Both arms fall asleep at night when sleeping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I hope someone can give me an answer to my problem I am fed up with my arms falling asleep at night I just want to cry!

It started with my 1st child in 2000 my right arm use to go to sleep I would actually have to get up and walk around shaking my hand to get the feeling, tingling and numbness to go away. This happened every night constantly. It sort of tappered off after my child was born it happened every now and then.

Then last year I was pregnant with my 2nd child. Needless to say I slept on the couch for the last 5 months because the pain would bring me to tears. But this time it is both arms. It starts at the top of my arm on the inside the side that is pressed against your skin then travels down and around to the inside crease of my arm then straight down to my wrist and fingers. Well I figured it was from the swelling of pregnancy so I tried to deal with it by chiropractic visits, circulations pills cold packs, sleeping on couch but nothing helped. And now my baby is 4 months old and I still have the problem in both arms. Even during the day if I sit in my recliner to hold my baby to feed him my arms go to sleep.

If you have never had this happen you would never know the pain.
But it is unbearable. I have to get out of bed and continously shake, shake and shake my hands to I get the feeling back and the tingling which hurts goes away and as soon I lie back down there it goes again. My arms are so sore after this all night, please,please I hope you have an answer and a remedy for me!!!!!
Have you considered the possibility of it being carpal tunnel? My mom had it in both arms and got to where she could drop an iron skillet without realizing it.
Have you talked to the Dr about carpal tunnel, you are very likely to get it when pregnant.  My mom had it in both hands but hers was because she works on a computer all day long.  She has had surgery on both hands and now dont have any problems at all. Hope that helps!! Jen
Is that the symptons of carpal?
I did work on computers for 10 years before I started staying home 3 years ago. Plus when you have the surgery you can't use your arms for awhile right, I can't do that with a newborn plus I stay home with my 4 yr. old plus 3 others I watch to make extra money. Do you know what kind of doctor I would see for this?

Thanks in advance!
I think your general Dr could tell you and then send you to a specialist.  Theres also wrist splints you could use, maybe just at night to help you sleep.  I believe the usual symptoms incluse your arms or hands falling asleep, tingling, dropping stuff.  I think surgery before more damage is done might give you a better outcome.  But if you cant right now I would discuss it with the Dr and maybe check into the splints at night.  I know when my mom had it she could only sleep on her back with her elbows bent and her hands (palms facing up) beside her face.  Sounds crazy but it gave her relief and a good nights sleep.
I had the same problem w/both my pregnancies...it was carpel tunnel.  With 2nd pregnancy, I got a shot of something (forgot what!) in one arm as a 'test', it did relieve the discomfort -- I never went back for the other arm as I delivered 3 weeks early.  Carpel Tunnel went away after births.
Well I tried to contact a doctor this morning about carpal tunnel and the receptionist said she thought it was something else some kind of neurological nerve I forgot the name she gave it. Has anyone ever had this problem, I am going to try and make a appoinment with a neurologist. As far as having carpal during pregnancy I understand but why after? Why am I still having it?
I also had carpal tunnel in both hands in my first pregnancy and it's starting to come back again (I'm 21 weeks). I read at babycenter.com that you can see an orthopedist if it's really bad. They also have a messageboard where you can find more people with this problem:
http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pregnancy/prenatalhealth/234.html
It does not matter how I lay on them they still fall asleep. Front, Back, This Side, that side up or down I have tried everything! Nothing works. I wonder if it is pinched nerves but I have not had any accidcents just the birth but it was like this during pregnancy.
do you sleep on your arms or with them above your head? Mine fall asleep if I sleep on them and if I sleep with them above my head, by morning I can't even move them, it's like they are dead. It's awful!!
My hands and arms up to the elbow fall asleep at night as well. The minute I wake up with this pain I elevate my arms, put them up on a pillow, and the sensation goes away.
I also experience tingling when I am holding something n my hands for a period of time, while shopping for example or reading. It's really irritating and debilitating as you know.
I went to my doctor and was scheduled for a test but the thought of them putting needles in my arms and sending electric shocks through them scared me more than waking up with dead arms.
