white blood cells get it all out !!