Brown spotting instead of period?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Brown spotting instead of period?

I have been on birth control for about a year, and I generally take it on time and hardly ever miss. My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex using the pull out method a week before my period should start. I took the rest of my pills like normal. But when I started taking the sugar pills and my period should have started, I only got very light spotting that's brown in color and sort of sticky. My period should have started Sunday/Monday and it's Wednesday and all I've gotten is the brown spotting. Does this mean I am pregnant or could it be something else?
The only way to know is if you take a test. Try a first responce. Good luck hun
This spotting can be due to implantation spotting or intermenstrual spotting.
You should get your pregnancy status checked. Hence to confirm the status of pregnancy, I suggest you to test for pregnancy by a highly sensitive pregnancy test 10 days post ovulation with a sensitive ( 20 - 25 mIU ) pregnancy test. Also then I would suggest you to get your serum HCG levels estimated since this is more specific than urine for pregnancy tests.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.