Cervical scarring
I was recently scheduled for a D&C because I have had unusual vaginal discharge ( I am post menopause)for several months with pain in that area.  Dr. said that he could not do it because the cervix was so scarred over that he could not safely open it.I have had an ultrasound of my uterus and I am waiting to speak to my doctor. What causes vaginal scarring? No injuries or operation on my cervix.Is scaring the same as dysplasia?
Cervical scarring does not necessarily mean vaginal scarring.  The cervix is the little opening at the end of the uterus, where it connects to the top of the vagina.  You would not have to have very extensive scarring in the general area to have a scarred cervix.

Scarring would not be the same as dysplasia.  It might happen as the result of a virus, bacteria, infection, illness or trauma.  Have you had children?  Ever been diagnosed with an STD, or gardnerella or bacterial vaginosis?  These things can give the cervix some scarring.  It's like if you had scarring of your nostril and the doctor told you he could not clean out your unusually runny nose in an operation because the nostril had too much scarring for him to open.  It doesn't necessarily indicate a relation between the two problems, or even a current issue (except that the nostril is blocked by scar tissue).  

All you can do is wait for the results of your ultrasound.  I hope that what you know so far is all that it is.