Castor Oil

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Castor Oil

Hey all My girlfriend that lives with me is Due on Thursday.  Saturday night she went in cause she was contracting for like two days and they told her that her contractions where not Strong enough nor consistant enought to keep her....they gave a shot of morphine and sent her home.  I heard that Castor oil helps start the process.....does anyone know how much one should take or if any of you have done this your self.  She would like to have the baby by her due date her aunt is coming from Texas to help her and it would be nice if her little bundle of joy was her for her arival.  After all she is the reason for her coming.
I tried it. to no avail. But I wish her luck! I even tried jumpin up and down on my bed. The only thing that I ever found to work, (5 children) was taking a long long walk.
god bless
You could always google castor oil for labor. I've heard it works, but I've never tried it. I know it does give some wicked diarrhea though. That is what can sometimes trigger labor.
My Aunt Maria Was pregnant with my cousin Simon and my mom and my Aunt Martha made her drink it cause they wanted to have a New Years Baby.......It worked tooooooo well.  He was born Dec. 30
Believe it or not, nipple stimulation induces labor!! I can attest to that.  I was 5 days late and read about it and did it and went right into labor.  It wouldn't hurt to try.  Heck, it just might be enjoyable LOL.  The article I read years ago said not to do it until you were due of course.  

Oh! She's right!! I did it, too! It has been 8 yrs since my last pregnancy. I am pregnant again, but I had forgotten about that! My hubby played with them and it worked (:
Castor oil is not a good idea.  It will cause horrible cramps and bad diarrhea.  Then if, and I stress
nipple stimulations is NOT recommended unless under the supervision of a dr. It can cause VERY strong contractions. I wouldn't recommend it.

I also agree with Jjetty, you should not use castor oil.

She can ask her dr to induce her if she is this close to her due date. Some dr will induce, some won't. I suggest waiting it out OR asking her dr to induce her.

p.s. Sex is supposed to work because sperm contains prostaglandin, which is the gel that dr's use to ripen the cervix. :)
Don't use castor oil.
Can be very dangerous, and is also known to cause severe diarhhea, which can lead to dehydration.  Very dangerous for a pregnant woman.
I had one of friends recently do this and she only drank a teaspoon and she did start contracting but got scared because they were coming so quick, went to hospital. She didnt drank enough to push her all the way. Of course she didnt tell the dr what she did but she did pour out the rest of that castor oil when she got home. I wouldn't recommend dranking castor oil, plus it sounds like your drinking car oil, YUCK!
if not inducing, she can ask the doctor to strip her membranes...
I never tried castor oil, even when I had a stubborn one that was two weeks past due.

The only thing that has really worked for me was doing lots of walking, letting gravity itself help things along.  

I personally do not agree with inductions as a matter of convenience because of the stress it puts on the mother and baby.  I was induced with my stubborn child only after she was two weeks late and the doc said it was unsafe to continue until she decided she was ready to join the world.  As a result, I was born with a baby who was not breathing and extremely sedated as a result of the effects of the medications used for the induction.  That was enough for me! I haven't heard a lot of similar stories related to inductions, but I have heard many say it was worse than labor when nature was ready for it to happen.
As much as she wants to get the show on the road, castor oil is not a good idea.

Castor oil will give her very painful diarrhea.  We all know that intestinal cramps has nothing to do with uterine cramps.

You just need to have a lot of sex.  Sperm causes the cervix to react.
She did do the castor oil, she did not have painfull diareha, or however you spell it.  she did go into labor and as of 3:30 am she is 3 cm and 80 percent efaced.  If you let a doctor induce you that is not letting nature take it's course.....just to let you know, Maconium can happen to anyone.  It happened to me, I was a week over due.  When you you get there and they decide to keep you they push fluids and give a large cup of water, Highly doubt she will dehydrate.  Keep you all posted on her progress.
If you're going to argue with everyone's advice, then why did you even bother posting the question?
P.S.  If she didn't have diarrhea, then it was most likely a total coincidence that she went into labor.
Never heard of it helping labor. My Mamaw gave it to cat's for fur balls though. Let nature take it's course. Maybe it's not done. Leave it in the oven a little longer.
no she did have diarrhea, she thought it was gross, she said that her stomach was making funny noises and that there was some cramping but not severe like you made it out to be.  I am not aurguing, The reason I said that It is not letting nature take it's course is if you think about it if induce labor would that not be tricking your body to go into labor rather then it doing it on it's own, hence not letting nature take it's course, that sounded redundent to me.  Sorry I don't mean to offend any one.  I want to thank every one for there advice/experiences.  The jumping on the bed thing had me going all day long, I kept trying to imagine a pregnant women jumping on a bed.  It was takin to heart by my friend/room mate.  She desided to go with it.  Right before she started contracting, she did not think that it was going to work. Because it was four or five hours after she took it.  After she drank it she went for a long walk.  We live in Wisconsin and it has been cold for the last two weeks yesterday was nice and warm, what a good day it was for a walk.  She sent me a text about 10 minutes to 10 telling me that she started contracting bout a half hour prior and that in just the last ten minutes they were five minutes apart.  By the time I got home from work they were closer like three apart.  Her doc told her to wait another hour then go in.  We wait 30 min then headed up there and by the time we got there it was exactly one hour since she spoke to her doc.  Last I heard at 6:30 am she was dialated enough to have the epidural, and the doc was coming in to break her water.  It think having to run to the bathroom alot scares people, if you drink plenty of fluid I would imagine you should be in good shape.  I think labor pains be worse the intestinal crmping.  But I did through that So I don't know I would imagine it is simular to cramping before your mency.  THANK YOU ALL for your consideration and comments.  Kristine and Jackie
Im glad I didnt try any of this, especially castor oil.  If I would have most likely something would have happened to me or I could have lost the baby.  His cord was wrapped around his neck 3 times and my dr said that it was good that I decided to have a csection.  He said if I would have went into labor that my blood pressure could have shot up and something could have happened to me or my baby's blood pressure could have went down really low when the cord tightened up and he could have ended up dying, Especially if I wasnt already at the hospital.
She had a Girl....Natalie Ruth...7lb. 15oz. 20 1/2inches.  via C-section.  She hit 4cm and did not go anywhere and the babies heart beat kept droppin, also the baby was not down in the pelvis far enough......yeah she is beautiful.....Jackie is happy to be done being pregnant.