Breast tissue in underarm
I have a lump on my underarm.  It is not painful but it is ugly and it makes me very self conscious.  When I got pregnant it really got big and filled with milk my doctor said it was breaast tissue that traveled into my armpit and that as long as it didn't hurt it really wasn't anything to worry about.  It just looks like extra baggy skin and as a result I can't wear sleeveless tops.  I've never known anyone else who has this to ask what they think or feel.  My husband thinks if it bothers me so much I shyould have it removed.  I am scared and want to know what the health risks are.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Shat should I do about it?
My mom had something similar and went in to have it removed. She has a tiny scar, but is glad it is gone. I don't know what caused it. Her procedure was outpatient, so she went home the same day.
Thank you for your comments Its very helpful to know i'm not the only one. I think I will start looking into having it removed.
My mom also had this problem and had it removed. She went into surgery for about 45 mins, came out, went home and that was the end of it. Both my sisters now have breast tissue under their underarms and both hate the way it looks. They both had it checked out and the doc told them it was harmless. One sister though has been complaining that it hurts her when she is close to getting her AF so shes going back to the doc to possibly have it removed. Im sorry I cant really give you any info on it though but just know youre not alone ;)
I had this as well, and had it removed before I had my kids.  Funny, though, when my milk came in after each pregnancy, this area was swollen again!  However, when I stopped the "engorged" stage, it went back down.  It was a great surgery for me, b/c the lump rubbed against my bra when my arm was down, and did cause some discomfort.  Good luck--
I have a lump under my armpit as well.  I went in to get a CT a couple of years ago and was told that it was only excess breast tissue; thus I am not too worried.  However, I do feel slight pain if I press on it (I assume it is normal because the rest of my breasts are sensitive in the same way).  I also am very self conscious about the way it looks when I wear sleeveless shirts.  I am considering getting it removed.  For those of you who have gotten your excess tissue removed, was it done surgically?  What was the price range? How was the scar?  Did the lump ever come back permanently?
I am recovering from having breast tissue removed from my armpit. I had surgery just over 2 weeks ago and the best thing ever. The lump used to hurt especialy at night in bed when I would sleep on my side. It also looked ugly and like another boob. My surgeon did an excellent job with the scar so far it looks okay. I would say if it hurts and you are concious about it have it removed. My sister also had both armpits done.
I'm a mother of two and pregnant once again.  I thought I was one of the weirdest women on earth...thank you.  I first noticed the engorged lump when my daughter was born and yes milk leaked out of it.  It got so bad, my husband helped me "pump" it,and I got two oz. out of it.  Now pregnant with my third, I have swollen breast and terribly tender underarms, it hurst to sleep on my side and I'm definatley considering having it removed after my baby is born.  Maybe we're all "normal" afterall.
Ladies I too have the same problem. I only noticed the tissue with my last pregnancy, but not my first over nine years earlier. My youngest just turn 1 year old on the 14h of June and throughout my entire pregnancy, I felt tender under my arms, more so on the right side. I started complaining to my OB and he sent me to a breast center to have a unltrasound. And they commented this was a common however, I was the worst they had ever seen. My OB said that they would probably go down after the baby was born, and if I breast feed, they would go down once I stopped. I never noticed they went down, I stopped nursing my son at 7 months months and soon after I fould out I was pregnant yet again. My due date is some time in September, and I just started noticing the tenderness recently,  I think the darn things are getting even bigger. My OB thinks I should be positively sure I will not be having any more kids before I get them removed, and I am pretty sure. They are so gross and I have never been insecure before but I really am now, even in front of my husband, he just laughs about them and says "they look like nutsacks"  that's just gross! It's summer, I'm hot, and I can only manange to produce summer babies. I'm sorry to all you other women out there that have similar issues, but it does make me feel good to know that I am not the only one.
Can any of the ladies out there tell me the name of the procedure to have these lumps removed??
I also would love to know the name of the procedure...and who exactly do you go to to have it removed?  A breast doctor, plastic surgeon...etc...

Debbie
I have had these lumps since my first baby was born in 2001.  I now have 4 children and have had problems with the tenderness of them for the past six years.  They are the size of ping-pong balls and it is very hard to find a bra that fits with out it rubbing or poking the excess tissue.  It is very embarrasing.  I won't wear a sleeveless shirt.  However, my best friend is getting married this Sept. and I am the Maid of Honor.  Of coarse the dresses are sleeveless.  I was referred to A PLASTIC SURGEON by my primary care physician.  The plastic surgeon told me the medical term (of which I can not recall at this time) and continued to tell me what the procedure entails.  There will be two small scars not under the arm, but a little in front (where it creases).  It is actually liposuctioned out.  The nurse called it a breast reduction, but that was not the technical term.  The Doctor explained that I may  have drainage tubes for one or two weeks following the procedure to empty the drainage so there is no risk of infection.  I have been told to wait until I was done having children before getting this surgery done.  I'll let you know how all goes.  The surgery is planned for later this month.  Good luck to you all.  That nutsack comment cracks me up, Cause it's true.
i recently went for a physcial exam and my doc found that i have swelling in my right under arm and asked me to get an ultrasound scan done. i got ultrasound scan done and they said that the lump is my breast tissue and referred me to a surgeon.  

i am yet to meet the surgeon...would any one please let me know, how the procedure is done, will u be given genereal anesthersia,  how much does it costs, how long do we need to stay in the hospital..etc

i am feeling relieved to see that i am not the only one with this problem...
THANK YOU ALL!!!  Now I can stop feeling like a freak of nature.  I too feel embarrased even with my husband.  I am desperately trying to find a doctor in my area who has experience with this kind of surgery.  The technical names would really help.  Also did anyone get there insurance to pay for it??
I have heterotopic breast tissue under my arm also. The surgeon I saw is sending me for a CAT Scan Friday and said that if it is in fact normal breast tissue- he highly recommends leaving it alone. He said that there would be a great chance I could get lymphedema in my upper extremities if he tried to remove it and that it is a debilitating disease. It is so uncomfortable and it looks awful but after researching lymphedema online, I'm terrified now. Anyone else hear of this? It looks like alot of people on the board had it removed w/out a problem.
I have always had extra tissue along the outside of each one of my breast.  Even though this extra tissue pops out of the side of my bra, I continue to wear sleeveless tops.  I would love to have this corrected, but I do not know whether I should go to a plastic surgeon or someone else.  I had a string of infected cysts removed from my left underarm years ago, and since then, there have not been any lumps under either arm. I have noticed that even some models have this condition.  Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one concerned.
i actually and i really mean that i thought i was the only one in the world who had this ugly thing under my right arm and i too was told it was breast tissue and it was harmless but man is it ugly.
im 25 and have two kids.(4&5) When I was engorged so were both of my armpits. It hurt so bad it would just give me the chills constantly. My dr. said it was breast tissue, but told me nothing else. My youngest is 4 and all of the sudden they are hurting again! Its really strange. I mean it hurts to even put my arms down. Im hoping Im not pregnant , If I am, I would only be about a month along and I dont know if they would be hurting from preg. this early on.My nipples are sensitive right now too. I couldnt even believe when i went to google this that after typing in :breast tissue.." that "breast tissue under arm" appeared. I thought "Wow, I guess im not the only one!"
Well I just heard back from 3 plastic surgeons I sent e-mails to and... One doesn't do the procedure said I should speak with a general surgeon.  The other has done the procedure several times and said sometimes it takes lipo other times it has to be excised.  And another just said we do all kinds of breast procedures come in...  Will update when I know more.  And it is called axillary breast tissue...  Still wondering if my insurance wil cover any of this since it is painful...
I have the "ping pong ball" look under one arm and it drives me crazy!  Several years ago when I was about 25, a plastic surgeon told me he wouldn't remove it because it would cause too much nerve damage.  But now after hearing how many of you DID get it removed I am going to look into it again.  It starts to get sore and bigger about 10 before my period is due and lasts until I get it.  Now that's a big chunk of the month to be sore!!  I hate it!  My question to everyone is:  I am trying to get pregnant (I am 30) and I feel my armpit getting sore before my body would even recognize I had conceived.  Has anyone had this hormonal pain, but still conceived?  Could it mean I am pregnant and my period will NOT be arriving?  Please help me!!
wow I cannot believe I have found some people with this problem - I have been going around for five years (since the birth of my daughter) with big lumps under my arm.  I was dismissed by at least five different doctors during this time who all told me it was just excess FAT (I was not heavy at 1.7m/ 143lb) I have spent this time hiding under old womens clothes and trying to exercise my underarms which is quite tricky!  The final straw came last week when I broke down in tears when shopping for a dress to wear to my mum's wedding - I had been shopping for 7 hours and found nothing suitable - even dresses with some sleeve - the discusting lumps would creep out at the sides.  I always knew it had to be something to do with the pregnancy but I had to trust the doctors judgement.  I tried one more new doctor yesterday, and rehearsed what I was going to say because i was upset.  Finally, this doctor took notice of me and said it was definately AXILLARY BREAST TISSUE and is referring me to the Breast Clinic, almost certainly to have it removed (unless there are complications).  Things are a bit simpler for me as I do not need to find my own surgeon it is arranged by the National Health Service.  With regard to pain - they have not been too bad they feel tender a lot of the time but I suppose it is because they are squashed under my arms.  I have the contraceptive injection so I do not get periods at all so have no way of knowing if this affects.  I am so angry that I have been left so long it has really affected my lifestyle - there is NO Way I go swimming with my daughter.  I am thinking of complaining to the medical board here - this should be picked up right after having babies and not dismissed as FAT!   Sorry I was going on a bit  ... I just cant believe I found some women with the same problem!  I have my appointment with the clinic on the 30th August so will let you know what they say.