Women's Health Community
Break-through Bleeding (?) and Endometrial Biopsy
About This Community:

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Break-through Bleeding (?) and Endometrial Biopsy

About a few weeks ago, I posted about some abnormal bleeding I had and birth contorl pills I was prescribed to take and want to thank everyone who responsed with the helpful comments.  Unfortunately, the new birth control that I was prescribed never completely stopped my bleeding (It's been about four weeks now of bleeding!).  It seems to slow it down (at least I don't bleed 24 hours a day anymore), but I still get heavy bleeding for about 3-6 hours a day straight with about 3 or 4 large clots (about the size of a kumquat) being passed. Once the clots pass, it seems that the bleeding stops(but then the cycle happens all over again the next day).  I understand that it takes time for bodies to get used to birth control, but should this be happening?  Would this heavy, clotty type of bleeding be categorized as break-through bleeding, or is break-through bleeding more like a light flow?

Also, my doctor told me that I will have to get an endometrial biopsy done since the lining of my uterus is thickened.  I was wondering if this is painful?  I heard from the nurse it only takes 10 minutes, but they told me I should take 2 advils before coming in.

Has anyone had this done before?  Is it like a pap smear (it seems so...)?
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
i had a endometrial biopsy a few weeks ago myself, i'll admit i was terrified and didn't know what to expect. I also was told to take 2 advil or tylenol before coming in, it does take about 10-15 minutes and the pain varies depending on the person.I had more pain than most due to other female issues. But all in all i had more discomfort than pain for a couple days after. Best advice i can give you is if the pain feels to much after the biopsy call dr for more advise.
Blank
The biopsy actually causes cramping, like bad menstrual cramps.  The ibuprofen should help that and it only lasts for a short while.  Good luck and don't be worried, it is not that bad.
Blank
I had my biopsy today and it was painful when they first started and I was little shocked since it was supposed to be a quick procedure.  But, when it was finished, I was so relieved.  Luckily like you said, it only took about 10-15 minutes.  I'm feeling cramping, but also bleeding a lot more.  My doctor has me taking two birth control pills a day for this whole week.  If you had bleeding after your procedure, how long did it last before it lightened up a bit?

Thanks again for your responses.  I really appreciated your helpful comments.
Blank
I had 3 endometrial biopsies and it was very painful.  She said she would repeat it in 6 months and unless I gave have anesthesia I will never have another one.  I had this Friday and it is Sunday night and I am having pelvic pain and I am bleeding quite a bit with clots.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Recent Activity
Blank
debbiehoffman commented on Attention All Mouth B...
43 mins ago
790669_tn?1424536298
Blank
Des_a_rae Great news at the Dr. Dads... Comment
2 hrs ago
790669_tn?1424536298
Blank
Des_a_rae commented on AF you evil witch!
4 hrs ago
Blank
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Start Tracking Now
Blank
Weight Tracker
Reach your weight goals
Start Tracking Now
Top Women's Health Answerers
973741_tn?1342346373
Blank