Can i take the Nuvaring out during sex?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Can i take the Nuvaring out during sex?

The ring is very uncomfortable for both me and my Boyfriend during sex...to the point were my boyfriend loses his erection anytime we try and have sex. Can i take the nuvaring out to have sex then put it back in after and still be protected. Two different pharmacist, and a few people who have used the nuvaring in the past have said yes but my Dr. said no. I don't really know who to believe.
Tags: Nuvaring
I would suggest going withing a different form of birth control if it is causing discomfort. Trust your doctor.
It is said that you can remove the ring for up to 3 hours before you have to re-insert it for protection. I normally dont take out my Ring during intercourse; but you may want to. The most important thing is to wash it before re-inserting it and to put it back BEFORE the 3 hours is up! If not, you need to have a back up method of birth controll for a week until you are fully protected again