Cold symptoms during period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 201-231 comments:
oh my. i happen to have the exact same problem as you. is there any particular reason to what i'm going through right now? do you happen to find the solution yet?
POSSIBLE ANSWER

Dormant Virus + Weakened Immune System = Flu like symptoms prior to menstruation

1. DORMANT VIRUSES - Its unlikely that every month you are being exposed to a virus causing the same symptoms.  Instead it is much more likely that your body is harboring a dormant virus that activates when your immune system is weakened.  There are two types of viruses that like to stay dormant in your system and can be responsible for the cold/flu like symptoms everyone is describing.  
- Adenovirus - these can cause anything from cold/flu like symptoms to conjunctivitis and diarrhea
- Herpevirus - Epstein-Barr and Cytomegalovirus are both members of this family and are the cause of Mononucleosis (Mono or known as Glandular Fever in the UK)  
Most people develop adaptive immunity to the herpes viruses however a small percentage of the population don't.  My doctor in the US said it is around 2%.  

2. WEAKENED IMMUNE SYSTEM - Its already been established that the immune system is weaker just prior to the start of menstruation but since not all women get these symptoms, even those who have contracted the above infections, it stands to reason there are additional factors involved that contribute to a sufficient drop in immune response to cause the monthly symptoms.  
- HORMONE IMBALANCE - as touched on before if your estrogen/progesterone levels are not what they should be then this may contribute to a significantly weaker immune system allowing the dormant virus to become active.  This can be a post-pregnancy/breastfeeding issue as your body seeks to re-establish normal hormone levels or can occur when coming off of birth control.  Weakened immune system can also be caused by a hormone imbalance due to hypothyroidism which is more likely the case if you are experiencing hair loss and brittle fingernails.  
- ALLERGY/INTOLERANCES - A second factor which is much more common than most people think is a food based allergy or intolerance that weakens the overall immune system response.  Interestingly conditions like gluten or dairy intolerance can contribute to hormone imbalance so in some cases reason 1 is caused by reason 2 which can also cause irregular cycles and in some individuals a history of repeated miscarriage.  An inability to absorb key nutrients caused by the intolerance can also contribute to the intense cramping and neck and back pain that some of you are experiencing as it affects how the muscles in the body work.  While blood tests can show up allergies and some intolerance there is a section of the population who are genuinely intolerant of certain foods but get a negative response on the blood tests.

Continued in next post....
Continued from previous post...

TREATMENT-
VIRAL INFECTION - The only pharmacological treatment is anti-virals which are only prescribed in extreme cases such as swine flu or viral infection in patients with severely compromised immune systems by conditions like HIV so the chances of getting something from your doctor are slim to none.  If you are interested in herbal remedies there are quite a few herbs that have antiviral properties such as garlic and echinacea.  A quick google search will give you all the info you need however if you have an immune system weakened by a contributing condition this will simply be treating a symptom while not dealing with the root cause.

HORMONE IMBALANCE - This is something you can ask your doctor to test for both thyroid imbalance and progesterone/estrogen imbalance.  These blood tests need to be performed at a certain time in your cycle which your doctor will advise.  If an an imbalance is found then their are both prescription and herbal treatments for these imbalances.  Prescription drugs will alter your hormone balance but will not cure the root cause since as soon as you stop taking them the condition will return.  Herbal remedies can help your body restore balance and be discontinued slowly once the body has healed however as with the viral infection if your hormone imbalance is being caused by a food intolerance the symptoms will continue as soon as treatment is stopped.

FOOD INTOLERANCE - This is something your doctor can run a full panel for both food allergies and intolerance conditions like Celiac Disease.  You would need to specifically request the Celiac test as it is not always done as a standard part of an allergy screening.  However some individuals will come back clear on the test and yet still be intolerant.  The most effective and inexpensive way to determine if you have an intolerance is to do an elimination diet which removes all high allergy foods from your diet for a period of time to see if your symptoms improve.  There are various elimination diets out there but the base premise will be to remove from your diet for a minimum of a month all
Dairy products such as milk, cheese, yogurt,
Eggs
Grains such as corn, wheat, rye, oats, barley,
Citrus Fruit such as oranges, grapefruit,
Legumes such as beans and peanuts,
Nightshade such as tomato, peppers and white potato
Nuts

I know it sounds terribly restrictive but remember it is only for a month then one by one you can start adding foods back in with a week's gap in between until you find what you react to and believe me the reaction will be much more noticeable as your body will have had time to heal and your immune response will be much stronger.  

If its just too much to do the above diet then try targeting the three most common causes of weakened immune system and hormone imbalance which are gluten, eggs and dairy.  For the diet to work you MUST NOT CHEAT and you need to do your research as these food hide in a lot of what we eat and under different names.  A google search on the various diets will turn up a list of what you need to avoid.  The first week will be the worse and you will feel your worst but don't give up week 2 is when you start to see improvements.  You will also want to add a high potency vitamin supplement and iron supplements in while you are doing this to help your body get all that it needs nutritionally just make sure the supplement is gluten fee :)

Often an egg or dairy intolerance or many other food allergies can be a secondary symptom to gluten intolerance.  Gluten intolerance is when the body attacks the lining of the intestines when gluten is present damaging the villi that absorb the nutrients in the food.  The symptoms experienced are caused by the damage to the intestine and the subsequent nutrient deficiency as well as leaky gut syndrome which is responsible for the secondary allergies as food molecules are able to leak through the intestinal lining and into the blood stream without being fully broken down which then triggers an allergic response.  In more severe cases it is often misdiagnosed as Chronic Fatigue Syndrom (syndrome) or Fibromyalgia and in less severe cases can cause the hormone imbalances, weakened immune response, neck and back pain I listed above as well as a rounded/bloated belly no matter what your weight (I was a gymnast and very slender but always had a poochy stomach no matter how many sit-ups I did before going gluten free)  BTW the bloating will be one of the first things to go usually by the end of the first week along with lower back pain which is caused by pressure being put on the nerves in the low back by the bloated intestines.  You will be able to find recipe and menu suggestions if you do a search for either elimination diet or gluten/dairy free diet.  

I'm sorry the post was so long but hope it will help some of you.  My son's doctor from Great Ormond Street in London says that he suspects 1 in 5 are gluten intolerant with only a small percentage ever being diagnosed.  It can be a hereditary issue so if you find yourself responding to the gluten free diet you may want to think about your parents, siblings, and aunts/uncles and cousins.  If any of them seem to have chronic health problems it is worth mentioning to them as it might help.  My maternal aunt's fibromyalgia turned out to be Celiac's disease (gluten intolerance).
Good luck to all of you in finding your cure.  If you try the elimination diet and find it helps then please post back here so others can read of your success and gain courage to try the same path.  It can be difficult missing out on those foods but believe me the overall improvement in health is more than worth it.

Good Luck,
Mel
Hi, I'm 25 and I have just started having issues with allergies during my period. I wake up with a bad sinus drip in the back of my throat - then later that same day, my period starts. This has been the norm since November 2011. The allergies turn into coughing and congestion for the duration of my period and linger after for a while.
My doctor prescribed nasal spray, but after about a month or two, it caused nose bleeds, so I discontinued. I saw an allergist yesterday - but all that was done was a skin test to identify the common household things I may be allergic to. He seemed to have not heard of my problem before.
I'm scheduled to see my MD in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if I should ask her to test my blood for anything specific? To me, this is obviously hormonal - as nothing has changed in my behavior, eating, or medications. It almost seems to be auto-immune.
Since this has only been happening for a few months - I would like to find out what's wrong and get it fixed - as it's miserable and tiring to live like this every single month.
Hi Gee!! its soooo good to find other women going through similar problems, they need to find a cure. I'm the same, exactly every 3rd day without fail, during my period, i have the worst headaches, whether their mini migraines or harsh sinus headaches, but which ever it is, its one bad headache every 3rd day without fail. Then feel like i'm getting the flu like symptoms towards the middle to end of my period, come the 3rd, 4th day & just want to sleep all day & sometimes a sudden weakness over my body, especially if i'm out some were, just get suddenly really weak feeling & constantly tired that whole week & my lower back hurts & my stomach is like one BIG balloon (hate it). Also every 3rd day without fail, during my period i get the worst toilet pains & sometimes feel nausea, why is this???. i take neurofen for my pain, but not always works, but its the only thing i know at the moment that helps with my stomach pains come the first & second day, when the period pain is painful & for my headaches every 3rd day of my period.
I too, have been having this same problem with getting sick before, during, or after my period. Something HAS to be done to stop this issue. I can't function properly because of this. This has been going on since my car acciedent in 2009. Before that, I had no problems getting sick every month. I have a family & a job to take care of. I can't keep calling out of work because of this problem.
I'm 29 and I've noticed this for years.  I, however, have never been on birth control, so I can't link it to that.  Doesn't rule out crazy hormones, though!

It doesn't happen every month for me, but any colds I've had for the past several years have ALL started right before or during my period.  I always chalked it up to a weakened immune system, but maybe there is more to this, as the popularity of this board suggests.  

Isn't it amazing how easily some physicians brush off a patient's symptoms?  People overreact to a lot and can tend to be uptight about their health, but at the end of the day, the patient is the one who knows their body best, and they should be listened to.

Tara
This forum has essentially given me a sense of relief. I have been a victim of this "unknown" issue for years, probably since i was 18/19. I have seen so many doctors and no one can seem to pin point the issue.

Yesterday I just went to my primary care physician and we're getting a move on this issue. I currently live in Maine, but I'm being referred to Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA in hopes of meeting a specialist about my issue. I have had 8 sinus infections in the last two and a half  years, and like clock work they have been either right before or during my period.

I am 28 and have only been on birth control for a few years, so this has been an issue for me with and without birth control. I would constantly have a sinus infection, sore throat, hot flashes, major headaches and just sort of feeling loopy. It's to the point where my friends and family know I'm getting ready to start my period because I'm sick all of the time.

I'm hoping to head to Burlington, MA within the next few weeks for a consultation with someone to see what is going on with this weird association between these sinus infections and my period. If and when I find out the real logical and medical issue with my health, I will be sure to post something for everyone. Lahey clinic has some of the best doctors and specialists in the US so I believe i'll be in good hands, and have someone who listens to what I'm saying. I too had been told it was all in my head, but I refuse to believe it and finally I'm working with a doctor who will supports and believes that I have this strange issue.

Stay tuned ladies (and gentlemen) as I think there is light at the end of the tunnel and awareness needs to be promoted about this condition regardless as to if it has a name or not!
I am very glad to have found this site; however, our situations is a little different and I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on it.  My daughter gets sick every month and it lasts approximately one week every time.  She gets sick practically the same time of the month every time and the symptoms are always stuffy nose, runny nose, cough and some times throwing up and fever.  My problem is she is only 8 and hasn't started her period yet.  I have been tracking this for at least 3 years with detailed notes and it never fails.  She always comes down with a "cold" the same time and no one else in our family catches it.  Any ideas??  Could it still be hormonal, if she hasn't started her period??
I have also been catching a cold every month..  And they are getting worse. This is the second or third month where my energy is so low all I want to do is rest for two or three days.  And I,  like everyone else have to many things I would like to do!  Life is too short to be sick.  So I am so very relieved to  find this forum.  When all of us speak up in unison and we all seek solutions help will surely be forth coming.

Because of the timing of the colds I have come to the conclusion that it must be because of the imbalance of hormones, that either I am vulnerable to viruses or perhaps food allergies, or even something else.  But the root of the problem is the hormonal imbalance.  Therefore I sought out sites that could possibly address this, in as natural a way as possible. What I found was the Fat Flush Plan by Ann Louise Gittleman, M.S., C.N.S.  The diet seems to heal many health issues in addition to hormonal imbalances.  But the part that has my attention is the bit that describes how the estrogen levels could be  very high due to the environment and diet.  Its very scientific, way to much for me to go into.  But it makes sense to me.  I have lived a relatively healthy lifestyle , but a new job is causing additional stress, and less time to eat as healthy as I used to, or even exercise as much as I used to.  So perhaps this is the catalyst  of this horrible downward spiral that I feel that I am on.  So I am going to try it. ( the diet I mean.)  So I will flush out my liver, (an incredible organ I have learned) and hopefully balance the estrogen with the progesterone and keep you all posted.  Good luck to you all.
Good Girl Mel,
My sisters, I have been suffering with this for 20 years and discovered the only natural way to abate it is through Chastenberry Extract (**** quai, etc.) Chinese herbs that neutralize your hormones.  Hormone irregularity causes the histamines in your body to pique thus causing allergy like symptoms, headaches, sneezing, flu like symptoms.  Get on a healthy diet, oatmeal, fruits, no sugar or wheat if you can help it.  Lots and LOTS of WATER.  Juicing is also wonderful.  Iron supplements and B12.  I must have spent $20,000 on Dr.'s and Naturopath's to find the answers but I had to become my own advocate and educate myself.  Try Gaia Chasetenberry Extract.  Two to Three droppers and I am feeling great!  Love to you all.  Tonia
Oh my I thought I was going crazy. I glad I'm not the ply one.  I couldn't figure out why I was feeling so bad, achy, tired,headache, and then I realized it has been happening for the last 6-8 months during my menstral cycle.  I'm going to the doctor and find out how to fix  this... I have a really good dr. I am so done... It seems like I never feel right.   I'm sure I I hormonal. I hope we can all find some   answers.  I was also thinking that it might have to do with wearing tampons (maybe a light toxic shock...idk) so I'm not going to wear any until I see the doc and see what happens.  
Same symptoms, same frustration and no answers :(. has anyone found a doctor who specializes in this? or that at least believed you and was willing to look for a cure? Has anyone tried DR. Ruby's clinic in Austin, TX?

Thanks!
Ladies, i've had the same problem. I exercise and take vitamins daily, and nothing helped, i still got cold every month before periods!  And recently i realized that i have an ALLERGY on MOLD. Sometimes plants can get mold too. when i removed a plant from my bedroom i felt so much better! So it means,i always got these cold-like symptoms because of my allergy! Sometimes you can be allergic to carpets in your bedroom too! So try to test yourself for allergies and after remove it all from your apartment! Hope this can help, wish you all good luck!
Here is the website proving my words: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/sexual-health/cold-before-period
I have this same problem. I don't think age has to do with it because I am only 17. I too get a cold with sore throat, coughing, and runny nose. I think it has to do with our bodies flushing things out. Also our immune systems must be lowered so we are more susceptible to catching a bug. But honestly I have no idea. I don't think it is genetic because my mum doesn't get it either.
Hi Ladies, like many of you I have found your comments through frustration and trying to do some of my own research. I am from Scotland, UK, 31yrs old and have been on the pill since 15yrs, I take antihistamines daily and over this last few years my menstrual issues are getting worse, only this last year or so I have noticed I am getting many of the same cold/sinus/headache symptoms as you as well as exhaustion, apathy and emotional difficulties. Like many of you have been told I don't look after myself or it is just coincidence!! I can't believe that it is a contraception thing as some folks aren't using any or have been on it for many years and only recently noticing issues. There are people taking antihistamines regularly which rules out some of the allergy issues...what on earth is going on here?! No-one seems to have an answer but it is clearly a problem that many of us are struggling with from the younger to older age scales!! There has to be more to this....good luck and love to you all xx
I really feel for everyone here, i've been going through the same thing for years. I'm 35 years old, and only get  about 1 week every month where i feel somewhat normal. Once i get to day 11/12 all my problems begin.... 1st i have a week where i have severe back/pelvic pressure/ pain, like i need to have a bowel movement all the time, its so uncomfortable. Then it just seems to disappear . Next is the ears and glands that start niggling. Then my moods go crazy & i start spotting/brown dirt for about 6-7 days before my periods are due, along with the flu like symptoms, throat, glands, head,ears and swollen tummy (look 5 months pregnant), and my sleep pattern changes.  Aprrox 2-3 days before my period i have no appetite and feel like i could throw up at any stage. The day before i get my period the flu like symptoms get much worse, they go right down into my chest and i end up on antibiotics most months but still getting no answers. Really feel like i can't keep going like this....the only thing that shows up in my bloods is my ESR rate is  28 which is high. Hormones have a lot to answer for.............. i need answers and help......PLEASE>>>
This used to happen to me a lot in my early 20's. I am almost 30 now and it's happening again. I feel flu like symptoms. Sore throat, sinus pressure, extra tired & blah feeling. I know it's not my birth control because I wasn't taking BC in my early 20's. I did stop taking my vitamins this month tho because I couldn't afford them. My only thought is it could be something our body is lacking from the blood loss. We loose minerals during our period. I am going to try a mineral supplement when I can. For now it's emergen-C & tons of rest & water. I hope you ladies feel better. Ciao
I've spent over$2000 going to my family doctor, an immunologist and an ENT. They told me I have asthma(all of a sudden, after 30), and I have allergies to dust and mold. I tried all the major brands and the last one he put me on I gave up on. It always seems I get sinus issues, ear pain and headaches a few days or a week before my period and within 24 hrs of starting, the sickness stops or seriously subsides. I don't get it and I've genuinely tried to find a problem. Bloodwork and immune system is top notch. So if any of you ladies find a cure, share please.
I am in my mid 40's and I have had the same "hormonal flu" since my late 30's.  I also noticed it seemed to get worse after stopping BC pills, but thought it was probaby a coincidence. Now that I see how many others say the same thing I don't feel so alone or 'crazy'.  
I to have suffered from this for 10-15 years.  It always starts on the first day of my period and feels exactly the same every time.  I'd say it happens 8 times a year.  None of my docs have ever heard of it.  Interestingly, I went into heart failure two years ago and it stopped!  I had no sinus infections for two whole years!  Unfortunately, it is back as of this week. : (.  My heart has been healing and is much stronger, but I feel miserable!  

Anyway, I thought the whole heart thing might be a clue...
Hello ! I'm 17 years old and I have gotten the same symptoms. This is the first period I've really noticed this though, other times my cold were not this severe. I know that it was caused by my period because I started having cold symptoms a few hours later. I was fine the day before and felt perfectly normal. Now I am suffering from a runny nose, sore throat, watery eyes, discomfort, headaches, and fatigue. My periods have been quite abnormal though ( I normally get mine every other day ) Also my last month, I had my period for more than 2 week and it was a weird color. I don't know what's wrong with me! I need to be in perfect health for my high school classes and ACT test :(
Hello all, I am 47 and I have had similar issues for the last 5-7 years or so on and off. I became aware of the connection between my sinus/allergy issues and my period  when I seemed to have sinus headaches and menstrual cramps at the same time. I thought it was just a weird coincidence. In the last few years I have had other issues such as a nervous jimmy leg, the feeling of bugs crawling over me which all happened right before my period. There have been even more symptoms of my mysterious condition - many I can’t remember at this moment but online research confirms my suspicions of hormonal imbalance which I have suffered on and off since I was about 20. My periods have been horrible.

I have tried many things - all natural but what worked best for me is Vitex, also known as chaste berry. It balances your hormones naturally.  Doctors are quick to recommend more hormones, even natural hormones  which I am weary of especially since they are not necessary. In addition to that I have greatly reduced the plastic in my life because they are endocrine disrupters.  One more thing that the general public is not aware of is the use of BPA (another endocrine disrupter) in store receipts. I know that it is something that we cannot completely avoid but we can lower our exposure by not handling them any more than necessary. Unless it is a major purchase, I say that I don’t need a receipt.  To reduce the amount of estrogen you can try DIM. It is also natural - derived from cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower.

Lastly, please don’t give up finding the answer so that you can improve the quality of your life. Reduce processed foods, foods that contain MSG and large amounts of soy which is full of hormones and eat as much fresh fruit and vegetables that you can. A healthy diet does make you feel better.
Im not alone. Im 35 and for about 2yrs now my body tells me when my period is about to come on. It gives me like a 2 weeks notice, I get real tired my body aches and i get flu like systems, coughing,body aching im litteraly stuck in the bed for the first day, chills, hot flashes headaches. The crazy part is that once my period goes off my systems go away. Please I need some help on how I can resolve this problem
bh3
For the last two years starting into my third year I get a cold every month starting with a sore throat going onto a full blown cold.  I got very tired of it I said it to three doctors and they all said there was nothing they could do I would just have to live with it.  I went to my chemist and he told me a story about somebody he knew that this used to happen to and they figured out she had an allergy to cats and when they got rid of the cats the colds went away.  I have two cats but I will not give them away so my chemist said to try flixonase anti allergy spray and for the last two months I have had no cold with my period I am so happy about this.  This may help somebody else.
I have had the same problem for over two years I get a cold every time I get my period starting with a sore throat and developing into a full cold.  I'm just getting over one cold when I get another one.  I have talked to about three doctors and they all say you just have to live with it..  I mentioned it to my chemist and he told me a story about somebody he knew who this happened to.  They figured out she had an allergy to cats and when the cats were removed this stopped happening.  The chemist recommended I try flixonase anti allergy spray and for the last two months I have had no cold I hope this helps somebody because it has made a bit difference to my life
Wow.  I have had the same symptoms for about 3 years.  I get unexplained night sweats, and a cold-flu with every period.  It was so bad I started taking the birth control seasonal- so I only have a period every other month.  But still I get a cold-flu every time!  I do know I have had severe anemia in the past.  So, I am thinking as soon as I get over this round of cold/menses I am going to have a serious talk with my Dr. There has to be a better way.  I think I am going to start with getting my anemia checked.  I do know I have microcytic anemia - my blood cells are smaller than normal.  The last period to this one was so bad, I got hives, and my joints locked up - the Dr. thought I may have RA because of the sudden onset.  But I tested negative for that.  I am convinced, especially with reading these posts that we all have something going on!
Look up hormone allergy this my be the problem
Ahh thank you ladies - I also have this happen to me for the last year. I'm 33 years old and I'm a singer so it's very stressful. It started happening to me after a burn out at the beginning of the year where I had tinnitus and no energy. (february 2012) After building my system up with vitamins, no coffee, rest - the tinnitus went away and by april I was still relatively low on energy but I went away overnight for work.

I had to get up very early to travel and no doubt I was exhausted. That night I was feeling a bit under the weather so ate a big steak for dinner - during the night got a horrendous cold, I couldn't sleep, runny nose, headache - felt terrible. The next day I got my period.

I noted in the months following (may, june) - i also got colds with symptoms starting 10 days before I would menstruate, which is also when I tend to feel slight pmt. I went to a kinesiologist/homeopath who suggested I don't eat red meat in the 2nd two weeks of my cycle. I am a type A blood type and if you believe in the blood type diet - red meat isn't supposed to be good for A's. Not sure if I do believe in the whole diet but I did notice when I cut out red meat, also took drops she prescribed me - I did not get the cold/allergy symptoms.

I am also allergic to wheat and I notice the symptoms I get prior to period are very similar to what happens if I eat wheat. I don't get a sore throat as such but my glands swell up to the point it feeels like my throat is inflamed - and i get mucous all over the vocal chords and I can't speak/sing. My ears are blocked, head cold feeling - but no sore throat. Just loads of mucous.

After a few months I actually forgot about the red meat thing and again in November while travelling I had the cold symptoms. Then in December no symptoms. But I'm writing today because now January 2013 I have them again and today I can hardly speak. I'm ten days out. I checked back in my calendar and I definitely ate meat near my period in November, not in December and this month I have been eating meat. So for me I really think these symptoms are more a kind of allergic reaction than an actual immune system drop and getting an actual cold. I am healthy and fit now. But the cold symptoms seem to come out of nowhere and like clockwork ten days before my period.

I think if you investigate possible sources of allergies in your diet/environment you'll have a much better chance of stopping the cold.

My mum - who is a nurse - mentioned today when I remembered the red meat thing - that if I am allergic when the immune system drops (prior to period) the body will be overloaded with histamines regarding any allergies and that causes all the mucous. I'm going to cut out red meat and dairy over the next months and see how I go - I think food allergies account for a huge amount of our ailments in modern life. Will report back when i know more.

Good luck everyone!
I am so excited that I found this site.....other women who has same problem as myslef. I have been cold (sneezing, coughing, mucus, cold, headache) since last June that almost lead asthma which I never had. I could not figure it out until I came to this site.
I do know that it was do with immune system, and i get this cold juz before my period..i waste 3-5 days being sick and un productive.
Few months ago, i had major hair lost and i did not pay much attention. As I started to read, i am realized it has to do with immune system.
The months when I do regular (2-3 times a week)  green juicing (Kale, cucumber, spinach, lime, ginger, carrrot) , i do not seem to get cold.  
my period is normal.
Diet seem to key too. last 2 days i have been eating more carb meals, then cold came back. I have not been juicing.
I am going try low carb and juicing aleast 5 days a wk and see how this diet goes.
Will update.

Want to be me again  

Hi all,

Since September 2012 I have been experiencing the same symptoms. My baby started to go to daycare and he now brings all the germs home and right before I get my period, if he happens to be sick at that time, I catch it from him.

I started to take some immune booster pills which I got from Amazon last month, but that didn't make any difference and I got sick with the same monthly flu on 3/15 and have been having all the symptoms for about two weeks now.

Since September, almost every month, I get a Z pack from my doctor (Azithromycin antibiotic) but this time, it didn't even help.

Yesterday I went to see a different family doctor and she said it could be allergy and she told me to start taking OTC Claritin 10 mg and nasal spray two weeks before I get my period and see if that helps. She said the phlegm color (yellow and bloody) could also be an indication of an allergy problem.But I think since my body's immune system is at its weakest before and during the period, then when I am around a sick person or germs, I will catch it easier so the answer could be that we have to do something about our immune system.

I work out everyday and eat Lean Cuisine for lunch everyday and take all sorts of vitamins on a daily basis but I still get sick since I put my kid into a daycare.

I would really appreciate it if someone could please help me find a cure for this problem.
In 2012 I got sick on the first day of my cycle, with whatever was going around, twice the flu, other times a cold that would last a full week and wipe me out.  After being sick 8 out of 10 cycles I started doing some research.  I found this site and it was great to feel not alone.  Somewhere someone suggested progesterone.  I started taking 100mg progesterone in a gelatin/troche form. (It's like a fruit snack consistency that you let disolve under your tounge).  I take it every day and I have not gotten sick with my cycle since.  It's been about 6 months now.  I have cut back to 50mg a day now.  Also, there is only one pharmacy around that makes the troches, but my Dr knew where they made them.  And my dr prescribed it for me but I honestly don't think he believed me that my symptoms coinsided with my cycle.  But I was tested specifially for that and I was low in progesterone. Don't know if this will help anyone, but I hope it does.  This year has been SO different than last year.  
Yes this has happened to me for the last few years. Instead of cramps I get real bad cold symptoms a week before my cycle. This time around it is lasting a lot longer and has spread. First 2 days I had a stuffy nose. Then I had a real bad sore throat. So bad I went to the doctor to get tested for strep throat. Test came back negative and was told I just had a viral infection and to take NyQuil, Tylenol , Motrin or nasal sprays. No antibiotics just over the counter meds. Well that was 5 days ago and the symptoms have gotten worse. Now I have a stiff neck (past 2 days), earache, and swollen glands in the throat area. Sleep has been horrible waking every few hours and I've been doped on meds. It's like when one area is back to normal another area checks out. I need answers!
I always get a stuffy head, drippy nose, etc. beginning a few days before my period.  Several years ago, I noticed it would morph into a sinus infection regularly.  I went to my regular MD to get treated for a sinus infection, it would clear up, then the next month the cycle would start over.  I went to a Chinese herbalist and she asked if I had noticed if it was related to my monthly cycle.  Prior to that I hadn't noticed but watched for this for a couple of months.  It was related to my cycle.  She had me take something called "Five Gentlemen" (or something like that) and after I was on that I had no more period-related colds or sinus problems.  Unfortunately we moved away from that city and I had a hard time getting the herbs.  My symptoms have come back.  Thanks for the tip on the herbs you take.  I will try them!
What happened to all the folks who were going to go to their docs and report on results?? I also have recently started noticing sinus/cold/flu symptoms a few days before my period. I'm prone to respiratory infections anyways so it usually drains into my chest and I get pneumonia, then require antibiotics. I have nodules on my thyroid that the ENT won't biopsy yet claiming they're not big enough and have a history of thyroid issues and female cancers so I'm really leaning towards hormone issues. Going to see my doc in a few days since this bout has been particularly bad. Anyone with any updates??
I'm a vegan and never had these symptoms of freezing to death during pms until I did so. I use very little refined sugar and eat tons of tofu and drink soy milk, and lots of veggies and fruit. I know my thyroid is under control as I just had it tested. I have fibromyalgia too but the cold with pms is painful! Seeing the doc in two days. This suuuuucks!
Mel how do you know all this? Do you have medical training or is this knowledge from your own experience?
I'm 45 and started recently to show signs of illness-reactions just 2 days prior to my menstrual cycle. I get flu-like symptoms, aches, pain, lethargy, stomach upsets, cramps, nausea, a whole host of symptoms... which last from 2-4 days.
I've recently been medically diagnosed with a confirmed blood test to have contracted HSV2, and I already have incredibly unpredictable, constant bouts of Shingles, every 2 months on average.
Blood tests come back "normal" when I seek help to identify what's wrong, thyroid, FBE, etc.
A friend told me that I need to be tested for Gluten Intolerance... and from I've read in your post, Sheesh... I have to start to wonder...
I have otherwise been a very healthy, very health conscious vegetarian for 20yrs with only occasional issues of low iron levels.
In the last 4yrs I have been sick with just about every symptom under the sun, as mentioned above and just cannot seem to pick myself up even enduring a bout of Pneumonia last year...
I might find it tough to do a full elimation diet as a vegetarian, so I might try a food sensitivity test.
Thanks for an interesting post, gave me a lot to think about.
So happy I found this forum!!!!

I too have been experiencing flu like symptoms a 2-3 day before my cycle
(for over a year).  I am interested in knowing if anyone was able to get a diagnosis from any of their medical doctors and if there is some form of treatment.   I myself have tried a lot of things between changing eating habits, taking vitamin's and other supplements.   Some months are much worse than others.  This month I feel as if I have the severe flu and was totally down and out in bed for a full day.    Which is bad ... cuz I never stay in bed ....    Any help or advice would be so very appreciated .  Thank you and god bless all of you.   :0)
OMG me too! I was hoping there would be an answer. Glad to know I'm not alone though.
Thanks Mel,

This is a great informative post. I am an Osteopath & Naturopath and have found many patients in chronic pain and chronic inflammatory states have such food intolerances that go undiagnosed. I often give this kind of protocol to my patients along with a supportive nutrient suppliment to help them through an elimination diet. We usually discuss that the worst that can happen from going through this kind of diet is that your symptoms don't change but you loose weight! With that most people want to try it. However, many times over patinets symptoms resolve.

Zoe
I have been doing this for years as well. I am 42, almost 43 and have always battled these issues. My 17 year old daughter unfortunately does as well. She had mono when she was 13 and EVERY single menstrual cycle since has been like you all are talking about. She has had every blood test under the sun and same thing. Just that she has low iron. She gets a mid grade fever, sore throat, congestion and cough and EXTREME exhaustion; so extreme they cause panic attacks due to physical exhaustion as stated by her doctor. What concerns me most is she has major heart palpitations, but has had EKG's, and the like, which reveal only normal heart rhythm, which I'm happy abut but still concerned because she is getting no help. I have even had a doctor refer to what you all are talking about as "menstrual flu." The only treatment offered to her was just iron supplements, which she has been taking, to no avail. Praying God shows us more about how to treat this horrible and very inconvenient disease.
This has been happening to me ever since I started taking birth control. Maybe because of the hormonal change, but my doctor informed me that BC was supposed to reduce symptoms of pms. I'm confused as to why there is so little information on this when so many women are affected by it.
Glad to hear I am not alone!! I am 40 yrs old and I have ( for about 10 months now) been getting all sorts of things going wrong in my body just before my period. from cold, runny nose, sore throat, mouth ulcers, infections etc... and those symptons disapear within 3 days after my period comes. It is definitely immune system related!!! I guess is old age too!!
I to suffer from this for the past year or less! I have about 1.5-2 weeks a month that I feel decent. Otherwise the week before my period (always starts on a Thurs now) I am blown up like a balloon with bloating/gas. It hurts and My clothes don't fit right at all. Almost need to go up a size. Then on the Sunday before my period I get a sore throat. Then the headache starts. Then on Wednesday it's full blown sore throat/ears. Mostly sore from me clearing my throat. But I feel like my head is going to pop. Last night for the first time I must of had a fever because I was in bed with 3 blankets and my husbands warmth and I couldn't get warm. I had the chills and was shaking for about an hour. then I woke a little later and was roasting. So seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Then typically when my period starts the symptoms go away... like magic.
This sounds exactly like me! I'm 31. Before my period I feel run down, have wicked hot flashes and night sweats, congestion, sometimes a headache and then as soon as I start it all goes away.  Really really weird. I HATE that every month I can count on feeling like ****.  Last month I noticed it didnt happen, but I was in California.
Wow, amazed at these posts. I just went to the doctor this week to complain about similar symptoms before my period (flu-like weakness, sore throat, wobbly joints) and I left the office in tears, literally, because I was basically told it was all in my head because these PMS symptoms were not scientifically proven.  Well, when there is so little money being put into research in women's health, that's not surprising?!

I am so grateful for this validation, you all have no idea. I have also read that it could be a drop in progesterone before my period, so I want to look into that. But I don't know how considering that my doctor isn't being supportive. Guess I need to start a whole new doctor. Sigh. So sick of this lack of integrated medicine and cold, robotic, uncaring physicians.
I'm 32 and I have suffered with cold/allergy symptoms every month right before my period starts for about five years now. It's consistent and after reading the comments I feel like my concern is legitimate. My PCP told me to change my diet and recommended 1000 mg Vitamin C and a probiotic daily. My OBGYN told me that it's common and normal for women my age to experience a shift in hormones thus causing everything else to occur. I haven't had an allergy test to determine if anything in my diet is causing it. I guess my next step is to do that and try the Chastenberry extract. This type of problem does interfere with daily activities and life, yet my male doctors act like it's just nothing really to be concerned about.  
Viewing 201-231 comments: