Child with ADHD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Child with ADHD

My son is 6 years old and was diagnosed last year with adhd and now my poor little guy has been on a roller coaster ride. He has severe mood swings, and tantrums. Now he is having night walking and night terrors. Normally it is just nightmares but last night he flipped out and was seeing invisible robots that were attacking him and monsters on the doorway he was crying and really scared i had to hold his eyes with my hands and held him the rest of the night...Does anyone know what I can do to help him. The dr put him on intuniv and now clonidine (which he is on this now only for about 2 weeks) IT was supposed to help for the nightmares. I dont know what to do please help. My poor baby has circles under his eyes.
My little brother was diagnosed with ADHD when he was about 5 years old he is now 14 and his nightmares have only gotten worse in the past year. It never really bothered him too bad in the beginning but his doc put him on a med called concerta and his nightmares have just doubled. My mom actually has to allow my brother to sleep with her some nights because of the nightmares and him seeing things at night. So really I don't think there really is a solution for any of this but possibly talk to his doc and discuss with his doc about possibly switching his meds and seeing if that makes his nightmares go away. Hope everything goes well
I know this may sound strange but...
Does your son still have his tonsils and adenoids (adenoids)?  Many parents of ADHD kids have found that by having their child's tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) removed, their child's ADHD symptoms decreased significantly.  Some of them, when tested a year after surgery, were no longer considered to have ADHD.

I have a 3 1/2 year old who was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD in June of last year.  After seeing info on the tonsil and adenoid thing and my husband having sleep apnea, I decided to have my son examined by an ENT.  Based on the snoring my son would sometimes have, the fact that he breaths through his mouth most of the time, etc., she said that he was a classic case for having his tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) out.  We had them removed a week later.

I don't think that having them removed has helped with the ODD at all BUT...I think it has definitely helped with the ADHD.  My son is no longer always tired and hyper at the same time.

It may be a long shot for you but, I am sure glad I checked into this.  See if you can get a referral to an ENT and ask if he would be a candidate for having his tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) removed.
i dont know a lot about the stuff at night but i remember when i was younger, my cousin had ADHD and my aunt had him on medication but it was really bad. she said it was like having him do speed cuz he didnt eat sleep or grow. he was like a druged zombie.she took him off his pills and took him to a nutritionist, watched what he was eating and gave  him natural supplements to help. she noticed that certain foods would trigger bad behavior and other would help calm him. he did better off the pills. good luck i hope this helps and i hope he gets better!
des84 is right that diet can be a factor also.  Some of the common things that can help are taking them off of anything that has red dye in it and also going on a gluten-free, cassein-free (GFCF) diet can help some ADHD patients.
i feel so bad for all you parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i think your best bet is to get a second opinion, a GOOD Dr will not diagnose a child with ADD/ ADHD along with other mental illnesses til they have reached to age of 7yrs. most kids are hyper and do not listen to parents, and throw tantrums under the age of 7... my sister trusted her sons dr and started pumping the kid with all sorts of meds by 5 he had been diagnosed with ADD, ODD, ADHD, TURRETS  And more... to make a long story short the kid had been on beds since he was 5 til he was 17 when finally a GOOD Dr told my sister about how GOOD Dr do not diagnose kids that young off and  guess what........... they finally CORRECTLY diagnosed him with schizophrenia he could have saved himself  a lot of pain, and trouble if his mom would of gotten a 2nd opinion if you read the drugs some of them make things worse for the poor kids
my son also has adhd odd and ptsd he is on risperdol vvyanse clondine and zoloft he learned to out grow the clondine and also has circles under eyes