Boils in groin area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Boils in groin area

I have these boils in the groin area and I can explain why they keep coming. I went to the emergency room before and they told me it was something in my blood and I shouldnt shave the area and only wax. I now have a quarter size one and Im really scared. I do have diabetes so I read somewhere thast my medication can cause this I take metformin. Is this true? Any suggestions on how to prevent them?

I used to get quite a few boils as well when I shaved, so I can see why they suggested the waxing.  These are most likely ingrown hairs, which can grow quite big and be painful!  I know, I've had to have one lanced by a doctor before, twice in fact.  There's a lot of sweat, heat, and moisture down there that can contribute to the growth of ingrown hairs, along with shaving.  I'm not sure about the medication so I cannot comment on that.  Prevention would be another form of hair removal if possible, other than shaving.  You may need to have this one that is the size of a quarter lanced if it's painful and bothersome.  Good luck to you :)  
My mother got many boils after she was Diagnosed Diabetes 2.  They do happen to those have have diabetes.  
You should learn to accept the hair.  It's there for protecting the skin.  The skin needs to breathe.  There is more to it than that.  Something that can make a happy medium is to just trim the hair with scissors instead of trying to shave it off.  That way you're not disturbing the roots and will be less prone to getting these boils.  I know you're likely concerned about hygiene.  Well, this will take care of that hygiene need.  I find that not having enough hair is just as bad as having too much hair as far as those odors we're all self-conscious about.  Also, not having the hair actually causes the skin to be irritated.  So, it's actually better to just trim the hair or leave it alone.  We were designed to have this hair for a reason, and since the person next to you out in public doesn't know if you leave your hair down there or not, it really shouldn't matter.  And, your significant other should accept your decision to leave the hair alone if your significant other really loves you.
It could be a very rare and very unresearched auto immune disease called Hidradentitis Suppurativa.  I have this too... I've had NO help from the medical industry...it's taken me 7 years of my own research to figure it out.  I'm doing diet and herbs to help it... they try to prescribe Humira, but that medicine can cause death if you're prone to infection which is what this disease is!  So... I don't recommend medical help at all!!  I want to raise awareness because so many people go throught their whole life not knowing what it is.  It's NOT JUST a skin condition!!  It's a very complex internal disease that stems from over active adrenals.  Google it... seriously!
what herbs do you take for the HS? please rsvp to sassy_saintAThotmailDOTcom. thanks!