Can exercise make a UTI worse

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Can exercise make a UTI worse

Can exercise make a Urinary Tract Infection worse by raising the core body temperature a few degrees thus allowing bacteria to multiple at a faster rate.

Thanks in advance
Avatar n tn
I had the same question about doing yoga during UTI and didn't find the answer. So, I decieded that because I was feeling so much better, I will take level 2 yoga class instead of the regular level 3 that I take just to speed up the healing. I felt good during the class, but at night the symptons got worse and next day was a complete misery. The pain went to kidneys and I had to take antibiotics.
I hope that somedody else who has the same question will find my experience helpful.
Avatar n tn
I, too, wanted to know if I could exercise with at UTI. I figured that since the bacteria thrive in a moist environment, running and getting all sweating wouldn't be smart. But while researching  I found a site that says this:

Keep moving. Even though the discomfort of a UTI may make you want to take to your bed, doctors say it is best to stay active since mobility aids bladder function, says Dr. Barksdale. “Exercise is always beneficial for the bladder, and it helps to get your mind off your discomfort.”

http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Information/Health/urinary.htm
I have my first GOD AWFUL UTI and dont wish it upon anyone!  I am a hard core gym rat and havent had the energy or been out of pain long enough to want to even exercise.  I've seen both answers to the question of you can exercise with a UTI.  Does anyone really know if it is more harmful to exercise or if it is okay, one just has to suffer through the pain.

Thank you
I am gym rat too - hate to skip a day but feeling awful due to cold and now a UTI. in the past I have asked my dr and she said it's OK to exercise if you feel up to it but get out of wet pants and shower ASAP after workout. Right now I feel too crummy to do anything so I am listening to my body. Usually after a day and a half of antibiotics I am back to normal. Hope this helps - UTIs are the WORST!!
I have a UTI but i didn't know untile yesterday and it's kind of like karma because i was thinking about having one and i was screaming at my brother so now i have one it i am just worried about how i am gonna pee at skool because my mom dosen't have a car to take me to the docotor or to get cranberry juice and antibiotic make my back hurt more so if anyone can help me plz email me ***@**** and no exercise just stretches your vagina and makes you pee more i tired trust me!
i was just interested to know - my UTI has been gone for about a month now and ive only just started playing basketball again. Hope the UTI never comes back..... wouldn't wish it upon even my worst enemy.
I have a UTI right now but it's the worse I've ever had and my antibiotics haven't worked and I'm on my third day of taking them. I too, am a gym rat and haven't been once this week, the discomfort is awful and the pain is making me cry. I couldn't bare to think of hitting the gym feeling like this. Anyone have an idea why the antibiotics haven't worked? I'm a bit worried.

Thank you
KTowne commented on renae176's status
1 hr ago
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Vikki2 is ...Joyful and Content Comment
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals