Breastmilk going away...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Breastmilk going away...

I've been supplimenting formula for about a month now... But it was a trial and error, I want to breastfeed more. I do it a few times a day, but my daughter dosnt get enough and gets frusturated. Is it possible to get my milk back? I started pumping a lot yesterday and all I got was 3 ounces, from the whole day. I used to pump 6 ounces in 20 min.
Anything helps.
You have to nurse to make milk - Since you chose to go with formula your milk supply decreased because your body thought you were no longer nursing.  You just have to keep her at the breast as often as you can - You don't want to supplement unless you don't think she is getting much but if you want to nurse you have to build your supply up so you may want to cut out all formula and keep her at the breast 24/7 and see if your supply comes back.
I have nursed two infants each for 12 months.  I am currently pregnant with my 3rd child. The more you do to stimulate milk production, the more milk you will produce.  If you pumped 3 ounces, you have not lost your supply.  This means that you CAN build it back up.  At each feeding time, I would nurse the baby first for 20 minutes on each side.  If the baby has not had enough to eat, then prepare a bottle.  Repeat this at each feeding.  Even if she is sucking, and nothing is coming out, it is stimulating more milk production that will pay off in a few days.  This can be frustrating, but you can do it, AND IT WILL BE WORTH IT!! Good luck!!
I agree with the above. You do have to nurse, not just pump. Also, my grandmother told me to eat potatoes. A little "old" advice. Also, I remember my husband took me out to dinner when she was about a month and a half. My mom came and sat with the baby. We were in a very nice place. Well, I decided I would have a beer. It must of done something, as soon as i drank it I looked down and OMG I was dripping all over my one shirt that fit!!!!!! I wouldn't advise drinking and feeding your baby though. I had pumped a lot before I left, thank goodness!!!Sooooooooooooooooooo embarassing!!! That's part of being a mom though lol
I agree with the above posters...it should bring back your milk supply.
How are you and Cady doing?  Hows things with James?  Hope everythings working out!
Jen
Sorry about that above...I accidentally posted before I had finished typing so here it is again:

Absolutely you can get your milk supply back! I have breastfed 3 babies and am currently pregnant with #4. My second and third babies (boys) I breastfed for 12 months, but my first (girl) I breastfed only for 6 months as she weaned herself off because I had also supplemented with a bottle. My mother always told me as soon as you do this you are weaning them off and your milk supply decreased and she was right. But anyway, I persisted and was still able to get 6 months worth of breastfeeding for her. My boys didn't take a bottle at all (actually I didn't bother offering one!) and I fed on demand.

The other poster is right though. If you keep nursing your baby, it will stimulate the milk glands, try and feed her often and don't let her get too full on the bottle! If she's still hungry - whack her back on the breast - even if you only breastfed her like half an hour or an hour before. You can still trigger a "let-down" where you will feel the milk draining from your breast during the feed like a faucet turning on. Feed her often as your body will only make up what she drinks at each feed so the more you feed the more it's going to make in anticipation for the next feed. HAVE CONFIDENCE that your body can do it! It's fantastic that you are willing to keep trying - good on you!!!
Absolutely you can get your milk supply back! I have breastfed 3 babies and am currently pregnant with #4. My second and third babies (boys) I breastfed for 1I breastfed my first for 6 months - she weaned herself off because I had also supplemented with a bottle and my milk supply decreased
ok, I'm a nurser too.. so hello :o)

First of all... why are you supplementing? Is there a reason? If you want to have a good supply then you should not supplement... your body should respond to that added nursing time and increase its supply in a matter of days.

Secondly, pumping is NOT a good indicator of how much milk you have.... baby is MUCH more efficient.

As for increasing your supply, drink lots of water and nurse and pump as much as possible and it all should be well

check out www.kellymom.com too they have a lot of great info