Breast tissue in underarm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Breast tissue in underarm

I have a lump on my underarm.  It is not painful but it is ugly and it makes me very self conscious.  When I got pregnant it really got big and filled with milk my doctor said it was breaast tissue that traveled into my armpit and that as long as it didn't hurt it really wasn't anything to worry about.  It just looks like extra baggy skin and as a result I can't wear sleeveless tops.  I've never known anyone else who has this to ask what they think or feel.  My husband thinks if it bothers me so much I shyould have it removed.  I am scared and want to know what the health risks are.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Shat should I do about it?
Viewing 1-200 comments:
My mom had something similar and went in to have it removed. She has a tiny scar, but is glad it is gone. I don't know what caused it. Her procedure was outpatient, so she went home the same day.
My mom also had this problem and had it removed. She went into surgery for about 45 mins, came out, went home and that was the end of it. Both my sisters now have breast tissue under their underarms and both hate the way it looks. They both had it checked out and the doc told them it was harmless. One sister though has been complaining that it hurts her when she is close to getting her AF so shes going back to the doc to possibly have it removed. Im sorry I cant really give you any info on it though but just know youre not alone ;)
Thank you for your comments Its very helpful to know i'm not the only one. I think I will start looking into having it removed.
I had this as well, and had it removed before I had my kids.  Funny, though, when my milk came in after each pregnancy, this area was swollen again!  However, when I stopped the "engorged" stage, it went back down.  It was a great surgery for me, b/c the lump rubbed against my bra when my arm was down, and did cause some discomfort.  Good luck--
I have a lump under my armpit as well.  I went in to get a CT a couple of years ago and was told that it was only excess breast tissue; thus I am not too worried.  However, I do feel slight pain if I press on it (I assume it is normal because the rest of my breasts are sensitive in the same way).  I also am very self conscious about the way it looks when I wear sleeveless shirts.  I am considering getting it removed.  For those of you who have gotten your excess tissue removed, was it done surgically?  What was the price range? How was the scar?  Did the lump ever come back permanently?
I am recovering from having breast tissue removed from my armpit. I had surgery just over 2 weeks ago and the best thing ever. The lump used to hurt especialy at night in bed when I would sleep on my side. It also looked ugly and like another boob. My surgeon did an excellent job with the scar so far it looks okay. I would say if it hurts and you are concious about it have it removed. My sister also had both armpits done.
I'm a mother of two and pregnant once again.  I thought I was one of the weirdest women on earth...thank you.  I first noticed the engorged lump when my daughter was born and yes milk leaked out of it.  It got so bad, my husband helped me "pump" it,and I got two oz. out of it.  Now pregnant with my third, I have swollen breast and terribly tender underarms, it hurst to sleep on my side and I'm definatley considering having it removed after my baby is born.  Maybe we're all "normal" afterall.
Ladies I too have the same problem. I only noticed the tissue with my last pregnancy, but not my first over nine years earlier. My youngest just turn 1 year old on the 14h of June and throughout my entire pregnancy, I felt tender under my arms, more so on the right side. I started complaining to my OB and he sent me to a breast center to have a unltrasound. And they commented this was a common however, I was the worst they had ever seen. My OB said that they would probably go down after the baby was born, and if I breast feed, they would go down once I stopped. I never noticed they went down, I stopped nursing my son at 7 months months and soon after I fould out I was pregnant yet again. My due date is some time in September, and I just started noticing the tenderness recently,  I think the darn things are getting even bigger. My OB thinks I should be positively sure I will not be having any more kids before I get them removed, and I am pretty sure. They are so gross and I have never been insecure before but I really am now, even in front of my husband, he just laughs about them and says "they look like nutsacks"  that's just gross! It's summer, I'm hot, and I can only manange to produce summer babies. I'm sorry to all you other women out there that have similar issues, but it does make me feel good to know that I am not the only one.
Can any of the ladies out there tell me the name of the procedure to have these lumps removed??
I also would love to know the name of the procedure...and who exactly do you go to to have it removed?  A breast doctor, plastic surgeon...etc...

Debbie
I have had these lumps since my first baby was born in 2001.  I now have 4 children and have had problems with the tenderness of them for the past six years.  They are the size of ping-pong balls and it is very hard to find a bra that fits with out it rubbing or poking the excess tissue.  It is very embarrasing.  I won't wear a sleeveless shirt.  However, my best friend is getting married this Sept. and I am the Maid of Honor.  Of coarse the dresses are sleeveless.  I was referred to A PLASTIC SURGEON by my primary care physician.  The plastic surgeon told me the medical term (of which I can not recall at this time) and continued to tell me what the procedure entails.  There will be two small scars not under the arm, but a little in front (where it creases).  It is actually liposuctioned out.  The nurse called it a breast reduction, but that was not the technical term.  The Doctor explained that I may  have drainage tubes for one or two weeks following the procedure to empty the drainage so there is no risk of infection.  I have been told to wait until I was done having children before getting this surgery done.  I'll let you know how all goes.  The surgery is planned for later this month.  Good luck to you all.  That nutsack comment cracks me up, Cause it's true.
i recently went for a physcial exam and my doc found that i have swelling in my right under arm and asked me to get an ultrasound scan done. i got ultrasound scan done and they said that the lump is my breast tissue and referred me to a surgeon.  

i am yet to meet the surgeon...would any one please let me know, how the procedure is done, will u be given genereal anesthersia,  how much does it costs, how long do we need to stay in the hospital..etc

i am feeling relieved to see that i am not the only one with this problem...
THANK YOU ALL!!!  Now I can stop feeling like a freak of nature.  I too feel embarrased even with my husband.  I am desperately trying to find a doctor in my area who has experience with this kind of surgery.  The technical names would really help.  Also did anyone get there insurance to pay for it??
I have heterotopic breast tissue under my arm also. The surgeon I saw is sending me for a CAT Scan Friday and said that if it is in fact normal breast tissue- he highly recommends leaving it alone. He said that there would be a great chance I could get lymphedema in my upper extremities if he tried to remove it and that it is a debilitating disease. It is so uncomfortable and it looks awful but after researching lymphedema online, I'm terrified now. Anyone else hear of this? It looks like alot of people on the board had it removed w/out a problem.
I have always had extra tissue along the outside of each one of my breast.  Even though this extra tissue pops out of the side of my bra, I continue to wear sleeveless tops.  I would love to have this corrected, but I do not know whether I should go to a plastic surgeon or someone else.  I had a string of infected cysts removed from my left underarm years ago, and since then, there have not been any lumps under either arm. I have noticed that even some models have this condition.  Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one concerned.
i actually and i really mean that i thought i was the only one in the world who had this ugly thing under my right arm and i too was told it was breast tissue and it was harmless but man is it ugly.
im 25 and have two kids.(4&5) When I was engorged so were both of my armpits. It hurt so bad it would just give me the chills constantly. My dr. said it was breast tissue, but told me nothing else. My youngest is 4 and all of the sudden they are hurting again! Its really strange. I mean it hurts to even put my arms down. Im hoping Im not pregnant , If I am, I would only be about a month along and I dont know if they would be hurting from preg. this early on.My nipples are sensitive right now too. I couldnt even believe when i went to google this that after typing in :breast tissue.." that "breast tissue under arm" appeared. I thought "Wow, I guess im not the only one!"
Well I just heard back from 3 plastic surgeons I sent e-mails to and... One doesn't do the procedure said I should speak with a general surgeon.  The other has done the procedure several times and said sometimes it takes lipo other times it has to be excised.  And another just said we do all kinds of breast procedures come in...  Will update when I know more.  And it is called axillary breast tissue...  Still wondering if my insurance wil cover any of this since it is painful...
I have the "ping pong ball" look under one arm and it drives me crazy!  Several years ago when I was about 25, a plastic surgeon told me he wouldn't remove it because it would cause too much nerve damage.  But now after hearing how many of you DID get it removed I am going to look into it again.  It starts to get sore and bigger about 10 before my period is due and lasts until I get it.  Now that's a big chunk of the month to be sore!!  I hate it!  My question to everyone is:  I am trying to get pregnant (I am 30) and I feel my armpit getting sore before my body would even recognize I had conceived.  Has anyone had this hormonal pain, but still conceived?  Could it mean I am pregnant and my period will NOT be arriving?  Please help me!!
wow I cannot believe I have found some people with this problem - I have been going around for five years (since the birth of my daughter) with big lumps under my arm.  I was dismissed by at least five different doctors during this time who all told me it was just excess FAT (I was not heavy at 1.7m/ 143lb) I have spent this time hiding under old womens clothes and trying to exercise my underarms which is quite tricky!  The final straw came last week when I broke down in tears when shopping for a dress to wear to my mum's wedding - I had been shopping for 7 hours and found nothing suitable - even dresses with some sleeve - the discusting lumps would creep out at the sides.  I always knew it had to be something to do with the pregnancy but I had to trust the doctors judgement.  I tried one more new doctor yesterday, and rehearsed what I was going to say because i was upset.  Finally, this doctor took notice of me and said it was definately AXILLARY BREAST TISSUE and is referring me to the Breast Clinic, almost certainly to have it removed (unless there are complications).  Things are a bit simpler for me as I do not need to find my own surgeon it is arranged by the National Health Service.  With regard to pain - they have not been too bad they feel tender a lot of the time but I suppose it is because they are squashed under my arms.  I have the contraceptive injection so I do not get periods at all so have no way of knowing if this affects.  I am so angry that I have been left so long it has really affected my lifestyle - there is NO Way I go swimming with my daughter.  I am thinking of complaining to the medical board here - this should be picked up right after having babies and not dismissed as FAT!   Sorry I was going on a bit  ... I just cant believe I found some women with the same problem!  I have my appointment with the clinic on the 30th August so will let you know what they say.
I forgot to mention... 'here' is in the UK!
My wife also had small accessory nipple-like lesions at bilateral anterior axillary fold, but I am not sure whether it is axillary breast tissue.  However, my wife goes swimming as if nothing there.  I wont suggest my wife to do any surgery just for cosmetic or psychological reasons.

Freckleston, if I were u, I wont complain to the medical board. Delaying diagnosis which causes your psychological harm may consitute medical negligence, but the legal committee may also consider whether it is 'usual' or 'normal' that an ordinary doctor will do the same. I feel that doctors cannot know everything but they can be find wrong or 'guilty' if they miss simple but serious diagnosis. 'At least 5 different doctors' can mean most ordinary doctors will do the same, and the last doctor u saw is just extra-ordinarily smart.
I do not want to initiate any unnessary enquiry which could jeopardise the doctors careers but I definately want all of the doctors to have knowledge of the situation though so that they might think about this in the future. Im not sure if a general letter to my surgery practice manager detailing the events might be worthwhile if only to get my concerns across.  It might seem that this is the 'usual' response however, every one of the doctors were very dismissive in their attitude of my problem and did not even examine the area properly (they just lifted up my sleeve and had a little prod!) or even take any notice of the fact that I said it was painful at times.  For this reason, i would like them to think about their listening skills.  It is not the only time i have had bad diagnoses from this practice.  When my daughter (then 2yrs) was ill, I took her twice in one week to the doctors who both dismissed her as fine.  I was not happy with this and took her to the A&E dept where she was put straight on a drip as severly dehydrated. I have also heard similar incidents from other patients who attend there.  Therefore, I feel I need to do something to make the practice aware of their GP's indifferent manners.  

Lastly, I believe that there must be a checklist of items that are supposed to be checked postnatally by whoever is looking after the mother and baby.  Surely they could have picked up on this under breast Issues, and at least inform the new mother what these lumps could be and when/if to seek further advice. Postnatal &Paediactric care is very scant in this country now anyway so I shouldnt surprised this was overlooked at that time.  You can probably get the feeling that I am feeling a little bitter at the moment on the care I received - maybe this feeling will pass once I have started to receive advice about the condition.
Yes. I agree that many doctors possess indifferent attitude and dismissive voice and that is even more important than lack of knowledge or common sense. I have heard a surgeon in my place talking about buying BMW through mobile when performing colonoscopy while the patient was conscious, and the colon was ruptured. Afterall the surgeon was not found guilty because no one can prove the rupture was directly related to the mobile conversation. Such act should be condemned no matter the doctors may be disqualified.... they deserve it, right? But I just want to emphasize that what you complain may not work, and may just simply waste your time and effort. I appreciate your warm-hearted initiatives to change the standard of all the doctors in the world but please forget your bitter feeling and dont expect too much from doctors. Your daughter is lucky to have a careful mother like u.
I am undergoing surgery for the removal of axillary breast tissue under my right arm. The surgery is scheduled for 20 Aug 07. I was briefed throughly that the casuses could be hereditary, due to lactating, etc. I noticed mine shortly after nursing my youngest child (23 months) and it has been bothersome ever since. I have gone to the doctor so many times and they always tell me maybe it is my lympnodes or cancer.. I had a breast ultrasound done and there is no trace of cancer. I had blood work done and there is no traceof infection so... Upon removal of this tissue they are going to send it out for testing. I am very anxious to get this procedure done. The surgeon advised me the procedure will take 30-45 minutes and of course it is Same Day Surgery. I will let everyone know how it goes. Keep me in your prayers.
Are you in the US?  ANd if so is your insurance covering any of the costs?  Will keep you in my prayers...  Please update us as soon as you are up to it.  THANKS!
I am a mother of two (3yrs and 1yrs) and an transplant patient. During my 1st pregnancy I developed lumps under my arms and the doctors did not know what they were. They did  a biopsy and it turned out to be breast tissue. Nothing was done about it.  I was told it would go away but it didn't. The lumps went as hard as my breasts after I gave birth. During my second pregnancy the lumps increased in size, but I also found lumps around my vagina. The vaginal lumps were removed at the same time I had my Caesarian section and sent to the lab. It was discovered that those lumps were breast tissue too. My obstetrician rang to tell me and I just laughed with her, (we had become friendly as she'd had to monitor me closely during pregnancy due to my kidney transplant).  She'd never known it to occur in the genital region before. Those lumps were removed when my daughter was born but in my arms the breast tissue remains which I am hoping to have removed soon. My general practitioner will refer me to a surgeon to have it done on the National Health. It is hard to get nice clothes that fit and are suitable. I have to go for large baggy clothes and it is horrible. Also my left breast is really big, several cup sizes bigger than the right breast.  I'm not sure if this problem is to do with the extra breast tissue appearing in other parts of my body but I hope to get that sorted too. But in the mean time I'm enjoying being a mother to my children and keeping my chin up thats the best way to deal with things at the moment until my body is surgically corrected.
I had underarm extra breast tissue during my pregnancy, and after I stopped breastfeed it went away.  Now two years later I found a small hard lump in the same area, and I don't know what to do.  I am not pregnant.  HELP!
If  I were you I would get down to the G.P or you will keep worrying about it. Let us know how you
get on. GOOD LUCK
I have just seen the consultant at my breast clinic.  He feels sure that this is accessory breast tissue but I am have got to go back tomorrow to have an ultra sound to be sure.  I am a bit down because he basically said that he didnt advise any surgery.  He said that surgery in the armpit is very tricky due to all of the nerves twisting in and around the tissues.  he warns me that there is a high possibility of scarring, the area filling up with fluids longterm and a condition where the arms swell up? (somethign to do with lymphod.. ).  He said he is not refusing but I should think about this very thoroughly and try to research the success rate of the procedure.  I am unable to find any information on the web so far so I would be very interested to hear how Dominicana06 gets on- I hope it goes well.  At the moment I still feel I want the surgery done because it has really affected my selfesteem and I really want it done unless I hear from others that it is a very bad idea.
So strange that some Drs. are so cautious and others aren't.  One Dr I e-mail said he had performed the procedure several times.  I haven't set up an appt with him yet because I am still breastfeeding but when I do I will update everyone.  It is so frustrating that this one thing causes us all so much embarrasment.  I haven't worn a swimsuit without a t-shirt in years.  They don't really even fit well, the extra tissue gets squeezed out which looks horrible and HURTS!!  I am really praying this Dr can do something to help me... I can't imagine dealing with this forever.  
After five years of no swimming with my daughter, 5 summers of not wearing a vest and numerous christmas/new year/ wedding parties without being able to wear pretty dresses what I like, I was really hoping that I would have a date to be rid of this forever.  I had even told everyone that I was going to have a 'VEST Party'! to celebrate. My friends were all really pleased as they had noticed my confidence drastically reduce due to this.   I found one snippet of information on the web which states that 11 out of 28 patients experienced post-operative complications (although the majority of these followed operations performed by a trainee) http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/jws/bjs/2003/00000090/00000010/art00007

Not a very good success rate I thought.

About the hurting - Ive only noticed it this year and it seems to be getting worse like a twinging and tugging sensation inside, so Im glad I am having an ultrasound tomorrow to see what sort of tissue or lumps are inside.  By the way, he said it would be good if there is a fair amount of fatty lumps as well because that can easily be removed even if not the breast tissue.  I still havent decided but I am also  leaning towards doing something rather than living with this forever.
If you want to search for more info try typing in the terminology I was given today!

"Management of accessory breast tissue in the axilla"
I just looked up 'Lymphoedema' which was one of the possible complications from the surgery and this does not seem very nice has no treatment available.... very not sure now!!
I googled "axillary breast tissue removal" and got lots of medical journal articles... The ones I read seemed to say (I'm not a doctor) there were few complications... Here's an example I found at a site:

Abstract: BackgroundVarious methods for correction of accessory axillary breast tissue have been proposed, including simple excision, diamond-shaped excision, a Y-V technique, and lipoplasty.ObjectiveWe present an effective method for correction of a prominent axillary mound that combines lipoplasty with excision of accessory breast tissue along the axillary transverse line.MethodsPreoperative markings included an incision within the natural wrinkle line in the axillary fold, and demarcation of areas in which lipoplasty and excision were to be performed. After lipoplasty, deep dissection was performed to isolate and remove accessory breast tissue and excess fat tissue. A compression dressing was applied for 1 to 2 weeks postoperatively, and the patient was instructed to wear a sports bra for 1 to 2 months after removal of the dressing.ResultsWe treated 7 patients using this procedure between October 1999 and March 2003. No major postoperative complications were detected and recurrence was not noted during the follow-up periods. Aesthetic results were satisfactory.ConclusionsWe believe that a procedure that combines lipoplasty and excision provides numerous advantages as a surgical option in treating a prominent axillary mound. The main advantage is that the final scar is laid in the natural axillary fold, rendering scars less conspicuous and eliminating the need to remove excess skin. The one disadvantage was that elevation of the skin flap via small, remote incisions initially produced surgical difficulties, but these were overcome with experience.

I have seen the question  "how much does it cost and if insurance covers it" asked numerous times in this post but so far I haven't seen a reply to it. It doesn't apply to me as I don't share what you all have but why hasn't anyone acknowledged the question. It's as if it's being completely ignored. Even if you don't know the answer why can't any of you say that when you reply.
I had my ultra sounds today and it is confirmed all breast tissue so no nasty lumps to worry about.  Now I just need to wait for a letter and get back to them if I want re-assess.  I read some of the medical articles like the one above and they are more positive.  I read that if any, the most common complication is a 'seroma' which is basically fluid that collects and requires draining but this definately disappears after a number of weeks (sounds bit icky but I wouldnt complain).  Everyone here seems to be set on dis-suading me, even the ultrasound nurse told me that I should just accept that this is part of my body now and live with it, carry on buying longer sleeve clothes etc.  My partner is a bit skeptical and reckons they dont want to do it to save their budget! (NHS pay for it here).  
MY INSURANCE IS PAYING for the removal of my excess breast tissue...

I've never had a baby, but I've had the pain and swelling in my left underarm since I was a teen.  Since graduating college and meeting my husband (and getting comfortable...) I've gained about 20 pounds, and I really started noticing the bulge and started to avoid wearing sleeveless tops.  Also, the pain has gotten worse.  At first, my doctor thought it might be just a fatty tumor and told me to stop touching it so much, which I found incredibly insulting because, of course, I don't sit around touching my armpits all day, but I made a point to completely avoid it for over a month so that I could prove her wrong!  Long story short, I got a second, third and fourth opinion, all within the same office, and it was not a fatty tumor... I had an ultrasound, which looked "normal," but I went to a specialist anyway because I was still concerned and I wanted it removed.  The specialist said the only way she could be absolutely sure what it was would be to remove it.  Perhaps that was the kicker.  If she had submitted something like, "cosmetic removal of ugly bulge" to the insurance company, I'd probably have to foot the bill myself.

It's only been two weeks and I'm still in a little bit of pain - more of an annoyance, really - but the scar is small and I already see the difference even though the whole area is still a little swollen from the trauma.  I did have a drainage tube for about a week, and I would recommend to anyone having the procedure to leave it in for AT LEAST that long, because there's a TON of blood and water that comes out post-op and I would think it would be extremely painful to have all that swell up inside.  I went through countless little glass vacuum tubes in a week, each holding between 6-10 cc's.

The reason I was searching was because I was wondering what others' recovery experiences have been.  Thanks.
Thank you so much for all the info.  I think you have helped answer a lot of out questions.  Unfortunately I don't have any info for you as I have not yet had the procedure done.  Can you please tell me what kind of specialist you went to?  I know some people use a general surgeon and others go to a plastic surgeon...  Thank you again and good luck with your recovery.  
She was a general surgeon. My primary care physician referred me.  When I met with her for the first time I talked to her about all my previous conversations with doctors as well as my concerns about the cost.

Thanks for the well wishes.  And good luck to you if you decide to do it.  
I had this problem ever since I started devoloping breasts especially on the right side. I just thought it was just fat and it would go away. I was just 120 lbs and 5 foot 7 and was very athletic. So it did not make any sense. When I got pregnant my OBGYN did not even mention what it was even when she did my physical. Now after 2 pregnancies, these axillary breast tissue just got bigger (I gained weight too). Finally during a routine pap exam, the nurse practioner send me to a plastic surgeon, who said that he will take them out, but he sort of frightened me about the scarring. At least i can wear regular clothes with out the ugly bump. I have HMO insurance and it would cover the surgery. I did mention that it is sore and uncomfortable when I wear wired bra. He did say that I need to take 3 weeks off and I cannot lift any weight for that period. My baby is only 1. It is going to be hard. He did mention that losing weight will help me because I have fat tissue with breast tissue. I am so nervous about this. My family members except my husband of course do not know I have a problem like this and I am very shy to tell them about this. I also have a feeling that they might stop me because this is not medically necessary.
Thank you for every one who has shared this info. Make me not feel like the alien on this earth.
Do whatever you need to feel comfortable in your own body!!  I don't think anyone here is trying to be perfect we just want to be normal...  I'm sure your husband will support you.  My daughter is 14 months old so I know it will be difficult but once it is done we will both be able to move on with our lives and not be so self conscious.  So much revolves around this problem from sex to clothes even taking my daughter to the pool is a big deal.  Best wishes to you… let us know how things go.
hello everyone, i just want to say thank you for giving me something to read on this because there is very little info on internet! Two things i am hoping someone can elaborate on please is 1, why are doctors recommending that people wait to remove axillary breast tissue till after births and 2, is lymphemona really a scare and why?
I am also in the UK but i am American so I am familar with both ways of practising medicine and I find in either country it is hard to trust people because in the states there is always the issue of doctors pushing you into surgery because they pocket the money in the end and in the UK, doctors discouraging you from surgery because their budgets are tight. So, who do you trust and believe. That is a problem I am finding. I am 31 with no children but planning to get pregnant in next year or two and I am considering getting my axillary breast tissue removed soon before pregnancy so I wonder if there is reason for waiting...any thoughts or elaborations from you all would be greatly appreciated!!!
additionally, is there anyone out there who did have complications after surgery?! i did not seem to read from anyone that did...
i just read it referred to as ectopic breast tissue and supernumerary breast tissue I am finding a lot more information online for these terms!
Welcome... I'm trying hard to keep up with new posts and reply when I can.  I THINK the reason behind waiting is the fact that the same area can become engorged with breast milk thus undoing the surgery you had... Also maybe more breast tissue can develop due to hormones... Really these are just educated guesses.  I haven't had the surgery so can't answer much else.  Good luck!
I understand if nobody wants to comment on my half nude body! but I uploaded a photo - does my 'extra set' kind of compare to what you are going through would you say? There are hardly any photos on the web to match my diagnosis.
WOW!!! That was so couragous of you even if you are not showing your face.  I actually appreciate being able to compare my problem with someone else.... Well I am a good 35 lbs overweight but minus that detail we could be armpit twins!! HAHAHA  My bra causes me a lot of discomfort almost prefer not to wear it.  Also feel awkward when trying to move in some directions - can't imagine trying to play a game of golf... Not that I ever do but it is a good example of how this hinders my movement.  I guess you are still waiting for your letter.  Have you made any final decisions?  I'm still on hold until I ween my daughter probably another 2 or 3 months.  Then I will make any appt with a plastic surgeon I contacted via e-mail who has done this procedure several times.  I feel pretty comfortable knowing he has experience.  The last step is to figure out if my insurance will cover any of the expenses...  Thanks again for the photo.  Good lulck to you!
Argh! I keep typing my messages and losing them!

Hi armpit twin! thanks for replying. I find when I am sitting at the computer typing for a long time, the area feels squashed and I have to move my arms around to release the pressure. I also just had a nightmare trying to find something to go swimming in when we go on our holiday- I havent been swimming for years and dont have a costume. In the end I have bought a black beach 'shrug' type thing that looks like it belongs with the costume so I dont have to wear a tshirt.  
I have got an appointment with the breast clinic on 18th Oct. I am going to request surgery, I dont know if he will agree or maybe pass me onto a plastic surgeon. It is different here in that it is free on the NHS but we dont get to pick who does it and I know that my consultant actually manages a teaching programme for junior doctors to assist in their training which is definitly not who I want to be doing this intricate surgery!  I suppose it is possible to refuse a trainee but I might have to wait longer.  Will let you know what happens next!
Iv been to the hospital today and I also have breast tissue - reading all of this is so good to know, I had never heard of it before & automatically i thought the worst when I felt a lump - thankfully it's fine and all I can say is this site is great & a real comfort!!
I just did surgery last friday to remove the tissues, still in lot of pain and the swelling is really bad.  will let u all know what happens in a few weeks
Welcome and glad you found this site to be of comfort.  Not sure if you plan on having any kind of surgery but either way let us know how things go.
Welcome to you as well!  You are one of the few who has had the surgery.  Please give us any recovery info when you can.  Best wishes to you and hope you feel better soon!!
I have always had slightly extra skin in my armpits since i think i started to develop breasts, tried to ignore it but now i turned 30 this july  (they look like golf balls under my arms now)and decided I had enough, the shame of not being able to wear vest or sleeveless tops or even going to get my breasts measured, the pain i felt when my breasts became engorged after my two children, the embrassment of not feeling sexy in front of my husband. Went to see my gp who referrred me to breast unit, after 3 months had appointment with consultant who put me at ease straight away by telling i was not the first person he had seen with this problem and i wouldnt be the last, has booked me in for operation on 5/11/07 so will let u know what happens, anyone who can tell me how they feel post op would be most grateful.
i had my Surgery on 9/28/07 and the swelling is even more the stitches are still in but i walk like i am a linebacker after today i will be off work as its too discomforting coming to work, the doctor told me on Thursday to take of until 10/22/07.  when initially i was told that i could go back to work right away.

I called my doctor again because i wanted him to know that the swelling is more than it was when i did the surgery.  I did both arms and one is worst than the other so at least am able to use one arm for now.

Will keep you update with the process.
I saw another doctor from the consultant's team today and was given good news.  Apparently the surgery is not as difficult as they first thought as they do not have to go right into the armpit.  They can literally chop off the excess tissue.  There are risks however, and the area needs to be kept meticulously clean to stop infection and to reduce scarring.  I am just waiting for an appointment now and it will less than 90 minutes for both arms surgery!  He has put me as a priority because I have been messed around a bit already so hopefully not too long to wait.
I finally had my lump removed from my right armpit on the 16 of Oct. after being aggravated with it for several years...My Gyn. said don't worry about it...but my bra(I wear underwire ones) was starting to bother it...So my GP sent me to a surgeon who wasted no time in removing it...
My incesion is about 4" long & is still a little swollen...He used Steri-Strips(little strips of bandage,I guess) instead of stitches...and I was able to shower by the 18th....The first couple of days my arm was real sore & bruised and I couldn't lift much...but it is getting much better....I go back for a Post-Op exam on the 25th...I'll try to keep ya'll posted...

Good Luck andreamarie122...I hope you get to feeling better soon....
Im getting both excited and nervous at the same time with only just under 2 weeks till i loose these golf ball bags from under my arms.  I know that im going to feel very tender and uncomfortable after the operation but I had an ectopic over 3 years ago and lost my tube so after feeling the pain of that the discomfort from not being able to do things I hope and think that I should be able to cope with this, at least at the end of this I will be finally able to buy some nice underwire bras not these horrible granny ones that I have at the moment cause the wire prods the golf ball bags which make them sore at the moment.
*  Just some info from someone who has had her axillary (armpit) ectopic (out of place) breast tissue removed surgically. It has now 9 months post-surgery and I am starting to notice regrowth above the original site(further from the breast).  It is menstrual cyclically sensitive as was the original mass.  Also caffeine did/does  worsen my pain.
*  I probably will not do anything unless it becomes unbearable, the surgery was worth it the first time but I am still paying for it.  Of course as many of you I too saw about 5 doctors before one took me seriously, It is your body not theirs!   My gynecologist was the best, she I am sure sees numerous women with this problem. Don't stop searching till you feel less worried about your body.
*  Also pay attention to the trends of your pains. I took me awhile to realize my pain was during my period.
thanks for posting your comments.  I too am at last on the waiting list for the surgery (both arms).  I wonder if you could tell me how difficult the recovery time was and how painful.  Did you have to take much time off work etc.. I am just wondering (when I get a date) whether to clear my diary in advance so I dont let anyone down.  I am a mum and I also have 2 jobs - one in a supermarket so they just put me on the checkout maybe?, my other job is attending meetings, taking minutes and typing them up.  Was it possible for you to still do hoovering, cleaning, shopping and that sort of thing?  I suppose everything we do requires arm movements - just wondering if you can shed light on the pain and stiffness we can expect?  
It is great to hear that your swelling was getting better after a week.  Did you get people to help you out around the house etc or could you manage?
.............also sending good wishes out to andreamarie122 - hope you are seeing an improvement.
Hi, I am doing so much better after having them drained twice, but its been almost 4 weeks and i am already glad i removed them, my clothes fits better more i have gained more confidence.  Of course the process will take (my dr said) about three months, but i will be a more secure person by the summer.  Overall am glad i did the surgery.  and by the way my sister is doing her surgery this friday.
WOW our little group sure has grown!!  To everyone who is going through the recovery process - BEST WISHES!!  It really helps us all when we share our experiences pre and post surgery.  Just coming here has helped me to not feel like such a freak!  I just can't wait to get this whole thing over with and go back to feeling comfortable in my own body again.  
Wow! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this condition and that perhaps there is some way to remove it. To those of you who have had the surgery, was it done under general anesthesia or local? Good luck everybody!
I just had the excision of the ectopic breast tissue on my left and right underarm 2 weeks ago. I have 6" incisions on both underarms and the right excision is doing much better than my left. I still feel limited mobility on both my arms when i try to raise them. I feel it more when i am not wearing a bra. Trying to shampoo my hair every morning just hasn't been the same. I feel like the skin in my underam is being stretched and pulled when i try to raise them. The area directly close to the incision is numb and the area above it has a slight pain.For those of you interested about the surgery - i was referred to a general surgeon and when she saw my enlarged underarm she immediately said that the surgery would be medically necessary which means my insurance covered all the costs. It took a total of 2 hours from the time they wheeled me into the OR to the time i woke up in the Recovery room. It was done under general anesthesia.
that information is really helpful Almay - some of us are still waiting and I am definitely interested in the recovery process because of work.  I wasnt told whether it will be general or local anaesthetic so I am guessing probably general.  To those of you that had the surgery - is it necessary to have fluid 'drained' from the area? I have heard that is a possibility.
I am doing SO SO much better the swelling is 90% down, after a month of recovery

and to Periel, my surgery was done under both local and general anesthesia
i had drainage done twice after my surgery
Was the inscision or cut pretty big & obvious?
did you have to undergo a lot of test before the dr schedule you for surgery?
Can we reduce the auxillary breast tissues by exercise.
Is there any other way to reduce these fat tissues under the arms other than surgery? I had this problem for so long and I thought I was abnormal.It nice to know that I am not alone...
Just curious, did you have any bad side affects from the general anestheisa?
hi everyone, i also have a lump under my arm, i am 19 and have no kids. i had blood taken at my doctors and i get my results back on Monday. the lump is about 2 cm big!It isnt sore but feels uncomfortable, im going to go and do sum exercise today and see if it changes or dissapears, fingers crossed.i am just happy that im not the only one!
Im almost certain that exercise will not make the slightest bit of difference.  I did try this myself before I knew what it was.  I was really not overweight at all then but I had asked a physcial trainer what the best exercise for the underarm area was and I even bought a contraption that is supposed to do that muscle under there.  unfortunately, the excess tissues is really part of your breasts and I believe even if you had the most toned underarm, the tissues would still exist.  I was talking to a colleague about this condition the other day and she confided that she too has fatty tissue under the arms and that her mother had the same, although both women had never bothered seeking advice about it.  my colleague got the lumps when she started her periods so it is definintely not only linked to having children.  By the way I have got a date to the hospital again on 16th November to talk about the operation, the only test I have had up to now is an ultrasound to detect any abnormalities in the tissues. I think I just need blood tests done before the op.  Tinytears is having the operation on Monday - good luck you!
Had my op yesterday afternoon went in at 2pm for general  anesthesia took about 2hrs altogether, feeling more pain in my right side than my left but i think that is due ti having more breast tissue on that side than on my left.  Am just topping my pain medication as advised, will be able to remove dressing tommorrow, so will see the damage then, but I was to do nothing the 1st 24 hours, which is what I am doing having my hubby wait on me for a change, he has gone out with my youngest so I thought I would inform you all of my progress while the pain meds are working. Cos of the incisions being made in your underarm and cos of sweating I am trying to elevate my arms with pillows so to prevent excess sweating to avoid affection and to help take the weight of my arms off the incisions.

To all of asking about pre op checks I didnt have none, I spoke to my GP in July saw the Consultant on the 5th Oct and he saw me and told me striaght away what it was and that he could book me in straight away for the following month and hey pesto here I am.

One thing that we all have to remember that everybody is differnt and we all deal with pain differntly but for me trying to keep a positive attitude and listening to my body so I dont overdo anything is the best advice I can give, dont try to be a martyr, cos it will be you that suffers in the long run no one else.
I meant infection not affection in the 1st paragraph (SORRY)
I also have an underarm lump, and I've had it for several years.  Finally asked my doctor about it when it grew increasingly tender and sensitive earlier this year.  The discomfort came with my period but I think it was exacerbated by caffeine, I have since stopped drinking soda!  

My doctor referred me to a breast surgeon but I was put off -- terrified -- about the surgery, but relieved they were so certain it was just breast tissue, as opposed to a tumor or cyst.  

The surgeon said my incision would be huge, from front to back -- I'd guess 5-6 inches -- and that she would remove the excess skin.  

Insurance is going to cover it, partially.  I'd guestimate I'll end up paying $300-500 out-of-pocket.  No one would tell me exactly how much anything would cost, they claim they didn't know.  

I've postponed, not only to change doctors for a second opinion, but also because it was pretty discouraging that they didn't want to do any pre-op tests.  I had to demand an ultrasound.  They only wanted to do a biopsy on it after removal.

I've been trying to be healthier (diet & exercise) so I haven't experienced any breast pain/tenderness in recent months, certainly nothing as alarming as earlier this year.  

So, I've decided to wait until Spring Break, to fit the surgery and recover time, though you all seem to be saying it takes longer than a week.  

The surgeon did tell me I'd need a drainage tube the first week and that the surgery would be done under general anesthesia.  (Which also isn't all that appealing.)

I've decided to try to lose some weight in the meantime, 20-30 lbs, with the hope that it will at the least reduce the intensity of the surgery, if not eliminate the need.  I know that's wishful thinking because I had it when I was smaller!  But I think it's maybe gotten bigger, as I've gotten bigger.  So, hopefully if it's just a little smaller the scar will be smaller, and my recovery easier.

Also, the surgeon mentioned potential nerve damage (loss of feeling on the inner upper arm) but insisted it would probably only be temporary.  I hadn't heard anything about a risk of developing "lymphedema."  That only adds to my fear.  But, I am ready to be rid of this knot, as I call it.  However, I don't have kids yet and I really hope to have some within the next 2-5 years.  

Should I wait until after I have kids?  I definitely don't want to go through surgery twice.
I had a large amount of axillary tissue removed from under both arms 6 wks ago.  The back of one arm feels slightly numb, and the underarm area feels "puffy". The puffy feeling subsides for short periods of time. Has anyone else had a similar experience, and if so, how/were you able to remedy it?

I am also having problems with the incision under the other arm opening up, and not healing. Suggestions??? Help????
Hi everyone.  I am new here.  I have suffered so long with these damn extra boobs.  They drive me crazy.  I can totally relate to the bathing suit, strapless dress, tank top problems.  I first noticed them when i was about 12 or 13.  They just seem to get bigger as I do (I am about 30 pounds overweight.  I have 3 children (10,9&3)  Just recently my family doctor sent me to a plastic surgeon.  She said the surgery is not covered and it would cost me about $3500.00 (CAD), she also said that if I combine that surgery with a breast reduction (I am a 38 G-H) that it would only cost me $1800.00. I am just so upset over this.  I didn't really want to get breast reduction right now.  (they still look pretty good for a 35 year old mom of 3)  but the doc says I should before the BR is not covered by OHIP  anymore.  I am so sick of these damn things but I just dont know what to do.  Any help. .....  signed Melissa.............P.S.  I am going to get a second opinion - maybe a general surgeon.............how the hell do you choose which doctor gets to hack at you?  Especially with so many horror stories out there.
Hi..i just want to know how big was the insicion..was it done like a liposuction? Did you have to do any lab work at all? When you saw your GP, he confirmed that it's a breast tissue? Did your insurance cover it or part of it? Are you in the US? Pardon me, I have so many questions.;-)
I also have this problem.. I've had it most of my adult life, I am in my late 60's, and many years ago when I asked about having them removed they warned me not to do it.. because as they said "it was a very messy operation with complication" (what ever that meant)..  Anyway recently I ask my medical doctor about it again and she suggested I have it done... especially since it causes me so much pain.. I get yeast infections under the flaps that hang..  So I am now considering doing it.. and since they cause me so much pain my insurance will pay for it..  Although, I am still recovering from a hysterectomy so it will be a while before I make a decision about when I will have it done..

My daughter recently had breast reduction surgery, no extended tissue under her armpits, she went from a G to a small C.. and the reason I mention this is because someone here mentioned "drain tubes"..  My daughter said had she known the removal of those tubes would have caused her so much pain, she almost passed out, she might not have done the surgery.. So to the person that mentioned  on this thread about those drain tubes I ask, Did you have that kind of pain from their removal??

I hope this thread continues.... now that I found all the information you guys are supplying  I don't want to loose any of you guys...
hi I am still here! have been watching and reading the new posts. I am astounded and really pleased that so many more people have found this site and finding it helpful.  I havent really got anything to report yet as still waiting for a surgery date but my pre-op is next week so my surgery will have to be in at least the next six months but im sure it wont be that long!  I will definitely give you a run-down of how it all goes for me.  Regarding the lumps being painful, I have had them 5 years now (since pregnancy) but it is only this year that they have started to hurt - like a tugging and aching sensation inside, I have put on about 20lb over that time though and they have got bigger so wonder if that has made a difference.
Again welcome to all the new people.  I think we are all pretty committed to keeping this thread going, at least I am.  I finally weaned my little girl and am now waiting to recover from an impromptu appendectomy!  I wish they could have done it all at the same time!  Anyway I figure I'll  get through the holiday's and make my first appt with the plastic surgeon I previously contacted via e-mail.  He said he had done the surgery a few times and that gives me some peace of mind.  I will certainly update you all on my experience as I go through the process.  I think it might help us all if we made a few things clear when talking about our experiences... Just a suggestion!
1 - Where we live (some countries have national health ins. and therefore very different processes)
2 - What time of surgeon you used (general, plastic, breast specialist...)
Anything else??? Thanks to you all!
6 DAYS POST OP

HI I live in the U.K so everything was done on the NHS, I had no labs or any other kind of tests done just a check up with the consultant who confirmed that it was breast tissue as he had seen previous cases like mine, the only tests that would be done were on the mass post op.  The incision runs from the front of the armpit to the back so we are talking about 4 - 5 inches depending on your size really.
I wont lie but the scaring at the mo looks dreadful but when I put on a top that I had made to fit the other day I was amazed at the loose fabric around my armpits from where my golfballs (Xtra breast tissue) use to hang.  I do feel tender and I have numb feelings on the inner part of my arm but the bruising is probably the most uncomfortable thing at the mo.  Im trying to keep streching my arms slightly so as not to stiffen up, but so far things aint been that bad.  Like i said before as with any op you are going to feel pain from the stitches and tenderness, the only reason it is probably more so is cos we use our arms for everything nearly so we find it strange.  I actually managed to drive to the supermarket today to do my shopping so that was great for me.  I need to get on with things cos hubby goes to work 2morrow  so Im back looking after the kids.
Try to take it slow and not over do things.  Having kids makes it impossible to really rest but just remember all the other stuff (laundry, dishes...) can wait for you to feel better.  I'm not too worried about scarring - I guess I'd much rather have scars than have extra boobs!  Not to mention the pain and limited mobility.  Anyway... just wanted to send you a few words of encouragement.  Be proud you took the steps to fix this for yourself.  We all deserve to feel comfortable in our own bodies... Good luck recouping!
I second what poodle had to say...

I am a Southern California.. Senior Citizen.     I think I would rather use a breast surgeon since it's not  cosmetic surgery for me...  

If I didn't just have surgry for a hysterectomy and bladder lift a few weeks ago I'd be looking into finding a doctor right now to remove my extra breast tissue..  Mine are the size of tennis balls and they hurt a lot lately, and I struggle with getting yeast infection under the folds when I get too hot..   I think I've acutally waited too long to do this surgery.. I would have felt a lot better had I done it years ago..  Oh well, first things first..Cataracts and Blephoroplasty surgery are next on my list... at my age it's a body work in progress.. LOL
What do you all do for bathing suits..........I dread that season
I have worn a t-shirt over my suit and mostly just avoided going swimming.  Neither option is great which is why I really want this surgery...  I love the pool and now that I have a daughter I want to get her swimming next summer.  
I guess I never cared about what anyone thought.. so I never had a problem wearing a bathing suit, of course I didn't have these tennis balls under my arms until after I was married and had my kids.. so I didn't give them a second thought... I imagine it's different for young people.
I notice my lump after the birth of  5th child, 7 in all, in my case, I was told it was, backed up milk ducts, because, I've been nursing or pregnant since 1996. I never had a problem, producing milk, so I didnt really worried about it until the last child I had in 2006, and I did'nt breastfeed, so I knew it was not, backed up milk ducts. I went for a pap-test. on 11-13-07  from my ob-gyn,  she refered me to the breast clinic to rule out breast cancer. what a relief,,, but she told me I was growing  extra breast tissue....I said what the,,,,anyways she said, some women along with the extra tissue, can also grow a nipple. So a couple days after that I seen a breast surgeon, who  confirmed what they told my in the clinic. My pre-opt is on 12-12-07 and my sugery is on 12-20-07,,,,, I thought  I was the only person.
Welcome to our little support group... Best of luck on your surgery.  Let us know how it goes once you feel up to it.
I have an important business event that I'am suppose to attend on Dec-22,,,my surgery is Dec-20, and post-op appt, on the Dec-21. I'am having only one lump, on my left under arm done.  Can anyone tell me, what the recovery is like, how much pain, what should I expect.
Some of the previous posts explain recovery time and process... I haven't had the surgery yet so I can't help you. Sorry.
I have got a date through for my surgery which is 24th January so I cant tell you how the recovery is from personal experience but they did tell me that keeping the wounds clean and not too sweaty is very important.  therefore I personally have arranged people to cover all of my important meetings for about 3 weeks after the op!   It may be ok for you as you are only having the one side but if you can somehow arrange that you dont attend the business event then I would seriously consider that.
I decided that my health is much more important than a business events.  Will keep you posted.
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAVE THE VERY SAME THING THAT I DO. I THOUGHT I WAS LOOKING AT MYSELF. I WENT TO A PLASTIC SURGEON AND HE SAID IT WAS FATTY TISSUE AND THAT I NEED LIPOSUCTION AND 4,0000.000 DOLLARS. AND THAT I NEED BOTH SIDES DONE TO MAKE IT LOOK EVEN. I REALLY REALLY HATE THE LOOKS OF IT,  I'M GETTING DEPRESSED. PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW EVERTHING WENT WHEN YOUR SUGERY IS OVER. THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH FOR PUTTING THAT PICTURE UP . GOOOD LUCK
Yep I will let you all know when Ive had it done - I have got about a month to wait now.  Im glad yu found the picture helpful I was annoyed that even if I did find information about this on the internet there are never any photos so it is hard to compare if had a 'typical' case of excess breast tissue or if I had more or less than others!  

By the way - I was told that there is no way that liposuction alone could remove these lumps - it really has to be cut out.  I would definitely ask around some other surgeons first although I dont really know how it works over there.  I basically just get sent by my GP to the breast clinic and after some begging on my part (ie. saying that it was affecting my lifestyle) they scheduled me in for the op.
Wow... I am pretty impressed with the amount of information I've just read  - it's awesome.  I am 37, live in Canada, (near Hamilton ON), and am also arm-pit twin to the girl in the last post I read :).  

I have seen two plastic surgeons, (referred to by my General Practitioner).  One at 30 yrs old who spooked me about scarring and cost, but understood that it was extra breast tissue - had seen it and removed it before.  Then I saw another plastic surgeon at 36 who dismissed it as fat, and reallllllllly put me off with his comments in general.  I have asked to see the woman I did several years ago, but they are booking more than a year in advance, (I have a consultation appointment for Jan 09 :(.  I sooooooooo don't want to wait that long - ya know?

So my questions are....
- does anyone have advice regarding surgeons or plastic surgeons in Southern Ontario, or info regarding time lines to see them?
- do you think it would be possible that OHIP would cover it?  It really is quite painful, (far more tender than my breasts), in addition to it being a "cosmetic"issue.

I must say... I feel quite a bit better after reading all the posts on this site - thanks :)
Sorry I'm a bit rushed but you may want to speak with a breast specialist - more likely to not have to pay out of pocket. Plastic surgeon seems to set off flags... Also a gen surgeon.  I sent e-mails asking various offices if they had experience that way I didn't waste time going to someone who would tell me I was just fat!!!  Also it is obviously more comforting to know someone has done this surgery before and not practicing on you!!! Good luck!!
I'am 3 days post op, feeling a little sore under my arm, the procedure was called(Excision of left Axillary Accessory Breast Tissue). My surgeon was a breast specialist. The surgery itself  took 1 1/2 hr,  It was done under general anesthesia. The surgeon used desolving sutures  inside the  wound to close it up, with drainage tubes, that I had removed the next day, ,,,,, When my doctor removed the tubes, my underarm felt like it was on fire....The only problem  I had with the surgery was the Anesthesia,  It made me pretty sick. I'am very numb under my arm, and the strangest thing when I'am lying down  I feel a buzzing sensation, Iike when your cell phone is on vibrate,   Its comming for my under arm when I'am lying down...could this be some kind of nerve damage.
I'm a big believer in telling your Dr. what you are feeling and what concerns you may be having.  Sometimes people feel like they need to keep that stuff to yourself but it's better to get reassurance from the Dr that what you feel is totally normal.  The likelyhood is that you are just fine but call them just in case.  Congrats on your surgery and goodluck with the recovery process.  BTW thanks for the detailed info...
I think that's awesome that you have had the surgery - I hope you're feeling a bit better each day.  Perhaps some of the sensations you are having are just to do with all tissues and nerves being aggrivated and swollen and affecting each other and so on.  Keep us all up to date with your progress.  I am totally going to look into requesting a breast surgeon now I think :)  

It sounds from what I remember reading here as though most people don't notice this until after they have had children.  I honestly don't know when it started, but I have never even been pregnant.  The most educated guess I suppose from my GP was that it had to do with a surge of hormones early twenties and was then exaggerated when I started putting on weight.  I am pretty sure it is not only larger but more tender when I am heavier???

blahblahblah
merrychristmas to everyone
is a plastic surgeon the person to go to for this procedure . can anyone that has had this surgery write in and let me know who did your surgery?
I think your options are: plastic surgeons, breast specialists, general surgeons.  I haven't had the surgury yet but those are the ones I've found through my research.  
its great that you had the surgery done and sounded relatively easy going.  Ive never had general anaesthetic so I dont know how im going to react to that - (not having a cup of tea in the morning is going to hurt me!)  It is reassuring that you say it is only a 'little sore' and that you are obviously able to type etc.  I have been imagining being given one of those braces that hold your arms outstretched! I think you need to check with the doctors but its early days and hopefully the vibrating sensation will alleviate- the area has just been through a trauma so maybe it is just protesting!  

My op is described the same as yours but they havent told me whether they are going to use drainage tubes or not - do you think it was absolutely necessary? - (like, did it drain anything?) a couple of people on this forum have stated that removing tubes is the painful part.

Have you/will you manage to get back to work straight away or will you be taking some time to heal?
Mine is being done by a breast surgeon and the procedure is actually called Removal of accessory breast tissue from Right and left axillae.

(which is really the same as Biz-mom's operation albeit worded slightly differently).

When I was speaking to the consultants at the beginning of this process they said if the breast surgeon wouldnt do it for whatever reason then perhaps their plastic surgeon would so I dont see any reason why a plastic surgeon is not a suitable choice.  I think you need to make sure they understand that it is not only fat there and that it needs to be excised (cut out!) rather than liposuction only.  If you mention the procedure names we have given above then they will know that you have done your research.
thank you so much to everyone for answering all my ? i was having a hard time login in but I'm back . I'm going to see my plastic surgeon again for a second consultation and ask him about breast tissue because I found this forum after my first visit. My first visit he said it was fatty deposit and to liposuction both side to make it even and cut off some loss skin . I will also ask about local anesthisia because I don't want to be under. What happened to all the other ladys that have had this procedure I wish they would come back and tell us how they are doing.
I'am two week post-op, in more pain now, than I was after the surgery,  my wound is not healing properly because of fluid build-up. My drain tubes was removed the day after surgery,( in my opinion, they should have kept them in for at least 5 days)  Fluid is leaking from the whole incision site.  it is so painful, 9 days after surgery, my surgeon had to excise, 70cc of fluid from the incision,I was in pain even with local anesthisia.....and I have to go back in a couple of days for the same procedure. I can just kick myself for not taking time to let my body heal, but I have 7 children,  5 under 10. and no extended family to help.
was your lump removed by cutting it off only or with liposuction to. and was local or general anesthisia used
I'm suprised I haven't seen any discussion in these posts about screening for breast cancer.  I've had ultrasounds done for my underarm breast tissue along with my last two annual mammograms but the radiologist told me that I don't need to continue to have the ultrasound and that I should just see my doctor if I notice any changes.  As most of you know, the tissue changes all the time along with the monthly cycle, so apparently I'm supposed to stay alert to any changes outside of that.  I'm curious to know what all of you are doing about screening and do you trust yourselves to pick up any changes via self screening without the benefit of screening technology?  I have a family history of breast cancer so I need to be particularly careful.
when I presented this problem to the breast specialist - he more or less confirmed by his touch that this was just normal tissue (in the wrong place). However I did have ultrasounds.  Breast cancer issue has not really come up in my discussions with professionals.  In general, as far as I know we dont have breast screening facility in my area - its a case of - if you think something is wrong with your body then you are expected to tell a doctor.  I am 28 and have never checked my own breasts in the way ive seen on tv. (no-one has ever shown me how to).  I suppose I trust my instincts to know if something is not right.
It sounds like you are going through it at the moment but Im sure it cant get any worse than it is now. Dont think that you have made it worse for yourself,  you probably couldnt have done it any different with the children to look after some things just have to be done.  It is a shame that there you have not much support but maybe you can think of some people that might be able to help - perhaps some of your childrens-friends parents.  you might not have thought of asking them before but im sure they wouldnt mind helping you get some shopping or having the children round to play and taking them to their clubs etc. so you can rest more.  Try letting everyone you speak to know what you are going through as I bet you just say 'oh Im fine!' and if they offer to do something like cook a big casserole or do some ironing - then let them!  

It sounds like if you took the build up of fluid out of the equation it wouldnt be nearly so bad.  I wouldnt have expected that to be the worst part - I would have thought just the incisions would be very sore until they heal.

I must admit am feeling a bit worried myself now that you say it has got worse since the first week.  I was thinking of taking two weeks off work but that might be when it starts being more of a problem.  Well its only a supermarket I guess they can go on without me.  Ive only got the one daughter (age5) but Ive got a second job I clerk meetings but Ive managed to get cover for everything there til end of Feb.

Well I hope after you have the fluid drained again you will start to feel an improvement as maybe this will release the pressure.  

I assume you cannot feel the 'buzzing' sensation now with all the other pain?
I agree - it is a shame that many of the ladies who have been on this forum throughout seem to have disappeared. Hellooo out there!!
i went to the plastic surgeon on monday and he said that my underarm problem is fat tissue (fat deposite) there is no thick tissue there. my right armpit i bigger than the other and he said that liposuction will take care of it . that means i will have to go under genaral anesthisia 2hrs. that is what im nervous about.
  I am also 30 pounds over weight so i think i will try to loss weight before i do anything and if i still have this ugly fat bulge after i loss weight i'll have i removed. I will still read the posts because some of you are having surgery soon and i would like to hear how you all made out. FRECKLESTON i wrote you down on my calender i will be checking up on you .
My lump was cut out, and the sutures where placed inside the incision. Lipo  was never discussed. My HMO considers Lipo as a cosmetic procedure. So I would not be covered. I would have to pay out of pocket.
Again... I have seen two separate plastic surgeons over the years, and still haven't had it removed.  The one I saw first knew what it was, said she had performed it many times, and interestingly enough was / is the student of the second guy I saw.  He was pretty off-putting and insisted it was nothing more than fat, which is totally not the case.

However... I am also 25-30 pounds overweight now, (the same as the first time I saw the first surgeon and she told me to wait and see how much more I lost).  She actually had said that a girl who had the surgery booked changed her mind just beforehand because she had lost weight and didn't see it as necessary anymore.  I however did drop 25 or so pounds by my next visit with her, and although she said something like "see... it isn't as full now - is mostly hanging skin"... but also added something like..."but the breast tissue is still here... you can feel it quite distinctly now".

Sorry if I'm babbling - tired.  But just wanted to say that it is possible that it would look much better after losing the weight, or, (as was my case), I thought it almost looked worse because it was sooooo sort of empty and hanging then - you know?!?!?! :(  

I obviously don't know what you are dealing with; how large the buldge is... But if you are still unsure please try to find a breast specialist and ask that they do an ultrasound on the area to verify if it is fat or breast tissue.  The one thing I have noticed is that there is A LOT of misdiagnosis on this and A LOT of Drs. that minimize this issue.  Good luck.
Hi all - don't laugh but I have just made up my own website called Fat Armpits! I mainly did it because I want to put some photos of before surgery, recovery and the final result photos.  I felt strongly about this as there are no photos on the www.  The name fat armpits is really a bit silly as we know it is not always just fat!  however, I am going to try to put on as much information as possible about this for any web users that might come across it!  It is quite new website so there is not really anything much on it at the moment except a few pics .. but feel free to have a look - I will also add photos after the surgery (24thJan onwards).  I am going to write out my own experience of the whole issue and if you like you can always send me your stories/ pics.  anna.***@****

www.fatarmpits.fusiveweb.co.uk
Hello All,

I've been reading your posts for a few months now and wanted to wait until I saw my surgeon before I posted.  I have axillary breasts as well, under both armpits, and it's not that big, as I lost a lot of weight, but it's still there.  I've had this problem for a few years, and it's not really been that bad, but I'm so conscious of it that it's really starting to bother me.  I had gone to other physicians to get it checked, and they told me it was extra fat and I should lose weight.  But to me, it's in a stubborn area, so it would be impossible to lose fat in your armpit!!

Anyhow, I finally got the courage to do something about it.  I was referred to a cosmetic surgeon by my family doctor and had the consultation today: January 10, 2008.  She is quite good and is also top in her field.  She told me my case is considered cosmetic, and I will have to pay $2500 to have both removed. Basically, $1500 for one side and $1500 for the other side, but she is taking $500 off because I won't be heavily sedated.  I live in Ontario, I was wondering if anyone else has had their procedure covered by OHIP?  Even though I explained to her that it's quite painful, she said unless there is an infection or cancerous, it won't be covered, and OHIP has stopped covering axillary breasts for females.  She even said if I get pregnant, it would get bigger if I don't do something about it!!  

Also, she mentioned that if there are any alterations, or if it comes back, and follow-ups will be covered in the price, which is good.  She doesn't believe in liposuction because it can come back, so she will actually be cutting it out.  I am having the surgery on a Friday and will come in on the Saturday to have the drain tube removed.  She told me I can go back to work on the Tuesday, seeing I don't do heavy labour.  Those who move boxes and lift heavy things will have to take 2 weeks off.

Anyone else has an opinion on this??  Thank you!
Hey.... I'm just curious roughly where you are in Ontario.  I live in Caledonia, (which is just below Hamilton).  Is the surgeon you are seeing near here - or maybe the Toronto area?  Hopefully you don't mind me asking.

I think the point about it not being covered by OHIP because it isn't infected or cancerous makes sense to me.  I can't lie though... I was really kind of hoping that the pain would be enough for them to consider covering it :(.  By the same token - if I knew of a surgeon I trusted...  who seemed to know what they were dealing with... I think I'd book it right now for two or three thousand.
Hi ahmic,

I'm actually in Toronto, and my surgeon is located in Scarborough.  I'm still debating if I should get both done at the same time, because I don't know how bad I will be able to handle the pain - at the same time, I want to do it in one shot.  If you want to know the surgeon's name, let me know and I can post it.  I wasn't sure if we are allowed to post their names here because I haven't seen anyone else do it.  

My surgery is booked for Feb. 1st - the surgeon said I could book at any time, and even next 2 weeks is available.  
Hi ,i found this website ust now and would like to say that my armpits are exactly like yours and i'm booked in for surgery on 21st January(beat you to it!).The op will be on the NHS under general anasthetic and i'm just as worried as you about the recovery time as i'm a single mother of 3 kids aged 11,9 and 5yrs.I 've had this problem for years now but it first started once i'd had my 2nd child.The threads i've read are very helpful but i would appreciate it if someone can go into a bit more detail on how it was directly after the op and if you need to be drained after the the op do you have to go back into hospital to have it done or are the tubes left in when you are sent home as i've been told i will be sent home the same day if alls well.
Can anyone tell me how they managed with the housework and also their personal care like going to the loo,bathing,changing clothes,brushing hair etc.
Its good for me that there is someone else from UK as the set-up and lifestyle will be similar.  The drainage tube issue is worrying me a bit as well as I cant imagine what it will be like.  

Hopefully I can still have my surgery on the 24th as i just got told by my GP yesterday that i have 'Post Viral fatigue syndrome' as I have been unwell since catching flu in november.  I am taking it easy though (ie. sleeping while daughter is at school!).  I still want the surgery done so I might not mention it to the hospital.
Yay! I thought I was a FREAK! I have "lumps" like yours but mine are even bigger. My husband and I call them my "arm boobies".

I have had mine since my early teens, although as I had my children (and gained weight), they got bigger.  I spoke to a couple of doctors, one said I would never get rid of them because they were fat and all I could hope for was to go to the gym and "tone them up".  Another doctor actually examined them and said she thought they were "migrating breast tissue", but that I should probably wait until I finished having children before getting them surgically removed.  I'm going to look into it now, though.

My mother also has them, and she managed to shrink them quite considerably by dieting (she was also a bit overweight).  They're still not completely gone, though.

Good luck with the surgery! I can't wait to hear how it went :o)
1 week to go now and am feeling tense.I'm worried about the recovery and how long it will take before i'm back to normal again.Can't wait to get rid of them though.I have family and friends to help me.My sister in law will  be doing the cooking and my neighbours will help dropping the kids & picking them up from school.I've told my kids they have to help as much as possible like hoovering and tidying up especially my daughter(she's 11) who's a lazy sod,but theysaid they will.Let's see.I hate mess and stuff lying around.

I don't know about you but i intend to go and get myself some baggy open front nightshirts or tops to wear straight after the op as i don't think wearing normal clothes will be comfortable and also if there are any drainage pipes.I've told my daughter to help me brush and wash my hair if need be.Like you said if it were that bad they would keep us in hospital but then again we are talking about the NHS.They can't wait to throw you out of hospital and i'm talking from experience.

When my husband had his op to remove part of his lung(he had lung cancer)he had drainage pipes put in which were removed after 5 days.That is something i'm not looking forward to but as long as i recover and get back to near enough normal i'll tolerate it.

I've had my mum and my brothers wife trying to put me off aswell but then i told them that ok,i'm doing this because i feel uncomfortable but what if i had been told that it was necessary,and i had to do it.I wouldn't back out then,would i.

I'm still waiting to hear some more recovery stories from ladies who have had the op recently.Mind you everyone recovers at different rates,some quicker than others and then,like some ladies here some have complications,but still it would help us ladies that haven't had the op yet mentally prepare for what we can expect.I'm not too worried about the pain as i had my last child by caeserean(it wasn't as bad as i had thought).Also i assume that they will give us some strong painkillers for a few days after the op so if theres lesspain then it will help in recovery as we can relax a bit.
You sound like you are in the right frame of mind for this!!  I'm jealous you will be on your way to recovery in just a few more days.  I'm from the US so we don't have a NHS but it sounds like there are some negatives to it.  People here think it will all be perfect once we get one, they don't realize there are some draw backs.  No matter what I think you realize the pain or discomfort will all be temporary and then you can feel comfort again.  Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing once you can do so.  

All I can say is thank you to all.
I always had swelling, pain and lumps in my underarms right before I had my periods, so I didnt pay any attention when they swelled up right before the birth of my first child and became tender.
Three months after delievry my mum noticed it and suggested I had it checked out - since there was swelling in only one armpit.
i started freaking out especially since I have breast cancer in my family blaming myself and thinking that the doctors would have said something during my pregnancy exams. Anyway fearing the worst i went to my OBGYN he took one look at it from far away and started a lecture on extra breasts, dont remove until I am sure i dont want any more kids, after i stop feeding i can come back only beacuse i am so upset and hell refer to me to a surgeon who will confirm that i have nothing to worry about
To be honest i really didnt understand what I had all I knew the doctor felt there was nothing to worry about - still since i couldnt ahve a mamogram (mammogram) i felt he should have asked for a unltrasound to be conducted just to be sure
Anyway 9 mths down the line in sep 07 i went to primary care and mentioned this to her and she looked at me as if what my obgyn had said was something she had never heard of - thatreaction freaked me - and then she sent me for an ultrasound.
The tech made me wait until she showed the initial results to the radiologist and came back and told me that all was clear and that my primary care would call and confirm the results. my primary care confirmed it was breast tissue.

Uptil now there was tenderness but no pain in the lump but this month i have started feeling pain so I ahve made an appointmnet with my OBGYN to talk about it.

By the way i live in USA and my lump is in the left armpit.
Can anyone tell me how it feels straight after the op.Is it very painful?
hi all, i was on this a while back in sept after my first diagnosis but have seen been reading a bit but not logged in. been quite confused since my first diagnosis. i went back to the breast clinic to get answers to the many questions i had afterwards, and was told basically that if i wanted the surgery (i am in uk-so it would be on nhs) he would do it for me but that it was my choice-the debatable issue i am having with it is it is only one side and from what i can gather from the rest of you, it really is not that big (yet?) but i notice it. my husband and friends say they can see it only when i point it out but it does cause me some discomfort-i can feel it there, sometimes it itches and during menstration, it hurts. i am worried about it causing complications during/after pregnancy but was told by surgeron i should not do it as a pre-empt surgery because i was worried about furture developments and deal with that when/if it arises. but it does bother me. another strange thing is that it developed really only 9 months ago. i am 31 so it has not developed due to pregnanyc, puberty or weight gain...have any of you noticed even a slightly version of yours before weight gain or pregnancy? i am really confused if i should take any steps now or wait and see what future holds....if it is worth going through all the complications of surgery if it could grow back after pregnancy or maybe not. the breats clinic scheduled me for another appointment in march and said to think about it and if i am not going to go through the surgery, he would close my "account" He is really quite a rude doctor so i am hoping to get second opinion but with nhs you dont always have those options. even though he is rude and not very sensitive, i do trust that he is a good surgeon...any advice???  
hi nats76, did your first doctor tell you why not to get it taken care of until you are done having children?
Hi.  It is my understanding that with childbirth the breast tissue can return when your body prepares for breastfeeding.  So you can wind up with the same tissue returning.  
I have been away for a bit but just realised that Yaz104 is having her surgery today
Good luck!

I also was surprised to see that someone found my new website already and contacted me through it just now!  Wow. it seems the whole world may need to learn about this breast tissue issue after all!  (I see TV and magazine interviews!)

www.fatarmpits.fusiveweb.co.uk
Hi everyone.Here i am 2 days post op,typing away.I was kept in overnight due to the drains which were removed yesterday.When i first woke up i was in pain and a bit confused about my surroundings.I knew that the op was over and i was in recovery and i remember telling someone i'm in pain and then falling asleep again.Whan i woke up after that i felt much better so the nurse must have given me some pain relief.I saw the scar when the dressings were changed and it runs right down the middle of the lump.Removing the drains wasn't at all painful and overall it's been much better than i was expecting.I hope to be feeling much better by next week.I'm going to hospital for a checkup on tues 29th.I thought i would have problems moving my arms and hands but it's okay.Lifting my arms up at the moment is painful but doing small chores which don't involve reaching up is ok.I have some swelling and bruising and have been told i can shower on friday.I'm to shower and then get my dressing changed so as not to wet my under arms.Will be going to GP on Friday to get my dressing changed.Don't worry Freckleston,you'll be fine.Good luck for tomorrow and hope to hear from you soon.
\When i say that the scar runs down the middle of the lump,i actually mean it runs down the middle of where the lump was!
Hi everything went well yesterdya got to hospita at 730 and went down for op at 10am and woke up at 12noon.  felt shaky & nausious but got home by 3.30pm.  I have not seen the wounds yet as they have huge padding over and surprisingly I didnt have any drainage tubes put in at all.   I am feeling really restricted.  I can only reach things that are right in front of me and have to move my body in the right position to reach like if a cup of tea is to the side of me I got to get up and face it.  I cant lift a kettle of water but can bend down and pick up small toys and tidy up  a bit. Getting up from laying down is hard on the stomach muscles as cant use any power from arms. I think I might have popped a stitch last night as I had to lay on my back all night which I hate and tried lay on my side but got a bit stuck!  Cant really get my tops on and off by myself either which is a pain. I can shower on third day and dry very carefully with kitchen paper.  I was a bit annoyed they didnt give ne a note for statutory sick pay so I got to try to sort that out today.  There is no aftercare provided by hospital I got to make a appt at my normal surgery in a week to check the wound. the hospital may see me in a month or so though.  I am also wearing lovely stockings to prevent thrombosis.  Have hd not much pain, just mostly in the right side where I think I popped that stitch. I think the advice I was given is working THE BEST WAY TO MANAGE PAIN IS TO PREVENT IT.  therefore I am taking paracetomal, then 2 hours later Ibuprofen, 2 hours later paracetomol etc.. and also a nurofen/codeine preparation at night.  So I just got to watch tv all day now.  bye.

Yaz - im glad it all went well for you.  there were obviously some slight changes in the procedures in our different areas but mostly the same.

I update as soon as poss and maybe do a bit more with photos on my website if I can manage to tonight.
Anna
Well done Anna.The worst is over.Things can only get better.I went to my gp's today to have my dressing changed.The nurse said that my wound was looking ok and the surgeon has done a good job(according to her).Try to take things easy for a few days atleast.I know it's not easy when you have kids but you don't want the wound to open up and cause more complications for you.I'm taking paracetamol and codeine.It's day 5 now and i'm not in much pain but since last night i've been having a tingling sensation in my arms,especially my left arm and i get a numb feeling .I had a shower yesterday which wasn't easy at all.My sister-in-law washed my hair and then i did the rest.My daughter ties my hair up or reaches for stuff when i need her to,which is about all she does.It's okay when picking up stuff from the floor or lower down but reaching for things higher up isn't easy.I'm so used to running around and doing everything myself that it doesn't feel right just sitting around.Iv'e been told that i can drive from today.What has your doctor said?Wish you well.
i am very pleased that the painkillers are doing their job for both of us. I am really surprised I have not been in much pain, as long as I do not move too much.  I had a good nights sleep last night even though I woke up in exactly the same position as I went to sleep and my back was aching. I am a bit worried about taking this level of tablets for  a couple of weeks though as it cant be healthy but I am drinking a lot of water as well so hopefully this will flush out liver and kidneys.  I am going to try and get my mum to help me shower either tomorrow or monday.  While my family are out I have been tidying up a little bits and pieces but leaving the dishes and washing.  I have been using my daughter to pass me stuff as well but she is only five so cant reach most things!  I fancied a snack just now but as no-one is here I will have to wait til later.  Even though I had a good sleep I am still tired so am going to have another nap, I may as well while it is quiet here and maybe sleeping will hasten the recovery.  They didnt mention driving (I dont drive so i didnt ask!) but I am certain that I would not be able to this week even if I wanted to as I dont have enough mobility back yet.  I am supposed to remove the bit extra padding by now but I am a bit scared to in case it is holding everything together!  Hope everything continues to progress well for you.
Hi there

I have a big lump under both of my arm pit, I went to get ultra sound and it wasnt cancerous, I saw a plastic surgion and he told me that if he removed it I will have a big scar under my armpit for ever, Im so embaressed its getting bigger and I cant wear anything sleevless. I Live in Hamilton Canda, so I wonder if you have the name of the plastic surgion that you had the surgery with, because our doctors here are so stupid, I cant live with this any more.

I appericiate your help, Thanks
Hi,i'm sorry i can't help you as i live in the uk and had my op on the NHS.I would say that if you're not happy you should get rid of it.Obviously you will have a scar but i reckon it's better than having big lumps under your armpits.
I am the one who lives in Caledonia, so I can tell you that I have seen two surgeons in Hamilton.  I'm not sure if it is okay to post their names on this site or not, but I can tell you that alllllll of the plastic surgeons names in Hamilton are listed on the section of McMaster University Medical Centre's site that has to do with the Plastic Surgery Department :)  I have seen two of them on that list, (including the one who is supposed to be the head or mentor or whatever - he is the one I liked the least :).

If I ask my family doctor about it again when I see her shortly, I want to be referred to a "surgeon"  - not a plastic surgeon or cosmetic one at this point.  My mother works at St. Joe's, and I am beginning to think now that there are some surgeons there that may know muuuuuuuuuuch more about breast surgery and surgery in general than some of the cosmetic ones in the Hamilton area.  And... you should really backtrack on this board to the woman in Scarborough who was talking about seeing someone - they sounded more knowledgeable and definitely cheaper than the ones in Hamilton, (I ran across a quote from the Dept. Head I mentioned earlier who insisted it was fat - he was nearly 5000 - wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more than the girl in Scarborough.

Just wanted to say that I took a quick look at your site, and I think that's an awwwwwwwesome idea - seriously.  I'm glad that the average person who does a search on info for all of this will now likely be sent to this site and the one you put together.   A couple of years ago I looked around for info like crazy, and there was absolutely nothing.  Also very cool that you are posting the photos - I am soooooo curious to see the post-op ones.  Hope you're feeling well - sounds as though everything is going as well as it could.

im glad you think the site will be of benefit to people.  Ive just got to gradually put some info on there now so people have got something to read!  The op has taken a lot of energy out of me actually, I feel really tired a lot (but maybe Im just a wimp).  I just took off my dressings and it made me feel icky so maybe everyone doesnt want to see ALL the post-op photos! just having another little rest now...
Hi,everyone.Went to hospital to have a check up.It's been 1 week since my op and am doing ok.The doctor said my wounds are healing fine but, he aspirated 75ml of fluid which looked more like blood to me from my right arm.This is what he called seroma.I got a bit worried when he came towards me with this massive needle and syringe but i didn't feel a thing.Maybe thats because the underarm area is numb.He didn't do the the other side as he said it was fine but i wish he had as my right arm is much more relaxed after being aspirated.The numbness is permanent he said but the tingly feeling i keep getting should go away in time.He also said that the puffiness under my arms will go away. At the moment i can't lift my arms more than a certain limit .If i try to i feel like my underarms are really being pulled to the limit.He said that should get better in time aswell.I really hope it does.

The shock of seeing how much fluid he drained made me forget all the questions i wanted to ask him.He said i can take of the bandages in 3-4 days time.I wanted to know that if i feel that there is anymore fluid build up then what should i do as i have to go back in 3 months time but, obviously if there's any problems before that then what should i do.I saw my wound properly for the first time today and it looks massive.

How are you doing freckleston?
Hi I am 5 days after op now and still dosing myself up to the limit with painkillers because Ive noticed when I leave a dose out then it starts to get painful.  I am not expected to see the hospital so I hope I will not get overlooked if any fluid needs draining, I am seeing a nurse at the GP but not sure if she is qualified to even think of doing syringing.

I am definitely restricted to raising arms to a very small height and still having trouble putting on clothes - at the moment there are only two loose tops that I can get into, even a dressing gown I need help as I cant move arms back.  I have a funny sensation near my right elbow which is also a bit tender when I press that area but I suppose that is nerves.  

I can do some things like fill up and empty dishwasher but I cant reach up to put the things away unless I get a chair to stand on.   Im so glad that my partner is able to take our daughter to school and pick her up so that I dont have to worry about time constraints during the day I can just take things at my own pace.  Things will be back to normal next week though so I hope I can do a bit more by then.

I saw my wounds properly last night and let them out in the air for about 20 mins before my mum put on new dressings.  They are really big and I cannot believe there wont be enormous scars there.  

Although the nurses were really lovely before the surgery I feel my aftercare has been a bit lacking, we have had to go and purchase my own dressings and look up information about caring for the open wounds.  Also I have not been asked to go back to hospital for any reason.

I am updating my photo so beware if you are a bit 'sqweemish'!
Hi,just saw your new pictures and obviously the scars are just like mine.Your right side looks more puffy than the left.Have you noticed that when you put your arms down that puffy area pops out,abit similar to what it looked like pre-op.I asked my doctor yesterday if it will go down and he said it would.I just hope he's right.At the moment i'can't say for sure if i feel iv'e done the right thing by doing this op or not.When the swelling goes down and mobility returns to normal(if and when)then we'll be able to say whether it was worth it.

I feel much better than last week but am still very sore and am sick and tired of sleeping straight due to which my bums started to hurt.Can't wait to get back to normal if ever.My sister-in-law's gone back home so this morning i made the beds and my arms feel tired.Don't you feel that when you stretch your arm it feels as if theres a string in there which stops you from stretching your arm fully?
yes the right is definitely is more kind of 'puckered' up although I have still been keeping the dressings on and have not noticed too much swelling maybe because I kept the huge blue dressings on for longer than necessary it stopped from swelling, (Im not sure).  I am experiencing more discomfort down the inside of my arm down to the elbow region. It feels tender but there is no bruising there.  

I am also sick of sleeping on my back!  it is really hard to sit up again in the morning isnt it! I was thinking of making the beds just now and gave up so I can imagine how hard that was.  My hoover is quite heavy also so I had trouble pushing that round yesterday.  Im going to keep on saving up jobs for mum and friends when they visit me!  

The feeling you describe about there being a string inside is exactly how this feels and I am too scared to stretch it as Im not sure if we are meant to or not.  I think I have been using a lot of different muscles to get around not using that muscle under the arm.  Like across the top of my back aches a lot where I have been trying to take the strain away from the underarm. and been using my legs and tummy muscles more.  

I got stuck in the bath yesterday!  - I thought I would have a shallow dip (not laying down) and sat down on my bottom  but realised that I couldnt put weight on my arms to get out again!  It took quite a few minutes of wriggling around onto my knees before I could get out!

I bet you hoped that your sister-in-law could stay a little longer, but at least you have had a bit of time to get used to what you can and cant do at the moment. Im sure you will agree that it is possible to do most things but they would just take longer than usual.  Not sure about washing hair though - will you be able to do that yourself?

I am making the most of the next 5 days as I can still get away with not doing much.  After that will be time to get back to normal homely duties!..  

I also have 66 emails for work that I have not read and just put in a 'read later' folder!  I did tell them I was not working!

I hope you dont think it has not been worthwhile - in a couple of weeks im sure the healing process will have come a long way.  I am pleased I had it done even though I do feel in 'limbo' at the moment.
Hi Patricia (toronto) I hope you are still watching and that you will let us know how you get on on Friday!  I know that there are others on here who will be paying for their surgery and they will want to know if you think you are getting your money's worth!
Hi Freckleston,

Thanks for asking, yes I watch the board every day.  I'm having my surgery on Friday at noon. I will definately keep everyone posted here on this board.  I was a little scared to do both arms at the same time as I didn't want it to interfere with work, but I had my follow-up appointment on Saturday and the doctor told me not to worry, that the pain is not immense.  She mentioned to me that another woman came in and did hers a week ago and was able to go to work in 2 days.  However, she only had this problem in one armpit, but it was the size of an orange.

Good luck with the healing to those who have already gotten their surgery complete.  I'll let everyone know how mine goes!
dear all, just want to say thank you for continuing to post your experiences. i am still trying to decide if i should wait or go ahead with surgery and to all those who are sharing your surgery experiences, it is VERY helpful. like i said in earlier posts, i have not yet had kids and my lump (one arm) does not seem as large as others so i am leaning towards waiting....am still not sure though but regardless of when i do, it is so nice to be aware of what i will be getting myself into post op and reading about how you feel personally....
yaz104, i am curious if as you recover more if you will still wonder if you made the best choice...
Hi tiffers.If i were in your place i would wait until i'd had my children because you don't want to go through all that pain and discomfort and then find that when you get pregnant you get the same problem again.My problem started after i had my first child and got worse with the next two.Complete your family and then go for it.

Me saying that i'm not sure whether i've done the right thing is because at the moment i can't say that i can see a huge difference compared to before.When i put my arms down it feels as if whatever is left of the lumps still pops out at the corners of my armpits.The doctor did say it will go down but lets see.My normal clothes which are very difficult to get into in the first place feel very tight on my arms and i had expected them to feel loose as some ladies here have mentioned that their clothes had a lot of loose fabric around the area where they had the op.Thats why i thought that if after all this if i don't get the desired result and iv'e ended up with these huge scars and i'm not sure what my mobility is going to be like,is it worth it?But what we all have to remember is that it is early days yet and things should only get better.My lumps were exactly the same as Freckleston but one side was slightly larger than the other.Maybe once the swelling goes down it will be better.I will keep you posted on how my recovery goes.

Since my sister-in-law has gone i feel as if i'm able to do more than i could while she was here,isn't that amazing.Hah hah hah.More like i was a lazy sod while she was here and was taking advantage of her being here,but am still trying to take it easy as i am still quite sore especially on my left side.I was half able to sleep on my right side last night which is great and i didn't feel quite so stiff when i got up this morning.

On Monday i was told that i can take off my dressings in 3-4 days so i will tomorrow and have a proper shower.I'm able to tie my hair up myself now even though it's a bit of a struggle so will try to wash my hair myself too.I've had neighbours and friends dropping and picking the kids up since my op but from monday hopefully i'll be doing the school run again.I haven't driven since the op so i hope it will be ok.

See you soon all!!

Just remembered you mentioned having a shower and drying your underarms with kitchen paper.Did you actually do so ?If you did then did the little strips whatever they're called come off? I'm really looking forward to my first shower without the bandages tomorrow but am also worried about the strips coming off.I hope it won't be a problem.Everything should be stuck together by now hey.Please someone tell me it will be okay.
I went to see my practice nurse yesterday (1 week exactly since op).  She didnt have much to say really except that I am not to wear ANY dressings from now on.  So I have been walking around the house with the wounds showing off - much to my daughter's dismay!  Im a bit worried about getting airborn bacteria onto the wound and that you have been told to still wear the dressing for a few more days, I thought maybe they are trying to rush things but I do feel a little bit more comfy without the dressings and Im not exactly going out anywhere.

With regard to showering - no I have not tried it yet and not keen to try it either.  I have been washing by sitting in the bath and also getting my mum to gently wash 'around' my armpits with boiled-cooled water.  The nurse said I could shower.  She said that the strips would come off quicker if I shower, also said that she could pick off those strips if I wanted her to but I said no thanks! I will let them come off naturally. I dont know how long it takes or if it is an issue.  I think the reason to get them off is superficial - ie. that they are stained with blood which makes the wound look worse.

I was a bit worried to sleep without the dressings on in case something happened in the night but it was fine as Im still having to lay on my back so didnt really move around - lucky you being able to go onto your side a little now- my poor back cant wait to.!

There is definitely more of a problem with my right side.  My partner thinks it looks as though there is still some of the breast tissue poking out but Im not sure - I think it is because the stitches are gathering it all in and puckering up the edges and I hope that when it all settles down it will even out.  I suppose I wont know for a while yet if they did leave a little bit.  

I have numbness right at the top of my arms at the back (i cannot feel when I stroke on the skin).  Also a bit further down my arm feels kind of burnt or raw and it is painful on the inside of my elbow.  Do you have these as well Yaz?

I have cut right back on the painkillers alhtough I still need them sometimes.  One reason i cut down being that I have been taking Codeine which in turn gives you constipation so I have been taking senakot as well to try to conteract it.  I think my body will soon say no to tablets!  

It is my partners birthday today and he is off work (I only managed to get him a book and some shower gel - it is going to be the most boring birthday ever).
Everything is back to normal next week though but I am still going to try and get people to do things if they offer -  I am happy to be a lazy sod for a bit longer!
Hi,I woke up with a terrible headache this morning.Glad the weekends here so i don't have to get up early in the morning for the kids.

I guess it's different in each area about when to take the dressings off,but you seem to be doing fine without them.They are irritating though and keep pulling my skin.It feels very itchy and sore around the edges of where the bandages are.Can't wait to take them off and have a wash but am worried that if the strips come off everythings going to fall apart.I suppose i'm being silly.I reckon that they probably have put some dissolvable stitches underneath and then folded the top layer of skin over the top and stuck it together with the strips.

I feel that there is still a little bit of the breast tissue remaining too but i can't say because until the swelling and bruising goes completely we won't be able to tell will we.I was hoping for normal armpits but i don't know what the end result will be.I have the numbness in my arms too but that was to be expected.I don't know about you but my surgeon did mention it to me.I also have the burning raw feeling you mention but it's around my bandages and it also itches.I do have some some painful areas in my arms near the elbows but the pain comes and goes,it's not permanent so i hope in time it will go .I'm not taking any pain kilers at the moment (have to for this terrible headache though) and have been well constipated especially last week,but it's a bit better now.

You should be able to start sleeping on your side pretty soon as our ops were done only 3 days apart.Give it a try,but turn over onto your side very gently so that you can find a comfortable position.

Happy b'day to your partner.Never mind,i'm sure he understands.Tell him to wait until next year.

Bye.
Those strips are called Steri Strips.Just checked on the net and most people recommend to let them fall off on their own,but it's okay if they do come off between 5-10 days.
i had my lump removed about the size of a golf ball from under my right arm pit on January 20th 2008 by a breast surgeon. He said the lump was fatty tissue and breast tissue. I was out the same day having had a GA. I have been having pain around the scar site and the wound runs the length of my underdarm. I have a swollen breast that side and swelling around the whole area. I did have the numb feeling that ran right down to my fingers but that is only on the evening now after a full day up. I am still off work for another week at least being in a active job. I am off painkillers now by choice and the pain is only bad at nights. Driving is a nightmare which i have done but only when I have no choice. I have driven 3 short distances and all were agony. I am pleased with my progress, scar healing lovely, bruising going. All in all i am well pleased i had this op done as the discomfort and embarrasement of the lumps was ongoing daily problem this surgery is all behind me and life is becoming more normal every day
Hi misskaz - thanks for joining us here - it is fantastic to get another persons viewpoint.  It seems things have gone pretty well for you. I hope you will keep us informed.  

I had a bit of a backward step today.  I had taken (another!) photo of both wounds for my website and was looking at them up close and I noticed that the right side looked a bit yellowy and sticky.  I checked it out properly and realised it had started to weep and smelt a bit horrible.  I went straight back to the nurse and am now on anti-biotics and have to put the dressings back on again for a little while.  

Yaz - I  also have a really bad headache for some reason and paracetomal is not even touching it - I went to sleep for a couple of hours earlier which didnt help either.
Anna
Hi Everyone,

As promised, I wanted to post my results for my procedure.  I had my surgery today at 12:00pm, but was not taken into the surgery room until 1:15pm.  The surgery lasted about one hour or less.  The pain is not too bad, as I'm on Tylenol 3, and the freezing is still there, but once that wears off, I know it might be painful.  I was told to take the Tylenol 3 once every 4 hours.

The nurse told me not to lift anything heavier than a phone book, and not to vaccum or take a shower until the dressings are taken off.  I will be going into the clinic again tomorrow to have the dressings changed and then on Monday for the tubes to be removed.  10 days after the surgery, I go back in to have the stitches removed.

My lumps were not that big, but once the procedure was done, I asked the nurse to show me the fat - it was somewhat disgusting but looked like chicken fat...they said they have to send it out for testing which will take about 2-4 weeks.  All in all, I should be back at work either on Tuesday or Wednesday.  I know for sure I need to get lots of bed rest and make sure not to stretch too much. I can already start to feel the pain under my arms.  

As I was under local, I was aware of the procedure, but my armpits were numb.  At times, I could actually feel them cutting, and when I screamed, they had to add more freeze to the area.  Along side that, they had to cotorize the area to stop the bleeding.  At times there too, I could feel the fire from the nitrogen, and I told them it was burning, so they had to apply more freeze again.

Overall, it was a decent procedure, the surgeon and nurses were fabulous and I had a wonderful experience of getting it done.  I was anticipating cancelling the appointment today, as in Toronto, there is a major snow storm here, but I needed to get this surgery out of the way.

Hope everyone else is going well!  I'm going to get some rest.
Glad you managed to get to your appointment through all the snow - You are really brave having it done under local and being aware of the feelings - i am personally very pleased I was out of it!  I also asked what the fat looked like but they said they could not show me so it is interesting you got to look at it!
It is really positive about going back to work Tuesday - i hope you dont have to do too much physically at work.  I think you will be exhausted after so I wouldnt make any big plans for the evenings- as even though the pain can be alleviated- it kind of wears you out throughout the day and personally I still just want to sag by 4pm.
you are another patient who has had a drainage tube - I am really interested to know why I didnt need this as everyone else seems to have had one even if just for one night.
Im very pleased for you, hope everything goes well. x
Thanks freckleston!  This is day 2 for me, and the pain isn't all that much.  I am still taking my antibiotics that the surgeon prescribed, along with my Tylenol 3 every 4 hours.  To be quite honest, the tylenol doesn't make me sleepy.  I went into the clinic today to change the dressings and took a look at my scars.  It's a bit swollen, but it looks really good and the doctor advised me to stretch the arms every so often.  I'm able to move around, change my clothes and sponge bathe.  I'm also able to do the dishes and raise my arms above my head.  The armpits are not tight at all.

Only this morning when I woke up was my armpits burning, so I took some Tylenol and it was fine.  I'm also drinking Cranberry juice to fight any infection.  I will be back into the clinic on Monday afternoon to remove the drainage tubes.  It's actually there to prevent any fluid buildup and infection.  It also keeps the pain down, as any swelling could hurt a lot.

I am hoping to go back to work on Tuesday, as I don't do anything physicial, just work on the computer.  If not, then I will stay at home for a few more days.  I really can't wait to be able to buy some new clothing that shows off my underarms, as I haven't been able to do that in years!

Thanks freckleson, for your advice and also your website!  That is great that you created that for all of us.  How have you been keeping and how are your underarms?  

Take care!
Hi everyone.I DID IT! I had my shower on friday and took of my dressings which i was a bit scared to do but all is well.My wounds look horrible but seem to be healing well .My right side looks worse but amazingly pain and mobility wise it's better than the left side.I don't seem to notice but i went to my mums yesterday and she says that i have slight swelling on my right upper arm.My arms get tired by evening and i need to rest them.Also in certain places when i touch my arms it feels painful,and i have a slight heavy feeling in my upper arms.I hope this is all just a part of the healing process.

Freckleston-Maybe the reason you ended up with this infection could be due to taking the dressings off too early,but that's what all the health proffessionals are there for.We only follow what they say.When i had my op in the evening one of the nurses came and gave me a dose of antibiotics via IV.She said it was to prevent any infection.Did you get this too?

Well done to Patricia 82 for having her surgery done under local anasthetic.Doesn't sound like it was easy.
Freckleston and Yaz did your doctor cut out a piece of skin from under the armpit?
Patricia did your doctor cut you open took out fat and stiched you back up?
I am not that pleased with the repair of my right side at the moment.  There is a little gaping hole at the end which I am worried will not heal back together properly.  In my humble opinion it needs another stitch.  I have just phoned the number I was given at the hospital for any problems but they are not interested in helping me and said I need to go back to my nurse or GP.   I think I managed to stop the infection from getting worse by getting the medication quickly although there is still a bit of a bad smell from that side

and no - they did not give me any IV antibiotics at hospital.
You could say Im not completely happy with the way Ive been treated after the op, everyone involved has been very dismissive.

I am able to do a lot more now though as the tightness has eased up and I can sleep on my side.  I am not taking any painkillers now at all.  I was very unwell yesterday I had a bad headache or migraine which hurt so much I was dizzy and vomiting.  I wonder if it was because I had stopped taking codeine apparently you can become addicted to that.

REE508 - im afraid i dont know much about what they did to me because i never actually met the surgeon who carried out my procedure!  i got put under anasthetic first.  i did want to ask him some questions but i never got the opportunity.  hopefully i will be told more when I go back to see the consultant in about 4 weeks.  I suppose they basically cut the skin, took out the tissue and sewed it up again!  thats all I know at the moment
I have just got an appointment with my nurse for later today so hopefully if I can put my case strongly enough then something might get done about the bit Im not happy with.  Ive learnt that if you do not demand attention or action, then everyone here is quite happy to send you away.
Just saw a nurse and she put another Steri-Strip across the end which was slightly gaping.  Because there had been some infection in there, this is what had opened up the wound, she hopes that the Steri-Strip will keep it closed enough to heal together by itself without a stitch but I'm going back to see her friday.  

You won't believe this but this nurse advised me to still keep it all completely dry if possible as this will hasten the recovery!  I cant believe the conflicting advice - I had otherwise been told to shower whenever I like.  I am happy that I have done what I instinctively thought best which was to keep it dry.
I don't know exactly what they did but they said they would cut right down the middle of the lump,so i reckon they must have cut down the middle,removed the excess breast tissue and skin and stitched everything back together.
Looks like you're having a hard time.I didn't think much of it at the time ,but seems the antibiotics that were given in hospital must have helped me avoid infection and also i took the dressings off after 10 days.I really hope you recover from your infection very soon.

Showering should be fine as long as you dry yourself thoroughly afterwards.Like i said,i used kitchen paper and then just walked around naked until i was satisfied everything was dry before getting dressed.You have to keep your wound clean and dry.I suppose it's good that the nurse has put another steri-strip on for you and hope it works so theres no need for you to have another stitch.

Have your other steri-strips come off yet?Mine haven't completely come off ,but i've snipped the bits that were peeling off.The swelling seems to be a bit better today but my skin on the upper arms hurts when touched.Do you have this?
I had the drain tubes removed yesterday and the dressings changed.  The surgeon put new ones on, but not as thick as before.  It didn't really hurt when she removed the drain tubes, but I decided to stay home again today and go back to work tomorrow.  There is slight pain here and there, but not anything significant.  I was able to take a complete shower yesterday.  I also decided to remove the dressings and not wear them anymore because I want the wound to get some air and heal faster.  I'm also still taking my antibiotics and Tylenol 3 when I feel any pain.

REE508 - my surgeon just removed the breast tissue and sewed back my skin - there was no cutting of my outer skin.

The right side is still swollen or bulging, as I may say.  If it doesn't go down soon, I will have my surgeon re-do that side - ahhh I may have to go through pain yet again!  She did tell me that any corrections or repairs will be done free of charge until I am satisfied.  I am happy with that.  I will be going back on Feb. 14th to have the stitches removed, so basically 13 days after the surgery, which is normal.

To freckleson, I hope you feel better soon and the infection goes away.  I hope for a speedy recovery for you and Yaz104.

Take care everyone!
Yaz - Well you have made it to 2 weeks now without your arm falling off! so another 2weeks and Im sure it will all look completely different.

Im feeling very tired and grumpy tonight!  My whole body hurts for some reason, I still been getting a bit of headache and I just want to get ellie to bed now so I can collapse.  

Yes my arms do hurt when I touch them - most pain comes from my right arm from the wrist and up the forearm and behind my elbow is painful (you know where they sometimes take blood from), and also the top of my arm.  It all feels tender like it would if it was really bruised but there is no bruising.  

I did pull off a couple of Steri Strips if they were loose but most of them are still on.  Im afraid the Steri strip across the small hole is not doing anything to help, it is just acting like a little bridge across the gaping bit, not holding it together at all.  I am going to go back again tomorrow if I can get in - I dont care if this will be the fourth nurse visit this week I just want someone else to take a look at it.  

I hope I will be in a better mood tomorrow after some refreshing sleep!  
Hi i just saw your post - you are so great about your recovery, just getting on with it - I must seem like a right whinge! Im not even going into work this weekend which will be over 2 weeks for me!  I have booked off time as holiday.
I have also been completely ignoring everyone from my admin job as I dont want to deal with the aggravation (just sending back email auto-replies saying Im no available).

I looked up Tylenol3 as I didnt know what it was but it seems its the same as what we would buy as any  paracetomol with codeine product.

Im glad your surgeon will re-do any bits that need correcting, that is good service, but Im sure you will hope it is going to turn out perfect straight off - it could well be just swelling at the moment couldnt it.
just come back from hospital - I have been pushed around from my general practice, then to my local minor injuries unit and then to the main hospital care unit.    My little 'hole' has been stuffed with a kind of seaweed extract which apparently will soak up any of the remaining infection and I have a dressing over it - again!  I was told that it cannot be stitched if there is any infection still inside which makes sense.  

I looking forward to receive an appointment date soon to see the consultant as Im afraid the nurses although very kind - are limited in what they can do.
I must say i feel much better today than i have been feeling the past few weeks.There isn't much pain now and mobility is better.It's been 2 weeks and 4 days now.I still have my steri-strips on and have been snipping the parts that are peeling off.The swelling seems to have gone down completely on my left side but my right side is still puckered up.Still it does look much better than before really hope this improvesI.I have pain in my upper arms especially when touched and on the under side.It feels as if my skin has been burnt but there are no marks there whatsoever.I'm hoping this will gradually wear off too.I still have problems reaching for things high up and i have to lift my self up to reach otherwise it's really uncomfortable.I really hope this improves.

Freckleston-Hi,how are you doing?I hope much better than before.Like i said above my swelling has gone down considerably,especially on my left side,but there's still a little bit that pops out on both sides.Do you still have that?It seems as if theres still little bit left.I was again thinking have i done the right thing,because i was hoping for completely normal armpits and if theres still a little bit left then it's not the exact result i wanted.May be i should have mentioned to the surgeon what my expected outcome was,but then again i have to say that there is a big difference compared to what i looked like before and i would rather have the scars than two ugly lumps under my armpits.If i didn't get the op then i would have had to live with them.

Will be back soon.
I am also not really happy with the right side.  Im fairly sure that there is still some breast tissue  there - however, but like you I agree it is better than what was there before and I cant imagine the NHS offering to re-do the surgery unless there was a medical need - (although I do know someone that had a NHS nose-job done twice because she 'didnt like the first one'!)
To confirm- I have exactly the same sensations as you ie. where it feels like its been burnt and I have the same problems with reaching things.
Im back to the nurse again today, I really dont know what to say about the right side - it is really messed up with that gaping hole now - I have updated my website with the photo of it and I cant really explain what its like.
I'm sorry you have had the recent difficulty, and at the same time, I am so grateful for all you have done to contribute to this list serv. Soon after puberty, I started developing these pockets. I am about 20 lbs over my ideal weight now, after two children (under 5) and whether I weigh in at 110 lbs or 146, I still have some form of what I have always called my "fat globules." I am in the US (Minnesota). Reading all these postings does get a little confusing. I guess the bottom line questions for me are:
1) Can liposuction be a first line attempt, or lipo-dissolve, for that matter and 2) Is there any serious risk from doing the full-blown surgery, and 3) who is the best practitioner to do it, a plastic surgeon, breast surgeon or general surgeon? Finally, 4) what is the likelihood of insurance paying for it? I am hooked on the idea of removing them (both underarm pouches) because for almost 30 years, I've been embarrassed and uncomfortable with tank tops and such. Now, at 43, just like my breasts, they are a little softer and looser than, say, when I was 30 and did not have any kids!

Any ideas on these core questions?  Any recommended Mayo Clinic or Minneapolis based surgeons?
Thanks!
I WENT TO A PLASTIC SURGEON FIRST WHO SAID, IT'S FAT TISSUE AND THAT LIPOSUCTION WILL GET RID OF IT. HE ALSO WANTS TO SUCK FAT FROM MY BACK ( 4,0000.00 DOLLARS). SO FRIDAY I WILL BE GOING TO A GENERAL SURGEON AND SEE WHAT HE SAYS. EVERYONE HERE HAS GONE TO DIFFERENT DOCTORS . I'M HOPEING THAT MY INSURANCE WILL PAY IF THE SURGEON DOES IT. I STILL HAVE NOT BEEN TOLD THAT IT'S BREAST TISSUE ONLY FAT, FROM MY PRIMARY CARE, PLASTIC SURGEON AND MY GYNO. SO CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT THIS SURGEON SAYS. I AM 42 YEARS OLD, 25 POUNDS OVER WEIGHT WITH TWO KIDS BUT I DON'T REMEMBER WHEN I STARTED TO GET THESE FAT PITS. I DID NOT HAVE THEM WHEN I WAS YOUNG OR EVEN AFTER I HAD KIDS, MY KIDS ARE 13 AND 10. I LIVE IN MASSACHUSETTS SO I CAN NOT RECOMEND ANY DOCTORS.  GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED.
Hello - it probably does seem confusing , I think because we have all different circumstances and are in different parts of the world. My experience is that
1)Liposuction/dissolve was NOT given to me as an option at any time as they said was mostly tissue not fat.
2)Breast surgeon carried out mine (no choice in UK NHS) but other women on this site have chosen whoever they trust most.
3)Im 99% certain that there are no serious risks involved (I was given false information about risks on my first consultation which scared me a bit but since found out that was only true if they are going in and fiddling with lymph nodes ie. cancer patients)
4) From what I can gather it doesnt seem likely that insurance pays out as it is normally considered cosmetic.

I hope you manage to get this done for yourself.  I know mine is having a little bit of problem healing at the moment but it is not too painful andcan tell that there is a big difference from before surgery which I am very pleased with.
I have had my "lump" for about 10 years now, a doctor told me it was excess breast tissue and i just believed him, i was given tablets to disperse milk during pregnancy, and, yes i would say it is more painful during my time of the month.  I bought a beautiful dress for a doo I am going to of course it is sleeveless and figured a shrug will hide the "lump"(does anyone agree with me it's so hard to find an evening dress with sleeves nowadays!) anyway, two friends got me to put the dress on and said it looked beautiful but what the heck was the lump! made me make another dr's appointment, I have since discovered another lump on the other side!
I went to the Dr's last week and was told it looked like a lymphoma and not to panic an appointment is being made for the breast clinic, I replied that i had been told it was excess breast tissue and i wanted it removed as it has became painful, I have noticed that my shoulder clicks when i am swimming I also wake sometimes with pins and needles in the same arm(has any one else noticed anything like this!).
Im going on I'm sorry, It's just heart warming to know i am not alone. I am however, terrified about going to see the breast clinic!
Thank you for the info. I guess the first step is to go to my OBGYN and also my general practitioner. I am just surprised that no one has said, in all these years of breast exams and now mamograms, "You know, you can get rid of that." So I bet it is vouluntary or "cosmetic." I'm also about to make a call to my insurance provider and see what they say. It's worth a shot. If I could just lose these 20 lbs, I could also see if it subsides. The aging process gives us a lot more "fatty tissue" in the breasts, so maybe this is now largely fatty tissue and lipo would help. We'll see....
I, like everyone else here have this annoyingly self concious problem and too have been told it's "just excess breast tissue" .  Ok DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE HECK CAUSES THIS!!!???? I 'm sorry but, we are all "normal" than at some point in our life we get this.  As anyone been informed of why this happens?  
Any information would be appreciated.  Thank you
I have been told a little bit by my GP - apparently when we are developing in our mother's womb, something called a mammary line (or milk line) develops in the babies body from armpit to groin.  What is supposed to happen is that the line then mostly disappears leaving only the bit on the chest to make the breasts later in life.  

In our case, some of this 'milk-line' is left around the armpit and then any hormonal change can make them start to grow.  Mostly it starts in women at puberty, pregnancy or after giving birth.  

However! I was not given an explanation for women whose excess breasts grow at any other point in life.. I guess that is still a mystery!
hello loopyloolisa!
dont feel worried about going to the breast clinic at least you will at last get a proper answer and they will exactly what to do.  Im glad you have found this site so you can read all about it.   I agree that it was clothing that was the last straw for me - and also my trusted friends agreed that the lumps were something 'abnormal' which made me start asking more questions and eventually to have the surgery.  
I didnt get any clicking in my shoulder but  I suppose the pit and arms did get a bit like pins and needles when the lumps were being squashed for a long period of time and then I moved.

My surgery is not healing up quite how I planned but dont let this put you off as Im sure it will all heal in the end.
Three weeks post op -
OK well one side is looking fantastic and feeling quite normal.  Different story completely with other side which is bleeding and I have been going to see a nurse every 3 days to have it checked and re-'packed' (filled with cotton) and then a dressing.  Photos on my website show the vast difference in the healing - I cannot understand how my body has managed to repair one wound and forget about the other!

It is not excruciating but I am taking painkiller sometimes and have a sling to stop my arm from moving too much.  
However, do not fret if you are concerned to have your surgery - I am assured that it will all heal normally in time.
Hi,i know just how you are feeling.With me one side is healing well,and on the right side it is healing, but the swelling is still there.I have an appointment with my GP on wednesday to get it checked out as i'm worried there might be some fluid build up there again and if so would like to have it aspirated,but don't know if the Gp is trained to do so .If she can't do it, atleast she can point me in the right direction.My appointment at hospital isn't until 28th April.

I saw your pictures and all i can say is that you have been unlucky.Like you said you don't want to put anyone that's considering surgery off the idea as it will eventually heal,it's just taking a little longer than you had expected.I wish you well and hope your running around as normal very soon.Luv Yaz
I have been reading the posts on this site for about three months. After reading about it, I made an appointment with a plastic surgeon. I live in Florida, USA and I have private insurance. She said that the tissue is breast tissue and would be removed by cutting it out. She has done the procedure many times and told me that even though I feel like it's unique to me, it is really a common problem that many women have.

I had the surgery two days ago on 2/13/08. I am so happy I had it done. I am still in bed and I can see that it will take the entire 4 weeks to heal and get 100% use of my arms back but not having that extra skin has already made me happy.

A few things that she told me, lipo is not suggested/proper if the tissue is really breat tissue and not just normal fat deposits. Since mine was clearly breat tissue, it got cut out. My insurance covered it and all I had to pay was a co-pay of $70. I don't have any drain tubes and I don't have stiches. Instead, she did what is called a complex closure (which is some type of glue). I have been putting ice under my arms pretty much 24 hours a day to reduce the swelling. I haven't had a pain pill since last night and it is nearly 11:30 a.m. now. If you are thinking about getting this done, I would suggest finding a plastic surgeon that has done it before like mine had.

As far as the surgery went, I had it done on an out-patient basis at a surgery center. The surgery lasted about 1 hour and started at about 9:40 a.m. I was on my way home by 11:30 a.m. So far, things are going really well.

I am very happy I did it and I am very happy I found this site because all of your stories gave me the courage to see a doctor about the problem. I cannot wait to put on a tank top this summer....I am so excited. If any one has any questions, feel free to post and I'll answer them. I will be at home resting and healing for the next couple of weeks. I'll also try and post when I see progress/healing.
Firstly I am sorry to hear you are having such a time of it Freckleston though you sound so strong through it all! I do hope you recover soon.  Thanks for the email and advice, I got my appointment to see the breast specialist through today and my appointment is for wednesday next week pretty quick I thought.  I am nervous but so glad i found this site.  Everyone has their own stories to tell both pre and post op, and its through this I can go in with some knowledge of what to expect, thanks all of you!  I will keep you all updated!

I live in Florida also and have an appt. to see a plastic surgeon on Tuesday - what part of FL are you in aem112? I'm praying that insurance covers it and I find someone who has done the procedure before.

Also - Many Thanks to everyone on this board for their honesty and support!
I live in the Jacksonville area and used Dr. Glasser of Parkway Plastic Surgery. I have Blue Cross and Blue Shield PPO and it was covered. I paid a co-pay of $20 to the doctor and $50 to the surgery center. If you are not in my area, I would be happy to ask my doctor if she knows anyone in your area. My good friend's cousin is also the Chief of Plastic surgery at Shands so I might be able to get information from him also. My doctor did a great job and it really made me feel good that she has done this procedure many times in the past. She also makes me feel so comfortable and so does her staff. It has been a very positive experience.

I had my first follow up visit today and the doctor and nurse think everything is looking excellent. I am so happy that the healing is going well so far. I feel really good also. I have more pain in my left side. It is weird because my right side barely hurts at all. The doctor said one side always heals faster/better than the other. I still take one pain pill before I go to bed to help me sleep. Otherwise, I don't need them during the day. So far, I am still so happy that I did it. I have another follow up in on 3/3/08. Thanks again to everyone.

Anna
Anna, it sounds like you had a great experience! I live much more south than you (Dade County) and have Blue Cross PPO (diff. than Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO). The plastic surgeon quoted me today at $1500 without insurance, since this procedure is sometimes covered and sometimes not. Mind you, my first plastic surgeon quote was $5500!! We'll see... now I'm getting recommendations from a friend-of-the-family gyno that a BREAST surgeon should do it, because of the intricate nerves, lymph nodes, etc...

There is something else that no one has mentioned that has been brought to my attention: the fact that the axillary breast tissue could POSSIBLY be composed of endometrial cells. Check out: http://www.beinghealthynaturally.com/womenshealth/index.htm
or
http://www.upmc.com/HealthManagement/ManagingYourHealth/PersonalHealth/Women/?chunkiid=19386

This is a RARE case kind of thing but axillary breast tissue is pretty rare in itself so it makes sense to inform everyone about it. The best information I've found on my 'condition' has been on this site, so if I can help just one person get a more specific diagnosis than I'm happy :O)

If you're still reading...
Endometriosis is when uteral lining is re-directed into your body instead of shed during your period. The biggest symptom is pelvic pain, but there are other signs. Again, it's a shot in the dark that the axillary tissue could be this, but since (and I quote) "the lymph (glands) and/or blood systems carry endometrial cells from the uterus to other areas of the body" it would make sense that the underarm (and the main lymph glands) would be a possible site of deposit.
Also, since unshed endometrial cells normally deposit around the uterus, one major symptom of endometriosis is infertility because of cell buildup and scar formation. My main point is, I'm going to a specialist about my 'armpit fat' JUST IN CASE, and I think everyone else should do the same. I think it's worth the peace of mind knowing exactly what we're dealing with, not to mention that it's a great reason to get a checkup which might be long overdue.

I'll let everyone know what I learn after I meet with the breast specialist!
Today it has been one week since the surgery. I can now sleep on either side and I have even woken up on my stomach with my arms above my head.  I feel so blessed since, after reading many of the posts, I know that it could have easily been a more difficult time.

The glue (which is purple) that was used to close the outside of my incisions is now starting to peal off. The doctor said that this will slowly happen over about a two to three week period. I am still a little swollen and I guess I should still use ice but I have been kind of bad about doing that since it has been cold outside the past 4 days.

I have also noticed that the numbness on the back of my upper arms is starting to go away. The doctor did say that it could take up to a year for it to go away completely.

So, I was wondering what everyone else's experience is with that?

I'll keep you all posted on how the healing continues.

aem112
Well I was at the hospital today for my chat with the consultant, who, knew straight away what it was when he looked at me, ectopic breast tissue was the term he used, and told me there was absolutely nothing to worry about that the proceedure to have it removed was very straight forward, I would come in to hospital in the morning and be home in the afternoon, the only discouraging thing he had to say was that after the surgery i could well be left with 2 "flaps" either side of the scar but not to worry as he could rectify the problem later on.  All in all a pretty successful day and my surgery is booked for the 11th April, I cannot believe how quick this has all come around!
Okay, I've been reading these posts all afternoon... Let me first say that I have accessory or axillary breast also. I am 5'6" and was 125+/- lbs at 12 when I first developed breast. A few years later, I noticed the puffiness under my arms. I also noticed the tenderness that was clearly associated with my menstrual cycle. I didn't have an ounce of fat on me, so I knew it was extra breast tissue. I always joked that I had a C cup... in my late 20s, with birth control and breast tissue changes, I went from a size 36B to a 36C. Still not much fat. I'm active and started working out routinely in my early 30's, but no, you cannot reduce breast tissue with exercise, just fat. So I feel really bad for those of you who had to endure dismissive comments about needing to lose weight. At 35 I had some extra weight (abut 15 lbs) that I lost for my wedding. I wore this beautiful dress and had to photoshop my underarms. I was bothered by them, but hey! some people deal with a lot worse and I loved the dress. We need to keep in mind that this is painful and embarrassing, but we are not less because of it. I've seen models, beautiful, supermodels with this. It's called airbrushing! At 37 I became pregnant for the first time and along with my breast, they got larger . And one got so painful that I had an ultrasound. But like many, I have been discouraged to do anything because there was nothing wrong. I don't know why they didn't get flabby like my breast when I stopped nursing... but anyway, after I'm finished bearing children, hopefully within a year, I'll look into my options and hopefully my insurance will cover it. We're trying again now. You all have given me a lot of information. I think one thing that rings true throughout this discussion is that women, young ladies need to know that they are normal and that they should not be ashamed. We need to start pulling off our t-shirts and start talking to our families and doctors and maybe well see this subject on Oprah's visit with Dr. Oz. We should all send emails on this subject to note our concern and maybe this won't be a quiet subject. thank you my fellow sisters who too have been blessed with double breasts!
Hi Freckleston, how are you and how is your wound healing up?Hope you are doing well.I went to the GP last week and had my right side checked as it was still looking as if it was swollen or had fluid there,but it wasn't painful at all,She said that if there was any fluid, it wasn't the kind that could be aspirated,so i should leave it for  2-3 weeks and hopefully it should go down.Last night though my right arm was very painful and i couldn't even sleep on that side.It was looking okay so i took some painkillers and went to sleep,but since morning along with the pain in my arm i also started feeling aches all over and cold .The wound was also looking red so i thought it best to get it checked out.Just been to the doctors and he says it looks like an infection and has given me antibiotics.Everyones telling me that it's happened due to me putting my new curtains up which i did last week( 4weeks post op).I asked the doctor if this could be the reason and he said not necassarily but putting up the curtains was not a good idea.So a word of warning to all out there.Even if you feel better don't do any heavy jobs for a few months after your op.Take care all.
I just read your post and it is so true. I am one day from two weeks post surgery and I have been doing too much. I felt so good that I cleaned the house and have been feeding my horse and all kinds of other stuff. Now I have pain in my ars from my arm pit area to my elbow and the swelling has increased. I talked to the doctor's office and they said I am doing way too much. Now I am trying to rest and not do very much. It really is hard but since the pain is more now than right after the surgery, I am really taking it serious now.

Take care everyone.

Viewing 1-200 comments: