Burning and swelling after intercourse.

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Burning and swelling after intercourse.

I ended my period about 2 weeks ago and approximately one week ago began experiencing itching and burning in my vagina. Assuming it was a yeast infection I treated it with over the counter medication which seemed to help but I then noticed blood in my discharge. I am now having abdominal cramping and I have swelling of my vagina after sexual intercourse. My breasts are also tender and I feel like I have PMS but shouldn't be starting my period. Could these be symptoms of pregnancy or could it be something else???
Avatar n tn
Hi, pregnancy is one possiblility I guess (I had very tender,swollen breasts early in my pregnancies) however you wouldn't be very pregnant so i wouldn't think that's the cause.  The swelling seems to be the big issue.  I would keep a very detailed record of when, why and what happens.  Have intercourse after a day or two of not and see if you have the same result.  If it hasn't worked itself out in a few more days then I would see a doctor.  I know this isn't a great amount of help, just wanted to add my bit.  Good luck.
Avatar n tn
Go see your doctor.  The over the counter treatments should not be used for yeast infections if this is your first encounter with a potential problem.  You could be treating a problem with the wrong med.  You could also be pregnant, and would need to rule out that or PID.  Good luck.
Avatar n tn
Could the blood possibly be spotting btwn periods?  How long until your next period?  I would see a doctor if this all continues.  One possiblity for the swelling/itching is herpes.  I was recently diagnosed with it and the only thing I've ever experienced 'down there' were a few yeast infections, usually brought on after sex.  Most people (90%) with herpes don't have sores and will only have symptoms commonly associated with other issues such as yeast infections, other std's, and uti's.  I have no idea if my yeast infections were actually yeast infections or herpes outbreaks.  No one knows what causes an outbreak but some women tend to notice them more after sex.  It's also possible for someone to have herpes for years w/o knowing so you or your partner may have contracted it long ago.

This is only one possibility out of many.  You should get a blood test and ignore your doctors if they tell you that blood tests aren't reliable.  Most doctors are not educated about herpes and will give a ton of wrong info.  You could also post your question in the std forum and see what that doctor has to say.
Avatar n tn
i swell up after sex y is this?
Des_a_rae commented on journey2motherhood's status
Belle313, and KTowne commented on Belle313's status
KTowne commented on KeeLolo's status
Sep 27
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals