Brown Discharge?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Brown Discharge?

LOL...me again...haha
anyways, today i have noticed alot of brown discharge mostly when i wipe and sometimes with like dark specks [its hard to explain], and its not really enough to wear a liner [but i do anyway because i expect that period should come soon] does anybody know what this is? has anybody eles had anything like this before?
are you pregnant?
This is my first time on a chat site. If you find out what this is, please let me know.  I've have the same thing.  It started about five months ago (the same month I started trying to get pregnant) and has been happening ever since.  Black/brown spotting a week - two weeks b/f I get my period. I went to my dr. and they said everything was normal, but something just feels off.
i dont know...LMP was on December 29...
i have the test...but i havent taking it yet
you might be pregnant and releasing your old blood. Take a test
i have the same thing...the start of my last period was dec 16. i missed jan but had brown discharge for 3 days starting the 9th....and this month i just started having the brown discharge again. i took a hpt in jan when i missed my period but it came back neg....anyone know what is going on??
well i'm 18 and just recently got on birth control. the shot. since then i've been having a brown discharge. i've found websites that say its just the birth control affecting my liver but i haven't found any solution to the problem. does anyone know anything about this?
I have the same thing.  I'm 31 and usually have this blackish-brownish discharge for a couple days after every period.  Well I shrugged it off as old blood making.  Well now I have skipped a period for Jan. and I've been having this discharge for 3 weeks now.  And it's heavier/thicker than before.  It does not resemble blood at all, in fact it has these little pieces of something that looks like skin in the discharge.  It's kind of gross and I want to know why I'm having this and when it will stop....

I have ovarian cysts but usually have a period every month, so this is very odd.  Do you have cysts?
I have the same thing.  I'm 31 and usually have this blackish-brownish discharge for a couple days after every period.  Well I shrugged it off as old blood.  Well now I have skipped a period for Jan. and I've been having this discharge for 3 weeks now.  And it's heavier/thicker than before.  It does not resemble blood at all, in fact it has these little pieces of something that looks like skin in the discharge.  It's kind of gross and I want to know why I'm having this and when it will stop....

I'm 28, and I've had the same thing for over a year, acutally almost 2 years and I'm definitely not pregnant. I've gone to the doctor, and had tests done, an ultrasound. There was nothing. I wasn't on the pill then, so the doctor tried me on the pill for 3 months. It seemed to stop the spotting temporarily. I don't stay on the pill because no matter how light the dosage, I get so CRAZY on the pill!! But now it seems to be back again. A brownish discharge, with almost skin like flakes in my urine. This all happens about a week or so before my period, and I usually wear a tampon, closer to my period because I'm not sure how heavy the brown discharge will get. I hope some one has some answers, because the doctors don't seem too?!?! I will try going to go again, but very hard to make DR's appointments now a days!
i am three months pregnant the last few days i have been haveing aliot of dark brown discharge comeing out of me is this normal as i dont seem to be getting any were with the doctors in my area i have no pain and still have sickness i am so scared and no one to talk to i an nearly 34 years old and am despressed to have this baby.
your depressed to have the baby.... look no matter how hard it seems right now and how much it will ruin your life.. its  not... might make things harder but it will very much worth it..

ok now for my problem...
i missed my period it's been about 2 weeks and i have this discharge that is darker but i usually get it after my period every month.... but now i missed my period and i ahve this discharge. .i don't know what it is... or what it means.. i took a pregnancy test but it said neg.. but i konw ppl w/ pcos can't use a home pregnancy test so i don't know if i have pcos.. i definatly could.. but i also don't have any insurance to go to the docotor... so i'm just gonna wait another month to see what happens
OK, so here's my problem. My LMP ended May 22nd, 2007!! I haven't gotten it yet. I have PCOS, but my cycle has been reg since I had my son (that the DR's told me I was prob never going to have because my PCOS is so bad), in October of 2004. So, now, I haven't had my MP in almost 5 months and I've had some cramping for the past month. Today I went into the BR and guess what was there? Brown clumpy discharge and the same thing, the flaky stuff in the urine(which is def dried discharge). So....what's up with me??
i am 24 and ever since i had my c-section i have had.cyst...stomach swelling.. im always tired...so much pain in my low back and pelvic pain..
i also have the black/brown/ dishcharge with what looks like liver chunks...i have ultra sound and go to the doctors..i show no infetion, im not pregnant..i have my tubes tied....and have no stds...this pain causes me from getting up and moving around...(keep in mind i have three kids.)
any one find out anything yet?

good luck to everyone .thx renee
I am 28 and I too have the same discharge.  Mine usually comes a week before my period and after my period is over I get it back again and it usually last about 2 wks. Mine is also thick Black/Brown/discharge.  I have three children and it didn't start until after my third child.  This has been going on now for 2 years straight.  After I had my son I got my tubes tied, and my doctors says that this is normal and can last for years after having a child.  She said that it was old blood and that the thick chunks coming out was just old skin left over from the having the baby.  I don't understand how after 2 years there can still be old skin left over.  I feel the same way that you all do, at first I thought I was pg., then I started thinking std, but all the test came back negative.  This just doesn't feel or seem right.  If anyone finds out what it is please let me know.
i am having the same thing. i don't know how true it is, but one site said it could be low progesterone levels in the luteal phase? not even sure what that means, but it could stop you from getting pregnant. it named some over the counter drug called Prometrium you could take to help with the progesterone levels, then the discharge should stop. like i said i am not sure if this works or anything, just letting you know what i read.
for about four months now my period has been very weird and out of the the first two months i would have two periods but brown spotting before each period. now for about two months no period and today it started with a headache and went to the bathroom and little brown chunks came out and when i wiped it was slimy brown and my back and stomach ached all day with the headache. i have not felt good all day. not a lot of energy either. i just recently found out i am hypothyroid so i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it and oh at night  i sometimes am freezing but I'm poring sweat. i don't  know what to think of that either. it looks like i'm not alone so at least that makes me feel  somewhat normal.
I'm 16 and I'm on the pill, I have been for almost 6 months. I got it about two weeks before my period and my doctor said it was becasue I skipped a day with my pill but I still have this brown discharge and I'm supposed to be getting my period in a few days. I'm worried...
Hello everyone, I'm 28 and having the same problem, or I should say issue.  From what I gather after reading from everyone else is that the brown discharge, in whatever shape or form it appears to be in is relatively normal.  We're all getting it around our periods.  I'm due for my period, actually, I'm a little late and I'm having the brown discharges now.  I'm thinking it has something to do with me missing two days worth of bc pills and had to take two in the same day and then two the next day just to catch up.  Yeah, my stomache ached a bit from that.  Everyone seems to be looking for a definite answer.  I would say that its nothing to worry about since even a couple doctors mentioned above says its nothing serious.  It could be our diet or our estrogen levels being out of whack due to bc pills, or it could be the old blood coming out instead of getting your period due to pregnancy.  Who knows...it shouldn't be anything life threatening, unless we all have some sort of cancer growing in our uterus which I highly doubt that that could be coincidental.  Lol...I hope not.
I'm 19. I am having the same kind of problem. I just had my period a two-three weeks ago, but now I'm having this slimy brown discharge that kind of burns. I'm not on the pill, I'm not pregnant for sure. I'm not sexually active since my husband is overseas. This happen pretty frequently too. Sometimes I get it a week before my period and sometimes after and sometimes that's all I get. I bleed brown more, so whenever I bleed red I get really happy. Is it a lack of some kind of nutrition?
So I'm freaking out. I am currently on birth control but early last week i went on antibiotics. The antibiotics said they may make birth control less effective, but my dermatologist said that was rare and i'd be fine. Last friday my boyfriend and i had unprotected sex but it wasn't for very long cause i remembered i was on antibiotics and so we didn't finish. Afterwards, i burned in that area and it bled a little bit, but it went away by the morning. Saturday night we hooked up (didn't have sex..didn't come close) and i bled a pretty good amount. On sunday and since then the blood turned into brown discharge that is slightly flakey. I'm not supposed to be on my period until next week, and i haven't missed a pill. I have no idea whats going on. I have a doctors appointment but its not for a few days and i'm freaking out. does anybody know what this is?
i'm 31 & have been having the same problem for about 5 months now-- i thought maybe it was a sign of uterine fibroids, so i went to local feminist gyne clinic and checked out fine -- not pregnant, either. she told me stress is actually the most common cause of menstrual irregularities like this, and a look at this board shows there are a lot of other women who have the same problem with no ostensible cause--because stress is invisible. Acupuncture was suggested, and i've got an appointment in a few weeks. i had to acknowledge that the truth is, i AM incredibly stressed, so at this point i'm willing to try anything that might help. acupuncture or no, what it seems like we all need to learn is how to take better care of ourselves, because women so often end up putting ourselves last on the list (i know i'm included in this category, and i don't even have any children, so i can't imagine what it's like for the moms out there).
I know what you mean i am almost the same i have the same stuff going trying to see over the internet what it might be is exhausting.I dont feel sick i just feel over whelmed with worry scared if i go to the dr he with tell me the bad news..I have had brown discharge for 2 years and my tubes have been tied for 13 years so definitely not from having a baby..this brown chunky stuff is new and also have pain in my left side near my ovary i am in mid cycle so could be the pain..if anyone has any idea please inform us..
I havent started having my period yet but ive been getting brown stuff in my undies a few times a day (i had to change my underwear quite a lot) and I'm only 13 years old.
I'm 20 and I have the same thing too. I don't know it seems like blood but some what it's not. It's brown and it leaves stain. I never have this before which got me freaked out. I hope I'm not prego because one is enough for me already. I have this for 2 days now and it's really bugging me because I have to wear pads even though it doesn't flow like periods or not necessary. I have my period normally at the beginning of every month, so I hope this is just a normal thing.

* About the liver chunk like
I think I know what you guys are talking about, they look like jello right? Those chunks are blood and what you need to do is drink warm water until it goes away.
*The warm water helps it to melt or stay blood, instead of jello like....
I'm 23 years old, my periods are pretty regular.....usually getting them between the 24th and 26th of every month, however this month, on the 19th in the evening hours heading in the 20th I started spotting a very dark, thick  brownish almost black even type blood, I suppose just enough for a panty liner or less....

It also was accompanied with mild cramping on and off, lower back ache, nausea, dizziness, fatigue....

My usual periods start off (when on time) a darker type red color and usually gets heavier where it should be within 6 hours or so, also with pretty nasty cramps, breast tenderness, lower back pain....

I've had 2 ectopic pregnancies in the past, one of which I actually lost my right fallopian tube, I've had a blood filled cyst on my left ovary removed within the year as well.

Additional comments: I am on no birth control, there is a chance I could be pregnant, no successful pregnancies (the 2 ectopics i've had, had a 3 year gap between them, 5 years now since the first one)

Anyone with any advice on this would greatly be appreciated, thank you all for you time! Best of luck to anyone with there worries and concerns.  
Hey Im 24 Im 2 months late and have the same discharge it was like a clump tho, all pregnancy tests are negative and I wasnt on the pill. I had abit of cramping in my stomach yesterday after the clump came out, please someone help me I really dunno whats going on
I  am 26 and i have PCOS and have had unregular cycles and now im also have the brown slimy discharge and im not sure why. I had my period already.
I've never had my period b4 and I'm 13 and today ive started having the brown discharge does that mean I'm gonna have my period soon
my periods was due today. i didnt get periods but today morning found some blackish white discharge. it was not watery. when i wipe only i could make out. can some one pls tel me if i am pregnant or it is anything else? i didnt want to take test now as i am scared of negative result.
I have just started taking Sprintec and I'm 18 but I just got off my period like 6 days ago and ever since I've had this light brown discharge with clumpy brown stuff in it. I'm not sure if anyone has an answer to what it is or knows how to get rid of it but if so please let us know it really bothers me.
I just read your post about the drown discharge from may and i am having the same problem now. our of all the post i can relate most to yours. maybe you could tell me if you know any more info or what happened with you.
I had a baby 5 months ago, I was on depo for 6 years before and never got periods I then came off it and two years later got period and then pregnant but I got depo 3 months ago and I had periods back but also experiencing brownish discharge for about 2 weeks now should I be worried??
Im 28.  I had been having regular periods since coming off the pill over a year ag. then we decided to have a baby and now my periods are being irregular.  for four months i had and then didnt have one.  now i havent had it for 2 1/2 months.  When i went to the doctor last month she did an untrasound and said i have polycystic ovaries but i do not have any of the symptoms of pcos.  i also had a negative hpt and blood test.  i disagree with not having any symptoms of pcos because after reserching it, i have many of them and found out it does run in my family.  So now i am having brown discharge that looks like it has pieces of something in it.  i took a hpt and it came out negative.   anyone have any ideas?  If anyone is in PA i also need a new doctor.
I think its dry blood . I get it too . Mostly when my periods going off .
Has anybody got any answers to this?  I had this problem a while ago - brown, but sometimes red discharge for up to 2 wks before period, sometimes mixed in with what looks like bits of skin.  It went away for a long time, perhaps since I had a laparoscopy, but I'm not certain whether it coincided exactly with that or not as the lap was a while ago now.  Anyway, in the lap they found I had endometriosis.  So it's possible that this was the cause, removing it solved the problem for a while and now it's grown back again (??)  Again, not sure I've got this right and it's just speculation.  It's really annoying me as this month I've been having it for weeks and period is a few days late.  And I'm getting pain inside.  Not sure if skin is literally peeling off from inside my vagina (sorry if tmi, lol!) or if it just looks like skin.  

Sorry for the long post. Interested to hear if anyone has any answers, or any more info.
I have a dark brown slimish thing coming out and i havent started my period and im a virgin can anybody help me im freaking out cause im only twelve please help!!!!:/
I have been having pain like ovarian cyst pain and I think that is what it is. I was suppose to get a sono done and I had to reschedule bc things came up. I have started taking birth control again and I messed up on it, but only one pill and I am so not new to birth control. So I keep talking it and my mishap period was the same as all the others. I have been off for about a week/ a week in a half and this morning I woke up to pee and I wiped and I always look because I am curious and for some reason there was light/dark brown discharge and like very tiny little brown flakes and I was like what the hack. So I googled it and this is what I have found. Could you please tell me if you found out what was wrong please.
Thank you
Hi I am 22, sexually active and my last cycle was last month. I am two weeks over due for my next cycle. I just started having a brown flaky discharge when wipe so I put a tampon in thinking my period was starting. Now the brown stuff that I would wipe off falls off if the tampon like flakes. Yesterday I had some light red coloring but it's now back to a dark brown. I don't have cramps but I do feel bloated and sometimes I get a slight pinch in my abdominal area or it just feels odd. I have also been light headed and have headaches but I drink plenty if water.
I don't have Insurence so I would hate to have to go to the doctors due to expenses.

Also had another question on when I do actually have cycles get to the point where it hurts so bad it makes me vomit and its only getting worst each cycle. And I don't know what to do about it.

Any help would be greatly anticipated!! Thanks!!
Please let me know anything that will help!
I am 24 and I am having almost the exact same symptoms as you, but im also getting extremely nauseous, and sometimes to the point where I throw up. I am not pregnant, I have taken several tests and use protection as well as the pill. I have no idea what is going on but I also have a boyfriend and this is very embarrassing.
I just had sex a couple days ago with my boyfriend and we had unprotected sex but he said he felt a little bit go in and i usually have an irregular period so i didnt get it last month and yesterday i started letting out a brown discharge. what does it mean? Am i pregnant? How ling should i wait to take a pregnancy test if i had sex 4 days ago? Im only 18 is an irregular period normal.?
This exact same thing is happening, with the little specks and everything. It's been freaking me out. I started my period after it happened and today when I wiped a piece of skin was on my toilet paper. It was a little bloody and it REALLY scared me. Has this happened to you after the brown discharge? Does anybody know what this is?