Can a pap smear detect pelvic inflammatory disease?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hi there,

I'll try to make this long story as short as I can. I've had abnormal symptoms for over a year which included spotting between periods, irregular periods (I assumed this was as a result of starting on the pill because before that my periods were always on time) and bleeding during intercourse. I assumed the bleeding during intercourse was a result of small tears so I didn't think too much of it until it was quite heavy one time and I went to the hospital because I was really scared. The doctor said I should change my pill and gave me something to take for a week to repair the lining of my cervix, I think.

I changed my pill, and that didn't help so I went to see a gynaecologist and he told me I have a cervical erosion due to sensitivity to oestrogen. He said the only way to get rid of it was to "burn" it or "freeze" it....but I took some action and stopped my pill for a month then started on a lower oestrogen one. By the time I went to the hospital to have the erosion removed, the doctor there said he can't see it anymore. This was great news. Plus my pap smear was normal too.

I am quite upset now however because I got tested for STD's again just in case, and this time I was positive for ureaplasma. The first time I got tested, the doctors failed to mention this, even though it was positive then too and this was about a year ago! So I've been carrying this disease for quite a while. I'm currently being treated for it now with Zithromax.

My question which is what I'm really worried about, is how likely is it that I have pelvic inflammatory disease? My doctor said this is highly unlikely...but given the amount of mistakes they have made lately, I'm seeking a second opinion. It is possible that I may have been carrying ureaplasma for 3 years at the most. I am so worried about PID and infertility. I haven't really had symptoms, but now all these sharp pains come to mind which I sometimes randomly get...I just think it's a stitch and it usually goes away within minutes. So is it possible I have PID and would my pap smear have picked it up?

I apologise for the length, but I am very distressed. I hope you can help. Thank you