Brown Vaginal discharge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Brown Vaginal discharge

I am not sexually active, and I have not had my period yet.  This morning when I woke up, I found my panties to feel sticky and wet.  Thinking it was just a lot of normal discharge, I went to put new underwear on.  Surprisingly, the large amount of discharge was brown! This has never happened to me before, so I smelt it to see if the smell could indicate whether it was my period kicking in or what.  It did not smell like iron or blood, it smelled like...barbeque sauce, the exact barbeque sauce that I had for dinner the previous night.  I know this cant be normal, and I am very worried, please help!
It wasn't barbeque sauce unless some prankster in the house poured some in your panties when you were asleep.  I think it's your period coming on.  You probably just had a light seepage over the last couple of days inside your uterus and into the vagina last night, and it drained when you got up.  When brown fluid comes out instead of red, it's older 'blood.'  (As you know, menstrual fluid isn't blood, but it does have blood in it.)  I don't remember my periods smelling like iron or blood per se, they are more unscented than that unless on a pad that has sat around a while.  If you are having low-level minor aching on the insides of your hips, that is another sign it is your period.  Put a panty shield or pad in your panties, and don't worry!  Good luck, honey.  Annie
p.s., Probably the reason you smelled the bbq sauce is likely because we often sweat out, especially on our upper, inner thighs at the crotch area, the smell of onions or garlic or other highly aromatic foods we ate the day before.  This is even when we aren't on our periods.
Wow thank you so much! That was quite informative.  After I sent that comment, I was thinking... "How culd I have bbq sauce in my uterus? its not even connected to my difestive system!" But thanks!! And I have another question, so its smelled like bbq cuz I ate bbq, and I sweated it out??? I dont undertand that completely... thanks soooo  much though!
I also feel minor pain on either side of my hips, so im pretty sure it is my period.  As well, the brown discharge hasnt really let up yet, and its been about 15 hours or so.  I put a tampon in to see if any menstrul fluid would come out, and near the tip of the tampon there was some red.  Though its not heavy enough to worry about a tampon, yet.  Whats your advice/thoughts?
K i just realized how random "bbq sauce smelling discharge is" but thanks for putting up with my wierdness, i cant talk to anyone else about it cuz theyd think I was crazy.  Thank you so much for all your help though!
As far as the period goes, it does sound like that is what is happening.  When I was really new at periods, I would know because my lower inside body would ache (not horribly) like muscle aches, below the waist on either side.  If it is light, you can keep at it with panty liners or pads, and if it gets to be a full flow, tampons are the trick.  

Humans have a lot of sweat glands in the underarms and pubic areas, and certain highly scented foods will come through pretty clearly in the sweat for some people.  It was probably just your thighs sweating in the night that made your panties smell like the BBQ sauce.

Good luck with your period coming on!
Is there any chance there is a forgotten tampon?  It's a pretty common problem; the next tampon can push it way up so it's hard to feel without trying.  Forgotten tampons typically cause brown discharge with odor.

HHH, MD
did you mean you have not had your period yet for the month or you are young and have not had it at all? i am guessing you meant for the month but ya never know. that is "good thinking" on behalf of the dr. who suggested a tampon may be in there that you forgot about!
also, i know this sounds gross but when you mentioned the smell, if i eat a lot of starch like potatos, pasta..that stuff, my discharge sometimes smells "pasty"
As far as studies prove, A BROWN Color is just a discharge, if the brown is very dark, and has a tint to red, then i guess its a period.... however if the brown is just brown and no tint of red then its just a discharge, many woman tend to have discharges every so often, some times in variuos colors such as brown.   If you continue to see this discharge for another 3-4 days, ring a doctor and ask him for a quik check up!
hi.. i had color brown vaginal discharge for about 4 days.. i had unprotected sex on saturday and sunday. we use withdrawal method only. then on a sunday,i saw some brown discharge. what would it be??? please help..
i have the contraceptive bar and for the last 2 months ive had prlonged periods and a pasty brown discharge. what is it?
I had brown vaginal discharge for about 2 weeks now and sometimes there are tints of red (which I think may be blood).. Why is my discharge lasting for weeks? I am actually pretty sure that I will be having my period on the 20th because I always get it on the 20th. HELP!
um heyy. ok so i had sex and its been a while. like two days after i looked in my underwaer and thers brown. i have had this before actually when i ad sex a long time ago. it took a long time to go away. is ther a thing i can do to make it go away. like drink water? plussss i havent started my periood in months! i know im not pregnant tho cuz i took a test and it has been three months and no showing lol. this time i used condoms and stuff but i really want to make sure its nothing bad. can i like get rid of it. and does the fact i havent had my period in a hwile mean anyting? i am very irregular but i cant remember it being this long since i havent had my period ? helpppp
I have'nt had sex in a  few months and I haven't had my period yet in about 2 months I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant but I had brown discharge on my underwear for a couple of days. This has happened to me before but it always goes away. What does this "BROWN DISCHARGE" mean?
It's like brown *** and it doesn't smell either.
I have no medical insurance or anything like that, but I want to go see a doctor what can I do about that?
I've had the same problem as all of you, and got concerned. So I started looking for answers. Here's something I found. Hope it helps  :)...
"I would need more information, but brown discharge is relatively normal. Sometimes when women ovulate, they get a little brown discharge or when our hormones are changing we can also get brown discharge. Now if its smelly, then it could possibly be a bacteria infection or an STD. So if its smelly, you should go to the doc asap. If its not smelly, then don't worry, because its normal to get brown discharge every now and then even when we are not on our period."
hey ok,
i've had brown discharge for a while,
but  sometime it will be brown other times it will be white or yellow,
the brown color will last for weeks maybe, and then go away for a few days,
i dont want to ask a doctor about it because its embarassing,
so i dont know what to do,
i've gone on a lot of sites and still not found my answers.
ive never had sex before so how could it be a STD?
could i have some other type of infection or disease transmitted by mouth or something?
HELP!!!!
i went to doc told her bout my brown discharge n she put me on the pill said between here n 3 months should be settled into normal periods n discharges my advise is dont ever be afraid to talk to your doc cos theyve seen it all before and probly after all each one of us different n ur doc the only one who knows enough about it to tell u wot causing urs n wot to do about it. thats wot there there for you wont shock them
I was on the pill for birth control. I had intercourse and the condom broke.. when I urinated the broken piece of condom fell out of my vagina into the toilet. After my pills were gone I was perscribed NuvaRing. During my 1st Nuvaring usage I begin to bleed brown blood a week before my cycle was due. I took the ring out and allowed my period to begin then put a new NuvaRing in 2 days into my cycle. I bleed bright red for 3 days and then it went back to brown.. I have been bleeding for a total of 10 days now. I also started to get vaginal irritation I thought could be a yeast infection but it does not itch it feels raw around my vaginal opening and inside my vagina and burns while I pee. I also have been nauseated. What could be wrong with me?
I had unprotected sex about 2 weeks ago. The guy i was with bought me Plan B just incase; I took it about a week and a few days ago. Well, today I noticed I have a brown discharge with a tint of red. I've googled all the possibilities, but I am not totally sure what it is. Any suggestions what it is?
I have had unprotected sex with my partner nd i keep getting like a brown discharge in my underwear sometimes it smells. I also get a wetness in my undies quite often somtimes so i have to wear a pantyliner nd change mu underwear Yesterday i had it again so i wore a pantyliner nd then i started bleeding but it doesnt smell like a period does, and im very worried because i have already had my period this month on the 7th, i took my pill last tuesday then forget totally about it! Im also getting a slight pain in my hips, my back and legs and arms are aching nd my head is hurting, i normally get this with my periods but im very worried, i get a lot of this wetness :-{ Somebody Please Help!!!!!!!
i hav really dark brown discharge in my panties and i am a virgin and i have not started my period yett. can any1 tell me what that meanz? wen i walk i feel coldness and i look and itz a dark brown color? if it iz my cycle, shouldn it  red?
Ive had white discharge for about a year and i am now getting brown is that normal
i havent started yet and havent had sex but have had a whitissh discharge A FEW times but now instead of white discharge its brown...PLEASE HELP IM SCARED!
hey...
so i have not gotten my period yet, ever. im fifteen and for 2 days i have been getting a dark chocolatey brown discharge in my underwear. im worried because i am only fifteen and have never had a period before in my life. does this mean my period is coming soon? it looks exactly like normal discharge, and smells exactly like discharge. HELP PLEASE!
thanks!
iv heard brown can also mean that you r on wrong birth  contrl is that tru
wrong birth control is possibl  my step mom is a nurse ihav long periods wit brown spottn she told me it could be cuz my birth control
ummm....im not on birth control...
i meant lik it sometimes is the cause
I had sex 6 months ago nd evry since then ive had a light somtime heavy brown reddish discharge on and off nd would likely happin after every time i have sex and my urine is very dark and Cant hold long enough to make it to the bathroom could this be an blatter infection
Ok I am 12 and I have not even started my period and I have this brown stiff comming out of my virgina I guess it has a tint of blood and it covered my panties in it it dosnt smell I have not told my mom about it does it mean I am starting my period
Brown discharge is normally old blood in your body. It's very possible that your period is going to start soon. Bring it up to your mom. She will be able to talk to you about it and will be able to give you the best advise.
Oh my God, this exact same thing is happening to me except I have no pains in my hips except a few pains in my stomach! I have no idea what to do or who to tell :(
i have the same problem, not sexually active or started my period and i got brown/black dishcharge out my vagina. usually for the past 3 years it has been yellow/clearish. and the other week when i was sick 2 times a big discharge of clear/white mucus. but that was a first and it stopped. my mom said she started her period when she was 14, and my birthday to turn 15 is december 31!? is something wrong with me?!
for the past week or so, I've been having discharge that looks brown/tan.  I'm in the middle of my cycle, so I don't believe it's blood.  I've never had sex.  The discharge also has a strange smell to it. Can anybody help?
I have not started my period yet, and have been getting some dark brown discharge for the past couple of days! It is quite horrible to look at but then again doesnt smell of anything. Is it a sign that I will start my period soon? Has anybody been getting brown discharge and then starting their periid a couple of days or a week or two afterwards :/ Im only 13 and it just confuses me why I'm getting this! Please reply, Thank you XX
Dont worry!!! This is very common with people who have not started their period yet... just keep some panty liners on at all times so you wont ruin your underware and be prepared for your period...Good Luck!
I have deep dark brown discharge and never had a period also my breast feel tender Wat does that mean
Im 13 and I think I just had my second period.
I don't really know because for my first one I had horrible cramps at night and when I woke up and I noticed that my vaginal discharge was brown. Then for the rest of the day I wore a pad and it got wet with fluid. But it only lasted a day! Is that normal. Now on my second one I got cramps and now I'm not even wetting the pad! But the red discharge is staying in my pubic area.
Do you know what's going on?
Annie im 10 finna be 11 in 4 days on the 4th of july and i have brown discharge what do it mean
I'm having the same problem but I haven't ever had my period and it barely goes on my pantyliner and when I wipe a lot comes of and sometimes there is like stringy or clumpy stuff and I'm really scared
I got my period about a week ago and I'm having a brown color discharge in my panties. should I be worried. I'm kinda curious not scared but can someone please post a comment with some advising info thanx
sometimes its blood sometimes its brown
I've had brown discharge (no smell), almost a week after my period, and I'm not sexually active, but I use tampons the whole time on my period. but it's happened a couple days in a row. also I'm sick with a small stomach bug causing diarrhea.. and I was wondering if it's old blood, cause that's what I've read is the most common reason, but is it old blood, because I'm sick, or what?