Boils and HIV

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Boils and HIV

I am a heterosexual woman HIV- and have been involved for 5 months with an HIV+ bi-sexual man. After a friendship of two months, we attempted to have safe sex a five or six times, with the condom slipping off twice. I know that I put myself at risk, and had to put an end to sexual activity with this man who I currently have a close friendship with, because of the possibility of future accidents. Shortly after our sexual encounters, he developed carbunkles on his buttucks (a problem he has had in the past), and was treated at the hospital. While he was in the hospital I cared for his dog, and slept at his house.
This week, I have a similar "bump" with a puss filled body growing bigger at the crease of my buttucks. It is not extremely painful, and my friend says it is just a pimple. I will go to urgent care/emergency if there are any red rings that develop, or if it does not empty soon. My question has two parts based on this "history:  1. Could my friend have passed an infection (such as Staph) to me because of rubbing around naked together when we were having sex, or simply because I spent time at his house where I may have picked up the infection on my hands; or is this some weird coincidence that I have a growing pimple like he did?
2. I have read that people with suppressed immune systems are more apt to getting boils...our sex accidents was a month and a half ago. I know I should wait 3 months after a possible HIV infection before getting tested, but I am worried..and would like some opinions. Thanks!
Avatar n tn
Personally, I am really paranoid about HIV, so, I would get tested now, and 6 months from the time your guys tried to have sex...just my person choice though.
Avatar n tn
It really sounds like a pimple. Do you get body acne? I know you're stressed, and 3 months is a long time to wait, but one pimple-type thing on your body is probably not anything to get all worried about. maybe you could go to a clinic and just ask a nurse practitioner or doctor what they think of it, to put your mind at ease. Did you have any flu-like symptoms a week or two after your accidents? That would probably be a better sign of infection than a skin bump.
Avatar n tn
There is an std forum on this site.  The dr. who answers the questions says that the 6 week hiv tests are almost 100% accurate for determining positive or negative status for HIV.  You may want to search through that forum and read some of his answers to similar questions.  

I really don't feel like I could give you very accurate answers to your questions.  They would just be my opinion.  You may want to ask the Dr. in the other forum.  I believe there is a small (ie, $5) charge for asking questions but he is very knowledgable.

I had a friend who died from HIV.  I stayed in his home until he had to go to the hospital.  I know I personally never got any staff type infections from him.  I hugged him, drank from his cup, helped with laundry, etc..  He was gay so we were not sexually active.  That's where I get a little more dim as far as your possibilities of receiving any disease or infection.

Good luck.  I really hope everything works out for you.
Avatar n tn
Staph can be passed and would develop if you had broken skin in that area.  Believe it or not the staph is easier to get than HIV.
Avatar n tn
HIV is not as "transmittable" as  people percieve it to be. It is deadly though, which is why it gets the rap that it does. I cant quote the statistics, but even if you have unprotected sex with an HIV+ person your chances of contracting the disease are less than 40% - granted thats still a worrisome thing. Boils happen to just about everyone, and yes, those with suppressed immune systems are more prone. Personally, I would get checked for HIV, just because you were at risk, but I really wouldnt start panicking. Boils are really contageous, and it might only take you touching a boil and then wiping your butt... Breathe easy and get yourself tested.
Avatar n tn
Thank you for your input..I did see a doctor last night. I was diagnosed as having "cellulitis" which is caused by the strep and staph bacteria and enters the body through an insect bind or broken skin. I'm on antibiotics, and received a long overdue tetanous shot.
Regarding HIV, I feel good about getting your opinions. I will get tested ASAP to feel more at ease.
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Dee1956 commented on photo
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals