Brown bleeding instead of period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Brown bleeding instead of period

Hi everyone,

I was supposed to have my period on the 25th and stared on the 24th, I had very light brown bleeding, just enough to wear liner. I had protected sex 2 weeks ago around my ovulation day but he always uses a condom and comes outside me. I have never been on any birth control pill. Around 2 weeks ago was my final week so I was going through some stress of having to stay up late to study. Is it because of stress or pregnancy because I don't have any other symptoms and I can't think of any reason that I could be pregnant. Thank you
If you have had protected intercourse then chances of pregnancy are less. Brown vaginal discharge is most often associated with old endometrial tissues. In other words, if your period is late you might get a brown, rather than red, discharge. It could also mean that for whatever reason during your last menses the entire uterine lining failed to make a timely exit. In some cases however there is cause for concern like  cervical cancer, pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID), menopause, or sexually transmitted diseases like gonorrhea and  Chlamydia .You should consult a gynecologist who will physically examine the local area and may consider tests.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for responding. I'm only 19 so I don't think there is a possibility for pelvic cancer. I'm also my boyfriend's first girlfriend and he's also my first boyfriend so there couldn't be any STDs. I was just wondering if there any possibilities that stress can cause this. I've went through some stress a week and 2 before my period was due because of finals and a cold last week. We can't afford a baby right now. I love babies and they are wonderful to have but not the right time.