Can you get pregnant the week you don't wear the birth control pat...

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Can you get pregnant the week you don't wear the birth control patch?

You change the patch once a week.  It is taken off on a Monday and my cycle follows that Thursday.  I took it off and had intercourse the same day.  I had my cycle but since then feet have been swollen and I have been having morning sickness.  Is there a chance of me being pregnant.
Well, since no birth control is totally 100%, I suppose there is a chance. But it's awfully tiny. Hormonal birth control works by suppressing ovulation. If you're not ovulating, you can't get pregnant, and that's why you're protected all month, even on your off/placebo week. It's fine to have otherwise unprotected sex on your off week :-) I suppose you could take a pregnancy test if you're really concerned, but it seems highly unlikely.
I agree, eventhough you take it off, it's still in your system and should be effective.  How long have you been on the patch?  Doctor's usually tell you to wait a couple of months before you have unprotected sex when they start you on the pill since it takes a little while to go through your system, and I bet the patch is the same way.  Although, it is possible to get preg. while on birth control, I'd take a hpt.  Have you missed your period yet?
If you do the Sunday-start method, it takes seven days for hormonal birth control to work. If you start on the first day of your period, you're covered right from the beginning. If you start at any other time (meaning more than a week after your period stops), you should wait a month.

You're fine.
hansen20 commented on Baby Noah!!
46 mins ago
KTowne, Des_a_rae, and Belle313 commented on Des_a_rae's status
51 mins ago
Baby Noah!! Blank
54 mins ago by Des_a_rae
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals