Brown vaginal discharge after intercourse with strong odor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I had intercourse during my last period and my period prematurely stopped the day after the intercourse. I had sex again a week later and I noticed a strong odor that I have never experienced before. I just thought that maybe it was old blood, but I had sexual intercourse again another week later and it was the same scenario. I have never douched before, so I'm wondering if that's what I should do to solve my problem. It is very embarrassing to have such a problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
no acctually i went to the doctors at the begining of the year for the same reason but i douch often actually and i asked the same question the doctor said - no doctor would  reccomend douching cause a womens body already has a natural cleanser and if you douch it interupts and throughs it out of balance and can cause a bad odor even PID (pelvic inflamation (inflammation) disorder) that
can cause pain in your lower abdemon and have some descoloration when useing the bathroom and can cause pain during sex and if your experiancing this right after sex you should really check with your doctor she'll probable give you some explanation and a prescription.
i don't think you have PID but trust me don't douch cause i thought you could only get things like that by STI (sexually transmited infection) or STD i was checked and no sighs of either so the doctor asked me if i douched i said yes twice a month or as need  she told me to stop and gave me a prescription and i havent had any bad odor or pain. but if you decide to want to check on the douches please check the boxes in small letters it says that douches can cause pid so just trying to warn you of what can happen just by douching i though i was helping my self but instead i made things worse my doctor said that when a women douches shes pushing bacteria in toward her reproductive organs causeing an infection wich can cause bleeding,pain,and even infertility if not treated on time so don't douch i really recommend a visit to the doctors if it continues i hope i helped alittle keep me updated please thanks
and good luck
Discharge plus strong odor after sex--especially a fishy sort of smell--almost certainly means a vaginal infection of some sort.  The most common is bacterial vaginosis, a bacterial overgrowth--but with BV the discharge normally is grayish or white, not brown.  Trichomonas (an STD) causes the same symptoms, and so can a forgotten/lost tampon.

Definitely see a health care provider right away. There's nothing to be embarrassed about; trust me, your doc (or your local Planned Parenthood or public health family planning clinic) won't think twice about a story like yours.

And definitely do not douche, which actually can be dangerous in this situation.  Douching increases the risk of complications from vaginal infections, like pelvic inflammatory disease.

HHH, MD
I have had a strong fishy and sometimes metallic vaginal odor for the past 3 months.  It is MUCH worse after intercourse.  I have been treated for vaginosis.  I have also used a ****** (which I NEVER use) as a last resort and also a 6 day caneston treatment.  I can't get rid of this smell!!
There isn't really any discharge but I feel really bloated.
I also have pain in my right abdomen and cervix after sex.  Does anyone have any ideas about what this could be?  I'm really freaked out as ALOT of gynecological cancers run in my family.  I've been to the doctor and I am impatient waiting for the results of my PAP.