Cold symptoms during period
I have searched the interenet and can not find any answers to my problem.
I have recurrent cold symptoms during my period. I have noticed the symptoms for about a year but for the last six months they have happened every month around the third day of my period. Symptoms include aching joints, blocked nose and headaches as well as generally feeling awful. Periods are heavy and painful with clotting for about seven-nine days. Cold Symptoms usually last 5-7days. GP tried to treat heavy periods with Tranexamic acid but I reacted with severe mouth ulcers (half tongue size) Again these ulcers would appear around day three. Now resolved by stopping the meds but heavy periods have returned. The symptoms are to regular for coincidence, can anyone help?
I've spent over$2000 going to my family doctor, an immunologist and an ENT. They told me I have asthma(all of a sudden, after 30), and I have allergies to dust and mold. I tried all the major brands and the last one he put me on I gave up on. It always seems I get sinus issues, ear pain and headaches a few days or a week before my period and within 24 hrs of starting, the sickness stops or seriously subsides. I don't get it and I've genuinely tried to find a problem. Bloodwork and immune system is top notch. So if any of you ladies find a cure, share please.
I am in my mid 40's and I have had the same "hormonal flu" since my late 30's.  I also noticed it seemed to get worse after stopping BC pills, but thought it was probaby a coincidence. Now that I see how many others say the same thing I don't feel so alone or 'crazy'.  
I to have suffered from this for 10-15 years.  It always starts on the first day of my period and feels exactly the same every time.  I'd say it happens 8 times a year.  None of my docs have ever heard of it.  Interestingly, I went into heart failure two years ago and it stopped!  I had no sinus infections for two whole years!  Unfortunately, it is back as of this week. : (.  My heart has been healing and is much stronger, but I feel miserable!  

Anyway, I thought the whole heart thing might be a clue...
Hello ! I'm 17 years old and I have gotten the same symptoms. This is the first period I've really noticed this though, other times my cold were not this severe. I know that it was caused by my period because I started having cold symptoms a few hours later. I was fine the day before and felt perfectly normal. Now I am suffering from a runny nose, sore throat, watery eyes, discomfort, headaches, and fatigue. My periods have been quite abnormal though ( I normally get mine every other day ) Also my last month, I had my period for more than 2 week and it was a weird color. I don't know what's wrong with me! I need to be in perfect health for my high school classes and ACT test :(
Hello all, I am 47 and I have had similar issues for the last 5-7 years or so on and off. I became aware of the connection between my sinus/allergy issues and my period  when I seemed to have sinus headaches and menstrual cramps at the same time. I thought it was just a weird coincidence. In the last few years I have had other issues such as a nervous jimmy leg, the feeling of bugs crawling over me which all happened right before my period. There have been even more symptoms of my mysterious condition - many I can’t remember at this moment but online research confirms my suspicions of hormonal imbalance which I have suffered on and off since I was about 20. My periods have been horrible.

I have tried many things - all natural but what worked best for me is Vitex, also known as chaste berry. It balances your hormones naturally.  Doctors are quick to recommend more hormones, even natural hormones  which I am weary of especially since they are not necessary. In addition to that I have greatly reduced the plastic in my life because they are endocrine disrupters.  One more thing that the general public is not aware of is the use of BPA (another endocrine disrupter) in store receipts. I know that it is something that we cannot completely avoid but we can lower our exposure by not handling them any more than necessary. Unless it is a major purchase, I say that I don’t need a receipt.  To reduce the amount of estrogen you can try DIM. It is also natural - derived from cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower.

Lastly, please don’t give up finding the answer so that you can improve the quality of your life. Reduce processed foods, foods that contain MSG and large amounts of soy which is full of hormones and eat as much fresh fruit and vegetables that you can. A healthy diet does make you feel better.
Im not alone. Im 35 and for about 2yrs now my body tells me when my period is about to come on. It gives me like a 2 weeks notice, I get real tired my body aches and i get flu like systems, coughing,body aching im litteraly stuck in the bed for the first day, chills, hot flashes headaches. The crazy part is that once my period goes off my systems go away. Please I need some help on how I can resolve this problem
bh2
bh3
For the last two years starting into my third year I get a cold every month starting with a sore throat going onto a full blown cold.  I got very tired of it I said it to three doctors and they all said there was nothing they could do I would just have to live with it.  I went to my chemist and he told me a story about somebody he knew that this used to happen to and they figured out she had an allergy to cats and when they got rid of the cats the colds went away.  I have two cats but I will not give them away so my chemist said to try flixonase anti allergy spray and for the last two months I have had no cold with my period I am so happy about this.  This may help somebody else.
bh2
I have had the same problem for over two years I get a cold every time I get my period starting with a sore throat and developing into a full cold.  I'm just getting over one cold when I get another one.  I have talked to about three doctors and they all say you just have to live with it..  I mentioned it to my chemist and he told me a story about somebody he knew who this happened to.  They figured out she had an allergy to cats and when the cats were removed this stopped happening.  The chemist recommended I try flixonase anti allergy spray and for the last two months I have had no cold I hope this helps somebody because it has made a bit difference to my life
Wow.  I have had the same symptoms for about 3 years.  I get unexplained night sweats, and a cold-flu with every period.  It was so bad I started taking the birth control seasonal- so I only have a period every other month.  But still I get a cold-flu every time!  I do know I have had severe anemia in the past.  So, I am thinking as soon as I get over this round of cold/menses I am going to have a serious talk with my Dr. There has to be a better way.  I think I am going to start with getting my anemia checked.  I do know I have microcytic anemia - my blood cells are smaller than normal.  The last period to this one was so bad, I got hives, and my joints locked up - the Dr. thought I may have RA because of the sudden onset.  But I tested negative for that.  I am convinced, especially with reading these posts that we all have something going on!
Look up hormone allergy this my be the problem
Ahh thank you ladies - I also have this happen to me for the last year. I'm 33 years old and I'm a singer so it's very stressful. It started happening to me after a burn out at the beginning of the year where I had tinnitus and no energy. (february 2012) After building my system up with vitamins, no coffee, rest - the tinnitus went away and by april I was still relatively low on energy but I went away overnight for work.

I had to get up very early to travel and no doubt I was exhausted. That night I was feeling a bit under the weather so ate a big steak for dinner - during the night got a horrendous cold, I couldn't sleep, runny nose, headache - felt terrible. The next day I got my period.

I noted in the months following (may, june) - i also got colds with symptoms starting 10 days before I would menstruate, which is also when I tend to feel slight pmt. I went to a kinesiologist/homeopath who suggested I don't eat red meat in the 2nd two weeks of my cycle. I am a type A blood type and if you believe in the blood type diet - red meat isn't supposed to be good for A's. Not sure if I do believe in the whole diet but I did notice when I cut out red meat, also took drops she prescribed me - I did not get the cold/allergy symptoms.

I am also allergic to wheat and I notice the symptoms I get prior to period are very similar to what happens if I eat wheat. I don't get a sore throat as such but my glands swell up to the point it feeels like my throat is inflamed - and i get mucous all over the vocal chords and I can't speak/sing. My ears are blocked, head cold feeling - but no sore throat. Just loads of mucous.

After a few months I actually forgot about the red meat thing and again in November while travelling I had the cold symptoms. Then in December no symptoms. But I'm writing today because now January 2013 I have them again and today I can hardly speak. I'm ten days out. I checked back in my calendar and I definitely ate meat near my period in November, not in December and this month I have been eating meat. So for me I really think these symptoms are more a kind of allergic reaction than an actual immune system drop and getting an actual cold. I am healthy and fit now. But the cold symptoms seem to come out of nowhere and like clockwork ten days before my period.

I think if you investigate possible sources of allergies in your diet/environment you'll have a much better chance of stopping the cold.

My mum - who is a nurse - mentioned today when I remembered the red meat thing - that if I am allergic when the immune system drops (prior to period) the body will be overloaded with histamines regarding any allergies and that causes all the mucous. I'm going to cut out red meat and dairy over the next months and see how I go - I think food allergies account for a huge amount of our ailments in modern life. Will report back when i know more.

Good luck everyone!
I am so excited that I found this site.....other women who has same problem as myslef. I have been cold (sneezing, coughing, mucus, cold, headache) since last June that almost lead asthma which I never had. I could not figure it out until I came to this site.
I do know that it was do with immune system, and i get this cold juz before my period..i waste 3-5 days being sick and un productive.
Few months ago, i had major hair lost and i did not pay much attention. As I started to read, i am realized it has to do with immune system.
The months when I do regular (2-3 times a week)  green juicing (Kale, cucumber, spinach, lime, ginger, carrrot) , i do not seem to get cold.  
my period is normal.
Diet seem to key too. last 2 days i have been eating more carb meals, then cold came back. I have not been juicing.
I am going try low carb and juicing aleast 5 days a wk and see how this diet goes.
Will update.

Want to be me again  

Hi all,

Since September 2012 I have been experiencing the same symptoms. My baby started to go to daycare and he now brings all the germs home and right before I get my period, if he happens to be sick at that time, I catch it from him.

I started to take some immune booster pills which I got from Amazon last month, but that didn't make any difference and I got sick with the same monthly flu on 3/15 and have been having all the symptoms for about two weeks now.

Since September, almost every month, I get a Z pack from my doctor (Azithromycin antibiotic) but this time, it didn't even help.

Yesterday I went to see a different family doctor and she said it could be allergy and she told me to start taking OTC Claritin 10 mg and nasal spray two weeks before I get my period and see if that helps. She said the phlegm color (yellow and bloody) could also be an indication of an allergy problem.But I think since my body's immune system is at its weakest before and during the period, then when I am around a sick person or germs, I will catch it easier so the answer could be that we have to do something about our immune system.

I work out everyday and eat Lean Cuisine for lunch everyday and take all sorts of vitamins on a daily basis but I still get sick since I put my kid into a daycare.

I would really appreciate it if someone could please help me find a cure for this problem.
In 2012 I got sick on the first day of my cycle, with whatever was going around, twice the flu, other times a cold that would last a full week and wipe me out.  After being sick 8 out of 10 cycles I started doing some research.  I found this site and it was great to feel not alone.  Somewhere someone suggested progesterone.  I started taking 100mg progesterone in a gelatin/troche form. (It's like a fruit snack consistency that you let disolve under your tounge).  I take it every day and I have not gotten sick with my cycle since.  It's been about 6 months now.  I have cut back to 50mg a day now.  Also, there is only one pharmacy around that makes the troches, but my Dr knew where they made them.  And my dr prescribed it for me but I honestly don't think he believed me that my symptoms coinsided with my cycle.  But I was tested specifially for that and I was low in progesterone. Don't know if this will help anyone, but I hope it does.  This year has been SO different than last year.  
Yes this has happened to me for the last few years. Instead of cramps I get real bad cold symptoms a week before my cycle. This time around it is lasting a lot longer and has spread. First 2 days I had a stuffy nose. Then I had a real bad sore throat. So bad I went to the doctor to get tested for strep throat. Test came back negative and was told I just had a viral infection and to take NyQuil, Tylenol , Motrin or nasal sprays. No antibiotics just over the counter meds. Well that was 5 days ago and the symptoms have gotten worse. Now I have a stiff neck (past 2 days), earache, and swollen glands in the throat area. Sleep has been horrible waking every few hours and I've been doped on meds. It's like when one area is back to normal another area checks out. I need answers!
I always get a stuffy head, drippy nose, etc. beginning a few days before my period.  Several years ago, I noticed it would morph into a sinus infection regularly.  I went to my regular MD to get treated for a sinus infection, it would clear up, then the next month the cycle would start over.  I went to a Chinese herbalist and she asked if I had noticed if it was related to my monthly cycle.  Prior to that I hadn't noticed but watched for this for a couple of months.  It was related to my cycle.  She had me take something called "Five Gentlemen" (or something like that) and after I was on that I had no more period-related colds or sinus problems.  Unfortunately we moved away from that city and I had a hard time getting the herbs.  My symptoms have come back.  Thanks for the tip on the herbs you take.  I will try them!
What happened to all the folks who were going to go to their docs and report on results?? I also have recently started noticing sinus/cold/flu symptoms a few days before my period. I'm prone to respiratory infections anyways so it usually drains into my chest and I get pneumonia, then require antibiotics. I have nodules on my thyroid that the ENT won't biopsy yet claiming they're not big enough and have a history of thyroid issues and female cancers so I'm really leaning towards hormone issues. Going to see my doc in a few days since this bout has been particularly bad. Anyone with any updates??
I'm a vegan and never had these symptoms of freezing to death during pms until I did so. I use very little refined sugar and eat tons of tofu and drink soy milk, and lots of veggies and fruit. I know my thyroid is under control as I just had it tested. I have fibromyalgia too but the cold with pms is painful! Seeing the doc in two days. This suuuuucks!
Mel how do you know all this? Do you have medical training or is this knowledge from your own experience?
I'm 45 and started recently to show signs of illness-reactions just 2 days prior to my menstrual cycle. I get flu-like symptoms, aches, pain, lethargy, stomach upsets, cramps, nausea, a whole host of symptoms... which last from 2-4 days.
I've recently been medically diagnosed with a confirmed blood test to have contracted HSV2, and I already have incredibly unpredictable, constant bouts of Shingles, every 2 months on average.
Blood tests come back "normal" when I seek help to identify what's wrong, thyroid, FBE, etc.
A friend told me that I need to be tested for Gluten Intolerance... and from I've read in your post, Sheesh... I have to start to wonder...
I have otherwise been a very healthy, very health conscious vegetarian for 20yrs with only occasional issues of low iron levels.
In the last 4yrs I have been sick with just about every symptom under the sun, as mentioned above and just cannot seem to pick myself up even enduring a bout of Pneumonia last year...
I might find it tough to do a full elimation diet as a vegetarian, so I might try a food sensitivity test.
Thanks for an interesting post, gave me a lot to think about.
So happy I found this forum!!!!

I too have been experiencing flu like symptoms a 2-3 day before my cycle
(for over a year).  I am interested in knowing if anyone was able to get a diagnosis from any of their medical doctors and if there is some form of treatment.   I myself have tried a lot of things between changing eating habits, taking vitamin's and other supplements.   Some months are much worse than others.  This month I feel as if I have the severe flu and was totally down and out in bed for a full day.    Which is bad ... cuz I never stay in bed ....    Any help or advice would be so very appreciated .  Thank you and god bless all of you.   :0)
OMG me too! I was hoping there would be an answer. Glad to know I'm not alone though.
Thanks Mel,

This is a great informative post. I am an Osteopath & Naturopath and have found many patients in chronic pain and chronic inflammatory states have such food intolerances that go undiagnosed. I often give this kind of protocol to my patients along with a supportive nutrient suppliment to help them through an elimination diet. We usually discuss that the worst that can happen from going through this kind of diet is that your symptoms don't change but you loose weight! With that most people want to try it. However, many times over patinets symptoms resolve.

Zoe
I have been doing this for years as well. I am 42, almost 43 and have always battled these issues. My 17 year old daughter unfortunately does as well. She had mono when she was 13 and EVERY single menstrual cycle since has been like you all are talking about. She has had every blood test under the sun and same thing. Just that she has low iron. She gets a mid grade fever, sore throat, congestion and cough and EXTREME exhaustion; so extreme they cause panic attacks due to physical exhaustion as stated by her doctor. What concerns me most is she has major heart palpitations, but has had EKG's, and the like, which reveal only normal heart rhythm, which I'm happy abut but still concerned because she is getting no help. I have even had a doctor refer to what you all are talking about as "menstrual flu." The only treatment offered to her was just iron supplements, which she has been taking, to no avail. Praying God shows us more about how to treat this horrible and very inconvenient disease.
This has been happening to me ever since I started taking birth control. Maybe because of the hormonal change, but my doctor informed me that BC was supposed to reduce symptoms of pms. I'm confused as to why there is so little information on this when so many women are affected by it.
Glad to hear I am not alone!! I am 40 yrs old and I have ( for about 10 months now) been getting all sorts of things going wrong in my body just before my period. from cold, runny nose, sore throat, mouth ulcers, infections etc... and those symptons disapear within 3 days after my period comes. It is definitely immune system related!!! I guess is old age too!!
I to suffer from this for the past year or less! I have about 1.5-2 weeks a month that I feel decent. Otherwise the week before my period (always starts on a Thurs now) I am blown up like a balloon with bloating/gas. It hurts and My clothes don't fit right at all. Almost need to go up a size. Then on the Sunday before my period I get a sore throat. Then the headache starts. Then on Wednesday it's full blown sore throat/ears. Mostly sore from me clearing my throat. But I feel like my head is going to pop. Last night for the first time I must of had a fever because I was in bed with 3 blankets and my husbands warmth and I couldn't get warm. I had the chills and was shaking for about an hour. then I woke a little later and was roasting. So seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Then typically when my period starts the symptoms go away... like magic.
This sounds exactly like me! I'm 31. Before my period I feel run down, have wicked hot flashes and night sweats, congestion, sometimes a headache and then as soon as I start it all goes away.  Really really weird. I HATE that every month I can count on feeling like ****.  Last month I noticed it didnt happen, but I was in California.
Wow, amazed at these posts. I just went to the doctor this week to complain about similar symptoms before my period (flu-like weakness, sore throat, wobbly joints) and I left the office in tears, literally, because I was basically told it was all in my head because these PMS symptoms were not scientifically proven.  Well, when there is so little money being put into research in women's health, that's not surprising?!

I am so grateful for this validation, you all have no idea. I have also read that it could be a drop in progesterone before my period, so I want to look into that. But I don't know how considering that my doctor isn't being supportive. Guess I need to start a whole new doctor. Sigh. So sick of this lack of integrated medicine and cold, robotic, uncaring physicians.
I'm 32 and I have suffered with cold/allergy symptoms every month right before my period starts for about five years now. It's consistent and after reading the comments I feel like my concern is legitimate. My PCP told me to change my diet and recommended 1000 mg Vitamin C and a probiotic daily. My OBGYN told me that it's common and normal for women my age to experience a shift in hormones thus causing everything else to occur. I haven't had an allergy test to determine if anything in my diet is causing it. I guess my next step is to do that and try the Chastenberry extract. This type of problem does interfere with daily activities and life, yet my male doctors act like it's just nothing really to be concerned about.  
hi,I am also suffering from theses same symptoms very difficult to work sometimes so full up of flu like symptoms every month I will also try the reccomendations all listed..
Thanks.donna
I'm a 56 year old post menopausal woman taking topical hormone replacement . My problem is every time I get a spray tan, I start bleeding the next day. First I thought this was just a coincidence but now I think it's some chemical causing the problem. I checked with the salon about the ingredients but nothing seems to be of a estrogen base ...??? Any thoughts
I am pleased to have found this forum having searched the Internet 10 years ago and found nothing!

I am 53, living in the UK, and have suffered from cold/flu symptoms during 'some' of my periods for over 15 years, more often or not in the winter months. I too like many of you on this forum went to my doctor who didn't have a clue who I felt didn't quite believe me.

Anyway, for the last 8-9 years I've been wearing an IUS (intra-uterine system) called Mirena, which I use as a contraceptive but it also stops/lessens my periods as a bonus. Since then I havent been getting the cold/flu symtoms so frequently however, I've got a cold now (as well as the signs of a period) which has prompted me to search the Internet again!!

I really do hope a medical researcher will investigate this one day (If I was younger I would go back to school myself!) because I believe this is more common than we think. I too suspect it's got something to do with the weakening of the immune system just before the onset of menstruation which allows cold viruses to attack.

Thanks for listening.
On Monday I came up with a sore throat and tuessday progressed to a severe cold that was more like the flu, so i decided to take the whole week sick, i was really tired and had chills and a fever. my  friends told me it's better if i take some rest to ease my bad cold, Some thought that i was so bad, that i needed someone to drive my car home. Wednesday evening i found out my symptoms had disappeared to find out i was menstruating...i  was surprised because usually a 'true' cold/flu would last about 2 weeks , so i though this is something that has to do with hormones and menstrual cycle? Reading posts here i am thinking i'm not the only one with this problem. Prior to this month i had a 15 day cycle which i spoke to my ob/gyn who said it might be that i'm entering menopause that's why i am having this cycle havoc. could this be possible? thanks in advance for any feedback. i'm a 39 yr old woman so no surprise here.
I have cold symptoms just before my period starts. I'm 50 years old. At the beginning of last year I learned I have GERD and IBS so I went on a strict diet no wheat dairy or sugar. I started getting my period every 4 months. Then in October I went back home to England to visit family and friends. My diet went out the window. I put on 8 pounds was 119. I got two periods in 2 months. With cold symptoms. when I was in England I was eating anything and was feeling fine so I cintinued not on purpose just couldn't stop really. The sugar cravings were the worst. Chocolate especially. But I really believe it's the dairy that affects the menstral cycle. Because on tv everyone now talking about fat is good for you and we should eat more fat and no sugar. So I went with it. I get soo fed up with my boring diet sometimes I get carried up with the new diet fad and I forget yeh that's ok for a normal person but I have GERD and IBS so it's not for me. So now I get it and I'm back on MY diet what works for me. I believe diet is the key to our health issues as in the food we eat. And pills are not the answer. You have to find the food that works for you. Make a food diary. Go through a food elimination process. Eat healthy foods make a note how you feel after you've eaten something that doesn't quite feel right so you can look back and go oh yeah it did that last time. Good luck
Take a look at this post that discusses how increases in estrogen--like during ovulation--suppresses women's immune systems specifically something called Th17:  http://www.livescience.com/36067-women-prone-infections-ovulating.html
The rationale is that it makes women's bodies more accepting of foreign sperm to allow the sperm a better chance to fertilize an egg. They also think that the rise in progesterone after ovulation may stimulate the immune system.
Apparent moral of the story, track your cycle and boost your immune system prior to ovulating!

Hope this helps explain the issue better.
Hi, I've also been getting cold like symptoms before menstrating. It's been a nightmare. I've done a bit a research and it's the progesterone that can dilate the upper airway and other areas in the body, causing several problems. It's a nightmare but I would suggest taking ibuprofen 3 times a day. Another medication I'm about to try is vitamin B6 which can help fluid retention (breast tenderness), mood changes and fatigue. Hope this helps. Susie
I am so glad for this site. Thank you everyone.

I woke up early on Monday morning with a cold and it lingered but not enough to take time off work. I hardly had a sore throat but then I realised I was losing my voice. Without my voice I cannot work. I also felt very weak. I also had a bit of diarrhoea.

This doesn't happen for every period, however I've seen it more regularly as I've got older

I now understand that I am not crazy and it's not only happening to me!

I started to research maybe it was my immune system, then I rang a doctors and EVERY lady doctor was busy for the whole weekend!

I am 29 years old and we are thinking of starting a family soon and I thought I would need to be fully healthy and well before we start trying.

thanks again for sharing your story.

Dairy does cause congestion and inflammation and regular milk may contain hormones (versus organic). I have been told mainly to avoid milk and cream. However, milk is one of the few sources where we can also avoid osteoporosis.
I am 48 years of age and I was diagnosed 15 years ago with Uterine Fibroids (from 2008-2010) those fibroids made me appear to look 20-22 weeks pregnant). My periods started to become bad in my early 30's prior to this diagnosis. In 2010, I had an embolization that shrunk the fibroids by approximately 50 percent. My periods much like most of those being noted caused me headaches, bloating, inflammation and major congestion (including  the cold symptoms, with sneezing, stuffy nose, and congestion in my throat and lungs). Since the procedure I still have all the same symptoms - with fewer headaches and less blood flow than before.

At first physicians would say - it's the fibroids causing the problems. Recently, the new tagline is peri-menapause and now I get it's just menopause.  As an educated person, I turn to research, science and choose teaching hospitals for my information. Not all doctors are interested in their areas and the focus is on treating the symptoms often w/o diagnostics to treat the problem. I am a huge believer that we should be tested for hormones and we should treat the cause or balance those symptoms versus this trial and error method that is being used.

I was happy to read someone was told after a test they had low progesterone and their doctor came up with a local solution for care. We need more of that. It's amazing that people have to suffer for years even though we have answers right here in the US that could make our lives better.
it started march of 2014, flu like symptoms before my period. I was told i also I had allergy's. Finally got tested this year and I dont!!! Some months are worse then others. headache,  achy muscles, sinus pain, fatigue, upset stomach, watery eyes, blurred vision and so on..... I have noticed that I can tell how bad its going to get by my eyes. The blurry vision and watering eyes is the first to start. This month I even got a low fever which dosnt normally happen. I also  have only a week or two of feeling somewhat normal. I am going to print this page for my doctor, I believe she thinks Im a hypochondriac. I too thought I was going crazy. Our doctors truly need to find out what is going on and stop throwing antibiotics at us and saying its allergy's !!!!!!  Before this all started I hadn't been sick in years and my husband was the one who noticed that I was always sick and started my period! he said " baby why are you always sick when you start your period"  I said HOLY CRAP YOUR RIGHT
I get the exact same flu like symptoms/horiffic sore throat every month, it starts a few days before my period. I was told the only thing the can do is prescribe me the pill but I'm about to get married and start trying for babies so that isn't an option. My periods aren't heavy so after the first day I don't feel too bad, but before the period for anything up to a week I feel awful and am often bedridden for a few days. Have you managed to do anything at all to help your symptoms?
My daughter is 16, she suffers from horrible cold symptoms every month when she gets her period. (fever, headache, coughing) but the bad part is that the cough she gets will not go away until I take her in and get an antibiotic. Ive taken her to the Dr several times, but no real answers or solution to the problem.
What's going on?! This is so frustration. It sounds like people who suffer from this have to become detectives with diet, vitamins, Dr visits, skin products ect until we figure out and narrow down the source of the problem... I don't know what else to do.
I've got her on iron supplements, BC, very little dairy, healthy foods/organic.
She keeps coming to me, her Mom, looking for help and answer's and I feel helpless that I cannot make this all better for her. :(
Years ago I noticed that I was getting a cold just about every time I had my period. My doctor referred me to an ENT, who was not surprised, and told me it is a "lining thing." Basically, all of the mucous membranes in the body are swelling and producing extra mucous at the same time. If I remember correctly, I became pregnant shortly thereafter, and we never really resolved the issue. But, I also never had this issue while on the Pill. So, having hormones tested or considering birth control may be something to consider regarding this issue.
I have the exact same symptoms as you!! Besides from the blood work. I get my normal physical once a year which are all normal. I was on birth control from the age of 14 to the age of 29. Have been off of it for a year and a few months now. Every month right before my period I either get a terrible sinus infection or a bad cold! It's so very frustrating. I was thinking something was terribly wrong with me until I started to read how other women suffer with the same symptoms as I do on a monthly basis around the mentrual time. It really does suck! I'm thinking it's the bodies way of detoxing itself.
Omg this happens to me as well !!! Has been happening past 1 almost 2 years idk what to do I'm sitting here in the winter time it's snowed where I live and I'm sneezing up a storm I just recently was able to put 2 and 2 together and say oh I must be getting my period I was told though like some months ago after an MRI I have what they call a begnin cyst on my pituitary gland and I'm curious as to if that may be partly or fully responsible for what I'm feeling I never even thought to ask I'm glad to know I'm not alone because I can't seem to understand it
Did you ever get your prolactin levels check and if so did they show as being high? I only wonder I I think onmaybjavebthis problem but my GP won't do anything as my prolactin levels are ok.
Not sure what happened to my post and why it has all those numbers and what not I didn't write those and am new to this site don't know how to delete or edit it so sorry
I don't know if anyone will be able to use this advice, seeing as most of the comments here were posted years ago but I just wanted to share and maybe help someone. I was suffering from the exact same problem- cold symptoms during and even before/after my period. It got to the point where I was so weak and ill that I felt well for about one week each month and was essentially in bed for the duration of my period. After about one year I could not take it anymore. I demanded answers! My doctor (and my mother who is nurse) thought it seemed more like a histamine reaction (allergy) that was occurring when my hormones were kicking up. I began taking an anti-histamine (zyrtec) every day to build the medicine up in my system. By the time my period came, I did not seem to have the same cold symptoms I usually have. So far, the anti-histamine has done more than vitamins, increased exercise, juice cleanses, increased sleep, extra water have done. I will continue to monitor how they work for me but at this time, they seem to work pretty well. I hope this helps someone!
Girls, I was searching for the same, got similar symptoms. Apparently our immune systems are the weakest during ovulation and the infection catches up by the time our periods start.
Those having muscle aches, drink lots of water; it helps reduce them. :)
I am the same!!! I always get a cold/flu before/during my period! I keep thinking that maybe something is wrong and how I am the only one but when I researched, I found others are the same! I take Zyrtec like nearly every day but that doesnt help.. Dont know what to do???