Can you be pregnant and still have a normal period??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. For the last three months in a row I have had light pinkish spotting a couple days before my period is supposed to start and it comes with nausea and just a blah feeling. I still end up getting my period on time and it's normal the only thing that is not normal is this spotting I have been having and especially the nausea! It's getting old. The spotting usually only lasts a day or two and then my period eventually starts and is about 4 days long. I am 28, not on BC pills.
Also today what really got me thinking, is that I woke up as dizzy as I have ever been (I never get dizzy and have never fainted.)  I am perfectly fine, not sick or anything...so it made me think of my friend who had been dizzy during her pregnancy...don't know if I am reading into this more than what is there.  Also I have been constipated (I know too much information :) but the only times in my life I have been like this is when I was pregnant or just after giving birth.  I have also noticed a little weight gain.
I just wanted some opinions as I can't afford a doctors bill right now, nor a pregnancy test for that matter.  So can you be pregnant and still get a period or am I just having wishful thinking...
Thank you,
AJ
Well, to answer the original question, yes you can spot and be pregnant. No you cannot have a "normal" period and be pregnant as a period is the shedding of your uterine lining and would then sweep away the developing embryo.

As far as the rest of it, I am a SAHM of 3, yes count them 3 children ages 5, 2 and 3 months. We are working on one income that is not considered grand by anyones standards and yet I have never been unable to purchase a test, pack of diapers, or the like. In fact, we are about to close on our first house at the end of the month. Priorities are a must and perhaps one of the biggest for us is good health insurance. To not have even a simgle dollar to purchase a test is a scary thought, what happens if someone gets sick,what happens if someone gets hurt? Please consider this before trying to have more children.

BTW, my children are also amongst the most polite and respectful you will ever meet, but they also have the security of knowing tht their needs can be met financially as well. It has taken a lot of hard work and planning  and even more the personal sacrifices we have made to get where we are. We have had our struggles, but with due diligence, we have re-established our priorities and made things work. Please stop hiding behind the one income excuse and take a srtep back and look at what you wrote and how that looks to the other people here. You want another child but cannot afford a dollar test.

PS
Forgive the typing errors, it is tough to type and nurse a wiggling baby!
Yes, there are a lot of...not very kind people on here.

look it up on the net. their are many places that way you have what a period while pg.  this is one I found and there are many more

"I had a period for the first 3 months of my pregnancy. Everytime I went to the doctor, they did an ultra sound and everything was ok. I now have a 3 month old baby boy who weighs 18 pounds. My blood was always old looking, brown or brownish-red in color. My doctors told me to worry if it was bright red, and if there was alot of it, with severe cramping involved. And remember, if something does happen, that is our bodies way of helping us deliver strong healthy babies."

Get advise from dr.s some fourms You can talk with a Dr. and not people that will put you down. But one thing you can do is save up all your change in a jar when you get enough buy a test or if you have thrift stores around see if they will give you some money for old clothes.

Good Luck!!
AJ,
don't be discouraged,I am not judging you.I can testify to the fact trying to save on money with only one pay check coming in,it can be frustrating but it is workable.
keep your head up.
I gave honor to any mom that stays home and raise there child that is a full time job all by itself.
Be encouraged. God will continue to make a way
Who is judging her? All the others said was to either take a test or go to the doctor.  Do you have some other accurate way to tell her if she's pregnant?
Low income or not, there are inexpensive ways to answer this question.  
judgemental? you say you cant afford a $7 test, and you know how expensive a baby can be, so why do you feel judged that we cant believe you would prevent a pg if you live on paycheck to paycheck? if you were pg how would you pay for another baby?? nobody said you were a bad mother. nobody said anything BUT maybe you should be more careful (its  VERY easy to avoid pregnancy) if you cant afford it right now. so we didnt give you the balloon and flower answer of oh yes you must be!! some of us live in the real world and understand the cost factor. if we cant afford it, we dont do it!

garden of roses or whatever, you must be new, the question i cant afford a test but might be pg is a dime a dozen around here. some of us dont sugar coat or give false hope it will be ok. i tell you id rather have someone tell me the truth, rather than make me think having not an extra ten bucks is ok to have a child! i most certainly would never have one and expect the gov. to pay for it.
No,you can't have a "normal period" and still be pregnant.  A menstrual period, by the definition of the word, only occurs when you AREN'T pregnant.  But you can have bleeding that is often mistaken for a period.  Many women bleed during pregnancy.

Well, I guess if you can't afford to go to the doctor or shell out a couple of dollars for a test, you're out of luck so far as answers go.  You'll just have to wait until you can save up enough for a cheap pregnancy test.  Some places have them for a cuple of dollars.  That shouldn't take you too long.
You want to be pg, but can't afford a pg test?  You do know a single pack of diapers costs more than a pg test, right?
28 years old and you can't afford a pregnancy test? Do you have a Dollar Tree? They cost a dollar at Dollar Tree. Pick up some aluminum cans and recycle them and earn $1.

Or go to a Planned Parenthood and ask for an exam and pregnancy test.
Not if you use Dollar Store Diapers.  

It's all the same there.  
Gee Thanks, you've all been really helpful...  :S
You're right, I'm sorry.  In my opinion, you're just having wishful thinking.  You'll need a doctor's examination to explain the symptoms.
Will opinions really help a lot in determining if you're pregnant?
If you really can't afford a pregnancy test or a doctor, I guess you should just keep an eye out for the emergence of a baby.  It's pretty hard to miss.

In all seriousness, yes you can bleed during pregnancy and think it's a period. You will have to either A)Take a test or B)Go to the doctor.

The test is probably gonna be the cheaper of the two options, and will give you an answer sooner than just watching for the baby to come out.
No one is calling you a bad mother.  You said you couldn't afford a doctor or a pregnancy test, and wanted opinions.

So you got some.  My opinion? You will have to take a test.  Mslkpage was right, they cost $1 some places.  If you don't have that, I seriously hope you consider postponing a possible pregnancy, for your family's sake. No, money is not everything.  But not having a dollar or two is a huge sign of severe financial problems that will be intensified with the incredible expense of a child.

Take a test if you are unsure.  That's my advice.
I really don't understand what you were expecting here. Go to planned parenthood and ask for an exam and a test. Symptoms mean nothing. To tell you otherwise would be inaccurate.
WOW, are you a judgemental bunch!  Gee!  I will save enough $ out of my husband's next paycheck on Friday and will have to find out then.  Maybe you could learn something if you walked in someone elses shoes for a day!  How unloving a bunch you are...you know it's not easy being a stay at home mom with one paycheck, living paycheck to paycheck because you want to do what's best for your son.  There is more to this life than money and because someone doesn't have much doesn't make me any lesser of a person.  I am a terrific mom and everyone that meets my son are just refreshed to be able to see a loving, polite little child.  
Maybe you all should look in the mirror and reflect on the way you have treated me...I am DONE with this group!
You asked for opinions and now you scream, foul because you don't like what some people say.  If you want honey and roses ask your mum.  The women here are honest, often to a fault.  If you can't take that, don't post.

Please go back and read your original post.  It sets off all sorts of red flags for folks when someone hopes to be pregnant and then says in the same breath they can't afford a simple pregnancy test.  It makes you look ill-prepared to bring another child into your family.

I am all for mums staying at home, I think it is great.  I left a career and started my own company so I could work from home.  So I walk around the house with a cordless headset on **** normal mum things until a client calls.  It works very well for me.

If money is so terribly tight, maybe you could look into a part time job that you could work at when your husband is at home.  You may not be open to this, but it could help relieve your stress.

Also, do you not have medical insurance?  If not that is highly irresponsible.  What would you do if you, your son or your husband got sick?  I find it very scary that you cannot go to a doc.

I am sure you are lovely with your boy.  However, as his parent you are supposed to provide for his needs as well.  That doesn't mean you have to have lots of money, but he should have financial security.  If your husband has a good job, maybe you would both benefit from financial counselling.  My DH and I did that before we were married and it was such a help.  We started off with a budget and over the past five years our savings and income has grown.  We still live on the orginal budget, even though there is a little extra now.

I am sure you think I am judging you.  that is not my intent, I just think you are young in your thinking.
"If you want honey and roses ask your mum."

lol!  I like you more and more each day.  :-D
Ditto!

Is it because I am getting nastier due to the hormones.
"nastier" is such a foul word. I prefer "honest", "to the point", "not peddling rainbows and kittens", etc.
you are all a big bunch of *******! I'm sure when one of you end up in a situation like her's you won't post it, because your all for show. Very fake individuals.How can you advocate posting to a website when your really just waiting for any excuse to impose your misery on someone else.

*******!*******!*******!    
there are ways to be accurate and straight to the point without being *******'s about it.She asked a question to people who she thought was in a community of women not judging women , for an honest answer not ignorant people like you who have no real concept of women helping women.Instead you choose to put her down, maybe someone did that to you or it's a way of exerting anger and hatred toward yourselves.The answer to the question, and take notes ladies... Is,     "Yes, it is very possible to have bleeding that mimmicks a period, while still pregnant.However, the best way to tell is to take a home pregnancy test, or see your doctor for answers.I also know that there are many community based programs out there that will offer testing for free, I'm not sure where your located, but in my opinion, this is your best option at this point."

DID YOU CATCH THAT LADIES?
Yes you can have a regular period and be pregnant I am and Istill have periods.........  
is there any possible way you can get prego from anal sex!?? so me and my boyfriend had unprotected anal sex while i was on my period. i am scared that if any of his semen got around that area thatvi could get prego?? is thaf true and what are my chances.. i got my period the next month but it was a week early and seemdd normal (filled up my tampons, red color, heavyish on some days, lasted 5 days) also can you ovulate normaly while pregnant ? cause i have had stringy clear mucous.. im scared cause my breast have been hurting a little over the past two days but on h
s had more pain than the other..i was told that it could be from ovulating..my period  is suppose to come on the 7th of june but my period has always been irragular...can someone pleasee help me???  im not ready for a baby nor do i want one at this time..
*****PLEASE HELP!!!!!********
*****PLEASE HELP!!!!!********