Brown Vaginal Discharge in Girlfriend (on pill)

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

My girlfriend (22 years old) has been on OrthoLO (28 day - 21 active, 7 inactive) for over a year now and has been consistent in taking it every day. On her current cycle she missed her 13th pill. She took pills 14-20. On the night she took her 20th pill we had unprotected sex and I came inside of her.  The very next day she started having cramps/pains in her lower abdomen.  She continued with the pill.  On the start of day 23 she started having a brown discharge that was more than just spotting but less than what she would get on her period.  And today, day 24, she woke up to some brown discharge.  she is terrified because this has never happened before, and coupled with the fact we had uprotected sex is making her worry immensley that she may be pregnant.  That was also the only time on this cycle that we have had intercourse.

What could have been causing that cramping/pain and is it most likely related to these brown discharges?  

Is it possible to have gotten her pregnant and have her start cramping just hours after intercourse? and then have these brown discharges a couple days later?

What would other causes of the brown discharge be? and is it normal?

How concerned about pregnancy should we be?

Avatar n tn
Sounds like she made up the missed pill so I wouldnt worry too much about pregnancy.  Brown blood is usually old blood..or  Could be she is having withdrawl (withdrawal) bleeding from the pill. If her period doesnt come she needs to take an HPT to be certain.  Anytime you mess up ur pills or stress it changes the hormones in ur body.  Have her see her doctor if things dont clear up.  Good Luck!
Avatar n tn
Take it from experience, for me EVERY TIME i missed a pill brown discharge came...  I missed pills all the time...  no babies here... Tell her dont worry... it takes 8-10 days for implantation if she was preg.
Avatar n tn
if she is 22 and on birth control then she should have a regular obgyn dr. have her give a call and someone (dr. midwife, RN) will answer her question. often times they will take a message, retrieve her chart/records and call her back. i am sure she is fine though.
Avatar n tn
Thanks, the more opinions and comments I get the more my girl's mind should ease.
i missed my last pill for the month had unprotected sex, but used the pull out method, but the next day i took my missed pill, this all happened this moth on August. I still never got my period for August and its already August 29, 2007..am i pregnant?
i've been very stressed lately could that be it?
Avatar n tn
IM ON THE PILL. BEEN TAKIN IT FOR about 3 months. i have missed 4 pills this month, and the day after missing the first one we had ups. now, approx a week since, i am having brown discharge. is this hormones from missing the pill or is this implantation bleeding? would a HPT give a true result if i took one? my period is due in 4 days time. confused.
Avatar n tn
I am having the same problem now, on the pill for 5 years, missed one and had unprotected sex 3 days after and have been having a brown discharge for about 2 weeks.  Will the discharge stop when I take the placebo pills at the end of the cycle and then go back to normal when start a new pack?  
Avatar n tn
I been taking the birth control pill for like two months now. And i missed two pills and i had unprotected sex. The next day i took the two pills that i had missed. And then i started having a brown discharge. Then i got really sick and starting throwing up. I threw up five times yesterday. Can i be pregnant??
im 15 on the everyday pill, i take no break, i have been taking this pill for just under 2months now and just before i was due on i started getting a thick brown discharge i was really worried but my mum sed it was normal. then i came on my period and i started getting a mixture of blood an the discharge, i have now finished my period and am still getting the discharge as this is the first time iv ever had this kind ov discharge im a bit worried HELP?!?!
Avatar n tn
ive been on the mini pill now for 3 months, and have no period at all, now i'm having a brown discharge. I've never had this before and have no idea what it is. i've only missed one pill and took it 12 hours late however this was a while ago, and me and my boyfriend always have unprotected sex. Is this sort of thing normal or do i need to go to the doc's??
I have the same thing as you. Did you ever find out what it was
I am taking a progestrone birth control. I missed my pill on the 21st of Aug. My husband and I had unprotected sex that same night. Three days later I had a brown spotting that lasted for three days. Toward the end it was light red. I was supposed to get my period 3days after spotting. But I never bled heavy. I stopped spotting on yesterday. When should I test for pregnancy? :-)
specialmom Woot woot. Tournament cha... Comment
Emily_MHModerator Survey link - https://goo.g... Comment
Belle313 commented on laureninlove's status
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals