Chronic Vaginosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Chronic Vaginosis

I have had chronic vaginosis for 9 months.  I have used metrogel, cleocin, boric acid, doxycyline with no success.  Flagyl seemed to work after 2 week courses at first but the infection would return within a week.  Now it doesn't seem to cure it although it does improve. I don't use soaps in the vaginal area or douche.  I only wear cotton underwear. I am 34 and had a complete hysterectomy at 30.  I use estrogen, progesterone and testosterone.  I am at my wits end and am desperate for a cure.  Any information will be greatly appreciated!
I've had this problem too for a year, i'd use creams and as soon as I'm done with the medicine it's back again, i've been to the doctor on seversl occassions about this and they say every womans anatomy is different and this could be normal for you, and send me home with flagyl. Through my own research and findings I learned that I've had this so many times that sometimes I'd get a yeast infection and misdiagnose myself with BV. If you have an underlying yeast infection and don't know it, the BV will never go away, until you cure the yeast. Basically the yeast can cause the BV and having BV for a period of time can bring on the yeast. My suggestion to you is to get checked for yeast and then treat the BV. Also have you a had any surgeries, recently?
I appreciate your comments.  I had my gall bladder removed in August 2004 and a vestibulectomy in Feb 2004.  I have been to the doctor numerous times in the last 9 months to verify if it is BV or yeast.  I always have BV and sometimes have yeast with it.  I can not tolerate any over the counter creams for either.  It is not unusual for me to be on Diflucan and Flaygl at the same time. I have had ph levels checked and they were normal even though I had a BV at the time. I know that hormone imbalnces also lead to infections.  It just seems to be a cycle I can't get out of.
you could be resistant to all the meds.
And where does that leave me?  How do I get rid of it?
Before you can get rid of it you need to find out whats causing it. I can't tell you whats causing it, but i'm sure there is something behind it all that only a doctor can evaluate..Good luck with it, it took me to get pregnant before it went away.
I have had BV for nearly 4 years. I am 24 and EXTREMELY frustrated. I have been treated with flagyl 2grams twice this month. I've been treated probably close to 20 times by flagyl. I live in Canada, so getting in to see a specialized doctor is a big ordeal. I finally got a referal to a gynie, so it'll likely be 6 months until I get in.
I talked with one doctor recently who suggested I go on Alesse or a low hormone birth control to try to change the hormonal conent of my body and subsequently the pH intravaginally.
I do have a hormonal imbalance, as my prolactin is high, which I am wondering if it has to do with my BV.
I've tried boric acid, vinegar, epsom salts, and pretty well anything under the sun that I can think of that might change the pH, to no avail.
I am at my wit's end and don't really want to sit idle waiting for PID to set in, so I'm going to seek Chinese medicine shortly in hopes of curing or managing my chronic, frustrating condition. Has anyone ever sought alternate therapy for BV?
I am going through the same thing!  I just read that bv can cause pid freaking out! I to have tried it all and it always comes back, I dont really have any symptoms, Im just @ the gyno for other issues and they tell me i have it!  I am going to try acuputure , I pray!
Micky05 I'm glad your symptoms went away when you got pregnant i am currently 41/2 month pregnant and yet again back on the flagyl cycle this is very annoying and embarrassing because if i can smell myself i know others can to.... I really wish doctors would stop writing off this as an improper pH balance and do some research because appearently this is recurring problem for many women.... sometimes I think maybe it may be an sti?
i know that this is gonna sound kinda weird but i too get bv often and so does my friend and she said to refrain from RECEIVING oral sex! she said she was getting them every month then once she stopped getting oral sex they went away and havent been back since. really ***** because i love oral and it is very hard for me not to get it...i dont know but i would say to give it a try ladies..
ive had BV, chronic yeast & UTI's for 9+ years..on n off...the last few have been the worst...after being humilated by a doc..i decided to 1) stop using TIDE w/Downy(or any scented detergent!) 2)stopped using drier sheets.. 3)washing all my underwear,towels, bed sheets, pj's,pants, shorts,etc in hot water using DREFT or ALL (the baby one-white bottle) NO DRIER SHEETS and dry high heat on ANYTHING that i wear below or that comes in contact with it!!  I also use the DOVE or CVS brand unscented, sensitive soap...(white & soft greenbox) After 1 month..COMPLETELY GONE!!! and its been this way since March!!   i swear to god girls! my emails ***@**** if u have any questions!!!!  
i dont know why my email didnt show up..iwill check this back in a week....!!
FEM-DOPHILUS by Jarrow... I was getting bv over and over and my doc had no idea what she was talking about. I took the flagyl for the last time 2 week ago (which usually works for a couple days) but this time I started taking fem-dophilus right after the flagyl.... once per day. So far so good. It can be found at places like vitamin world or nutrition depot... just call ahead and ask if they have it. It needs to be refrigerated so the store has to have a refregerator there to keep it. Hope this helps!! Also, if you are having sex its good to wash up immediately after. I have not tried this yet but for those of you who get it after periods try to use Rephresh (found at cvs etc) right after its finished. I'm not sure yet if this will help or hurt but its an idea I have not tried yet... Good luck all love, Lisa