I have worked on a computer for about 12 years but only mouse with my right hand so I'm not sure why my left hand and arm are being affected, perhaps pregnancy but that was  seven years ago.  
I am going to try acupuncture and will post the outcome after the treatment. Wish me luck and I hope my findings can help you as well.
have you considered talking to your doctor about having your thyroid checked?  It is an easy blood test.  I have hypothyroidism and some of my first symptoms were both of my arms falling asleep at night.  I was also very tired.  This was before my three children and if you just had a child, or have children at home you may not know if you are more tired than you should be as we all know how tired we parents, especially new ones, can be.  Something to consider
I read the posting you sent in 2006 about your arms falling asleep after the birth of your child.  I felt I was reading about myself.  I went to a vascular surgen and was diagnosed with thorasic outlet syndrome
I appreciate your response. My gut feeling is that my hands-falling asleep at night and occasionally during the day (on the phone or other long activities with hands in same position) is just an ongoing symptom of my hypothyroidism. My doctor apparently relies only on the blood tests and has failed to listen to me when I describe symptoms.
My arms fall asleep at night when I am sleeping on my side with my hands next to me. I am not sleeping on them however they are bent up at the elbow.  I do not wake up in the morning with "dead" arms, but it wakes me up during the night.  I am able to move and get the circulation back, however this happens almost everynight. Anyone know anything that I dont???
I have  the same problem.  I usually sleep on my sides, and the arm that is on top is the one that is usually asleep -from shoulder to fingertips.  It's normally never the arm that I am lying on - it's the one on top that is numb.  This has been going on for months now, and is really driving me crazy.  I wake up in the middle of the night because they hurt, and then I have to pick my numb arm up with the other and shake it to get the feeling back in it.  
I had this for a few months.  I thought it may be related to my neck (since I had whiplash a few year back).  I tried different things.  I FOUND ONE THING that did work for me.  I adjusted my PILLOW HEIGHT, when sleeping on my side it would be likely around 2 and a half inches, so my head would be straight.  It took about 1 month of sleeping like this, and then my arms stopped falling asleep.  I hope this can help someone else.
My arms have been doing this since 2003 but gets worse on occasion.   I have hyoptyroid and was off my meds for a month and it is terrible now!!   I also am a Massage Therapist and I have helped many people with carpal tunnel and thorasic outlet syndrome, both which are muscular and dont require surgery if you can get help through MT.  I would encourage everyone to try MT before you have surgery!!!  It cant hurt and it can certainly help.   As my hands are currently asleep I shall stop typing...
I want to tell of you...thanks.  I found out a month ago that i was pregnant.  I th
Every morning for the last 5 years I wake up with numb hands and now  numb and tingly arms as well. It started after skiing with the kids and holding onto the tow rope. I went for traction shortly after and that helped.  But now after working extensively on the computer for the last 3 years it is pretty bad.  I have been seeing a chiropractor but that has not helped my numb hands.  My general doctor says it might be carpal tunnel and suggested I sleep with splits.  I have not tried this yet.  My thyroid was checked a year ago and was fine.  My next step is to see a neuroligist.  Does anyone know how they test for carpal tunnel or any suggestions at all?
You know Ang, I believe, especially with the computer use history, that it most likely is something stemming from carpal tunnel. Make sure to go see a general doctor, he'll know what to do for sure.

- Julie, consultant for PN
I not only have problems with my hands and arms falling asleep after being on a computer for a long time or holding them up while working on house projects (hanging pictures, etc), but now, recently, my feet! At first it was just at night, but now it's through out the day, espeicially if I sit too long. I have been dx with reynaud's syndrom (syndrome), an autoimmune disease related to poor circulation, but I was wondering if there is more to this. LIke maybe Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD). Has anyone had this experience with feet falling asleep even when standing??
Thanks!
numbness/ tingling can be a compressed spinal disk  or a sign of multiple sclerosis...also could be from a lot of minor things like just sleeping wrong etc....me and my mom both (me 47 her 72) where taking Lipitor had the same probs with night time arm hand numbness discontinued med and it decreased a lot I have heard statin drugs can produce this side effect  just a theory not proven.
I believe my arms falling asleep is related to CREST scleroderma. This autoimmune disease started for me 2 months into pregnancy (pregnancy is known to trigger a lot of autoimmune diseases). My initial symptoms began with ankle swelling and toe numbness, swelling of the fingers, and little "pimples" on my cheek bone areas which later turned out to be diagnosed as telangiectasias.

Years later things got worse, and during that the arm numbness problem began.I experience this falling asleep of my arms up to 5 times a night. It turns out that many scleroderma patients do. This April 2009, a study showed that vasculopathy of the ulnar artery (artery running through the arm) is quite common in scleroderma. In fact, even prior to this it was well known that scleroderma causes all sorts of vasculopathy. Go google "CREST scleroderma" and see if you have any of the other signs of CREST. If you do, get to a rheumatologist for testing.
P.S. Like me, a lot of scleroderma patients complain of their arms falling asleep at night. You can read more about it at sclero.org.
I have  had both arms falling sleep at night -- and end up aching some during the day. It can also happen when I'm lying slightly inclined and holding a book in my hands.  When this happened several years ago I figured out that I was bending my wrist during the night, and by elevating my hand and arm on a pillow I could reduce frequency of it happening  However, it has occurred recently again and I now
attribute it to doing heavy yard work in which I was lifting logs and cement pavers and edgers -- or anything in which I had to grab and lift something with my hands and arms.  Elevating the arm and wrist doesn't seem to make a difference -- just not doing the work for a few days and giving my arms a rest helps.
I also agree with the observation that if the pillow hight is too high it increases frequency of it happening.  Lowering my pillow height seems to help.
Tingling but not falling all the way asleep
Mon morning I will be going to doctor to
see what going on I'm getting nnervous because
I have 5 other kids and this is the first time
Something like this has happened.
I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism over a year ago and now the past 3 months I have been experiencing my arms falling asleep no matter what position I am in. I wake up and move them and they are then fine. I have never taken anything for my hypothyroidism because  my blood test results were telling me that the levels were getting closer and closer to normal. I wanted to wait this out and see if my thyroid was off due to having a baby. But now having the numbness, I am going once again to check my blood levels and see if they have increased. If so, I will still try and seek a natural alternative rather than be dependant on taking a pill every day for the rest of my life.  
I've come across a website called rawforlife.co.uk It has loads of excellent health info about the raw fruit and veg diet.
My hands started falling asleep last Dec. I get up multiply times a night to wake them up via moving them or sitting up. My neurologist thinks its the start of carpo tunnel but I have also been taken a staten for about a year and I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism...so I dont know.. take a pick. I am going to ask about the braces to see if they help because as most of you have said this is driving me crazy. It is 5:30 am right now and I should be sleeping but am up rubbing my hands..so it really *****..plz keep me posted on things that work for any of you and I will do the same
Thanks everyone for you comments. I was starting to get real worried. For the past week my arms have been falling asleep for no reason. Also I wake up in the morning to find my arms asleep. After reading everyone's comments. I am sure its from my Hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed with it 4 years ago. My last blood work showed that my levels were still low and that was a year ago. Also if you are on Birth control your blood work will not show accurate levels. I have recently went off birth control and I am guessing my thyroid levels have fallen even more.
Again thanks, Lisa
I am  41 years old woman, 2 boys 16 and 13 years old, i have the same exact problem Ang2127, i work in a cable assambly company for 5 years, i have to get up and walk to stop the pain, doesnt matter how i sleep, any position still the pain and i wake up 4, 5, 6 etc... times during the night with that, sometimes is my left arm ( fingers) and sometimes right arm and sometimes both arms but my pain is on my fingers, i feel the blood is just in my fingers, i do everything to stop the pain, massage my arm with my nails to circulate the blood or shake it, sometimes (almost all the time) gets worst, i am so tired of that and i'm even afraid to go to sleep because iknow what is going to happen in the middle of my sleep.  This is driving me crasy and i dont know what to do on my own without any pills or things like that.
I like all of you have the issue of my hands going numb while asleep. In addition they sometimes go to sleep while I'm driving or crocheting or reading or any number of activities. Now after a particularly bad night of the numbness (very painful) I'm having trouble moving the middle finger of my left hand. Someone had mentioned to me that it might be a circulation problem but I just don't know. Does this all sound like what you all are experiencing?
Im glad to come across this because i've been having alot of problems with my arms and hands falling asleep. Especially when I wake up in the morning. I've also been having throbbing in my toes and finger tips. I've recently visited with an Internal Medicine Dr. because my General Dr. was not being agressive enough.
Im under alot of stress with my husband being overseas so I keep hoping this is stress related.Im also on the computer alot too.My Internal Medicine Dr. has ordered numerous lab work and I feel were finally getting somewhere.
I had the same issue where at worst both arms were falling asleep, sometimes just had numb fingers on my left hand.  You can find more by searching under the medical term "idiopathic peripheral neuropathy"  or just "peripheral neuropathy".  This just describes the symptoms, not the cause.  However, for me, I noticed that the symptoms were less severe when I'd eaten spinach, did some research, and have had success with iron supplementation (I'm using Fergon).  Copper is required to utilize iron, so that could play a role, and Vitamin D deficiency may also play a role.
I've been experiencing this for a few months now.  I noticed that when I slept in one of our beds in our Lake house (for the weekend) that the pain would start.  Sometimes my arms go numb, but it would be the usual kind.  After recently sleeping at the Lake, the pain would start when I would "wake" my arm up.  Then when I would get home, (sleeping in my own bed with my pillow), the pain would get better, but still be present.  I decided to change pillows at home and found that a flatter pillow slightly under my back (so that my back and neck are straight) felt much better.  Then I changed to a large, soft body pillow and found that I could wrap it under each arm (like  U; with my head at the loop in the bottom) and that pretty much took the pain away.  I've had 2 nights of good sleep so far.  I'm not sure what it is, but the pillow height seems to be an issue.  We are going down to the Lake again this weekend and I'll be taking the body pillow with me.   I'm not sure what started it, but if it continues to be an issue, I'll see what my doctor says
Try a softer mattress or a memory foam or pillow-top pad. Too-hard beds can cause pressure points and misalignments. Don't forget to get the right pillow to keep your neck straight with the spine. This applies whether you are a back or side sleeper. Dunno about tummy sleepers since I haven't for years. But a bit softer sleeping surface stopped my arms going numb! Worth a try.
This is exaclty What happens to me. About three years ago it happened to me every night for about a month but then it went away. And now it's back again my right arm falls asleep completely from shoulder on down. It's is very painful, annoying, as well as frustrating when your hving to wake up constantly in the middle of the night.
Hello all. I am NOT pregnant and I am having a lot of issues with my arms falling asleep while I'm trying to sleep. However, when I get woken up at night because of the ridiculous amount of pain I am in, my arms don't wake up right away. In fact, it takes several hours to regain full feeling and strength in my hand. I also can't stretch or extend my fingers for the first hour or so. It's definitely getting to the point that it is unbearable. I don't sleep in this arm on purpose. It's been happening a lot lately and I am worried that it may be pretty serious. I'm only 25. I also don't work on the computer and am rarely on. It is very painful and sometimes I can't get it to wake up for periods of time and I think my arm is going to fall off. Sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions?? Thanks!
I am so glad to know some one else has had the same symptoms I have, not that I wish pain on anyone but just that I'm not alone! I have been experiancing severe pain and numbness in both arms from shoulders to finger tips while sleeping! It wakes me up no matter what time of day I lie down or how I lay! I have to rub and shake my arms and hands to get any relief and take pain meds! One thing I have found out that helps is heat! I put a long sleeve shirt on or soak in tub or use heating pad. Hope this helps out! I'm going to my nuro doc at the end of month and I will ask him bout it and post what he says.
I read your comments from back in 2006 and feel that u are experiencing the same pains as i am. Its a numbness but is also VERY painful. The other comments i read in reference to your question, all related the "sleeping arms" to pregnancy which i guess can cause carpal tunnel, but that is not the case for me. And u had said your pains came after you had given birth; so pregnancy, i think, was unrelated in your case.  It is unbearable and i believe in our case the pain is not related to pregnancy and/or carpal tunnel. I am 27 and have never been pregnant or worked at a computer for a relatively long period of time. I used to do a lot of manual labor on a daily basis but did not experience anything more than the occasional arm numbness. The pains and numbness that i am feeling now scares me because it usually only happens in my left arm so i thought it had to do with my heart and/or blood circulation. My arm and hand also goes numb during the day, sometimes while i am active but also sometimes while i am just sitting or standing. I have tried everything while its happening to make it go away but no position or motion helps. Its been happening almost ever night for the past 6 months, give or take. So needless to say i have tried to fall asleep in every position i could think of, put pillows at various heights to keep the blood from rushing away but nothing even reduces the pain or keeps it from happening.  I just have to wait and message my arm and then it goes away. I would very much like to know if your pains have gone away and if anyone can tell me what this actually means. I am pretty desperate at this point and want to enjoy nights of rested sleep. Thank you to whoever is listening

I also have the same prob. I wake five if not more times a night with numbness and pain. During the day it starts all over. Driving. Writing. Eatting. Doing my hair. Helping my three yr old eat. Right now typing this. Havent been to dr as i have no insurance.  Dunno what to do either.
For the past month, I have been waking up several times per night with severe pain related to my right arm having fallen asleep. The pain and tingling can last up to 10 minutes, and I've tried many things to get it to "wake up," including hanging my arm off the bed, walking around shaking it, and running my arm under warm water. This morning the pain and tingling lasted more than 30 minutes, and I had trouble getting ready for work because my arm just wouldn't function properly. I also experience a burning sensation when it's starting to "wake up." I am in very good shape, exercise daily, and eat a low-fat vegetarian diet. I have been this way for 10 years. I am only 31. I'm a psychologist, so I don't spend too much time working on the computer or doing any heavy lifting. I sleep in various positions during the night, so I know it's not because I'm just sleeping on the arm. My thyroid is fine. My only health issue is that I had spine surgery 1 1/2 years ago, but it was a fusion of my L-5, S-1, so the nerves that run through my arm are far away from that place in my spine. I haven't had any neck injuries. I just don't know what is going on, but I am freaking out about it more and more as I experience it more often and for longer periods of time. This morning was the worst. I have an appointment with my chronic pain doctor, so hopefully he will have some suggestions or referrals. I'm glad, as many others have said, that I am not alone in this.
There is another syndrome that might be causing your problems. Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS) is pain, numbness, tingling, and/or weakness in the arm and hand due to pressure against the nerves or blood vessels that supply the arm. It is due to tight muscles, ligaments, bands, or bony abnormalities in the thoracic outlet area of the body, which lies just behind the collar bone. Pressure on the nerves is the problem more than 95% of the time, but occasionally the artery or vein is involved. You need to see a vascular surgeon and be tested for it. The most common cause is a neck injury like whiplash but can be caused by other things. Also, excessive stretching and exercise will only worsen the condition. It does have decent response to proper physiotherapy and light stretching but some people do require surgery. Research TOS!
My arm started to fall asleep at night a year ago.,during the day I have muscle pain, can hardly bend my fingers, and recently my left arm has also started to suffer.,I was so worried that it would be beginning of MS!.. I saw a Profesor in Neurology and it turns out to be THE CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME, altought it is painful, I am most relieved that MS has been ruled out. I was told that so many people suffer from this syndrome.

If your arms fall asleep and get all the discomfort associated with it, do not worry it is not MS, the Profesor told me that in general the main symtomps of MS are:you have double vision, your face and arm or leg fall asleep and remain like that without a break for (at times) an entire week or two!. The main issue is not to wait too long before taking the desicion to see your doctor!, if your ams fall asleep you need help.
I am 24 weeks and my doc said to wach it. This could just be the baby on a nerve in my back. But it is getting more and more painful and more frequent and I'm bout to go nuts. I work at a packaging plant where a lot of coworkers have had surgery for carpal tunnel. And they were not even pregnant. So who knows what my problem couldbe. At my next doctor's appointment I will make it very clear that I'm in a lot of pain.
My hands fall asleep so I have been sleeping close to the edge of the bed and hang my hands over the edge in addition to wearing wrist braces that help a lot.  Also eating less salt seems to help.  I have been dealing with this for a few years now.  Has anyone had surgery for carpal tunnel that have experienced hands falling asleep?
Well, I did initially get this pain and asleep hands from my pregnancy, and ended up wearing two braces, for both arms... in fact while in labour, this pain in my arms was worse.  Haven't really had alot of issues in the past few years, until about 3 months ago when I went back to work in a coffee shop.  All of a sudden the pain is back and I am up 2-3 times a night!  Now I am trying to figure out if it is from the work that I am doing or maybe because of my increased fat/salt/processed food intake.  So I think I will stop eating the donuts/muffins/coffee sweets... and see if it makes a difference.  I know that I have definitely increased my intake and I ate mostly home cooked meals and not a lot of processed foods!  Maybe this will help
Follow-up:  for me, this turned out to be carpal tunnel syndrome.  Easily fixed by changing the set-up on my computer keyboard.
Hi there..began having this problem after I moved to NH from FL. Only at night and sometimes from holding the phone for awhile. Thought it might be the angio tension blood pressure meds I was taking so decreased that. Seemed to help a little, but also made a trip to the chiropractor. I think that did the trick.  Probably nerve pressure, but it scared me enough to decide to do something about it...let me know how you make out!
I had this problem found that using a microwaveable heat neck thing subsided the numbness in hands at night   and pain I,  i think the problem is in my neckhavent gone to doc yet thought it was carpal tunnel but it's a combination of that and neck issues
I totally used to have this problem very badly. I would cry too it was so painful. I believe for me it was pinched nerves in the neck/shoulder area.. I would wake up at night and would take 20 mins for my arms to come back to life.. For me I just had to loose some weight. 20 pounds did the trick. I still occasionally have minor asleep feelings if I fall asleep on my stomach with arms under my pillow/above my head (my favorite way to sleep!! >_<) Thought I'd share, not sure if your overweight but that would possibly be a factor if so. Hope you feel better!
My strong suggestion is to see an osteophathic physician who practices "manipulation."   In short, an osteopathic physician is like a chiropractor (but infinitely better), as they actually attend medical school.  The key is that the osteopathic physician must perform "manipulation" (a term of art).   Many osteopathic physicians don't perform manipulation. These doctors are unreal.  They solve these type of "freaky" problems all the time. I'll give the names of a few of these doctors at the end of this posting.  About 15 years ago, I had a roommate who was an osteopathic physician.  Had never heard of one and presumed it was some quack science.   My roommate solved these types of weird problems all the time.  I later had some quirck injuries and he fixed them (I was totally amazed).   He told me that manipulation solves almost all bizarre problems.  
    Two osteopathic physicians that I know are in California and Florida (my old roommate - - he moved back to Florida from California - - bummer).  The osteopathic doctor in California is Aline Fournet, located in Escondido, CA.  It is unreal what she can do.  The doctor in Florida is Brett Thomas, in Orlando.
   Both of these osteopathic physicians trained under the top osteopathic physician in the world, Viola Fryman, who runs a center called "The Osteopathic Center for Children" in San Diego.   They don't simply treat children, however, Dr. Fryman does limit her treatment to children.
My arms have been falling asleep at night, especially my right arm, due to heavy manual labor of digging post holes. I am a 50 year old woman and only 5' 1". So as others, who have posted on this site, I believe my problem is pushing myself too hard. I really like the idea of going to an Osteopathic Physician should my symptoms not disappear after I am no longer digging the post holes. I am also going to try "Deep Blue" an essential oil rub which has Helichrysum Oil in it which is very healing to tissues.
Look into thoracic outlet syndrome and try some of the stretches for pectoralis ( front of the shoulder) and other shoulder stretches.