COPPER IUD COMPLICATIONS
I have contracted some kind of infection. It started with a discharge and a foul oder and within one week I have a pain in the area of my right ovaries that feels like a vice grip is squeezing them constantly. Plus, my boyfriend is rather large and I had sever pain during sex as if he was bumping it which my doctor said was impossible. I have only had the IUD a little over a month and have had 3 weeks of bleeding followed by all this pain. Are these common side effects? I am ready to give up on it but if I only have to suffer a little longer then, I am willing to do so to avoid pregnancy. I am bi-polar and do not want to pass that onto a child.
If you have unusual discharge and a foul odor, you should see your doctor and get that evaluated.

I spotted off and on for several years after I had mine inserted, but the only time I ever had discharge and odor was when I had an infection.

The IUD can make you more prone to PID. You shouldn't be having pain near your ovaries, but I suppose it could be referred pain. Your uterus might be irritated by its new guest and rebelling a bit, mine did.

I'm trying to think how long mine really bothered me at first, but it's been 11 or 12 years since I had mine inserted.

So, to recap - I think a lot of women experience a period of pain, cramping and bleeding after they start using an IUD. Not odor or discharge. I would go back and have them check its position with an ultrasound. It's not impossible that something might be wrong. It might be a normal reaction, but worst case, you could have an infection that's traveled to your uterus, fallopian tubes or ovaries, or a possible misplacement or perforation.