Can a pap smear detect pelvic inflammatory disease?
Hi there,

I'll try to make this long story as short as I can. I've had abnormal symptoms for over a year which included spotting between periods, irregular periods (I assumed this was as a result of starting on the pill because before that my periods were always on time) and bleeding during intercourse. I assumed the bleeding during intercourse was a result of small tears so I didn't think too much of it until it was quite heavy one time and I went to the hospital because I was really scared. The doctor said I should change my pill and gave me something to take for a week to repair the lining of my cervix, I think.

I changed my pill, and that didn't help so I went to see a gynaecologist and he told me I have a cervical erosion due to sensitivity to oestrogen. He said the only way to get rid of it was to "burn" it or "freeze" it....but I took some action and stopped my pill for a month then started on a lower oestrogen one. By the time I went to the hospital to have the erosion removed, the doctor there said he can't see it anymore. This was great news. Plus my pap smear was normal too.

I am quite upset now however because I got tested for STD's again just in case, and this time I was positive for ureaplasma. The first time I got tested, the doctors failed to mention this, even though it was positive then too and this was about a year ago! So I've been carrying this disease for quite a while. I'm currently being treated for it now with Zithromax.

My question which is what I'm really worried about, is how likely is it that I have pelvic inflammatory disease? My doctor said this is highly unlikely...but given the amount of mistakes they have made lately, I'm seeking a second opinion. It is possible that I may have been carrying ureaplasma for 3 years at the most. I am so worried about PID and infertility. I haven't really had symptoms, but now all these sharp pains come to mind which I sometimes randomly get...I just think it's a stitch and it usually goes away within minutes. So is it possible I have PID and would my pap smear have picked it up?

I apologise for the length, but I am very distressed. I hope you can help. Thank you