Breast milk production after miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Any one had a M/C after 11 weeks and your breast was producing milk?
I ask this question because I had a missed miscarriage on june 12th and had d n c on june 17th.  No baby in uterus but my breast are leaking breast milk.  This is so terrible to have this happen and have to baby to look forward to, to breast feed.  I am back so sad now:(  When will the breast milk stop producing?
Hi Latrice-
I had a miscarriage this week at 11 weeks.  It was detected on sonogram that the baby didn't have a heartbeat anymore--I did not have any symptoms of the miscarriage.  I had a D and C on Wednesday morning.  It is Saturday now, and I believe my milk came in.  It is terrible!  I know, because I've had two babies and breastfed them--this feels the same.  My breasts are sore, swollen and hard.  It is the worst reminder of what has happened.  I never knew this would happen, and just got on the internet to search it.  Let me know how you're doing!-
alison
i had my first scan last week at 12 1/2 wks preg to find that the baby had died at 9 weeks so had a D&C the next day. i too am leaking milk n no baby to feed with it but i guess that as ur breasts start gettin ready from the day you fall pregnant that milk has to go somewhere??
ugg i know how a miscarriage feels.. im 17 years old.. i had lost the baby days after i found out i was pregnant (i found out on january 16th a saturday and i lost the baby that wednesday) its been almost 4 months sence i lost the baby and i just noticed im leaking a tad bit of milk... i never got to find out how far along i was.. im still not sure why i just noticed im leaking (sence im leaking little amounts) it caught me really off guard when i noticed (i was in the shower) i am currently on my period to so that caught me even more off guard. Its a scary thing.
I had a D&C 10 Days ago. Found out at 12 weeks that the baby had stopped growing at 8 weeks. The whole situation still blows my mind. I specifically asked the doctor if I would produce milk and he said no..... Now the last 2 days my breasts have both been very sore and swollen. Now I am leaking milk from both sides. What in the world is going on? And how could my doctor not have told me yes when I asked that question!
i was also 11 weeks pregnant when i found out my babys heart wasnt beating anymore, two days later i got a D&C (friday) and now it is the wednesday after i got it and i noticed my breasts are leaking, milk, well its not exactally milk its more watery! i am guessing it is just the hormones changing, but i am not sure. this was my first pregnancy and im 19. I also  want to know if you should somehow get rid of the milk becasue i heard that not breast feeding can cause breast cancer later in life.???

I  had  3  miscarriages,  1st in  2006  - 8w,  again  in  2009  - 6w &  the  latest  one  last  week  (23/10)  - 19w ever  since  my  first  miscarriage  my  breast  milk  has  never  stopped.  I  really  hate  the  feeling  as  I've  a  lot  of  milk  to  feed  an  army  but  no  baby  to  feed.  

Please  help,  how  do  I  stop  the  breast  milk?

Hello everyone and sorry for all of your losses. I'm 28 and I've also recently just had a miscarriage on Sep 18 at 12 weeks, my first pregnancy... My breast started leaking in August,(I didn't get the swelling but just a little bit of nipple soreness) and stopped in October, or so I thought. In November I was in the shower and I squeezed my breast and milk started shooting out of it! Since then I've done it once a week and it is now Jan 3 and they are still shooting out milk! Can someone please tell me if this is normal????
Im 15 years old yes im the youngest here,and i also had a miscarriage at 8weeks on march 27,2011.due to having RH negative blood but after 10 months i also been squirting milk. or what ever it is.mine is more of a watery and a bit cloudy white. it shoots out of no where when i squeeze. sometimes i forget about it and other times it occurs to me that im squirting water out both my boobs.At first i thought i was pregnant again but i guess it was just phantom pregnancy.also multiple negative tests. im confused and need help or just set up an appointment for my obgyn but i am unsure if they do breasts examinations.
Hi,  I too had a misscarriage last week.  I went for my 12 week scan and found out that the baby had died at 9 weeks.  I had the d & c last Tuesday and two days ago my boobs started leaking this watery substance. I was lying in bed with my fiance and he had his arm around me and all of a sudden he started shouting bout there being a leak in the roof, when in actual fact my boob had dripped onto his arm. :( So embarrassing.  I asked my mum and she said that this is just the milk coming away.  I'm so sorry to hear that so many of you are experiencing the same thing as it is killing me that my boobs are producing food for a baby that no longer exists.  
i was also 10 weeks pregnant when i found out my babys heart wasnt beating anymore, one days later i got a D&C and now after 3days i noticed my breasts are leaking, milk, well its not exactally milk its more watery!why did thiscoming??
Don't squeeze that makes it worst! More milk will produce , use ice to stop the milk production:)