Can Ovarian Cysts cause very long periods?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Last December a benign (3.5cm x 3cm) ovarian cyst was detected after I went to see the doctor because I had been bleeding non-stop for 6 weeks (while on the triphasic pill). The doctor told me to go off the pill for at least one cycle and to then start taking a monophasic pill, and scheduled follow up ultrasounds to see whether the cyst would shrink. I stopped taking the pill and after 4 days the bleeding stopped. After that I was blood-free for 5 logn weeks(during which a new ultrasound was done: the cyst had shrunk to 3cmx3cm), and then my period started and I started taking the monophasic pill. It has been just over 2 weeks since the day that period started (and since I've started taking the pill), and I am still bleeding.
Does anybody know how a cyst can influence one's period/bleeding while on the pill? Or any other ways in which hormones interact that can cause such long bleeding? The cyst does not hurt and does not contain blood, it's almost certainly luteal. I am 33 and don't think I'm approaching menopause yet. I also know I don't have fibroids or malignant growths in the uterus.
i just had a cyst removed.all i can tell you that even though mine made me miss my periods, cysts can cause irregular periods. you sure need to go to gyn and do a pap smear. if the pap smear comes out negative, you have to do a colposcopy. thats if you have an abnormal pap smear. but contact your gyn and maybe she can tell you if your period is longer because of your cyst. but i would do a pap smear too.